Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

The world is a mutable, malleable thing. In the immeasurable vastness of the Ocean, tiny pinpricks of Something burst into being, only to vanish. Without a stabilizing presence, they are hopeless against the crashing waves of Nothing. Without Gods, Something has no hope.

Gods float above the Ocean, droplets of dew against its immensity. Without worship, they perish, snuffed out. Small crumbs of Something draw countless Gods, feeding on eachother and on the life they nourish with their presence. All are doomed to return to the Ocean, but for a time they grow strong and fat, and it is enough. Without Something, the Gods have no hope.

Once, there was a place called Somewhere. A land where Ages of Gods soared over the land, reshaping it to their will - until the People they raised were finally strong enough to stand on their own, to push the old Gods aside, and cast off into the Ocean themselves. Somewhere has survived. Somewhere is safe.

This isn’t Somewhere.

This is Nowhere. Something - the Prime Material - is in short supply. It has collected here in enough supply to support life, but not forever. Inevitably, bit by bit, the world will collapse. But not yet. First, the Gods will have a playground, a place where they may touch and shape the world.

THE PEOPLE MISSED YOU posted:

Welcome back. In The Fragile Gods of Nowhere, you take the form of a God, shaping and manipulating the world as you see fit. This is a vastly multiplayer game, where any number of people can play - but only a few (at a time) have the starring role as Gods. For those unfamiliar with the game, or who have forgotten in the years since we last played, here’s the short form: this is a game of several Ages, and in each Age several Gods will rise and meddle with the creatures of the world before vanishing and allowing the next crop in to play.

FRAGILE GODS II!? posted:

This is a spiritual sequel to The Fragile Gods of Somewhere, set in the same “universe”... But nothing else will cross over. No repeating characters or Gods, all Wisps are from a totally different crop as the other game, etc. This game takes place elsewhere in the Ocean and either before or after the other game. Additionally, some mechanics might change through a combination of me wanting to try new things aaaand not remembering how I did things last time. Long story short (too late) you need no knowledge of the other game at all. Come build sand castles with us before the waves wash it away.

GODS posted:

• To create your God, simply roll d100 and list your Name and Specialty. That’s all - I will pick the top 5 rolls to participate. For instance, Thakoth, God of Rain or Vendri, Goddess of Molten Steel or Wallace, God of Candy. Keep it simple, at least initially. You’ll have the chance to add to your Portfolio, with time - if you survive.
  • For you are indeed Fragile. Each God begins with 3 HP, and each turn you must roll a d20 to determine the magnitude of your Action.
  • On a dice roll equal to or below 10, lose 1 HP.
  • On a roll of 1, lose 2 HP and your Action backfires entirely, causing the opposite effect.
  • On a roll of 20, your Action is greatly magnified and you gain a +1 Bonus to Actions thereafter.

WISPS posted:

The Gods aren't alone on Nowhere. Only five Gods can be active at once - Nowhere is still rather small, after all - but the would-be Gods outside can still affect the outcome as Wisps.
  • Any reader not currently portraying a God is a Wisp - Wisps have no Names or true personalities, but may affect Somewhere through affecting the Gods.
  • A Wisp may still add or subtract one point from any active God’s Action. If this drops their roll below 10, so be it - the Ocean is a harsh place.
  • Each Age, a given Wisp may add or subtract twice and abstain once. Last game people wrote it in their posts like --0++ to keep track. Make sure you use them wisely!
  • Dice rolls only go between 1 and 20 - any bonuses or maluses that would cause them to exceed these thresholds merely become a buffer. For instance, a roll of 19 with +3 granted by Wisps would mechanically become a 20 - but would require -3 to lower it to a 19, rather than -1. Mostly you don't need to concern yourself with the math!

TAKING ACTIONS posted:

GODS
  • List your Name, Specialty and HP at the top of each post in Bold.
  • Write a post about what you intend to do, then roll a d20. That's it.
  • Your Specialty doesn't confer any mechanical benefits, but does affect how your Actions appear to your worshipers, which may have effects down the line.
  • Don’t change your action after you’ve posted, because that’ll mess with the Wisps who post after you. If you need to, let me know and we’ll make it work.
    WISPS
  • You don't get a name, but make sure to Bold any changes you make, as well as the name of the God affected.
  • You can edit your votes pretty freely; I’ll let you know when I’m about to update - I’ll scrape the thread for values shortly before!
  • Each time you make an action, you weaken the wall between you and Somewhere. Keep track of how many you do!
-O-
Five Gods descend on Nowhere, batting aside all pretenders to their thrones, erecting barriers around their precious land. Those trapped outside languish in the harsh Ocean, only able to affect the land with Wispy fragments of their power. The Gods set down to work upon this land, to make it their own - and to save themselves. Even with this Somewhere, they will one day die - but to die on the land, to sink into it and strengthen it and become it... that is worth fighting for. Behold Nowhere, in its twin glories.

THIS IS NOWHERE posted:

Right, that's Nowhere! A little odd, eh? Nowhere is a pair of land masses, initially separate, called Oneder and Twomb. Consider them planetoids, though from your Godly perspective they may as well be flat sheets! People and things on one of them can only interact with stuff on the same mass… unless you change that somehow with Godly power. You’d better roll well, though, or else you’ll get some weird problems.

Once again- I need a d100 from everyone - the five highest rolls will be our first set of Gods, and the rest will be Wisps. Second, along with your d100 roll, I also need 5 Materials from each of you, regardless whether or not your roll is good. These can be things like Water, Ice, Chocolate, Licorice, Honey, Stone, Gems, Metal, Wood, Rabbits, Dragons, Pastry, Meat - you get the idea. Preferably something tangible, something visible. Single words, please. These will form the building blocks for this world in their broadest sense: choosing Rabbit, for example, doesn’t mean that there will be rabbit people, just that they will have some qualities associated with it, and the landscape may take on traits of rabbit habitats. The blank landscapes above will be shaped by the Concepts chosen, and so will the People upon it.

I will choose the top 6 most suggested concepts, merging them together when necessary (If a bunch of people pick Granite and other people pick Stone, they’ll be combined). A crucial factor: I want to avoid Materials taken in past games, as well as stuff conceptually similar to it. So: no Silver, Water, Milk, Glass, Dice, Fire, Iron, Little Old Ladies, Slime, Steam, Brass, Chitin, Gold, Books, Trains, Peppers, Hope, Electricity, Cards, Wool… anything that's shown up in a Fragile-like. That’s a lot of stuff cut out, but I’m certain there’s still a lot of weird choices left for you guys. Take no Actions, just yet - once choosing the Gods and Concepts is done, I’ll make another post to set the scene.

ONE LAST THING posted:

We have a Discord for this and other games here, but I suggest posting comments and and whatnot in this thread directly - last time several off-the-cuff comments got brought into the game and there were times where the Gods interacted with the Wisps directly. Gives a different sort of vibe, you know?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Codex
Contains Remnants, Magic, Votes, total wisp counts, and lots of other neat stuff.

Fundamental Materials

Gods - Age 1

Nummor, Lord of Snacks / O'Steely, God of Axes / Pantocrat, God of Creation / Pandora, Goddess of Chaos / Crate-Ur, God of Boxes

Gods - Age 2

Politique, the Communal Spirit / Acos, God of Stability / Liberlibra, Goddess of Libraries / Kaeir, God of Patience / Passe, God of Doors

Gods - Age 3

Nyl, God of Silence / Felice, Goddess of the Fae / Docbarongov, God of Twombstone / Rancorous, Goddess of Disharmony / Adam, God of the Atom

Gods - Age 4

The Hollow House, God of the Hollow House / Devouring Star / Meteo, God of Vectors / Tester-Of-Limits, God of Experimentation / Thredd, God of Stitches / Nyl, Avatar of Silence and Chaos

Gods - Age 5

Hakurei, Goddess of Spirit / M’eheh, God of Ennui and Idle Whim / Toddles, God of Children’s Edutainment / Angeliar, God of Fishing / Flare, God of Heroes

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 15, 2024

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Oh you know I'm all about that boyeeeeeeeeee.

1d100 = 95, O'Steely, God of Axes.

Pinball, Sugar, Ink, Neon, Axes

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 25, 2022

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Kurtlegrim, God of Conniving

Engoddening: 1d100 12

Axes
Nitroglycerine
Pinballs
Dinosaurs
Neon

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 27, 2022

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

also feel free to ask questions here or in discord for those new to the game!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Apotheosis: 1d100 57

Axes
Relaxation
Butterflies
Meadows
Neon

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 25, 2022

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Engoddening: 1d100 24

Feathers
Neon
Dust
Paper
Ice

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 27, 2022

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Felice, Goddess of the Fae

Engoddening: 5

Juice, Sugar, Fog, Graphene, Croissant

BraveLittleToaster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 25, 2022

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
The God of Narcissism, God of Narcissism
Become a God: 1d100 81

Axes
Stardust
Ice
Ink
Neon

Astus fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 26, 2022

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
I wanna be a god!: 1d100 26

Elements:
Tinsel
Fog
Graffiti
Olives
Neon

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 25, 2022

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

also you can definitely edit your votes if you change your mind based on other people's ideas!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Engoddening: 1d100 18

Axes
Dinosaurs
Neon
Rope
Volcanos

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Skein, God of Binding

Perceived: 73

Rope
Shackles Locks
Glue
Leather
Community

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 25, 2022

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
Apotheosis: 1d100 46

Neon, Axes, Sugar, Dinosaurs, Telephones Pinballs

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 25, 2022

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Mystery, God of Curiosities

God-making roll: 1d100 73

Element Votes (v3):

Dinosaurs
Neon
Nobility
Pinball
Axes

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 27, 2022

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
engoddening!: 1d100 96

Nummor, Lord of Snacks

Porcelain, pork, dinosaurs, potato, books

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
God get, Twogatha Goddess of Mutualism: 1d100 30

:rip:

[b]Tombstones
Pinball
Ink
Butterflies
Graffitti
Axes[/b]

Slaan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 25, 2022

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Ascend to godhood!: 1d100 71

Mora, Deity of Danger

Mud
Stardust
Ink
Fur
Redwood

Lord Zedd-Repulsa fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 25, 2022

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Pantocrat, God of Creation: 1d100 95

Dinosaurs
Mysticism
Philosophy
Fancy
Axes

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 25, 2022

Theanael
Jun 21, 2019
Valfried, God of Tools :
Ascending to godhood: 1d100 61

Ice, Cards, Flowers, Axes, Inks

Theanael fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 27, 2022

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Manifesting: 1d100 73

Pinball
Bricks
Tacos
Suede
Jet Fuel

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Crate-Ur, God of Boxes:
Unpacking a surprise: 1d100 93

Chests, Ink, Keys, Axes, Dragons Dinosaurs.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 27, 2022

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Snoop, God of Ancient Hidden Secrets Too Terrible To Name
The Roll of Engoddening: 1d100 52

Sugar
Spice
Everything Ice
Flesh
Neon

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Oit, God of Gluttony
Manifestation roll: 1d100 92

Elements:
Pies
Sugar
Meats
Ovens
Pinballs
Utensils
Juice

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 27, 2022

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

KittyEmpress posted:

Oit, God of Gluttony
Manifestation roll: 1d100 92

Elements:
Pies
Meats
Ovens
Utensils
Juice

You have my wisps :hai:

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
Passe, God of Doorways

Godhood: 1d100 59

Violins
Keys
Ink
Axes
Pinball

Bass Clarinets
Timpani
French Horns
Saxophones

The Wandering Mage fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 26, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Mysteria, Goddess of Masks

God Roll: 1d100 15

Neon, Mask, Sugar, Key, and Dinosaur

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Upthar, God of Towers

God Roll 1d100 = 4 (lol)

Ice, Neon, Clouds, Roses, Obsidian

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 27, 2022

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Pandora, Goddess of Chaos

Pandora Apotheosis?: 1d100 95

Elements
-Neon
-Ink
-Sugar
-Mask
-Mysticism

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Engoddening: 1d100 75

Materials:
Feces
Sugar Ink
Dinosaurs
Honey
Oil Ice

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 27, 2022

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Cagn, Lord of the Wild
Roll: 71

Materials
Potatoes
Mancatchers
Viruses
Moons
Cameras
Toilets -> Pinballs

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 27, 2022

Bee Bonk
Feb 19, 2011

Iotl, Goddess of the Ostracized
Apotheosis: 1d100 25

Materials
>Ink
>Axes
>Keys
>Neon
>Dinosaurs

Bee Bonk fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jun 26, 2022

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Kohmhako, God of Bridges
Lets become a god!: 1d100 8

Materials
Dinosaurs
Stardust
Cacti
Mud
Rope

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Dasan, God of Undeath

Rise as a god: 1d100 59

materials:
Chairs
Ice
Mercury
Hair
Axes

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

FIRST ERA FIRST PLACE:
...orokos is throwing a database error at me but it wasn’t a good roll.

Votes:
Juice
Pinball
Ice
Key
Rope

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Noname, God of Nothing

Roll: 42

Materials:

Void
Eyes
Blood
Tentacles
Occult Texts

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I see you're all too cowardly to go for the element of Surprise

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Sell me Surprise as an element.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

UnCO3 posted:

I see you're all too cowardly to go for the element of Surprise

TheNabster posted:

Sell me Surprise as an element.

[I'm the God of Boxes, not Surprise Sales! [Orokos willing]]

[So instead I got y'all nice folks these boxes inside some bigger boxes and also another box. Don't you wonder what's in them?]

What's in the Box? posted:

A crucial factor: I want to avoid Materials taken in past games, as well as stuff conceptually similar to it. So: no Silver, Wat(snip)... anything that's shown up in a Fragile-like.

WHAT COULD IT BE? posted:

… What was it? A box, like natural dicestone formations, but strangely weighted. And what was this crank? Gingerly, they twisted it, hearing strange tinny tones from within. Again, just as they were about to give up, they have it one final twist.

When the shock wore off, they laughed and laughed, then tried it again. It somehow always shocked them, popping out at different times, in different ways. They moved onto the next experiment, still chuckling, each of them so distracted that should the End come they wouldn't even notice!

(Oh man, the BAM is on Fire! Thanks to Sycamore’s subtle guidance, first Chocolate then Surprise (Essence of the Unexpected, Insight, and Revelation) find their way into the hands of the People - and many more look like they’re making their way down the pipeline. The mingling of Iliminali and BAM skills and technologies have created a whole new branch of study, Wild Hunch Artificial Materials. It takes a certain outside the Box mindset to bring a new Material to life, and the science of WHAM emphasizes both creative and analytical mindsets!

The BAM will likely be experimenting with their Wild Hunches until the count runs down and catches them by surprise.)

Oops! Surprise was discovered as a Material in Fragile Gods of Somewhere and may therefore Ineligible to be a Material in this brave new Nowhere! UnCO3 might want to pick a less startling vote or get DK to clarify whether a surprise Surprise appearance counts! Other Materials of similar nature are Potato and Chocolate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
:actually:

There should be an element of mystery and yet another of danger.