Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus
the important part is that emil doesn't want a bride. he wants to be the bride. that's what he says. you don't really need to have him be romantically interested in father nier, just cut that out and have him still be who he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ShimaTetsuo posted:

the important part is that emil doesn't want a bride. he wants to be the bride. that's what he says. you don't really need to have him be romantically interested in father nier, just cut that out and have him still be who he is.

This could have been done, but I don't know if I'd call it a hate crime that it wasn't in the year 2010. It was only 12 years ago but it feels like a ton of dialogue has popped up about erasure in that amount of time.

Had we gotten bro nier from the jump I'd be side eyeing the changes a lot more, I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Augus posted:

oh yeah also Nier Automata has a unique aesthetic that stands out at a glance while the original Nier had box art that looked like this

I think that's a factor, but the slow burn sales of Automata (seriously, that game has legs) suggest it's the games themselves that shaped things most.

Nier is a janky but interesting piece.

Nier Automata is actually good.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

chiasaur11 posted:

(seriously, that game has legs)

:heysexy:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Augus posted:

oh yeah also Nier Automata has a unique aesthetic that stands out at a glance while the original Nier had box art that looked like this

In retrospect it honestly seems like some bizarre luck I played that version when it came out. I probably would have never thought to play a game with that cover if it hadn't been for a combination of this forum vouching for this game really hard at the time and having a fairly healthy disposable income for a twenty-something.

Redezga fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 17, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It was the dark id LP that drew my attention to it, I don’t think that game would have registered on my radar otherwise.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Didn't some review slam the game over the part where you have to fish, completely telling on themselves in being entirely unable to follow directions or something?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sign me up as another person who never would have thought twice about Nier or maybe even heard of it at all if not for this place and TDI.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
My step dad bought it because he thought the cover looked cool and gave it to me, I wasn’t too excited because I remember reading some bad reviews but it sold me with the opening and then again when Weiss showed up and it’s Liam O’Brien just hamming it up. The marketing kinda worked!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Shinjobi posted:

Yes, because what the game needed was old man Nier being romantically desired by a young boy. That would have been a great look instead, yeah?

I mean if it was just because of that they could have kept that he was gay and just removed the implication that he was attracted to Nier specifically. It’s weird for them to specifically add a line where he’s like “I hope I can get married TO A WOMAN, I WANT A HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE TO A FEMALE WOMAN”
I don’t think it’s a big stretch that the marketing team who decided the game needed a buff manly man in order to sell copies might’ve also said “no gay stuff” in the year 2010.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Didn't some review slam the game over the part where you have to fish, completely telling on themselves in being entirely unable to follow directions or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqQ5QQGCAM

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Yes, that's the one. My brother in Christ, the red X is right there on the map.

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013
the remake now explicitly tells you to go to the other beach and doesn't let you fish there, it's definitely the worst change

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it’s really funny that in the remaster the game yells at you if you try to fish there for that quest

e:f,b

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Augus posted:

I mean if it was just because of that they could have kept that he was gay and just removed the implication that he was attracted to Nier specifically. It’s weird for them to specifically add a line where he’s like “I hope I can get married TO A WOMAN, I WANT A HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE TO A FEMALE WOMAN”
I don’t think it’s a big stretch that the marketing team who decided the game needed a buff manly man in order to sell copies might’ve also said “no gay stuff” in the year 2010.

I'm just uncomfortable attributing to ill intent what could have just easily been attributed to "huh, we've encountered a problem we were not expecting with these changes." Maybe you just fix it with him insisting on being a bride himself one day and leave it at that. You're still going to get poo poo on by fans for missing the point of the original scene, though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember being really bad at fishing too but I feel like after I failed a bunch or something it just faded to black and skipped ahead to when I caught the fish off camera or something?

That's the only fishing I remember having to do in Nier.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ShimaTetsuo posted:

Idk, in that particular instance I’m willing to give the localizers the benefit of the doubt and figure the original Japanese used more ambiguous wording and just mentions him wanting to be married, at least without someone just comparing the original JP script for Gestalt to what we got.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

There is no original JP script for Gestalt. Gestalt was released in Japan but it had English voices only.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AngryRobotsInc posted:

its still very funny to me that this is the same dude who got stupidly popular for that one dnd podcast

petcarcharodon posted:

the remake now explicitly tells you to go to the other beach and doesn't let you fish there, it's definitely the worst change
seafront has several changes in the remake, not including the whole entire new storyline there

for example:
-the fishing sidequest no longer makes nier get suckered into working on a fishing boat for a month
-when you catch a shark for fried rice ingredients, instead of the whole thing being a massive waste of time (because no one can taste the difference), it makes the chef happy instead.

seafront is supposed to be the town where every sidequest is a pratfall comedy routine!! cavia would never.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I absolutely believe that this was a deliberate troll by Yoko Taro.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Legit the LP that finally got me to register :patriot: Bless you, Id, where ever you are!

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 18, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Just beat it (ending E) over the weekend. Such an amazing game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/1565253522844688385?t=AXYdd69cqJOyfNvkz1U1HA&s=19

Welp, more of this I guess.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime adaption drops this January it seems:

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1573560094733717504

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

The anime adaption drops this January it seems:

https://twitter.com/AniTrendz/status/1573560094733717504

Said this in the ADTRW thread, but I’m calling it now.
Time Loop.

We get Ending E but with a bunch of hints that 2B/9S/A2 and/or the Pods remember the events of the game and a bunch of wacky poo poo/changes happen that allow Adam/Eve to survive or something.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 24, 2022

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I'd hope not. That poo poo has become the most obnoxious crutch for writing and fan theories. It's the new "coma dream," except this is getting used with increasing(ly ineffective) frequency.
That said, it'll be interesting/potentially bad to see how the change the very game-y parts to be anime-y.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Honestly, it all comes down to how involved Yoko Taro is on the screenplay. If he's in charge of the ending, I imagine he'll think of something interesting to do.

Otherwise, it's time loop city.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Can't wait for the English dub to not have the actors from the game because whoever gets the rights is just going to use their usual group of local actors rather than making the effort to get the game actors.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

Can't wait for the English dub to not have the actors from the game because whoever gets the rights is just going to use their usual group of local actors rather than making the effort to get the game actors.

That’s basically what happened with the TWEWY anime after all (with the exception of one game actor who did return)

Speaking of, do we know yet if this is going to be a direct adaptation of the game or more of a side story?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Veotax posted:

The game's voice actors aren't hard to get, they already work on anime. What's actually going to keep it from happening is Crunchyroll or whoever refusing to work with unions. (Kyle McCarley voiced 9S)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

That’s basically what happened with the TWEWY anime after all (with the exception of one game actor who did return)

Speaking of, do we know yet if this is going to be a direct adaptation of the game or more of a side story?

During the end credits you have to factory reset your smartphone so that someone else can finish watching the anime

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished Replicant for the first time (still working on ending E). I don’t think I’ve ever played an earlier game in a series that has made me appreciate its successor so much while still enjoying the hell out of the original.

Not sure if that sentence even made sense. But whatever. I agree that the core characters in Replicant are better actualized in game vs 2B/9S/A2, but the entire story just seemed a bit thin. It really made me appreciate the depth Automata got from its background characters.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://twitter.com/sino_english/status/1584926040857927681?t=qbw1h0waG81-EIfvV90RZg&s=19

In Yoko Taro news, not even Gacha games are safe.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

That's specifically for the KR version as they're ending service there, iirc.

Bit more in-depth than the usual ending notice.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Legitimately has me tempted to reinstall that game.
But the gameplay part is so boring, and the gameplay/story ratio is, like, exactly wrong for multitasking.

But it's so cool and now a version of it is getting a proper Yoko Taro ending. . .

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

we're shuttering our shitheap mobile game because it's predatory monetization structure isn't generating profits fast enough anymore. isn't that just like yoko taro! =D

GeorgieMordor
Jan 23, 2015
Is anyone playing this on Switch? Do android corpses work differently in this one? I don’t think I’ve found a single one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

_jink posted:

we're shuttering our shitheap mobile game because it's predatory monetization structure isn't generating profits fast enough anymore. isn't that just like yoko taro! =D

It's the method of shuttering, not the fact of it. Having the ending of the game be An Ending, complete with deleting your save, as opposed to just having the system still be open for selling more premium currency until the servers shut down is a much more Yoko Taro way of structuring things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime begins January 7th:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=G6PLzB3Ouuw

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Got the NieR Art book for Christmas this year. First time owning a videogame art book so don't have any points of comparison but it seems nice! I thought the pages that focused on Plato were particularly striking.