Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
"The Shiverm looked at the distance left to go on the bridge, and then looked back at his home and realized, there was nowhere near enough ice for this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

A baardiche discovers something foreign, something new: friendship. (Optional: and then eats his new friend).

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The little plungerboa had a plan. She would snackreate a vast edifice of pinball and launch herself to Twomb!!

The aardiche had a scorned gift for magicks. So alone he walked among the other peoples to see what they could make that he could also make.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The Gods could only dimly see the events of the Godless Age, and affect them not at all. But anything was better than the eternal stagnation of the Ocean, and so they watched and listened. The People lived their little lives, clinging to their fallen Gods and clinging to eachother, unaware of the inevitable dissolution of their whole existence. These would perish long before then, of course, but their descendant’s descendant’s descendant’s… that was a story for the future. For now, the People of Nowhere would thrive.

“I came to the Mattockhorn to conquer its challenges, but ended up starting a successful snack business instead!” posted:

I'm an Asaurt like any other, I suppose. Roar’s my name, hello. I grew up hearing tales of the Great Axe Mountain from the clan elders, and could point directly at it if you spun me blindfolded. I got big, I got strong, and I made my way there. I saw the lines of other Topseekers and I sneered. I alone would reach the top.

I broke my leg a week in, and the quitters bore me down to Haft. I’m not ashamed to say I sank deep into Inkswill, drinking away my sorrows as others challenged the peak. What else could I do? I’d given everything up to climb, pushed myself to the limits of my abilities, and it wasn’t enough. I lay there among the refuse until I noticed that I wasn’t alone. Others had washed out, proven too dull to weather the challenge. And more were coming all the time! They saw my injury and asked me for advice, asked for my story, and I found I liked the company. I built myself a little shed - plenty of building material scavenged from the divine challenges and welcomed people as they came to Haft. Soon it became a sort of informal meeting place, and I started selling my ma’s old recipes to people coming by.

To my surprise, it was a hit! People started visiting Haft just to visit Roar’s Snack Spot - I guess they just saw something in it that reminded them of their childhood? Either way, I felt happy, for once. Fulfilled, maybe? Every once in a while though, someone’ll ask if I ever missed the thrill of the climb and I’d get real wistful. Truth is, I don’t know.

DECIDE posted:

1A. Roar tries the climb again.
1B. Roar is satisfied with his lot.

“I like to paint walls with murals, and I ended up making our whole community a bit brighter.” posted:

Ink marks things up really well. I love the look of it, big dark splats against the Dinostone walls. It’s, er, not as popular with my parents. They says to me “Ping,” - they says - “Ping, you’re a menace! Our neighbours aren’t happy with your little ‘artwork’, and need I remind you that our neighbours could throw us all the way to the Mattockhorn! What would Baxie say! The Hero might see your mess one day, and think of how ashamed we’d be!”

Baxie won’t see it. Baxie is out doin’ important stuff. Hero stuff, somewhere else. Probably wrangling those Axefaces into a treaty, or beating up some monsters. Besides, what’s the Hero going to care about some splashes of Ink? Not hurtin’ nothin’. So yeah, I just ignore my folks and go mess around on the rails. One day, though, I found something cool. Found some glowy flower that gets real powdery if you squish it in your paws. Tastes bad, don’t ask how I know. Anyway, you take that powder and mix it with Ink? Glowy Ink.

I started small, tagging some out of the way rocks and stuff, but it just looked so nice. I got braver. Hit a big Asaurted building in town, drew a flower on it, then bailed before they spotted me. Heard people talking about it later - and wouldn’t you know it, even my parents dug it. Didn’t tell them it was me, though. I drew some more stuff, and the buzz got louder. I got amped up, tried to outdo myself, and soon my whole town was just blazin’ in the night with the stuff.

Only then it got boring. I needed to go further, do something more than pretty pictures. I wanted to make a difference with my art, you know?

DECIDE posted:

2A. Ping does something risky and political.
2B. Ping goes out into the world to tag other places.

The Asaurted lay to rest a line of box furniture that is too far out of fashion and thus slated for Extinction. posted:

Thag frowned down at the Frilly Trichairatops and scratched his muzzle with a horny claw. He didn’t quite understand it himself - he wasn’t privy to the IKEƎA like the higher-ups, it wasn’t up to him to make these things. He was Beefarm Clan; he was here to lift stuff - and if needed, to break it up and toss it into a crevasse or something. What was wrong with this specific chair? With the whole line of em’? They just told him “Thag, my man, time for these things to go Extinct.”

He picked it up in one heavy arm and turned it this way and that. It was ugly and crude, but there were plenty of ugly chairs in the world. Assorted Asaurted clans were turning them out like no one’s business. But these chairs, these chairs, it was time for them to go. No one wanted them. There wasn’t a niche for them, and they were taken up space. Ol’ crevasse time.

He took a seat on it, and it flexed beneath his bulk. Not very comfortable either. Why did they make the drat thing in the first place? If you were just going to throw something away, why even make it? It just seemed… Thag shrugged. He had tons of these to get rid of. He didn’t really have time to think.

DECIDE posted:

3A. Thag keeps the chair.
3B. Ol’ crevass time.

“Ages ago I heard of a defiled monster in the deep, but that’s a children’s tale. I’m going to go down there and prove it wrong.” posted:

Nib largely thought her family was a bunch of cowards. Superstitious cowards, to boot. She and the rest of her pigment lived on the outskirts of a big line of Warpweft inscription that was said to encircle the whole of these deeps. It was ancient, from before the time of her parents or even earlier, and still thrummed with power. It was, she thought, utterly ridiculous. Crossing it was banned on pain of exile, even reaching across it prescribed. There was food right there, valuable snacks just out of reach of her feathery grippers. And why? Because of the Beast of the Deeps.

They’d all heard about it, had it drilled into their reservoirs that this was the greatest crime, that to pass the threshold was death. Everyone had an uncle or a friend of a friend of a friend who had done it and never returned. But where was the proof of it? Nib was not one to take things on faith, and so she found herself here on the edge. She peered over, stretching her beak as far as she dared, but saw nothing, just the slow pulse of Neon in the deep distance. She pushed further - and then she was across. She winced, but didn’t die immediately. Emboldened, she went further, descending into the dark.

This place was called the Garden, once. That much at least had been passed down, but always in tones of loss and pain. It was said to be beautiful and strange beyond description, but she was disappointed. Strange, sure, but much of it looked dead, wilted, or twisted. She paused and had a frisson of some deep emotion when she spied what must have been some ancient Weftwork patterning on a wall. Nothing so powerful as the great barrier, just a child’s artistic scrawl. She touched it with a soft gripper, feeling keenly the age of this place. Why had they abandoned it? It was-

She heard something. A voice? A whisper? Some stones scraping, down below? Superstitious, Nib. Unworthy of you, she chastised herself - but on the other hand, isn’t that why she came here? To confirm whether there really WAS something? On the other gripper, she could just leave with this bit of ancient Weftwork, take a look at it… always some value in the old stuff…

DECIDE posted:

4A. Nib descends further.
4B. Nib harvests old artifacts.

“The first time a large section of the Flickerfare collapsed, it was so hard to make ourselves go on without guidance…” posted:

It sounded like the world was falling apart. First a groaning crack in the Ice, then an intense feeling of pressure in the air, the feeling of intense anticipation before disaster. Everyone stared at the colossal structure, worrying about friends and family working on it, worrying about the effort they’d need to expend to set broken pieces to rights. And then, all at once, a whole section calved off and fell agonizingly slowly to the fields below. Twomb rang like a bell when it struck, the sheer noise of it breaking panes of Ice and Neon across the world. Hundreds died, either immediately or in the days afterwards.

And then, after that, the despair. The Flickerfare was ruined. It had taken generations to get this far, and who know how much of it needed to be further disassembled to ensure this wouldn’t happen again? And what of the dead? If they were somehow… stored in the medium of this grand structure, and the medium was shattered… had they lost their venerated ancestors in the crash? Had they somehow been… corrupted, or lost, or…

And what now? The Flickerfare had been a gift from the Gods, a holy trial to bring both the Peoples of Twomb to greatness; it could not simply be abandoned. But as the People of Twomb gazed wretchedly upon the destruction, they could not fathom how they would pick up and continue on their own. Without the aid of the Gods, this seemed utterly, utterly impossible.

DECIDE posted:

5A. Work on Flickerfare halts for the Age. The People repurpose pieces of it.
5B. Work on Flickerfare begins anew. The People discover new methods of building, but the risk is high.
5C. Work on Flickerfare begins anew, and the People lean heavily on Noble’s divine power.

”What is this big, freaky thing that washed up on the Ice?” posted:

Glint and Chill alternately flew and slithered their way towards the edge of the great Ink lake and the latter nudged the thing with his mandibles. “What,” he said, voice dripping with disgust, “is that?” Glint danced from foot to foot, wings folded in front of her face in excitement. “I don’t know! It just sort of… turned up, one day! You know how the Ink got all weird a while back, right? How it just sort of…”

She waved her feathers before her eyes, trying to convey the startling change in Inkly clarity that had happened a while ago. He tapped the ground with his mandibles, indicating impatience. “Yes, what about it?” She hopped, snapping her wings out. “I saw some of these things down there! They ran away when they saw me! Swam away. Swam away when they saw me!”

Chill gripped the slippery thing and flipped it over. He couldn’t make - pardon the expression - heads or tails of it. It had a hard sort of beak, and some long Inky flippery things, and the back end of it was sort of… feathery? He nipped at Glint’s flank and she squawked as he plucked a feather. Her tail blazed bright in annoyance, but he ignored her and studied the two elements. Startlingly similar structures despite the big size difference, almost like its read end(?) was one big feather. It was more flexible though, and felt strangely muscular. “So did you kill this one or what?”

She slapped the back of a wing to her forehead and made to swoon, but he ignored her and she continued. “No, I found it like this just flopped here. Looks like it was sick. I mean, maybe it’s not supposed to look like this, who knows, but it looked sick.” He considered it, considered her, and stalled while she watched him with her too bright, too beautiful eyes and waited for his response.

DECIDE posted:

6A. Toss the body back into the Ink. Maybe continue this date(?)
6B. Bring the body to someone higher on the paygrade.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 15, 2024

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

1B
2B
3A
4A
5B
6B

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
1A
2A
3A
4A
5B
6A

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

push onward, always strive for more

2A. Ping does something risky and political.
the voidwind howls, howl back

3A. Thag keeps the chair.
remember the mistakes

h̴͓͗e̶̠̐l̷͔̽p̴̲̅ ̵̗͝t̴̝͘h̶͓̽e̸͒͜m̶̝̀

5B. Work on Flickerfare begins anew. The People discover new methods of building, but the risk is high.
let no risk go without reward

let our problems be, forget

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
1B
2B
3A
4A
5B
6B

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
1B
2A
3B
4B
5A
6B

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

(One last shot at glory. Nothing wrong with a humble life, but… maybe now that he’s found a greater inner peace and sense of connection through the power of Snacks, he’ll have the strength to reach the top.)

2A. Ping does something risky and political

(Ping has a gift—why not try to change people’s minds, and therefore the world, through art?)

3B. Ol’ crevasse time.

(This chair doesn’t spark joy. Let’s thank the chair for doing its job and let it go… it’s provided a spot for beings to sit, and it’s also helped teach the world what kind of chairs aren’t needed. And then let’s think about how to avoid wasting resources in the future.)

(Deeper, deeper, and deeper yet. Something is down there. Someone has to find out what.)

5C. Work on Flickerfare begins anew, and the People lean heavily on Noble’s divine power.

(The Gods of the First Age are gone, but their legacy lives on—and Noble is living proof. Being touched by the divine comes with the burden of the People’s faith, but surely Noble will bear it… nobly.)

(Let the Ink embrace the body of one of its own. Return this ill-fated creature home with a solemn prayer to an empty Heaven.

…also, this is clearly the beginning of a beautiful relationship! Who knows what wonderful iceworm-neonbird babies this might end with? [Okay, so their species are almost certainly not compatible enough to have hybrid offspring, but still. Love is beautiful. :P])

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Love all of these.

1A Roar tries to climb again

Sometimes all we need is inner peace and a little help from the friends we made along the way. It was meant to be teamwork after all, not a singular individual, right?

2A/B Ping goes out into the world to paint political imagery
Art is meant to convey a message, and to be shared. Whatever message Ping feels is important needs to be shared, not just here, but everywhere. Why, maybe even on the Mattockhorn!

3A Keep the chair
Maybe this is just an ill-concieved table, or it can be used to hold or display something? It's not comfy to fit in, sure, but there has to be a way it doesn't go to waste.

4A Nib Descends
You sought the truth. Would you accept anything short of the proof now? Go.

5C Lean on Noble
While risky, so is this great project. If Noble has any contributions that may be significant and helpful, perhaps it is time to continue in a way that is safer and will lose fewer lives. At the very least, can it be shored up to prevent this mishap again?

6B Help the poor thing
Sure, maybe you don't know what to do, but empathy is an important trait in a partner, and perhaps if someone can figure out how to help this thing, you will have made a valuable friend and a true memory.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1A
2A
3A
4B
5B
6B

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

1A
2A
3B
4A
5A
6B

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
1A
2B
3A
4B
5A
6B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1B
2B
3B
4B
5B
6B

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
1B
2B
3A
4B
5A
6B

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
1A. You'll never know if you don't go / You'll never shine if you don't glow.
2B. Spread your art wide, inspire many people, let the number of artists grow.
3B. The ol' crevasse comes for us all, chair and Bench alike.
4B. Bring the artifacts back. Tangible proof that the threshold isn't literal death, hopefully will embolden other explorers.
5C. Godly structures require Heroic builders.
6B. Others need to know about this creature.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. B
2. A
3. B
4. A
5. B
6. A

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
1 B
2 A
3 B
4 A
5 A
6 B

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
1B
2A
3A
4A
5C
6B

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
1B
2A
3B
4A
5A
6B

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1B.
2A.
3B.
4A.
5B.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
1B
2A
3B
4B
5C
6B

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
1A - What is life, but a competition - now with enough snacks to make it all the way there!
2B - Wanderlust and wander art! Spread it far and wide! Someone else can be 'political', you just want to be GOOD at it!
3A - Maybe it was its time. But Extinction has this funny way of not quite managing to catch them all. Also: free chair is free chair.
4A - Down you go. Down into the depths. Witness the doom of old. The error and arrogance of the goddess.
5A - It is not yet its time. Pantocrat wanted it done eventually, no need to be in a rush. Live life! Surely the ghosts trapped within this structure, who gave their all for it, won't begrudge you this.
6B - This doesn't look good. Sick, strange creations of the deep? Bring it to the very top! Wait, can it even breathe Neon?

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

1B
2B
3B
4B
5A
6B

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
1B
2A
3A
4A
5B
6B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
1a2b3b4a5b6b

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
1:B I've found a place and happiness, I mostly hold wistfulness for the climb now
2:A Art should be shared!
3:B Thag has no time for nostalgia
4:A Nothing tempts, or scares, better than the unknown
5:B This is our task, not the Gods'. What if we rely on their power and the next ones are... uninterested in this task.
6:B

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

B - Roar is satisfied with his lot. posted:

One night I woke up and stared at the top of the Mountain. I could almost see it there, gleaming at the peak, that fabled treasure. I’d reached for it, once, tried to hold it in my claws, and it had slipped away. And now… Well, now I have my claws full of all sorts of other things. Friends, strangers, stories, legends - and me, all woven up in there with the rest of them. Someone might claim it, one day, become a Hero and all that, but I think… for now, at least… I’m good with what I’ve got.

Yeah, I’m good.

quote:

(The treasure at the peak of the Mattockhorn is yet unclaimed, the trials of the mountain proving too much for any challenger. The town of Haft continues to grow with demand. Roar lives a full life, and dies content.)

A - Ping does something risky and political. posted:

It was clear as Neon that I needed to go big. Even my parents were raving about this ‘mystery artist’, and wondering what they would do next. So was I. That night I found myself standing in front of a big wall in the town square, big flat dinostone surface just waiting to be tagged. I wracked my brain for something big and important to say but I'd never been one for… Keeping up with politics and all that, you know? So instead I just wrote the first thing that came to mind.

‘Where ARE the Gods?’ It was just an idle thought, but people got really up in arms about it. There was a whole debate about it, and the Chiefs got involved, and my parents eventually moved me and my sister away. I don't think they ever learned it was me who did it, and I never really found the time to tell them.

quote:

( The graffiti sparks a debate in the village that eventually spills out into the world at large - where ARE the gods, where do they go, and will they ever return? This increases feelings of both existential despair and religious fervour, and often sharply divides communities based on individual feelings on the matter.

Also, Neon-Ink (and other mixtures) become commonplace over time.

B - Ol' crevasse time posted:

Thag considered the chair for a while longer, then tossed it in the Box with the others. He gripped, strained, hoisted, and began to carry it. He was Beefarm Clan, this sort of weight was little more than an inconvenience for him. But the metaphorical weight was hellacious. These chairs represented the end of a line, a hope to capture the interest of People across the world, now dashed into hopelessness. He gave them a last moment of thought - then hucked them into the nearest, deepest pit in the plains.

He clapped his beefy hands together, then went back for the other Boxes. There were plenty where this came from, and the pit was plenty deep. All thoughts of the Frilly Trichairatops vanished under his burdens, and so it went.

quote:

(The Frilly Trichairatops line of home furnishings has been consigned to the dump, never to be seen again. Also - and this is probably nothing - the crevasses dotting Oneder are gradually being filled with refuse.)

A - Nib descends further posted:

Nib shook her pen to clear her thoughts, her eye scanning the dark. She steadied herself as much as she could, grippers gently brushing against the Weftwork as she moved towards the source of the sound, deeper into the Garden. As she descended, it grew darker still, the great weight of the Ink above blotting out even the light of the Neon threading through the Inkstone bedrock. And despite growing ever closer to the source of the sound, it remained maddeningly indistinct. Muttering, soft scraping, always running deeper. She couldn’t turn back now. She’d made her choice, though her instincts cried out for her to turn away.

She squeezed through a narrow tunnel that had been trebly ringed by fierce looking Weftworking and emerged into a great cavern. Great wasn’t enough to describe it - even her Ink-adapted sight couldn’t pierce the gloaming distance, curved and whorled stone extending out seemingly forever. And what stone! She boggled as she drew close to it, realizing what she’d taken for natural patterning was in fact Weftwork, curled and looped in through itself in a motif that never repeated. She felt a powerful pressure against her mind, and wilted in the face of it. She turned to leave, but the exit was suddenly impossibly distant, spiraling away all the faster as she tried to approach. Something spoke in the darkness, and she-

”█████ █████ █████████ ██ ███ ████ █████.”
Nib writhed, her innards twisting even as the thing’s words sliced deep into her flesh. It touched her with one titanic limb, a gripper like a mountain range bludgeoning her with careless power.
”█████. █████ █████! █████ ████ ████ ███. ██████ ███/”
“I don’t… understand! What are you-”
”█████! ██████████! ██ ████ ████̵́͠█҉҉̸͞ ҉͘█̸̨́͘͢█̷̨̢͘͠█̢̧̀ ̸͘▰̡͠▰́̕͡͞͡▰͞▰̨̛̀͜▰̴͠▰̵̀́͏▰̷͜͠!̶͟”

Nib understood just before the end.

quote:

Nib vanishes, becoming a cautionary tale that further drives the Squild into seclusion. The seal on the Tattooist weakens. The Tattooist learns, a little bit.

B - Work on the Flickerfare begins anew posted:

The Peoples of Twomb largely ignored the wreckage for a goodly period of time. They saved who could be saved and consigned those dead to slumber in the structure of the great bridge. They resolved, collectively, not to dwell on whether the promised afterlife had been somehow damaged by their carelessness. For a long time of rest and meditation, the workers and the priests and communities of the People of Ice and Neon worked to purify themselves of whatever malaise had caused (and been generated by) the collapse. And then, because it had been commanded, they began anew.

First came the demolition. Whole sections had to be dismantled, the Pinrail bars underlying them hopelessly bent. Ice had to be chipped away, melted, and recast. Dinostone had been warped and powdered by the impact, and so new quarries had to be dug… the work was endless, but so was the time they had to work on it. It wasn’t all bad. Some elements could be salvaged, some had been found to be lacking and modern methods superior, and morale gradually improved.

But the lessons of the Fall would not soon be forgotten. The Peoples of Twomb would try again, but they had lost very much in the process, and they would certainly have questions once the Gods returned. Questions, and demands.

quote:

The Flickerfare returns to construction, and the People are able to do it on their own. Noble is able to put his powers to other use, and the community’s overall ability at construction improves by leaps and bounds. However, their favour with the Gods has dipped slightly, and their anxiety is high. Two main questions burn in their collective minds: are the honored dead alright in their afterlife, and: why must they build this thing?

B - Bring the body back posted:

Chill pulled the thing out of the Ink and examined it more closely. Glint hopped from foot to foot, impatient or uncomfortable. “So, what are we going to do? Do we just sort of…” She skiffed her foot across the Ice, flicking some flakes into the Ink. Chill shook his head, clicking his mandibles again. “No, someone is going to want to see this.” Glint’s beak curled in disgust, then she shrugged. “Yeah, alright, I wanted to show you, after all. Here, I’ll grab the… head?”

They half-flew, half-dragged the thing into town, attracting their share of gawkers. Eventually, enough people were pulled off the Great Work that even Noble, Hero of Neon, flew down to see just what the heck was going on. Glint grabbed great featherfulls of Chill’s fur in excitement, causing the latter to drop his charge in a combination of pain, irritation and a sudden spike of absurd jealousy. He bit it down, then bowed. “Honoured Hero, have you ever seen its like?” Noble leaned right in close, stroking his perfect chin and peering at it. He ‘hmm’ed loudly, then hopped over it to land lightly on the other side. He made another thoughtful sound, and Chill thought he saw sweat started to bead on his perfect forehead.

But Chill had also seen something else. “Pardon me, Honoured Hero, if I could…” He stretched out his mandibles gingerly and held the Hero’s head close to the body. In the light from the Hero’s shining noggin, Chill spotted… minute patterns on the corpse’s surface. At first he thought they were natural, but they seemed to shift uncannily as he looked at them. He opened his mouth to speak, but then-

”███ ███ ███ ████████████ ███!” The ‘corpse’ thrashed and gasped, wailing out in an alien tongue. It sprayed the air with Ink - blood? - and lashed out blindly. Noble immediately became all business, blasting the onlookers back with a burst of air from snapping wings before kicking the thing away. A long moment stretched on before… nothing. The Hero fluttered over, then tapped it with a talon. “Dead. Really dead, now. Vile thing.”

The others gathered around their Hero and cheered, but Chill called Glint over to look at the Ink the thing had sprayed out. It had blasted across the Ice, searing something into the surface.

“What do you think it means?” Asked Glint.
“I think,” said Chill, “It means we’re not alone on Twomb.”

quote:

The Warpweft message from below is preserved in storage and studied, as is the corpse of some hapless Squild. Legends and rumours abound about the strange Ink beasts. No sightings are made of other such creatures in the Godless Age. Chill and Glint never really made it work, much to the former’s sadness.
The Gods watched (for really an unexpectedly long time), but eventually the Barrier began to weaken once more. Soon, they began to push and clamour for entrance, that they may enter the world and remake it in their own image. But only five may claim the honour… Contest among yourselves, O Gods!

ENGODDENING posted:

Sorry for the delay, folks! I’ll need five new Gods. Same as before, roll 1d100, only now you add you Wisp totals. Gods who joined last time may not roll (because you’re dead), and must content themselves with watching the newcomers make fools of themselves trying to get in!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 4, 2024

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I wanna be a god!: 1d100+4 71

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Godhood, maybe? 1d100+4 = 48. Nope, no godhood.

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
Ascending to Gohood (probably not): 1d100+4 : 9

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
God Roll 2: 1d100+3 16

Curb your Enthusiasm theme

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Nihil, God of Nothing 1d100+4=13

https://orokos.com/roll/953056

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Skein, God of Binding

Glimpsed: 93

Gothic Rite
Dec 22, 2020

The visions of the elders were oracular, though in their terror they kenned not what they saw. When I triumph in this new combat, this unseen and still place beyond reason and closed eyes, what wonders of knowledge will be my plunder?
Incursion: 1d100 = 83

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Rose, God of Entangling Growth
God-making roll: 1d100+4 61

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Engodded?: 1d100+4 55

No god for me

Chatrapati