Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah. Super rich people barely even use their passports because the screenings that TSA and their counterparts in other countries apply to private jet fliers are basically non-existent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

mdemone posted:

The easiest example here is Israel because they have outstanding SIGINT and would possibly find out if Trump passed info to the Saudis, either by direct or indirect means.

They'd drop a dime so fast it would break the sound barrier.

Yeah, the Trump/Saudi relationship gives them a lot of incentive to be proactive. That said, I don't know much about the big split in Israeli government and how that translates to Trump friendliness.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rand Paul has a stopped clock moment

https://mobile.twitter.com/RandPaul/status/1558579480171614209

Now that Trump may have violated the Espionage Act, Rand "drone strike liquor store thieves" Paul suddenly remembered he wants small government

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Now that Trump may have violated the Espionage Act, Rand "drone strike liquor store thieves" Paul suddenly remembered he wants small government

I am sure this is a legitimate turnaround on his previous belief that in no way is effected by the fascists him and his dad enabled.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
The espionage act clearly applies here and this is exactly the sort of incident it was intended to be used for.

Anyway, this is just empty posturing as he’s well aware that there is no way in hell it (the laws coded into US regulations based on it) gets repealed in the next few years. Even if you were to repeal the main provisions they would be replaced with something equally damaging to Trump because he is so evidently in the wrong.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

The espionage act clearly applies here and this is exactly the sort of incident it was intended to be used for.

Anyway, this is just empty posturing as he’s well aware that there is no way in hell it (the laws coded into US regulations based on it) gets repealed in the next few years. Even if you were to repeal the main provisions they would be replaced with something equally damaging to Trump because he is so evidently in the wrong.

I'm not sure you could get a co-sponsor at this moment. Just more chaff to distract the flak cannons.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am sure this is a legitimate turnaround on his previous belief that in no way is effected by the fascists him and his dad enabled.

The part he is talking about was a seperate bill that attached itself to the espionage act. And then was repealed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mdemone posted:

The easiest example here is Israel because they have outstanding SIGINT and would possibly find out if Trump passed info to the Saudis, either by direct or indirect means.
I think the easiest example is the UK, because programmes like DISHFIRE (the collection end) and PREFER (the database/query end) are in the public record and appear to exist expressly for the purpose of making it possible for GCHQ to query data on British citizens without having to bother with RIPA.

The only real conjecture you need to make, as far as I know, is that there's some sort of reciprocal programme. And since the alternative is that the NSA is providing this all to GCHQ out of the presumed goodness of its institutional heart and lol to that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Repealing the act now wouldn't make Trump's conduct retroactively legal then anyway. Not unless it was repealed retroactively. Which would mean exonerating assange, manning, winner, etc.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hypothetically, at this point in the investigation, if Donald Trump announces publicly that he remains president and that Biden is a usurper with no legal authority...

How would such statements play in court, and would such statements put him at greater legal risk?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Uglycat posted:

Hypothetically, at this point in the investigation, if Donald Trump announces publicly that he remains president and that Biden is a usurper with no legal authority...

How would such statements play in court, and would such statements put him at greater legal risk?

I would assume that this would be part of some kind of profound stupidity/insanity defense. I don't think it would work. You would basically be admitting guilt while hoping to get off light.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Depends on what he's in court for, what he's being charged with, and so on.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Uglycat posted:

If they do that, that means they don’t care how it plays out in court. That’s the attempting to start a violent revolution option.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mental defect defense isn't what you guys saw on TV. It don't work like that.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Uglycat posted:

You're throwing a lot of wild "if" statements at the wall and forgetting a lot of the context up to this point.

Trump knows he's not the president, the inauguration happened and Biden was sworn in. His argument is that the election was stolen from him through fraud.

He believes the presidency belongs to him, not that he's the current president.

And while trump lives in some fantasy land of his own imagination, the court system is far more based in evidence and legal theory. Trump was already laughed out of court on fraud claims 60+ times, by judges he appointed. There's no magic button that lets judges declare whatever they feel like.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You're throwing a lot of wild "if" statements at the wall and forgetting a lot of the context up to this point.

Trump knows he's not the president, the inauguration happened and Biden was sworn in. His argument is that the election was stolen from him through fraud.

He believes the presidency belongs to him, not that he's the current president.

And while trump lives in some fantasy land of his own imagination, the court system is far more based in evidence and legal theory. Trump was already laughed out of court on fraud claims 60+ times, by judges he appointed. There's no magic button that lets judges declare whatever they feel like.

I'm not asking how the courts would handle a legal argument that he remains president;
I'm asking what prosecutors might do with an active campaign outside of court where he openly claims to still be president, coupled with a social media campaign designed to reinforce and exploit the belief among the qanon-j6-chud-maga camp that donny is still commander in chief.

Y'know, the extra-legal campaign of stochastic terrorism. If he pursues that course (and everything indicates it, and the passport discrepancy confirms) - it's to be treason, yeah? Whereas if he backs off and pleads the 5th from here, it's 'just' espionage.

Promoting the myth that he retains the power of the office - could be an 'overt act' at this point.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 16, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Uglycat posted:

I'm not asking how the courts would handle a legal argument that he remains president;
I'm asking what prosecutors might do with an active campaign outside of court where he openly claims to still be president, coupled with a social media campaign designed to reinforce and exploit the belief among the qanon-j6-chud-maga camp that donny is still commander in chief.

Nothing? Unless he's inciting violence, just being a crackpot is not illegal.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Nothing? Unless he's inciting violence, just being a crackpot is not illegal.

Eh, there’s armed people assaulting FBI offices. At some point it crosses over from crackpot to sedition.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Murgos posted:

Eh, there’s armed people assaulting FBI offices.

Yeah, but unless you have proof that Trump is telling them to do it, there's nothing to prosecute (at least with regards to Trump). Obviously, whoever actually is organizing and inciting them is liable.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ah I see you have not yet been introduced to our Uglycat.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

VitalSigns posted:

Lol the Supreme Court are going to do it aren’t they?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Uglycat posted:

Y'know, the extra-legal campaign of stochastic terrorism. If he pursues that course (and everything indicates it, and the passport discrepancy confirms) - it's to be treason, yeah? Whereas if he backs off and pleads the 5th from here, it's 'just' espionage.

Promoting the myth that he retains the power of the office - could be an 'overt act' at this point.

No. As we've discussed with you before, the Constitutional definition of "treason" has purposely been drawn to be unreasonably tight and restrictive, and courts have consistently followed the clearly expressed will of the writers by interpreting the Treason Clause extremely strictly.

If you're asking if something could be treason, the answer is almost definitely no. When it comes to treason, there is no "could", there is no "maybe", there is no "well if you look at it this way". It was deliberately designed to make it as difficult as possible to stretch or expand it, which is most of the reason it was written into the Constitution to begin with.

I know you desperately want to see Trump convicted of treason and executed, but give up on that dream.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Main Paineframe posted:

No. As we've discussed with you before, the Constitutional definition of "treason" has purposely been drawn to be unreasonably tight and restrictive, and courts have consistently followed the clearly expressed will of the writers by interpreting the Treason Clause extremely strictly.

If you're asking if something could be treason, the answer is almost definitely no. When it comes to treason, there is no "could", there is no "maybe", there is no "well if you look at it this way". It was deliberately designed to make it as difficult as possible to stretch or expand it, which is most of the reason it was written into the Constitution to begin with.

I know you desperately want to see Trump convicted of treason and executed, but give up on that dream.

At best, we'll have to settle for heart disease in a federal prison someplace. Even that may be too optimistic, but I still have hope!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bear in mind that Teump is such a privileged Narcissus that even the most mildest of inconvenience is a personal afront to him.

Even if Trump went to the cushiest, white collar prison, it would be the equivalent of a dangerous, run down state prison to him.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

mdemone posted:

Ah I see you have not yet been introduced to our Uglycat.

It’s an action he could take if one thinks he is a foreign intelligence asset of a state we are at “economic war” with.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Murgos posted:

Eh, there’s armed people assaulting FBI offices. At some point it crosses over from crackpot to sedition.

Not to mention Trump’s “Nice country you have here Merrick, would be a real shame if something happend to it.”

https://twitter.com/RobertMaguire_/status/1558631176184778752

Sadly no consequences.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
That article Rand Paul tweeted sure is something

Jacob G. Hornberger posted:

Let’s keep in mind that the law is the fruit of a rotten foreign intervention. Hardly anyone defends the U.S. intervention into World War I. That war was, quite simply, none of the U.S. government’s business. President Wilson, however, was hell-bent on embroiling the U.S. in the conflict. Wilson believed that if the force of the U.S. government could be used to totally defeat Germany, this would be the war to finally end all wars and to make the world safe for democracy.

Wilson’s mindset, of course, was lunacy. Sure enough, the U.S. intervention resulted in Germany’s total defeat, which was then followed by the vengeful Treaty of Versailles, which Adolf Hitler would use to justify his rise to power. Nazism and World War II soon followed. So much for the war to end all wars and to make the world safe for democracy. Tens of thousands of American men were sacrificed for nothing.

Moreover, Wilson had to force American men to fight in World War I. He conscripted them. Enslaved would be a better word. When a government has to force its citizens to fight a particular war, that’s a good sign that it’s a bad war, one that shouldn’t be waged.

[...]

Longtime supporters of FFF know that one of my favorite stories in history is the one about the White Rose, a group of college students in Germany who, in the midst of World War II, began distributing pamphlets calling on Germans to resist their own government and to oppose the troops. (See my essay “The White Rose: A Lesson in Dissent.” Also, see the great movie Sophie Scholl: The Final Days.) When they were caught and brought to trial, the members of the White Rose were berated by the presiding judge, who accused them of being bad German citizens and traitors, just as Wilson, the Justice Department, and the U.S. Supreme Court had said of Americans who were violating the Espionage Act.

Today, any U.S. official would praise the actions of the White Rose, but that’s just because it was foreign citizens opposing an official enemy of the U.S. government. The fact is that if the White Rose members had done the same thing they did in Germany here in the United States, U.S. officials would have gone after them with the same anger and vengeance as German officials did. And they would have used the Espionage Act to do it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Lol, loving Rand Paul.

1. Wilson didn't enact conscription because people refused to volunteer; he did so because he wanted to avoid what had happened to the British Pals and, in an earlier war, the horde of volunteers north and south during the civil war. In both instances, uncontrolled local enlistment led to all the young men from localities ending up in the same regiments, and thus after a particularly nasty battle (say, Passchendaele or Antietam, respectively) entire towns would find themselves having lost a generation of their youth. Conscription allowed for federal control over recruiting, which avoided this problem and streamlined the entire process (at least in principle).

2. If reincarnated today, the White Rose would stand against everything the GOP champions, and Paul would be among the loudest voices calling for them to be labelled domestic terrorists.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

VitalSigns posted:

James Garfield posted:

That article Rand Paul tweeted sure is something

What's even stupider is that he's not even talking about the original 1917 Espionage Act. He's referring to the Sedition Act of 1918, which was an amendment to the Espionage Act. It was a serious curtailment of the 1st amendment in order to arrest those who dissented against our involvement in WWI. It was also repealed in 1920. So Rand Paul is railing against the law being used against Trump because, over 100 years ago, it had a bullshit amendment tacked on to it for two years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Uglycat posted:

The actual answer to this is that if he keeps this up after he's been charged with something he could face additional charges of obstruction of justice and / or contempt of court depending on who he pissed off more, the prosecutor or the judge, and whether or not the prosecutor or judge wanted to bother.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The actual answer to this is that if he keeps this up after he's been charged with something he could face additional charges of obstruction of justice and / or contempt of court depending on who he pissed off more, the prosecutor or the judge, and whether or not the prosecutor or judge wanted to bother.

Well, that and at sentencing they would weight higher due to his exacerbating the situation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Murgos posted:

No, wrong, because it has nothing to do with Hunter Biden's laptop and Hillary's emails. I believe you'll find when the law starts sniffing around and hits on a Republlcan, it's all a Soros Deep State conspiracy and the laws are wrong.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Liz Cheney lost her primary. Have any people looked into how that might affect the hearings and ongoing investigations?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It won’t affect anything until January when she leaves Congress.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's been obvious she was going to lose for months. They've already made and executed whatever plans they had for that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Eric Cantonese posted:

Liz Cheney lost her primary. Have any people looked into how that might affect the hearings and ongoing investigations?

Bird in a Blender posted:

It won’t affect anything until January when she leaves Congress.

The Democrats are losing control of the House in November anyway, so the committee already has a rapidly approaching sell-by date to get literally anything of value done and it's 12PM Eastern Time on January 3rd, 2023.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Cheney losing her primary changes the framing of her position on the committee from lone republican speaks out to possibly save the nation/party from trump to lame duck disgraced rhino spilling sour grapes about how she couldn't stop the Trump train. As a spokesperson for the investigation she just isn't going to be as effective as she was before because ultimately the moderates will always bend to those with power and now her power has an expiration date.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

E. Revenant posted:

Cheney losing her primary changes the framing of her position on the committee from lone republican speaks out to possibly save the nation/party from trump to lame duck disgraced rhino spilling sour grapes about how she couldn't stop the Trump train. As a spokesperson for the investigation she just isn't going to be as effective as she was before because ultimately the moderates will always bend to those with power and now her power has an expiration date.

Uh, this is a rather dismal view that is going to be massively over-shadowed by anything revealed, just like every other hearing from this committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

nine-gear crow posted:

The Democrats are losing control of the House in November anyway, so the committee already has a rapidly approaching sell-by date to get literally anything of value done and it's 12PM Eastern Time on January 3rd, 2023.

That's by design, so that when absolutely no one faces any consequences other than being sent to prison to network with other white supremacists for a year or two (and this only for foot soldiers) they can blame the voters for not voting blue hard enough