Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

AceOfFlames posted:

For me nothing can beat those two ladies from the Reagan's astrologer eps who just kept yasqueening her and undermining Robert almost every step of the way. I can definitely understand cheering for someone screwing over Reagan but they seemed adamant in ignoring the other people she ended up hurting in the process.

Yeah I found them really frustrating. You can applaud someone loving over the Reagans but they're were just far too positive about a woman that ended up hurting a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

He hasn’t been on in a while but Billy Wayne Davis is a good guest.

Fake edit: If you still read this thread Robert, bring him back on.

Real edit: Check out the Tiger King episode. https://overcast.fm/+4cUN-CCU8 or April 13th 2000 if you use a bad podcast player.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 16, 2022

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

I like Matt Lieb because he makes me laugh when he talks about loving a big mouth billy bass.

If you want more Matt Lieb I highly recommend the Frotcast. Also I’m very excited for his upcoming The Wire rewatch podcast.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Phetz posted:

If you want more Matt Lieb I highly recommend the Frotcast. Also I’m very excited for his upcoming The Wire rewatch podcast.

Seconding; after he guested on the Harlon Carter episodes I decided to check out Pod Yourself A Gun since I've been watching The Sopranos for the first time with my wife (other than a few half-remembered scenes caught over parents and roommates' shoulders) Matt Lieb and Vincent Mancini are the perfect blend of insightfulness + being a dumb idiot for me, and they generally have very funny and thoughtful guests on.

I haven't dipped into the Frotcast yet but I'm thinking once I finally catch up on PYAG I might just become a regular frotcast listener so I can keep my Lieb and Mancini intake up

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

He hasn’t been on in a while but Billy Wayne Davis is a good guest.

Fake edit: If you still read this thread Robert, bring him back on.

Real edit: Check out the Tiger King episode. https://overcast.fm/+4cUN-CCU8 or April 13th 2000 if you use a bad podcast player.

As far as i know, Billy wayne davis got understandably tired of either not being paid or being paid smaller amounts than he wanted to be a regular guest on the show

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ain't you heard? Guests are paying to be on top podcasts.

More seriously that seems kinda petty. There's supposed to be a symbiotic relationship between the guest and host where they share audiences for a net benefit to both.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I only ever saw anything about it from billy wayne, and i only half remember it, but i got the vibe that btb and cool zone media just kind of expected billy wayne to be available for them on the reg and weren’t paying him?

I could be wrong, naturally. They might pay and billy wanted more money, or he wanted his own podcast, who knows?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Phetz posted:

I love the frotcast but the magic died when Ben the ear rapist died of cancer.
E: also when Brendan and Brett left to have kids. Also Vince hasn't been the same since he has been married and happy.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The impression I got from Billy Wayne was that he was being asked to guest on a lot of podcasts where he was contributing a significant amount to the entertainment value without compensation, something that became more of an issue when he could no longer do stand-up shows and there was therefore nothing for him to promote. He seems to still get along with Robert, it sounds like iHeart has started paying guests something instead of nothing, and he's doing a tour now, so it would be nice to see him come back. I've seen suggestions that iHeart doesn't want him back because of his principled stance against unpaid appearances, but that feels conspiratorial compared to being busy with his own thing and not considering guesting worth his time.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I heard the CIA wouldn't allow Robert to lend Billy Wayne his knife, so it ended in a bitter breakup.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

I heard the CIA wouldn't allow Robert to lend Billy Wayne his knife, so it ended in a bitter breakup.

This is actually what is going on, iheart was demanding that robert not give out machetes and billy wayne demanded a machete

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

iHeart got sick of all the food-throwing and separated them the way teachers won't let certain children sit next to each other.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Post your insane BTB fanfic ITT

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

B33rChiller posted:

Robert is an active investor in ………..‘s child-hunting island

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Everett False posted:

iHeartSophie got sick of all the food-throwing and separated them the way teachers won't let certain children sit next to each other.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

Robert is an active investor in ………..‘s child-hunting island

Well, the kids need a safe place to learn safe firearms handling, and how to field dress a deer. Public service really.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

B33rChiller posted:

Isn't that what got the last thread locked?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

teen witch posted:

Everett False posted:

iHeartSophie got sick of all the food-throwing and separated them the way teachers won't let certain children sit next to each other.

This just makes me miss WYE, where Katie would try to keep the goons on-topic before finally giving in and joining the riffs on spider-web cum or whatever.

Those geeks...:allears: I can see why you'd want to keep Robert and Cody apart if you wanted to ever get anything done, though.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Thinking of those eary WYE ever episodes, I believe that is when Sofie learned that she can just yell at people and its great. She was this occassional squeek in the back ground, but months of riding roughshode on Robert (who, at the time, I think was still doing harder drugs) made her a very present and assertive presence in the show to the point BtB is no good without spicy Sofie telling Robert to loving act right. I don’t know how much of that is them being their performative selves, but it a delightful dynamic.

I don’t know if any of you listen to the Ron Burgandy podcast, but his producer Carolina has an intentional character arc where she starts out as this mousy push over and by the middle of the second season she’s telling Ron to shut the gently caress up and is now nearly as crazed as he is. I am simple man and I love poo poo like that.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Aug 17, 2022

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Thinking of those eary WYE ever episodes, I believe that is when Sofie learned that she can just yell at people and its great. She was this occassional squeek in the back ground, but months of riding roughshode on Robert (who, at the time, I think was still doing harder drugs) made her a very present and assertive presence in the show to the point BtB is no good without spicy Sofie telling Robert to loving act right. I don’t know how much of that is them being their performative selves, but it a delightful dynamic.

The power of machetecine.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Isn't that what got the last thread locked?
Yeah, but it wasn't presented as insane fanfic. It was more along the lines of shouting Truths™.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Todays episode sounds pretty interesting, I'm always interested in how Rome went to poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The episode title is so stupid I'm skipping it to avoid doing psychic damage. Robert's asides about Rome that I remember are very much in the "I read a very outdated pop history once" realm.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Grand Fromage posted:

The episode title is so stupid I'm skipping it to avoid doing psychic damage. Robert's asides about Rome that I remember are very much in the "I read a very outdated pop history once" realm.

I wonder what he's talking about it can't be that-OH GOD IS TOO SPICY

Only registered members can see post attachments!

twerking on the railroad fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 18, 2022

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
From listening, it sounds like he's using Mike Duncan's The storm before the storm, as his source.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zeniel posted:

From listening, it sounds like he's using Mike Duncan's The storm before the storm, as his source.

Wild. I wonder if the titles are created by some clickbait person at the company.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

Wild. I wonder if the titles are created by some clickbait person at the company.

If the Roman republic is your TurboNerd expertise, then what books do you recommend? I would also like to become a Roman Republic TurboNerd.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean Robert did used to work for Cracked I figured he's just in the habit of giving his works incredibly hyperbolic titles

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

If the Roman republic is your TurboNerd expertise, then what books do you recommend? I would also like to become a Roman Republic TurboNerd.

I'll spare you the essay on why I don't think the "Roman Republic" framing is correct and just accept the popular conception here. Nothing comprehensive, just approachable stuff I remember reading:

The Storm Before the Storm, Mike Duncan, about the period immediately before the first civil wars.
SPQR, Mary Beard. This is a wide overview book but Mary Beard is great.
Livy is pretty readable as primary sources go.
The Punic Wars, Adrian Goldsworthy.
Daily Life in Ancient Rome, Jerome Carcopino.

Not sure what's recent and good, I've mostly been reading about late antiquity and the medieval empire for a while.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll spare you the essay on why I don't think the "Roman Republic" framing is correct and just accept the popular conception here. Nothing comprehensive, just approachable stuff I remember reading:

The Storm Before the Storm, Mike Duncan, about the period immediately before the first civil wars.
SPQR, Mary Beard. This is a wide overview book but Mary Beard is great.
Livy is pretty readable as primary sources go.
The Punic Wars, Adrian Goldsworthy.
Daily Life in Ancient Rome, Jerome Carcopino.

Not sure what's recent and good, I've mostly been reading about late antiquity and the medieval empire for a while.

Cool. I think Beard was one of Robert’s sources. I’ll start with SPQR.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I liked the episode as a non expert at least, nice and breezy, didn't try to go too far in depth, basically the story of the things-you-need-to-know and the guy with a nice aroma of "yeah people are people no matter when but the romans were really hashtag relatable"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I gotta at least know what he was claiming was the police state part. Sulla's proscriptions?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grand Fromage posted:

I gotta at least know what he was claiming was the police state part. Sulla's proscriptions?

I was only half listening but I think it was the Urban Cohorts and the Vigiles under Augustus. The former because they removed the ability of the people to riot to resist unpopular laws and actions, and the Vigiles because they were eventually granted the ability to enter any home and report crimes they saw?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Woof.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
No, Robert said he considers the corruption of the Praetorian Guard as the beginning of the Roman police state.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marsupial Ape posted:

No, Robert said he considers the corruption of the Praetorian Guard as the beginning of the Roman police state.

Hah, I didn't realize I hadn't actually finished the episode. This is actually where the episode ends up in the last 20 minutes or so, yeah.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

this podcast has covered a lot of disgusting and heinous acts but nothing compares to the evil that the BTB Reddit just did to Sophie

https://twitter.com/robertmccleery6/status/1561830429711269891?s=21&t=1UmqqJJ4a6SBojnmj_Kq8Q

insinuating that various corporations engage in human trafficking is all in good fun but insinuating that someone likes the Boston Celtics is beyond the pale

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Robert, please tell Sophie I'm sorry. I don't know her, and she has no clue who I am, but I am sincerely saddened by this development.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I love when people say words they've only ever read and not heard, probably because it's a bit they play up on the dollop

Ar-schapllego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe Robert should do an episode on the writer of this email:

https://twitter.com/jamieloftusHELP/status/1562100298960629761?s=20&t=_oOLt5QeAHubI4FmnJsrCw

Seriously, gently caress that guy.