Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

I thought they were gonna do a crazy heroic death for Ed, like on ascent he realises that fuel is burning quicker than they expect but doesn't say anything to Kelly, acting like everything is going to plan, fuel runs out at the moment she needs to separate, and while she jets to safety he falls back towards Mars, doomed but at peace with his life.

I was expecting / hoping for this while watching, sort of :smith: I'm still #teamEd all the way to Europa, but it would've been a nice ending, and a nod to the Gordo-Tracy-thing.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

The fake-out I could see is Margot somehow got out of her punishment and her being in Russia is not some covert extraction to avoid prison time or whatever but the whole mars support had to move there after the JSC blew up and there are still joint US/USSR operations that she is involved with.

Well we know the season two 1995 peek was a fake-out of sorts, so I fully expect the Margo plotline to be something stupid and not what we're supposed to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are two BSG writers who still work on the show, so it could be their influence? Weddle and Thompson, who wrote pretty much every Starbuck episode across the four seasons of that show.

Oh god that explains a lot thanks

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
This show owns. Y'all are a bunch of cry babies.

Karen's story was fuckin done. We absolutely did not need to see her being a #girlboss CEO next season. Her story arc was complete.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

This show owns. Y'all are a bunch of cry babies.

Karen's story was fuckin done. We absolutely did not need to see her being a #girlboss CEO next season. Her story arc was complete.
What thread are you reading, I don’t think literally a single person wanted Karen’s story to continue.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Vegetable posted:

What thread are you reading, I don’t think literally a single person wanted Karen’s story to continue.

literally read the last two pages

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Also haven't seen many crybabies in this thread. Most people who have criticised the show have also said it's still decent.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

literally read the last two pages
Thread consensus seems to be that ending Karen’s story when they did is weird because it kind of retroactively makes her whole arc from this season pointless. This is annoying not because we were all clamoring to see GirlBoss Karen running Helios, but because her arc this season wasn’t all that compelling in the first place so if it wasn’t going to mean anything then why bother soaking up screen time with it?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

For all it's initial presentation as grounded sci-fi, this show somewhat leans into the mythos of space pioneers as ten foot tall folk heroes, so of course they can't just retire or get a job on the speaking circuit. And even when they do, the call to back adventure ultimately gives them one last chance to go out in a blaze of glory and exit this mortal realm through the gates of Valhalla.

Half the people who die aren't even astronauts or dying in space. Molly could have just died from cancer offscreen. Karen could have just gone off and done her CEO poo poo with maybe a cameo in the next season. Writing everyone off by dying just makes the other deaths not matter much.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I was actually really looking forward to the conclusion of President Ellen's storyline and seeing a reconciliation of her lovely republican base with the reality of her inner self. I hope we get some sort of resolution next season but I fear it will just be swept under the rug.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Overdrift posted:

I was actually really looking forward to the conclusion of President Ellen's storyline and seeing a reconciliation of her lovely republican base with the reality of her inner self. I hope we get some sort of resolution next season but I fear it will just be swept under the rug.

It’d be interesting if Ellen somehow starts a weird fiscally conservative/socially progressive Log Cabin Republican movement. I don’t know if compassionate conservative is actually possible, but that would at least be an alternate history political subplot that I would pay attention to.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

I don’t know if compassionate conservative is actually possible, but that would at least be an alternate history political subplot that I would pay attention to.

I'll buy fusion rockets and sui-soyuzes to Mars, but the idea of a compassionate conservative is just fantasy nonsense lol lmao

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i think this is an extremely dumb and bad show whose driving assumptions are fundamentally flawed but im absolutely going to keep watching it because im curious how much of a soap opera this turns into

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Tighclops posted:

I'll buy fusion rockets and sui-soyuzes to Mars, but the idea of a compassionate conservative is just fantasy nonsense lol lmao

Granted, I also hope Ed gets a noble death fighting sky squid in the upper atmosphere of Venus. I can suspend my disbelief for a good time.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

In 2014 we encounter extra solar life that tries to eliminate the human race as a pathogen that threatens the galaxy. Mankind then develops the degeneracy generator to travel faster than light. Then… the Gunbuster.

(In this version Ed is coach)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’d be interesting if Ellen somehow starts a weird fiscally conservative/socially progressive Log Cabin Republican movement. I don’t know if compassionate conservative is actually possible, but that would at least be an alternate history political subplot that I would pay attention to.

Will she even be back? I can see mentions of her but I sort of thought the final scene with her was a nice send off.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
I watched this season with a growing sense that the writers were basically removing most of the "bad poo poo" from American history in the 80s and 90s. No Reagan means no Reaganism, and the show doesn't really touch on racial issues all that much. No Rodney King / LA Riots, no US turbo-fuckery in the ME at all really. The OKC Bombing substitute didn't really seem politically motivated at all either. It was just a bunch of hippie weirdos with no real agenda, as opposed to McVeigh who was extremely political and killed his victims in an effort to kick off a war with the federal government.

So basically the American Right has been reduced to being anti-gay in this show, which is fine but also reeks of the liberal tendency to assume reactionaries are just misled / troubled people who can be brought back via the correct rhetoric.

The show does a decent job occasionally showing that Soviet society is/was capable of doing great things, while going out of its way to stress that there were excessively authoritarian tendencies in the Soviet government. The US isn't really given that same critical analysis and all our negatives are boiled down to "gay people were treated poorly in the 90s" which is of course true, but only scratches the surface of how lovely our domestic and foreign policies were in that era (and continue to be).

All this to say, I agree with the above poster that the show is really leaning into The Great Man Theory of History. "Ellen became President therefore not only did Regan never happen, but conservatism after Nixon also disappears from the timeline" is a tough sell.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 17, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Reagan still got two terms as President in this timeline, he just started in 76 instead of 80. Jimmy Carter got hosed over AGAIN and didn't even get a single term :smith:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Jerusalem posted:

Reagan still got two terms as President in this timeline, he just started in 76 instead of 80. Jimmy Carter got hosed over AGAIN and didn't even get a single term :smith:

Jimmy needs to get off his and start building homes for cry baby coal miners that blew their money on four wheelers and Coors Light.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah I agree the show is extremely lib.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Ok fair enough but in some ways I think that makes my point in another way. He was just "generic good President" with none of the bad poo poo ever being discussed. No Iran/Contra, no Desert Storm, def no squeezing Iraq in the 90s via sanctions, etc etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He was the guy who sent the military to the moon with guns to build nuclear weapons with a secret generator and kicked off armed battles with the Soviets that lead the planet to the brink of nuclear war until his dementia-riddled mind saw a nice astronaut shaking hands with a nice cosmonaut on the news and decided to fly straight to Moscow and declare an end to hostilities.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Ok fair enough but in some ways I think that makes my point in another way. He was just "generic good President" with none of the bad poo poo ever being discussed. No Iran/Contra, no Desert Storm, def no squeezing Iraq in the 90s via sanctions, etc etc.

Uh, desert storm and anything in the 90s was also not Reagan.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Bush I presidency is Reagan fallout

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I'm gay for Ellen

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I watched this season with a growing sense that the writers were basically removing most of the "bad poo poo" from American history in the 80s and 90s. No Reagan means no Reaganism, and the show doesn't really touch on racial issues all that much. No Rodney King / LA Riots, no US turbo-fuckery in the ME at all really. The OKC Bombing substitute didn't really seem politically motivated at all either. It was just a bunch of hippie weirdos with no real agenda, as opposed to McVeigh who was extremely political and killed his victims in an effort to kick off a war with the federal government.

"the bombing still happened, but wasn't politically motivated in this timeline" is such a perfect example of the liberal approach to alternate history

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I mean, it's anti overnment and antifederal agency, but yeah many fewer teeth clearly.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

Uh, desert storm and anything in the 90s was also not Reagan.

Right, but I don't just mean Reagan. In the show, the US is depicted as a fairly wholesome, rational actor that occasionally pushes a little too far in the name of winning the space race but otherwise doesn't engage in any shady poo poo against the USSR. In reality, the Cold War is a lengthy and gruesome catalog of US /western corporate crimes against humanity and once it ended, we really didn't pump the brakes. The show doesn't address the dark side of US imperialism at all.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Wonder how many children Ed bombed in Korea

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We won't be laughing when, after Ellen destroys the Republican party and all conservative thought is eradicated, we meet interstellar life who plans to destroy us unless we can produce members of our society who are very vocal about oppressing a minority group while secretly being a part of, or having a close family member that is a part of that group.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

DropsySufferer posted:

This show finally broke the suspension of disbelief for me with the North Korean on Mars. It's just too silly, North Korea is a client state of China. China wouldn't allow it and the Soviets who would be providing the materials wouldn't either.

It's beyond possibilitiy that North Korea could have a space program without massive Chinese and Soviet help and do anything without their approval. The Kim family wouldn't risk the wrath of Beijing and the Soviets for a stunt like this.

They can’t use China because Apple is a major business partner with them and they don’t want to offend or piss them off in anyway. It’s just like that game Homefront where it was originally going to be China but they had to change it to North Korea same with the red dawn sequel. It’s why China is barely even mentioned in the show. I feel like the writers originally wanted China and were told no way

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Marsupial Ape posted:

The biggest plot hole is that there is somehow poverty due to free energy. Quite the goddam opossite. The cheap energy production would drastically lower the cost of everything. Or even elimate the concept of cost. Putting aside the fact that the smartest decision would be to set up a jobs program putting those skilled laborers to work constructing the new fusion plants, they have had fusion long enough that the overhead costs of civilization should be so low that it is trivial to fund universal health care and UBI. It’s loving stupid people are mad about fusion.

You want that good communism, you gotta get that free and clean energy, first. After that, you can’t even use human work as measurement of worth because it has become irrelevant.

Man you have a lot of faith in humanity

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Noob Saibot posted:

Man you have a lot of faith in humanity

In the humanity that should probably survive this particular bottle neck event, at least.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Noob Saibot posted:

They can’t use China because Apple is a major business partner with them and they don’t want to offend or piss them off in anyway. It’s just like that game Homefront where it was originally going to be China but they had to change it to North Korea same with the red dawn sequel. It’s why China is barely even mentioned in the show. I feel like the writers originally wanted China and were told no way

It would be hilarious if it's "people's republic of Korea" because they just did a find and replace on China in the script.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

It would be hilarious if it's "people's republic of Korea" because they just did a find and replace on China in the script.

More likely when they pitched the season the producers or Apple rep told them it was a No-Go

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Not sure how it burnishes China's pride to have them be a complete non-factor in the space race

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Not sure how it burnishes China's pride to have them be a complete non-factor in the space race

Did they say anything about China at all? Or can I assume the much more successful USSR won their conflict and the Chinese space program is now launching student minisats?

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Speaking of Apple meddling... Did anyone else find the Shiner promotion like super distracting and weird? I love Shiner beer but I wasn't expecting them to show up here at all lol.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I have never heard of shiner in my life

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s a Texas thing but it’s also barely above Lone Star or Natty Light in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Noob Saibot posted:

Ah it all makes sense now. China's power to influence US media is a little scary.

Apple should have had Taiwan be part of China in this alternative universe in exchange for China being in the show. :china: