Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I have a mission set at the southern exit of the Suez Canal that's completely littered with derelict cargo ships. (And then there's enemy ships hiding amongst the wreckage, and an airstrip built on the back of one of the ships) I didn't think that the meme value of actually wedging a ship in the canal would hold up long-term, but that's my little nod to the event.

Coming from someone who works for a freight forwarder that had cargo on that ship and had to deal with all the BS around it - I appreciate that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nameless Pete posted:

That's how I imagine naval stealth. Stick some Groucho glasses on the Nimitz, nobody will recognize it.

During WWII a ship was disguised as a tropical island:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HNLMS_Abraham_Crijnssen_(1936)

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

moonmazed posted:

there's a target in one mission you can lure out by making it appear that the ghost of his mom is haunting his mansion, so 47 is the haunter i guess

I think Hitman Contracts (one of the older games) had a ghost in a hotel you could run into; I remember this primarily because apparently it’s possible to assassinate said ghost. 47 really IS the best in the world at his job.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Der-Wreck posted:

Weird thing to emptyquote but alright

WTF are you responding to?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

WTF are you responding to?

I guess this is just the thread where we post pictures of the sea now.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Toward the end of Grim Dawn you start encountering these Cultist mooks that summon demons from little portals on the ground. If you kill them before they finish summoning (which is really easy, they're cannon fodder) the portal snaps closed, sending half the demon to ragdoll around the floor. They could've just despawned the spell animation, but they decided to go for slapstick and I appreciate that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crowetron posted:

Toward the end of Grim Dawn you start encountering these Cultist mooks that summon demons from little portals on the ground. If you kill them before they finish summoning (which is really easy, they're cannon fodder) the portal snaps closed, sending half the demon to ragdoll around the floor. They could've just despawned the spell animation, but they decided to go for slapstick and I appreciate that.

I am horribly arachnophobic, so playing Grim Dawn this went from a thing dragging the game down to a little thing as the various huge spiders stopped being so scary when they flop everywhere like goofy wiggly waterbugs when you kill them.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Aug 16, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CJacobs posted:

I am horribly arachnophobic, so playing Grim Dawn this went from a thing dragging the game down to a little thing as the various huge spiders stopped being so scary when they flop everywhere like goofy wiggly waterbugs when you kill them.

Just curious, are there any circumstances in which your arachnophobia doesn't trigger because something about the spiders breaks your suspension of disbelief so your brain just sees it as "Not a spider" at that point?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
According to the documentary Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, you can make an enormous spider not scary at all by putting roller skates on it

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

CJacobs posted:

There's a few goofball animations in the game. I also really like how the writhing cosmic abominations from beyond the stars just faceplant like a sack of potatoes if you hit them with any stunning attacks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Just curious, are there any circumstances in which your arachnophobia doesn't trigger because something about the spiders breaks your suspension of disbelief so your brain just sees it as "Not a spider" at that point?

on a similar vein to this there's Arachnophobia Mode in Grounded that has a sliding scale to remove spideryness from spiders, so arachnophobes can play. it goes from "fewer legs" through "no legs", then "no fangs", "just orbs", "just monochrome orbs"

p cool accessibility addition, imo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Have you ever seen a spider without legs? That poo poo's creepier than a regular spider!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

on a similar vein to this there's Arachnophobia Mode in Grounded that has a sliding scale to remove spideryness from spiders, so arachnophobes can play. it goes from "fewer legs" through "no legs", then "no fangs", "just orbs", "just monochrome orbs"

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that replaces all spider models with flat jpegs of cat faces.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

I apparently have reverse arachnophobia or something, because having some limbless orbs with blobby eyes coming at me triggers a far greater fear response than a spider. Makes me feel like I'm taking on something Lovecraftian.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

perhaps if you edit the .ini to put a negative number in the arachnophobia config field...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nameless Pete posted:

That's how I imagine naval stealth. Stick some Groucho glasses on the Nimitz, nobody will recognize it.

A great example of naval stealth gone horribly wrong was the Battle of Trinidade, in 1914. The German SMS Cap Trafalgar, a converted ocean liner with guns bolted to it, was further disguised to look like the HMS Carmania, a British ocean liner with guns bolted to it. The only action Cap Trafalgar ever fought was when the real Carmania found it at a resupply base, and they beat the absolute bejesus out of eachother until the impostor sunk.

(Unfortunately for the poets, Carmania was not similarly disguised as Cap Trafalgar.)

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I always feel a little bad when the video game arachnophobia issue comes up because I think spiders are cool-looking and enjoy fighting big crazy monster spiders in games. The spider castle in Nioh 1 is one of my favorite levels in that game, for example. Partly because the spiders mostly attack by punching you.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Frank Frank posted:

Same playstyle as 7 with a slightly heavier emphasis on action/gunplay. Most of the horror elements have been removed except for that one part. If you haven’t had it ruined for you yet, it would be criminal for me to do so It’s “ok” but not great. The big giant lady is only in the game for the first 45 minutes

What disappointed me in RE8 is that while all the modern RE games use the same engine, only RE:2make has that awesome awesome gore mechanic. I guess it's because Japan found most everything else okay but the zombies have too many chunkables in RE:2make so they toned it all down. It's such an awesome gore mechanic too.

It seems weird that fictional creatures coming apart was just... too much. Out of all the stuff the RE franchise has done, wiped out whole towns with horrible viruses, had people burst open and mutate into monsters, numerous people getting their arms cut off and all sorts of other terrible deaths and injuries, zombies reacting too much to gunfire is the line that cannot be crossed again.

It sucks too, because even though RE8 had more gunfire they enemies just don't really react and show damage much at all, they even did more in RE7. I don't like when games push visual fidelity so high but neglect to show bullets doing anything to bad guys or the environment.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I apparently have reverse arachnophobia or something, because having some limbless orbs with blobby eyes coming at me triggers a far greater fear response than a spider. Makes me feel like I'm taking on something Lovecraftian.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

They should have just replaced spiders with the rolling ball enemy from Elden Ring

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tumble posted:

What disappointed me in RE8 is that while all the modern RE games use the same engine, only RE:2make has that awesome awesome gore mechanic. I guess it's because Japan found most everything else okay but the zombies have too many chunkables in RE:2make so they toned it all down. It's such an awesome gore mechanic too.

It seems weird that fictional creatures coming apart was just... too much. Out of all the stuff the RE franchise has done, wiped out whole towns with horrible viruses, had people burst open and mutate into monsters, numerous people getting their arms cut off and all sorts of other terrible deaths and injuries, zombies reacting too much to gunfire is the line that cannot be crossed again.

It sucks too, because even though RE8 had more gunfire they enemies just don't really react and show damage much at all, they even did more in RE7. I don't like when games push visual fidelity so high but neglect to show bullets doing anything to bad guys or the environment.

I very much enjoy Uncharted's commitment to having about 3 cups of blood every game but yeah it's very odd hearing that there's region differences and finding out that Ethan's hand and fingers don't come off in the Japanese versions.

I've kinda memory holed a lot of games, what games can you even cut people in half with guns though? Resident Evil's kinda had a Halo opinion on gun lethality as far as I've seen from the 2 and 3 remakes as well as 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that replaces all spider models with flat jpegs of cat faces.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ6bxL50-Gk
Better? Worse?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't even know what's in the game originally, but that's great :buddy:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
EDF (4.1, probably others) kind of has it both ways for me. The specialized "sniper" spider enemies that everyone hates because they're bullshit are unpleasant looking spindly types, but the regular swarming ones are cute jumping spiders.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BioEnchanted posted:

Deep Rock Galactic is the one game where I got used to the spiderbugs pretty much immediately. It's such an awesome game and I'm really glad for the minor exposure therapy. I think it's a combination of the tone and your dwarves' abrasiveness, the sense of camaraderie with friends, the fact that they're so angular and spectacularly stylized. Deep Rock manages to make spider-LIKE bugs with webs and spitting and jumping and all without taking too many cues from the real world and I think that's a great compromise. Even EDF's mecha spiders I could handle, though the real things in that same game are too much. ANYTHING but the Bloodborne method of "take a spider from real life and just put it from a game", I can eventually learn to tolerate.

It's a fun subject to talk about because everyone's got a different line on where their phobia prevents their ability to play!

Any of you folks have phobias that kill games for you? It's really great seeing this outbreak of arachnophobe modes but I've never seen, like, a snake-phobe mode.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Aug 17, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you wanna go in the exact opposite direction (TW for real) as a self-harm suicide survivor I genuinely can't get past the intro of Hardspace Shipbreaker because it is, I promise you, as close as they could get to the sound of bleeding out and dying. If you've ever wondered what it sounds like to bleed out alone in a hospital, that really is it. Obviously it's foley work but it's great foley work. For those that haven't played it: the premise is that you are joining this spacefaring corporation as a ship dismantler which requires disposing of your original body and the way this is played for shock value is unbelievably harsh, you listen to your guy die seconds after picking a voice. It's loving brutal and rad but it triggered me so hard I had a panic attack and cannot even open the game to skip past it, haha.

Was thinking of emailing the developers about it but it doesn't seem like they have a non-public channel to contact that I could find. It's all Discord and Steam forums stuff so not sure what to do because the game seems lovely.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:30 on Aug 17, 2022

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

2house2fly posted:

They should have just replaced spiders with the rolling ball enemy from Elden Ring

I love that there’s a type of enemy that can become literally anything from the PC to giant gatling lobsters and bears and a bunch of them just decided being a giant wrecking ball with mediocre poise was their best bet.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arachnophobia mode should add spiders if anything. Big Head mode doesn't decapitate everyone.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I loving hate mold and insects.

Then I decided to play Resident Evil 7.

I really should go back and try to finish it someday, but I would lie if I said that the above has frequently made me decide to just replay RE4 again...

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The indie game Webbed has you play as a female jumping spider trying to rescue her mate from a Bower bird.
You can do the jumping spider dance by holding one of the shoulder buttons and the other insects, ants, moths, etc will respond and dance back.

It also has an arachnophobia mode that turns all the spiders into blobs with googly eyes.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Has there been a Hitman level set in a haunted house?

Cause if not what have they even been doing

Yes, and not in a theme park sense but a literal sense!

In Hitman 2 (and 3) there's a Halloween escalation mission for the NZ beach house map. It's set inside a nightmare.

Not 47's nightmare, of course. Oh no, 47 takes the Freddy Krueger role.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
In Hitman 2 (the original? the old version? the one from the 2000s) there is a hotel that for some reason has a ghost in the mirror, if I remember right. I remember it scaring the gently caress out of me but I also remember not being able to figure out why the ghost was there, what his story was, what purpose it served, or if it was just like a weird Easter egg the developers put in?

Well after looking it up I guess it's just a thing that's there to be spooky. Apparently you can kill the ghost, too.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CJacobs posted:

If you wanna go in the exact opposite direction (TW for real) as a self-harm suicide survivor I genuinely can't get past the intro of Hardspace Shipbreaker because it is, I promise you, as close as they could get to the sound of bleeding out and dying. If you've ever wondered what it sounds like to bleed out alone in a hospital, that really is it. Obviously it's foley work but it's great foley work. For those that haven't played it: the premise is that you are joining this spacefaring corporation as a ship dismantler which requires disposing of your original body and the way this is played for shock value is unbelievably harsh, you listen to your guy die seconds after picking a voice. It's loving brutal and rad but it triggered me so hard I had a panic attack and cannot even open the game to skip past it, haha.

Was thinking of emailing the developers about it but it doesn't seem like they have a non-public channel to contact that I could find. It's all Discord and Steam forums stuff so not sure what to do because the game seems lovely.

It's a pretty intense thing to experience five seconds into your space dismantling game, yeah. I sent a message to them via their contact page (here!). There's a consistent theme in Shipbreaker about how capitalism breaks you down and treats every part of your existence as a commodity to exploit, but that's a real gut punch (and if I recall correctly, there's no content like that in the game after the opening). I can fully understand not wanting to continue.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

credburn posted:

In Hitman 2 (the original? the old version? the one from the 2000s) there is a hotel that for some reason has a ghost in the mirror, if I remember right. I remember it scaring the gently caress out of me but I also remember not being able to figure out why the ghost was there, what his story was, what purpose it served, or if it was just like a weird Easter egg the developers put in?

Well after looking it up I guess it's just a thing that's there to be spooky. Apparently you can kill the ghost, too.

Hitman Contracts like I mentioned (third game technically I think, but it included remakes of the first game’s missions as “memories”). Here’s killing the ghost, it even gets you an achievement apparently.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I loving hate mold and insects.

Then I decided to play Resident Evil 7.

I really should go back and try to finish it someday, but I would lie if I said that the above has frequently made me decide to just replay RE4 again...

Man, they did just an incredible job capturing a particular disgusting vibe to the Baker house, even if there weren't fungus monsters roaming around through parts of it. I find it gross and offputting, but in a way that I appreciate for atmosphere rather than being enough to make me quit.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Any of you folks have phobias that kill games for you? It's really great seeing this outbreak of arachnophobe modes but I've never seen, like, a snake-phobe mode.

i've never finished resident evil 7; all of the insects in the old house were way way too much for me and i had to quit

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012
The Surge is apparently pretty mediocre, but it sticks in my mind because there's a horrific cutscene of the player character getting his exoskeleton implanted without anaesthetic in the first 5 minutes. Hats off to Deck13 for managing to outdo both Dead Space 2 and Prometheus in scaring the poo poo out of me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CHIMlord posted:

The Surge is apparently pretty mediocre, but it sticks in my mind because there's a horrific cutscene of the player character getting his exoskeleton implanted without anaesthetic in the first 5 minutes. Hats off to Deck13 for managing to outdo both Dead Space 2 and Prometheus in scaring the poo poo out of me.

That look of terror when the message about delivering anesthetic plays and he realizes that he hasn't received any is pretty harrowing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morpheus posted:

That look of terror when the message about delivering anesthetic plays and he realizes that he hasn't received any is pretty harrowing.

I really like at the start how it does the whole train ride, and only pulls the reveal of the wheelchair when you're handed control of the protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really like at the start how it does the whole train ride, and only pulls the reveal of the wheelchair when you're handed control of the protagonist.

Oh I really liked that, yeah. Excellently done, didn't see it coming at all.