Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

been laughing at the end of this chapter for like 10 minutes. wattamanga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

Dog Kisser posted:

Haha gently caress that's one way to solve the trolley problem

Somebody please edit Denji into this.

Also lol that i thought Fujimoto was having problems with the weekly pacing and he comes out with a 48 pages chapter.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Even if Chainsaw Man didn't show up in some of the sickest paneling I've seen for an action scene in some time it was already a great chapter but holy gently caress the cockroach devil (who is yuge lol) going "uwahhhh?!" at Denji solving his trolley problem was so loving funny as is chainsaw man saving them by accident.

Really blessed to be reading this manga for real

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
chose the rip & tear option and god bless chainsaw man for making it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scallop Eyes posted:

Somebody please edit Denji into this.

Also lol that i thought Fujimoto was having problems with the weekly pacing and he comes out with a 48 pages chapter.

https://mobile.twitter.com/spect_ion/status/1559566102140690433

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:sickos:

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

quick edit

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This is such an amazing chapter, holy poo poo.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Chainsaw Man is so good it’s almost unfair to any other comic on the market.

The fact that we have comics as good as Chainsaw Man and Dandadan running at the same time is a goddamn miracle.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Denji did not just solve the trolley problem, he solved the truth:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
the ending is obviously great, but the old guy going "aw you saved a cat, that's sweet" and then asa bursting into tears was also good

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Perfect manga.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the perfect entrance

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
we don't negotiate with terrorists demons

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hace posted:

the ending is obviously great, but the old guy going "aw you saved a cat, that's sweet" and then asa bursting into tears was also good

It's a parallel between the protagonists. Asa let her mother die when saving a cat, and was praised for it, which further traumatized her.

Denji let six people die when saving a cat, was praised for it, and at least on the surface doesn't care, just giving a cool action movie one-liner. He's a hero (he's a superhero), the hero of today, but to survive in the role, he can't give the same attention to the people he failed to save.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I love it because Denji knows the choices are bullshit because he'd already lost everything by making bullshit choices and he's content with just saving a cat, meanwhile for Asa it was the worst thing in the world and she lost her mother trying to save something else. Just showing the differences between the two main characters so simply rules.

I do like that Asa knows its a stupid loving idea to try to save someone but she does it anyway. Good character.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

:cabot:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Please tell me that cat was Meowy

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Good to see tornado meat baby again. I was hoping to see chainsaw riding beam as well, but alas.

Denji chose wrong.

I’m not a cat person.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Please tell me that cat was Meowy

It wasn't.

New cat is a Siamese.

Honestly, it's amazing how people assume every single character is a returning character in disguise, no matter how impossible.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

the cat was very meowy check the last panel

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
All I got from this chapter is that cats are evil.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

This manga never fails to impress and amuse

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I dunno. Denji not giving a poo poo about saving anyone seemed a little out of character but maybe things have changed since the last series and maybe he's more Chainsaw than Denji now.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Eggplant Squire posted:

I dunno. Denji not giving a poo poo about saving anyone seemed a little out of character but maybe things have changed since the last series.

The chainsaw devil is the devil you cry out to save you from other devils, and then the chainsaw devil cuts apart everyone at the scene. that was said in part 1! I don't think Denji ever particularly valued human life either.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

I love it because Denji knows the choices are bullshit because he'd already lost everything by making bullshit choices and he's content with just saving a cat, meanwhile for Asa it was the worst thing in the world and she lost her mother trying to save something else. Just showing the differences between the two main characters so simply rules.

Not just making bullshit choices.

Worrying about bullshit choices.

Denji's internal conflict over having killed Aki lead to Power's death, while committing to choices, rough as it got, still left him in a position to get back up and keep going.

Thinking about who he could have saved means fewer people he will save.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Jerkface posted:

The chainsaw devil is the devil you cry out to save you from other devils, and then the chainsaw devil cuts apart everyone at the scene. that was said in part 1! I don't think Denji ever particularly valued human life either.

He did. When he was fighting Santa Claus he was rattled when she sent the doll people at him and had to be reminded that they were almost certainly beyond any sort of saving. Chainsaw Devil and Chainsaw Man aren't the same which was the problem Makima was trying to resolve.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Denji actively saved people every chance he got in part 1 but I think the point of this is that given a bullshit supervillain choice Denji's always going to go with option 3

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So Asa's mom killed by another incarnation of typhoon, right?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, I think the thing about Denji is that he fundamentally doesn't believe he can save everyone, so he just goes for the easy option of killing the incredibly lethal monster he's fighting and hoping that will save a lot of people. It's not callousness, it's a lack of self-worth (or a lack of arrogance, if you're feeling more charitable).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Killing the bad guy is definitely the correct call, if he's prepared to play this game then he'll keep killing people as long as he's alive.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I keep re-reading the last couple pages and am continually impressed by panel composition and the way sound effect visuals are incorporated into it. There was some twitter thread (I think from the official translator?) about it during Part 1, and Fujimoto is still absolutely crushing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's pretty simple.

Denji's priorities for saving are

Boobs
Food
Cat
Other

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, I think the thing about Denji is that he fundamentally doesn't believe he can save everyone, so he just goes for the easy option of killing the incredibly lethal monster he's fighting and hoping that will save a lot of people. It's not callousness, it's a lack of self-worth (or a lack of arrogance, if you're feeling more charitable).

A (Chainsaw) man's got to know his limitations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah, it's the correct choice assuming you aren't fast enough to save people *and* kill the monster. It's not the easy choice, but if a dude is blitzing around destroying a city you don't take a time out to save a few people when you have the kill shot. You take the killshot, and it's over.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Eggplant Squire posted:

I dunno. Denji not giving a poo poo about saving anyone seemed a little out of character but maybe things have changed since the last series and maybe he's more Chainsaw than Denji now.

A person can change personality after not having seen them in a while? Impossible!?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Flair posted:

A person can change personality after not having seen them in a while? Impossible!?

I mean that's pretty much what I said might have happened

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the structure of asa's "i always trip at the critical moment" flashback was great. fujimoto just has such an ability to draw a story with so much more impact than a written summary would convey

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the structure of asa's "i always trip at the critical moment" flashback was great. fujimoto just has such an ability to draw a story with so much more impact than a written summary would convey

Yeah that was really good.

I honestly don't have a sense of what the trolley question logic in the CSM universe is. Life is incredibly cheap and I figure that street preacher's statistics were actually pretty rosey but on the other hand what's the point of killing a devil that just comes back anyway?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Eggplant Squire posted:

I honestly don't have a sense of what the trolley question logic in the CSM universe is. Life is incredibly cheap and I figure that street preacher's statistics were actually pretty rosey but on the other hand what's the point of killing a devil that just comes back anyway?

it's a temporary reprieve at the very least. Also I'd imagine watching Chainsaw Man kill a personification of humanity's fears on a constant basis would slowly lessen peoples' fears of said thing

or you could let the building size monster rampage and kill people indefinitely, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eggplant Squire posted:

The trolley question logic in CSM works as thus

A trolley demon shows up, Chainsaw Man eats it, no more trolley problem.