Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

You will be alright most of the way too tier 16 maps and non-uber boss versions if you have a few skill points in the wrong place or are using Steelskin where Molten Shell would be better or things like that. As long as you dont completely miss a key build enabling thing like not having Elemental Equilibrium activating on an Explosive Arrow build. I play solo self found and find things I should have had all along worth like a 15% dps increase embarrasingly late (level 96) with basically everything I play.

As long as you are looking at suggested builds that is, if you completely make it up as you go using familiar logic from WoWarcraft and imagining you ought to be fine or whatever then you will likely stall out in early maps for not knowing PoE's specific synergies and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

euphronius posted:

Be careful reading Reddit. The posters there mostly seem to have the idea that if a build cannot global an Uber boss it is not worth talking about .

"Avoid reddit" is just a good idea in general.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Crowetron posted:

General new player question here: how much should I be sweating builds? I've been following one that looks like fun and have been enjoying the game in general, but I'm not sure how religiously I should be stopping to double check every stat point and skill. Are the passives the only really important part since you only get a limited number of respecs? Seems like the actual skill gems are pretty easy to get and experiment with.

Yeah, really depends on your goal. There's a lot of fun, wacky builds you could do, but you will hit a ceiling and some builds will hit the ceiling sooner than others. The funnel of viable builds (or in some people's words, 'good builds') narrows the further up you go.

You may not even know what your goals are right now, but if you're currently having fun, that's great. Eventually you'll hit a wall, then you can post here and people will give you a laundry list of things you can fix. Once you fix it (and hopefully learn a thing or two), you'll hit another wall, the upgrades will get increasingly more expensive, and you might give up. But you'll go 'man, I wish I could do X', and then you can make X your goal for your next character.

Re: passive trees. Respecs aren't even that limited -- each Orb of Regret gives you one respec point. Regrets aren't even that expensive all things considered. Eventually you'll hit a point where your next piece of gear upgrade would cost more than respeccing your entire tree, so it's not as permanent of a choice as you'd think. You shouldn't feel the need to meticulously check every stat point if that's really bogging you down.

In fact, many high-end builds suck absolute balls to level, so many folks level with a completely different skill and different tree, and then just wipe away their entire tree and completely respec at level 90 or whatever.

Skill gems are easy to get and experiment with, but gem levels do matter. So if you swap to a different skill or support and it feels worse, keep in mind that the reason could just be gem levels, and there was nothing wrong with the gems themselves.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Crowetron posted:

With these sorts of ARPGs, endgame is usually where I drop off. I'll take it easy, then!

Also, don't be afraid to launch a multiplayer game with a title like "Act 2, new player, chill pace" or something like that to pick up some teammates, or even ask if any goons are in the same spot to you. People treat partying like it's cancer, but it's part of the game and can make things interesting and more forgiving, just as long as you don't get people trying to rush you or spamming 500 spells a second. There's a "swirly" icon next to each player's name that will let you instantly teleport to them as long as they haven't progressed past a quest boss you weren't present for, or used a quest item that you didn't also have near them when they used it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

You can as you play keep getting more and more Regret orbs to respec as much as you need. You can even vendor other orbs into Regret if you don't have some handy. Or ask goons in 5555 as the league goes on and they can often spot you, they've helped me out when I'm flat broke and need to redo an Ascendancy (which takes like 30-40 regrets).

However, for me, one of the absolute best ways to truly learn the game is to take the PoB of the build you're interested in (download Path of Building Community Branch if you don't have it), and toggling gear/gems/skills to see how it truly affects your DPS and survivability.

I was probably going off some old info thinking respecs were more limited. loving around with the PoB is a good idea. I've been following a Lightning Strike Raider build and I'm coming up on where they want me to switch from 2H swords to claws but...I'm having fun with the big swords and there's a whole sword based branch of the skill tree just right there lookin' at me!

facepalmolive posted:

In fact, many high-end builds suck absolute balls to level, so many folks level with a completely different skill and different tree, and then just wipe away their entire tree and completely respec at level 90 or whatever.

And this right here basically assuages all my fears. Thanks everyone!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Respeccing to something different at 90 is not trivial for new players. For many reasons

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

euphronius posted:

Respeccing to something different at 90 is not trivial for new players. For many reasons

I mean, if I wanted to totally wipe everything out, I'd just make a new character probably. But if there's enough respec orbs that people can do that, there's definitely enough for me to readjust from goof-ups.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Adjusting goof ups and tinkering around is trivial yes. You will do a lot of respeccing adjusting to attribute needs, defense needs, fitting in clusters, taking advantage of jewels that change the passive tree, etc

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Just keep in mind if you want to change your Ascendancy you need 5 Respec points per node *and* you have to run Lab again to touch the altar to do so (but you can do this in Normal Lab)

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Right sorry; I didn't mean respeccing an entire tree is common or even expected, and definitely not so as a new player. Most people pick something in the middle -- a leveling setup that can 'easily transition' into their endgame (with everyone having a different definition of what 'easily' means). I meant to illustrate a point, that you don't have to meticulously pore over every single point every time you level, that you can take those couple of +resistance nodes on the tree as you pass by if you're short and regret them away later. But no, you shouldn't be looking or expecting to blow away your entire tree.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Crowetron posted:

I was probably going off some old info thinking respecs were more limited. loving around with the PoB is a good idea. I've been following a Lightning Strike Raider build and I'm coming up on where they want me to switch from 2H swords to claws but...I'm having fun with the big swords and there's a whole sword based branch of the skill tree just right there lookin' at me!

And this right here basically assuages all my fears. Thanks everyone!

Yeah as long as you're having fun then there's nothing you need to worry about really. You get like 20-ish free respec points from doing all the quests which won't let you revamp from melee to spell casting, but would be plenty to specialize in a different weapon like you're describing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Crowetron posted:

With these sorts of ARPGs, endgame is usually where I drop off. I'll take it easy, then!

I'd note that PoE is pretty different from...any other ARPG I've played.

My first time through, I really enjoyed the campaign. I recommend you take your time and do the same! However, this is a case of "the real game is the end game". The end game system is the Atlas, where you start on maps (you probably knew that), and it's A Whole Thing. That's where there's more interesting bosses to unlock and fight, lots of stuff to "unlock", etc. The gear and build requirements ramp up as you go through things too.

Crowetron posted:

I was probably going off some old info thinking respecs were more limited.

I'm gonna have to disagree with Zero VGS. Dude is a super player, who probably doesn't remember being a wee newb. You can 100% respec, but respecc'ing your whole tree (or even a large part of it) is quite an endeavor as someone fresh to maps (or in early maps), esp as a new player. You'll have to engage in trade a good bit to get enough regrets if you need notable rework.

If you're just tweaking a few points here and there, yeah, not a big deal. The campaign gives you some respec points, and you'll find orbs of regret here and there. But, esp as a new player getting their feet under them, you're not going to be able to easily say "Time to reset 100 points!".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People here have played everything . Now is a good time to ask about things that look good to you as there is relatively high engagement

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

however as a new player posting in the something awful thread, you can probably get crowd funded the regrets needed for a full tree re-spec as long as you're past the first week of the league

xZAOx posted:

My first time through, I really enjoyed the campaign. I recommend you take your time and do the same!

the campaign really is fun as hell the first time through. I ended up leveling my Holy Flame Totem Templar to 76 before I killed A10 Kitava my first playthrough returning to the game since 2013/14~ because I was having a blast and was an idiot and didn't read a single piece of info about the changes the game underwent in 6 years. boy does getting three ascendancies at once make you feel strong!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

xZAOx posted:

Dude is a super player, who probably doesn't remember being a wee newb. You can 100% respec, but respecc'ing your whole tree (or even a large part of it) is quite an endeavor as someone fresh to maps (or in early maps), esp as a new player. You'll have to engage in trade a good bit to get enough regrets if you need notable rework.

I have been called many things, but a "super player" is not one of them lol, I am brain dead and only succeed at meme builds because my background in game QA lets me find and exploit mechanics faster than GGG can patch them.

I think people have shown many times that you can 100% respec a character in less time than it takes to go through Ten Goddamn Acts, like as long as your build half-works and the new build you want is still in your character class, you can play white maps and pick up 6-socket items for Jewelers, and keep selling those until you can vendor all the currency up into enough regrets. Even without touching trade I'm fairly sure it would be faster than doing a whole new character, especially when you count all the other poo poo that would drop and all the XP you're getting. Now, it might be more *exciting* to level a new character if you haven't beaten the campaign 300,000 times like I have, but there's no way it is materially faster than doing the minimum-wage grind for Regrets.

Lastly you can join someone else's mapping, plenty of public parties will chain-run white or yellow maps and allow free-looting (just make sure it doesn't say the host keeps loot, there's always parties that aren't dicks like that).

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poe is an ARPG with no actual end goal but it has the world's longest mandatory tutorial for every character. i think the devs secretly were inspired by jrpgs more than Diablo sometimes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can do it , it’s not trivial for new players tho is all I said

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If the got rid of the campaign , early maps would be very similar to the campaign . So I just think of the campaign as maps.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

xZAOx posted:

Taking bets on if Divine drop rates from Heist and Tujen (and maybe Ritual, or anything else) have been cratered?

Confirmed that both Tujen divines have been changed to cost the current exalt cost, and that divine conversions on trinkets have been nerfed. They really thought of everything!

good unique rolls having high value now is going to own

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I have been called many things, but a "super player" is not one of them lol

Weren't you the guy who had some insane aurabot and cursebot triple-boxing setup? I mean I'm not sure if 'super player' is the right term but I have no clue what to call you lol

(And while it may not sound it, I'm saying this with the utmost awe and respect imaginable. I think.)

e:

InventorOfTrees posted:

Confirmed that both Tujen divines have been changed to cost the current exalt cost, and that divine conversions on trinkets have been nerfed. They really thought of everything!

good unique rolls having high value now is going to own

:qq:

And those with bad rolls will crater in value. Which can be a good thing, for build-enabling uniques for you to use a stepping stone to eventually upgrade out of. Probably kills a lot of builds with tight resistance or stat requirements though.

This is probably also a massive indirect nerf to wardloop?

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 17, 2022

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he has a unique and virulent form of brain-aids for sure

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

euphronius posted:

If the got rid of the campaign , early maps would be very similar to the campaign . So I just think of the campaign as maps.

I mean, maps don't require me to turn stuff in though.

I don't mind running through the campaign at the start of the league. If it's one of those leagues where I do like 6+ different builds then it gets really grindy and annoying on the last few.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

No Safe Word posted:

I mean, maps don't require me to turn stuff in though.

I don't mind running through the campaign at the start of the league. If it's one of those leagues where I do like 6+ different builds then it gets really grindy and annoying on the last few.

You'll click 14 times to loot loving stupid fireflies and you'll like it.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3294117

Console players are gonna get the trade site. They're adding a PM button directly to the site so that you could use it from the console web browser directly.

Said button will also be available on PC (this explains the "you must be logged in" bit from the notes)

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
PoE 2 cross play with Series XS enhancement, please... Sounds like it could happen.

I'm so glad controller support is on PC now. It's very good and feels great. I missed the goon chat.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I really like Waggle's take on a lightning conduit starter, if I start it I'm probably following his version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agd7EhUdxXg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Solved suppression by going max res. Interesting

Edit

Still has 100% suppress and 90 max fire with tempered by war

euphronius fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

WTFBEES posted:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1559643002171445248

This sounds amazing but the highlight seems invisible?

maybe just make your trade system not suck poo poo instead of adding dumb poo poo to your busted rear end system like this

e: but I know they won't do that so it's a good change, I just wanted to vent

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Aug 17, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What about spell slinging the shock applications and then spell slinging or COC conduit

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

RandomBlue posted:

maybe just make your trade system not suck poo poo instead of adding dumb poo poo to your busted rear end system like this

e: but I know they won't do that so it's a good change, I just wanted to vent

Nerf trade its too powerful already!!

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

RandomBlue posted:

trade is mostly fine and is the best part of the game

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

InventorOfTrees posted:

you havent got a Clue

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

InventorOfTrees posted:

https://youtu.be/V9O94UTDAJQ

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

facepalmolive posted:

Weren't you the guy who had some insane aurabot and cursebot triple-boxing setup? I mean I'm not sure if 'super player' is the right term but I have no clue what to call you lol

(And while it may not sound it, I'm saying this with the utmost awe and respect imaginable. I think.)

Larry Parrish posted:

he has a unique and virulent form of brain-aids for sure

Cons: it takes me twice as long to hit maps as anyone else, twice as long to do basically anything, and Infinite Hunger is literally impossible because he teleports all my toons to different sides of the swamp

Pros: I beat Maven while face-tanking her memory game, I spent all of Ultimatum/Ritual leagues standing still instead of running around in circles.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

InventorOfTrees posted:

Had me in the first half lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Oh man people are gonna be pissed

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1559730971850973184

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's like a 7% nerf at 65% shock, much worse if you were going off min shocks though.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any case anyone is wondering why there is no auction house https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2025870

And it doesn't make any sense to me. My game experience won't be any worse off when I no longer have to spam 20 people before one replies that the item sold already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DangerDongs posted:

Any case anyone is wondering why there is no auction house https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2025870

And it doesn't make any sense to me. My game experience won't be any worse off when I no longer have to spam 20 people before one replies that the item sold already.

they're betting that your game experience would be better if instead of spamming 20 people for a trade you just decide to keep clicking monsters instead

not saying its the right way but that's their thinking