Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gently caress all these brides, (and grooms), uninviting people from their weddings because they think they will "steal the focus".

Also, don't they realize that uninviting a friend, (a charming, popular, well liked friend at that), because he only has one arm is going to steal more focus and limelight than if he had just shown up, what with his freakish deformity that he should forever be ashamed of and hide from the world.

All the guests are going to be asking "Where's Ezra?", "Why isn't Ezra here?" etc. and you will eventually have to answer the question "Why didn't you invite him?". None of which will reflect well on you, and all of which will over shadow 'your big day'.

Not just on the day too, coz unless Ezra is completely shunned due to his unworthiness of being in polite society coz of his accident, people will talk to him afterwards and ask him why he wasn't there at his friends wedding. And that really looks bad on you.

This is not just on this specific story, but on all the ones in this thread where people get disinvited to weddings coz due to no fault of their own, they will overshadow the happy couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

even if they were somehow going to face no repercussions, it's a dogshit move

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for trying to maximise my meal allowance on my business trip?

Goddamn, at least $120 on food every day?

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for the company cause they set the high limit, but still.

Yeah. No sympathy for the company, but I have the feeling that they put that limit where it was to accommodate for people taking colleagues and clients out for business lunches or dinners. Not so that the new kid can order from multiple restaurants every night of the trip.

Marks Lemonism
Aug 16, 2022

by Hand Knit
I mean the kid hasn't had a real job before, he got a warning not to gently caress up a good thing for everyone else. Respect the limit and don't bring any eyes on the huge per Diem you get to have and you'll get to keep it.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
At my wedding, my personal goal was to be pleasant to as many people that were kind enough to come as I could, and be thankful when they found things besides us to focus on and dote over.

People that crave attention like some of these assholes are universally awful people.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Desert Bus posted:

Who the gently caress cuts up a banana to eat it unless they're doing so as to make it an ingredient in a recipe?

Victorian women. It was considered unseemly for them to eat something so phallic.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think there's two ways that you can look at someone coming to your wedding in the midst of big life changes. You can think "They made time to come to my wedding, that means a lot to me" and be happy. But if you're just a walking mass of insecurity, it probably makes you freak out about not getting enough attention.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Defiance Industries posted:

I think there's two ways that you can look at someone coming to your wedding in the midst of big life changes. You can think "They made time to come to my wedding, that means a lot to me" and be happy. But if you're just a walking mass of insecurity, it probably makes you freak out about not getting enough attention.

Yeah, but in the stories in this thread, it's not usually big life changes.

It's more often "they might wear the wrong shoes", "They have different coloured hair", "they have a more interesting job", "they are too ethnic/queer/different." etc.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Defiance Industries posted:

Being a mass of insecurity doesn't really make it ok to be a selfish prick or prickess.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Marks Lemonism posted:

I mean the kid hasn't had a real job before, he got a warning not to gently caress up a good thing for everyone else. Respect the limit and don't bring any eyes on the huge per Diem you get to have and you'll get to keep it.

Well looks like he doesn't have the job anymore anyway:

quote:

Edit: Just got off a meeting and I was let go.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Well looks like he doesn't have the job anymore anyway:

I feel bad he had to learn this lesson this way, but also lol that boss is gonna get a lot of praise from the others

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

his boss shoulda trained him properly

AITA for refusing to go to a friend's 21st birthday due to allergies?

quote:

Obligatory sorry for formatting, I'm on mobile.

I (21f) was invited to my friend Stacy's (fake name) birthday celebration a few days ago. She has been very excited, as she is the last in our friend group to turn 21, and has been keeping her party planning mostly secret so she can suprise us all. Turns out she organised for a few of our friends, as well as some other friends from her college cheer team, to have a picnic at our city's botanical gardens (I'm unsure if these are global, but it's basically a large park with lots of different plants). She picked out a spot right next to the rose display, as they are her favourite flowers and hold a lot of sentimentality for her.

The issue is, I am quite allergic to flowers, think hayfever but worse. I'm not anaphylactic, but my eyes become so itchy they can swell closed, my nose runs like a leaky tap, and very rarely, I can struggle to breathe. The flower I seem to be most allergic to are roses, as the breathing issue tends to happen when I am exposed to them. Stacy does know about my allergies, and has seen me have a few reactions over the years.

I declined the invitation, and naturally, as 21st are usually an important celebration, she texted me asking why I couldn't come. When I told her, she became quite upset with me and said that my excuse wasn't good enough, and that there must be a better reason, and when I said it was my real reason, she became even more upset. She kept insisting that I come anyways, citing that I have medication to help me, but she must have forgotten it was a nasal spray, as when I reminded her she said that it was disgusting, and she didn't want to see that on her birthday, even though I offered to run to the toilets when I needed to use it.

I tried to comprimise with her, and said that I'd be happy to wear a mask, as it may help lessen the severity, but she shot the idea down as it was a picnic, so i'd take it off to eat, and she didn't want a mask to be in photos. I also said that I'd be happy to take her out for breakfast earlier in the day so we could still hang out for her birthday, but she declined as she wanted all of her friends to celebrate together. I don't want to miss her birthday, but I don't want to ruin it my being a sniffly mess, and possibly having a severe reaction. AITA?

have you tried not having allergies though

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

OP should go anyway and spend the whole time swollen, puffy, dribbling snot everywhere, and maybe not breathing. just completely steal the spotlight like a one-armed wedding guest

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh, you "can't breath"? Whatever, gonna have to try harder than that, jerk :rolleyes:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Foo Diddley posted:

OP should go anyway and spend the whole time swollen, puffy, dribbling snot everywhere, and maybe not breathing. just completely steal the spotlight like a one-armed wedding guest

"I'm not sure if they have them everywhere, it's called a 'Botanical Garden' and it's where people like me go to die."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for spilling family secrets?

quote:

So, my family is big on very lame secrets.

I (m34) have a cousin (m33) that shares the same problem, but he didnt know about it.

The secret is that my dad is not my biodad. His dad is not his biodad. The whole family knows that his dad is not his biodad, except from himself (how I cannot understand cus its so many signs pointing that out). However, none of the family except me and my sister (f35) knows that my dad isnt my biodad.

So yeah I might have told him that while I was really drunk and just tired of it all, same with me and ny dad situation. Cus I feel like he should know. I understand there might be reasons but honestly he so mature he should be able to make his own decissions, especially if its like my case, that my biodad dont even know I excist.

I feel this is going to give me a lot of hell. So, reddit AITA?

Finding that out at that age has got to be a woo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

I feel bad he had to learn this lesson this way, but also lol that boss is gonna get a lot of praise from the others

Its pretty lovely to get let go for something like that right out of the gate, but I wonder how much was explained. But I can see a manager wondering about this guy's judgement if he hears a about a 150 dollar limit and instantly tries to hit it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

Its pretty lovely to get let go for something like that right out of the gate, but I wonder how much was explained. But I can see a manager wondering about this guy's judgement if he hears a about a 150 dollar limit and instantly tries to hit it.

Its a judgement thing and its also loving with a really good thing the rest of the team takes advantage of.

Its also, likely, this is not the first stupid thing this person has done because at least in my experience people who abuse one mechanism tend to go hard in all aspects

Edit: the guy at one of my companies who was the biggest abuser of the expenses system also liked to ask for prostitutes from vendors, be unprofessional as hell in work emails, and got nuked from orbit when he used the emergency fire stairwell to get stoned on company time and blocked the emergency exit door so nobody else could get in.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

This person isn't your friend, OP. Friends don't try to get friends killed.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Last time I had a job with travel requirements, the rules were "hang on to your receipts for reimbursement" and "don't make us make an official policy". I was a bit surprised when I found out that approach isn't universal.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for asking my sister if her wedding was "worth it"?

quote:

My (27M) sister (24F) got married last Saturday. It was a nightmare.

She and my mom spent nearly the entire year in the leadup to the event talking about it. This wouldn’t have bothered me if it was excitement fueling all of those conversations, but instead it was stress.

I’ve never seen the appeal of a big wedding, but watching this play out has solidified my point of view. My husband and I got married in a small ceremony in front of only close family and friends (maybe 25 people there at most), hosted a slightly bigger reception for others we also wanted to celebrate with, and called it a day. There was no anxiety about planning, no looming dread that this perfect day we had built up in our heads might not go 100% as planned. Just us celebrating our love with people we love.

My sister’s wedding was the antithesis of that. It was over the top. The guest list was already massive, and then she allowed children there on top of that. If you can imagine 200+ people plus kids running around what is supposed to be a peaceful event and NOT get anxious, I envy you. I already knew the whole thing was going to go terribly, as much as I hate to say it. You can’t welcome that level of mayhem while also having your itinerary planned down to the minute.

There was nothing intimate or personal. It seemed she was inviting ‘friends’ she hadn’t spoken to in years just to fill out more seats. The whole thing was ostentatious and I have no idea who she was trying to impress. Myself and the rest of our siblings are all in similar financial situations. Just because you have the money to pay for something doesn’t mean you should.

My husband and I were ready to head home right after the ceremony, but we played nice and stuck around. At one point over the course of the night she ended up in tears, unsurprisingly. I got roped into trying to comfort her, and I asked my sister if it was worth it. Was all the planning and stress and money dropped on this event worth the final outcome. My mom told me that my attitude the entire day had been terrible, the comments from my husband and I were distasteful, and that the question I had asked was awful and rude. I haven't spoken to either she or my sister since.

AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only 200+ people? What is this babytown frolics. 450+ and overflow of ??? is how weddings go in my family. 200 people, what is this amateur hour. Fuckin embarassing rear end wedding is what it is

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Bargearse posted:

Last time I had a job with travel requirements, the rules were "hang on to your receipts for reimbursement" and "don't make us make an official policy". I was a bit surprised when I found out that approach isn't universal.

I've been at the same place for a long time, and I'm not sure there is a policy yet. All I know is, I'm not going to be the one that makes them come up with one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think of weddings like the Dothraki ones in Game of Thrones and think, that actually looks kinda cool, the murder and all aside. People drinking, having fun, etc. I wonder who plans a Dothraki wedding.

AITA for not spending time with my daughter?

quote:

I (36 M) have 3 children (12 M) (14 M) (16 F). I spend most of my time with my boys fishing, going on trips with them and their friends. Sometimes we even go camping. A lot of times they even sit around me and my friends when we're at the campfire. We spend a lot of time together bonding as father and sons but my daughter does not.

I take my boys to clubs like coding, American football, and basketball. I asked my daughter if she would like too go to any clubs but she declined and I said fine by me. My daughter asks me to do things like practice make-up, fashion etc. I have no interest instead I like things like football, fishing, and building things. I frequently visit hoe depot with my boys because we are always working on projects like how we are working on building a cabin. My daughter comes around asking me to come shopping with her which I find unimaginably boring so I pass on the offer. My boys hate going shopping with their mother and sister, but love the things I do with them so, whenever their mother is not forcing the too come we are always having fun. I've asked my daughter multiple times to come but she's refused.

The last few weeks she has been asking me to spend time with her, but she never does anything that would interest me. All she does with me is show me new clothes, talk about tv shows, and typical teenage girls stuff. I am not interested in things like getting my hair done so I do not spend time with her often.

Last week she came too me and I refused. I think this was the last straw in her book because she was furious. She started calling me out saying how I never spend time with her and that I love her brothers more than I care about her. (Which is not true).

I reassured her that I love her and her brothers equally but she does not listen. She askes me to try doing what she likes for a change but I explain to her how I am not interested. My wife has also called me out on this. When I told my friends, they told me it was just a "phase" and their daughters have done the same. This calmed me down but my daughter will not speak too me. I feel really bad.

AITA

I will not correct the spelling of Hoe Depot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

He and "how dare you keep trying to do boy things, daughter!" Dad should get into a fistfight.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol yeah, it's just a phase. When the phase ends, she'll have deadened herself inside to the fact that her father doesn't love her like his lovely pals's daughters have and just cut off from him.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think of weddings like the Dothraki ones in Game of Thrones and think, that actually looks kinda cool, the murder and all aside. People drinking, having fun, etc. I wonder who plans a Dothraki wedding.

lol imagine the kind of father he'd be if the boys weren't into any of those things either. What would he even do.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Counterpost: that dad should fight this dad.

AITA for making a scene at a fundraiser?

quote:

The local Boys and Girls Club was holding a carnival type fundraiser. My wife works for the school connected to this club, and the principal and superintendent were in attendance.

The carnival was geared towards adults (beer,food) but kids were allowed and there were a few inflatable slides.

It had been raining so the slides were closed. When it stopped and I saw kids on the slides, I sent my 6 year old daughter over (she was looking forward to it). She comes back dejected saying "only boys are allowed". I go to the worker and sure enough, he said it was too wet and dangerous for girls to go on.

I raised my voice saying "what the hell?! You need a penis to go down a slide at the boys and girls club?!" A manager comes over and decides to shut the slides down for everyone. Someone who's boy was upset about it starts dropping F-bombs at me, other parents start getting involved and it became a bit of a show for a few minutes.

Aita? My wife thought since it was for charity I should have let it slide and I embarrassed her in front of her bosses. I felt it was Egregious enough to call out the bullshit.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why should he have let it slide when they didn't extend his daughter the same courtesy?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We shut down the slides for everyone because????

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

people are so loving weird. so much dimorphism in 6-year-old humans, am I right? oh no, if we let a 6-year-old girl go down the slide, she might cry, which 6-year-old boys have never done.

I wonder if non-binary children get to ride the slide or not

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Barudak posted:

Manager may have been right actually. If it's supposedly too wet for girls to play on safely, that probably means it was actually not safe for any of the kids to be on and the rear end in a top hat worker shouldn't have let kids use the slide period.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Grape posted:

lol imagine the kind of father he'd be if the boys weren't into any of those things either. What would he even do.

He would treat his sons like his daughter, avoid them, and do hobbies and activities he likes by himself or with his friends who share his interests.

Barudak posted:

To turn the crowd against the OP so they will punish him for objecting to their sexism. I assume they think this will make it harder for him to accuse them of retaliating against him since they did it indirectly. This is always the goal behind collective punishment: to delegate retaliation to the other students, customers, soldiers, etc who are unfairly punished against your target because they can do stuff the person in charge is not allowed to do and the person being singled out is an easier target than the one who's actually in charge who is usually untouchable due to power, authority, etc.

AITA for asking my girlfriend to cover some of her tattoos?

quote:

I (26M) have been with my girlfriend (25F) for around a year now. When we first started dating she explained to me the meaning behind many of her tattoos- she has a lot of small tattoos. One of them is a small tattoo of her ex boyfriend’s car. She had been with him since she was 15 and both of them had a mutual love for cars. She bought an old bmw and he bought an old mercedes and they worked on the cars together and restored them to almost perfect condition. As soon as they turned 18, they both got matching tattoos of each other’s cars.

She also had another tattoo for him which was a flower that he had picked from her yard and gave to her on their first date. They broke up before we started dating, when they were around 23 because he was moving to his family’s house in El Salvador since his mom was sick and since she wasn’t born in the United States legally she didn’t want to risk deportation to go with him and she also didn’t want to do long distance.

After a year of dating, I mentioned that her having tattoos reflecting a previous relationship felt a little weird to me and that I wanted her to consider covering them up. She told me that she understood but she loved the tattoos, they reflected a part of her life not just her ex and she didn’t want to just erase that part of her.

She shows no signs of being still in love with her ex and for the most part our relationship has been very healthy and fun. Anytime she mentions him he’s simply a part of a funny story or a memory. I feel like being with her after a relationship like she had is a lot of pressure and the tattoos don’t make me feel any better.

I might be the rear end in a top hat here- but I told her if she doesn’t cover them up or get a tattoo for our relationship I don’t know if I want to be with her and she got very hurt and said that maybe we should end things. I don't want to end things and I didn’t mean to give her an ultimatum, I was just upset but I feel like I’m not totally in the wrong here, AITA?

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Aug 17, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
All women need to come in plastic boxes before they date me, a man. They can never have had any real meaningful interaction with a man. Because it will one day make me feel bad.

AITA for blowing up at my sister because she called my daughter an unwanted child?

quote:

Throwaway and fake names. Some background info at the start.

About 6 years ago, I (30F) was going through a pretty awful time and struggling with depression, and a lot of outside pressure from family, my studies, work etc. I met a guy at a bar and had a ONS, a short while later I found out I was pregnant. Despite my family's thoughts, I decided to have the baby. Yes I was prepared to be a single mom, but I still wanted to find the baby daddy and let him know, which I did when I was about 6 months along. I told him everything, and that he didn't have to be a part of the baby's life if he didn't want to but surprisingly he actually said yes, that he's willing to be a father. So my little girl Daisy (5F) was born, and we agreed to co-parent. He passed away in a car crash, when Daisy was 3.

So a few days ago, my sister Sarah (28F) and her husband had a potluck. Daisy accidentally spilled juice on the rug, I wasn't there because I was helping arrange the food on the table. Someone else told me that Daisy spilled juice and Sarah was with her, so I went to see what was going on. Sarah was telling her that she's a 'big girl now' and she needs to 'prove it'. Daisy looked upset. I asked Sarah what she was talking about, she said that Daisy spilled juice but that's okay, she's an 'unwanted child' so she doesn't have the proper discipline. Mind you, Daisy was right these when Sarah was saying this stuff. I got mad and said it was an accident and I'll clean it up (and both me and Daisy apologized), but she has no reason to say things like that in front of her. I sent Daisy to another room so she wouldn't hear, Sarah said that she's just 'speaking the truth' and neither me nor her dad really wanted her. I blew up, saying that we did want her after we found out about her, and her dad was also a loving and caring father until the day he died. I then told her to gently caress off, and that me and Daisy never want to see her again. We left after that, my mom messaged me later to find out what happened and she said I overreacted, Sarah didn't even get mad at Daisy for spilling juice and I went too far. AITA?

Always about the juice.

If that was my kid, Sarah would be drinking the next month of meals with a straw.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for asking my girlfriend to cover some of her tattoos?

Oh no my girlfriend has had a previous history of existence before I was the sole source of light in her life

Oh nooooooo :smithicide:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hawkperson posted:

people are so loving weird. so much dimorphism in 6-year-old humans, am I right? oh no, if we let a 6-year-old girl go down the slide, she might cry, which 6-year-old boys have never done.

I wonder if non-binary children get to ride the slide or not

They get to go down the slide but you have to gram em before they touch the ground.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
AITA for leaving my friend group chat after being left out at a wedding?

quote:

I, 23F, am being called petty and immature for trying to leave my friends group chat after my feelings were hurt.

I have a very large friend group that hangs out all together a couple times a year. We have a large group chat which we use regularly to share memories and photos.

As I mentioned, it’s a very large group, about 18 people. As such, obviously we aren’t all equally close. Some of the connections between people in the group is mainly mutual friends. However, we do all generally go to the same parties.

Well one of the people in this group was getting married and although we’ve known each other for a couple of years now, I’m not close friends with her. I suspected I wouldn’t get an invite to her wedding because she said it was more of a low key event and I knew she didn’t have a lot to spend on it.

When it came time to send out her invitations, I received a call from one of our mutual friends whom we are both close with. My friend wanted to tell me that the bride felt really awful about it but that she couldn’t invite me to the wedding because of limited space. I immediately reached out to her and let her know that there were no hard feelings and that weddings were stressful enough. I did feel a little bad about not being invited but I also assumed that there were other people in our friend group receiving similar calls.

Well as it turned out, I was completely wrong. This weekend my group chat blew up with pictures from the wedding and while I was looking through them I realized that I had been the only one who didn’t receive an invite. What was worse was that everyone who had a SO has gotten a plus one; even my friend who had started dating his girlfriend AFTER I was told they couldn’t invite me.

I was so embarrassed. I’ve been very insecure about friendships the majority of my life because I’ve had multiple people “upgrade” to someone more popular than me. So I suppose because of this I got upset and decided I didn’t want to be apart of the entire group anymore and I left the group chat.

That’s when my friends started reaching out to me asking why I had left. Some of them were understanding but my best friend told me that it looks really bratty and petty. Now I’m feeling bad because I really didn’t want to put a damper on their wedding joy, but being excluded really hurt my feelings. So now I’m worrying. Am I in the wrong?

It's way pettier to start whining about someone leaving a group chat. Which is because of something they all did. Hit da bricks OP, no friends is better than poo poo friends.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hit da bricks OP, no friends is better than poo poo friends.

:hai:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

My father was like this, except I was the ignored younger brother he also emotionally and physically abused if he would ever deign to notice I ever existed. No-contact, and have been for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Grape posted:

Being a mass of insecurity doesn't really make it ok to be a selfish prick or prickess.

Yeah I was trying to present the options in a goofus and gallant sort of situation where one is clearly the correct option.