Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

nut posted:

DALLE will help everyone to accept the half-assed results of failed ai promises. the pics suck rear end and don’t hold a candle to even a rudimentary photoshop. you gotta squint and stand back for a vague partial image of something you asked for that being said if Alvin and the chipmunks being found guilty of war crimes at gitmo worked I would change my tune

Yeah, it just keeps me from being too bored at the night job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Victor Vermis posted:

Does anyone else sometimes suppose that one could effectively suppress the flow of undesirable information on the internet by way of counter-flooding search engines and commonly used sources of information with benign articles that include similar keywords? Just thinkin out loud...

yeah, some folx say Elon Musk will often make a bunch of tweets covering related keywords before explosive news to make it harder to find actual info. I think it’s a waste of time for him because google is making search useless all on its own.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

nut posted:

DALLE will help everyone to accept the half-assed results of failed ai promises. the pics suck rear end and don’t hold a candle to even a rudimentary photoshop. you gotta squint and stand back for a vague partial image of something you asked for that being said if Alvin and the chipmunks being found guilty of war crimes at gitmo worked I would change my tune

Yeah, hoo boy, AI created art that draws from unknown sources across an unfettered landscape of input. Sheeeeeesh.

So where did you go during your absence from the thread?

~~kicks footstool in your direction, twists swinging lightbulb on~~

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Victor Vermis posted:

That's way more creepy. Mine could legit be written off as "wrong book, right cover, publisher did an oopsy".

Someone was trying to open your 3rd eye.

I like to think it was Hillary herselves. just remembered this Madonna move…

https://themusicnetwork.com/when-madonna-leaked-a-fake-version-of-her-album-to-thwart-pirates/

quote:

In 2003, the fear that music piracy could derail the entire music industry was a very real one, and Madonna duped everyone by once releasing a fake version of her own album.

Two years earlier, Metallica had won a landmark court case against Napster, but – just as clearing drug dealers from street corners only results in other dealers swooping into the territory – Napster’s position had simply been taken up by a host of other peer-to-peer file sharing services, all of which were less traceable and more flagrantly unregulated than Napster.

Rather than take the legal route, Madonna decided to fight fire with fire, uploading a fake ‘leaked’ version of her American Life album to file sharing service KaZaA – best known for their flagrant disregard for laws and title case conventions, and for being a word you hadn’t thought about for a decade.

Madonna uploaded a version of her album with the correct titles, but upon downloading every song, listeners were greeted with a loop of her saying, “What the gently caress do you think you’re doing?” Pretty funny, pretty petty, pretty awesome.

But, as Shakespeare once said: “Don’t be playing a player, fool.”

A hacker from Phrack Magazine didn’t like this gall, and responded in kind, hacking her own website, and writing, “This is what the gently caress I think I’m doing…”, posting download links to the actual leaked album, plus radio remixes, club mixes, her 1994 Bedroom Stories album (why not?) and a rather touching, if mistimed marriage proposal to one Morgan Webb.

The leak didn’t harm her chart position, with the record hitting #1 in America, selling 241,000 copies in its first week. The drop off from previous album Music was notable though, with the latter selling 420,000 first week. Whether it was a result of the leak, or a sign of the times is unclear.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

https://themusicnetwork.com/when-madonna-leaked-a-fake-version-of-her-album-to-thwart-pirates/

It's wrong, but yeah, I'd probably vote for the first lizardperson to out themselves.

Someone you could crack a pineal gland with.

I just appreciate honesty, you know?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ooops I got the bad version.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I hate this.

I was skeptical as a kid about someone tap-tap-tap'in a new language into a feral child's palm,

But then like.. several decades went by,

And now I'm so loving old and skeptical and lovely about every new concept that comes my way it's like Helen Keller has to pass mustard all over again.

Victor Vermis has issued a correction as of 07:29 on Feb 2, 2023

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ooops I got the bad version.

why the hell is my kindle version the bad one too, wtf

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cia funds infiltration of counterculture and cognitive awakening of its members with lsd

counterculture creates radical new modes of interpersonal relations on communes

communes all implode from toxic personalities going unchecked by the supposedly level and apolitical forum they used for conflict resolution

commune kids then get intelligence funding to become radical individualist cyberneticists and create an internet version of the perfect society the communes had fallen short of.

the cyberneticists instead end up creating the commodification of their old toxic commune forum experience, transferring the small group societal breakdown methodology they unwittingly pioneered to broader society where the drama of strangers can be sold as a drug more powerful in its mind altering capabilities than the lsd this whole American destabilization project started with.

wild

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mawarannahr posted:

growing up, you download a "bad" version of a song, but that's the only version you ever really knew so when you finally listen to the "correct" one on Spotify or whatever it feels weird and your mind is grasping for the Limewire copy

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

cia funds infiltration of counterculture and cognitive awakening of its members with lsd

counterculture creates radical new modes of interpersonal relations on communes

communes all implode from toxic personalities going unchecked by the supposedly level and apolitical forum they used for conflict resolution

commune kids then get intelligence funding to become radical individualist cyberneticists and create an internet version of the perfect society the communes had fallen short of.

the cyberneticists instead end up creating the commodification of their old toxic commune forum experience, transferring the small group societal breakdown methodology they unwittingly pioneered to broader society where the drama of strangers can be sold as a drug more powerful in its mind altering capabilities than the lsd this whole American destabilization project started with.

wild

This sentiment touches on one of the biggest contradictions in conspiracy theories: why are psychedelics simultaneously regarded as vile tools of the state but also essential components to greater understanding/acceptance? If it's a question of external inputs under the effect... well, Jolly West can only be so many places at once.

The response is obvious, but still I'd propose: when the counterculture is countering one BIG, discriminating, fuckin culture, you're gonna find some weirdos under your tent, and not always on the culture's payroll. The counterculture, opposed to order, cannot succeed because it yields the concept of cultural/societal norms to THE culture. Controlled opposition at worst, harmless sideshow at best.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
i think psychedelics are very powerful tools. like any tool, it can be misused by bad actors. not dissimilar to something like "state power." unless you're an anarchist, and if so, sorry bud.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

psychedelics mute your ego and make you interpret sensory information in novel ways, it takes you off the well-worn neural pathways your average day to day thoughts use, and new connections can be made.

They also are very disabling. If you've done them or been around people tripping, you know.

If you have a reasonably pliable subject, what those drugs do to a person can be used to guide that mushy little egoless mind in whatever direction you want, with some caveats for the reality of psychedelics as wildly chaotic in their nature, you can broadly influence how a subject interprets their environment with sufficient control of their environment and person.

When people do it on their own, or in ad hoc groups, with a random, and uncontrolled environment, the influences and thoughts are random. sometimes divine, sometimes horrific, sometimes just weird or awesome, sometimes life changing and religious, sometimes just a good time with limited mind-expanding insight.

So, while I would advocate tripping at least once in your life with people you know and trust well, and love if possible, I would also caution against ever using them in foreign environments, around people you don't know or trust, nor would I ever really trust administered therapeutic use, just because of poo poo like mk ultra it feels unreasonable to be that credulous or trusting towards anything of that sort.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Since I got the wrong version of Aberration, I started reading Late Victorian Holocaust instead.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Riot Bimbo posted:

psychedelics mute your ego and make you interpret sensory information in novel ways, it takes you off the well-worn neural pathways your average day to day thoughts use, and new connections can be made.

They also are very disabling. If you've done them or been around people tripping, you know.

If you have a reasonably pliable subject, what those drugs do to a person can be used to guide that mushy little egoless mind in whatever direction you want, with some caveats for the reality of psychedelics as wildly chaotic in their nature, you can broadly influence how a subject interprets their environment with sufficient control of their environment and person.

When people do it on their own, or in ad hoc groups, with a random, and uncontrolled environment, the influences and thoughts are random. sometimes divine, sometimes horrific, sometimes just weird or awesome, sometimes life changing and religious, sometimes just a good time with limited mind-expanding insight.

So, while I would advocate tripping at least once in your life with people you know and trust well, and love if possible, I would also caution against ever using them in foreign environments, around people you don't know or trust, nor would I ever really trust administered therapeutic use, just because of poo poo like mk ultra it feels unreasonable to be that credulous or trusting towards anything of that sort.

Agreed 100%. Any trip I didn't enjoy involved "outsiders" intruding, even if they were obviously just present by circumstance and not in any way hostile. Nevermind the possibility of bad-faith actors capitalizing on vulnerability.

The post by Real hurthling! seems to be the initiated's version of a shower thought: an oblique perspective on the seemingly obvious, but ripe with potential for deeper truths:

- The culture utilizes the tools of the Counterculture.
- Psychedelics admittedly leave you vulnerable if environment is not accounted for, and..
- The nature of the guardians of The culture is that of an incipient, intrusive, serpent.

Counterculture is understandably not discriminatory in admittance to its events and "rituals", so it should be no surprise that The culture sees little obstacle or moral objection to infiltrating or subverting. It's a permissive, public, atmosphere.

Controlled opposition at worst. A sideshow, thoroughly documented, processed, and filed-in-an-increasingly-interconnected-and-privacy-intruding-state-system, at best.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

growing up, you download a "bad" version of a song, but that's the only version you ever really knew so when you finally listen to the "correct" one on Spotify or whatever it feels weird and your mind is grasping for the Limewire copy

For years I thought Simon&Garfunkel sung Crimson And Clover. I also once tried to download the Paris Hilton sex tape, but it turned out to be a video of someone cutting a live pigs head off with a chainsaw.
RIP to that home computer, god knows what terrible viruses were mixed together by me downloading linkinpark.exe . I might have started skynet

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since I got the wrong version of Aberration, I started reading Late Victorian Holocaust instead.

that one hosed me up for a while. I tried to do a "let's read" about seven years ago, but...

too drunk.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Not advocating/cautioning for/against anything either way. Just musing/poo poo posting (mushit posting?).

Also not trying to freak anyone out- you all get into dreams/entities and I do. not. read. those. Namaste.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone posted:

that one hosed me up for a while. I tried to do a "let's read" about seven years ago, but...

too drunk.

https://youtu.be/AEgjPiFUELU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veins of latin america are open is a good banger too for guano based crack ping

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

The post by Real hurthling! seems to be the initiated's version of a shower thought

i was explaining an adam curtis thesis to someone and had to keep mentioning "oh they did that with a cia check in their pocket" for each historical moment and ended up saying it for every step of the thesis and wrote the post because i was now unable to stop saying it

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

i was explaining an adam curtis thesis to someone and had to keep mentioning "oh they did that with a cia check in their pocket" for each historical moment and ended up saying it for every step of the thesis and wrote the post because i was now unable to stop saying it

A thesis from him? Or about him? I excluded him from my interest in the Seth Rich stuff right up until it became apparent (thanks in part to this thread) that he was tangled up in a lot of the frayed threads of the thing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

A thesis from him? Or about him? I excluded him from my interest in the Seth Rich stuff right up until it became apparent (thanks in part to this thread) that he was tangled up in a lot of the frayed threads of the thing.

like the thrust of a series he did. machines of loving grace. he mentions the cia or other american deepstate poo poo a lot in that series but not in the domestic sphere of the argument, just in like cia and state dept melting the congo prime minister in acid type situations.
he does acknowledge the cias involvement in counterculture/cybernetics in i think it was the more recent "cant get you out of my head" where hes got lee Harvey oswalds roomate giving a interview about the free society he was building online later in life and his strange hobby of rekindling public belief in conspiratorial illuminati groups via penthouse letter writing campaign called "project mindfuck", but he leaves the cia connections unsaid in machines

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 06:44 on Aug 17, 2022

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hell yeah brother I just ordered that book, let's get loving upset

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

like the thrust of a series he did. machines of loving grace. he mentions the cia or other american deepstate poo poo a lot in that series but not in the domestic sphere of the argument, just in like cia and state dept melting the congo prime minister in acid type situations.
he does acknowledge the cias involvement in counterculture/cybernetics in i think it was the more recent "cant get you out of my head" where hes got lee Harvey oswalds roomate giving a interview about the free society he was building online later in life and his strange hobby of rekindling public belief in conspiratorial illuminati groups via penthouse letter writing campaign called "project mindfuck", but he leaves the cia connections unsaid in machines

Well gently caress.

I am now 3 minutes into All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace and if this isn't a full-on expose of the satanist (actual satanist) deep state, I will be shocked.

I like the aesthetic so far. Thanks!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

Well gently caress.

I am now 3 minutes into All Watched Over By Machines of Loving Grace and if this isn't a full-on expose of the satanist (actual satanist) deep state, I will be shocked.

I like the aesthetic so far. Thanks!

its not really its about how neoliberal politicians let their financiers run the world "apolitically" to great detriment as a digital prison was built around us and we were convinced to view nature and our own bodies as machines in a network not as a metaphor but as a reality

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also how the sony ps2 helped kickstart the african world war by raising the international price of coltan

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

critcismwise:
it spends too much time on ayn rand and her creepy eyes

it doesnt mention the cia in domestic poo poo as stated

it gives clinton a portrayal as misguided or bamboozled by his over influential financiers rather than as someone who wanted to kill welfare or set off the great asian economic crisis for a quick buck of his own accord

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Notes on All Watched Over By Machines:

Rand's selfishness as a guiding principle: presented as a capitalist ideal that inspired the mindset of entrepreneurial "Randian" heroes of silicon valley, while conversely elevating those same people to guiding hands of a new digital global order.

loving naive on their part. Obviously.

9 minutes in. Proto-pong. Collective at scale. Dumb-founded amazement over nothing. See: sports stadium cheering screen saver hitting corner of screen. "Order" from chaos and pattern recognition. Not a basis for theory, foundation of silicon valley "priesthood".

12 mins in: high ideals of internet as a new non-state state for humanity.

14 mins: Alan Greenspan's absurdism philosophy, skipping ahead now.

Rand's novelization of Anti-altruism as a guiding principle for society, predicting innovators as victims.

Skipping ahead more: IMF, Wall Street, and the Financial System, post-colonialism world not playing nicely with the global order..

Back to Ayn Rand.. gently caress this feels like a boring denouncement of Ayn Rand. I'm already there, friend. I'm done.

I understand this is from 2011, and that coincided with a peak in Rand's popularity (maybe?) with Rand devout Pauyl Ryan's VP bid, but Curtis could've cut 30 minutes of run time by rolling off of Ayn Rand's corpse and I might've stuck around.

Real hurthling! posted:

critcismwise:
it spends too much time on ayn rand and her creepy eyes

it doesnt mention the cia in domestic poo poo as stated

it gives clinton a portrayal as misguided or bamboozled by his over influential financiers rather than as someone who wanted to kill welfare or set off the great asian economic crisis for a quick buck of his own accord

lol you beat me to it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah its of its period for sure

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

I have seen the Aldophs

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Antonymous posted:

she died in 1968. there's video interviews with her and she can talk pretty well. lol

I don’t think the accusation is she never existed, it’s that she wasn’t actually deaf or blind. Not that it’s indicative of anything but funnily enough there was a blind item on this

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Victor Vermis posted:

This sentiment touches on one of the biggest contradictions in conspiracy theories: why are psychedelics simultaneously regarded as vile tools of the state but also essential components to greater understanding/acceptance?

The biggest obstacle to understanding this is the general lack of distinction among psychedelic drugs, particularly between psilocybin mushrooms and LSD.

In this thread I don’t feel a particular need to preface this with “I know this sounds crazy, but...” think about it. LSD was created in a government lab as part of an attempt to make the ultimate super soldier who could function without sleep. Mushrooms, by contrast, grow in the ground and were probably one of the things that kickstarted our evolution as a species.

LSD got the big push because it elicits introspective and individualistic trips, which goes well with the whole “think for yourself, but more importantly, don’t listen to what other people think” mindset that is poisonous to any communal project. Speaking anecdotally, psilocybin by contrast brings a more holistic understanding of the interconnectedness of man, nature, and god- not something the CIA is particularly interested in, no?

It’s important to keep this context in mind specifically when talking about these drugs because they do completely different things- the CIA mostly only likes the drugs that are damaging to human societies and relationships like crack and heroin, and upon reflection of the 60s and the self destruction of the counterculture movement, LSD seems to fit right in there.

tl;dr reaffirming that acid specifically had a negative material impact on our chances at a cohesive socialist project, and it was done on purpose

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
lsd owns and mushrooms suck

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Cuttlefush posted:

lsd owns and mushrooms suck

See? look at this guy undermining the project, smdh

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Most people can’t handle LSD and will just have their minds split open by it and made useless from a revolutionary perspective

Which is what happened

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lsd consistently gives me the universal vibe way more. i was literally unironically trying to start a loving commune for a while after my first really high dose lsd trip, and mushrooms are largely something i use to work through my own personal poo poo?

like there are huge differences between mushrooms and lsd and i think lsd is way more potent, but I don't think it's necessarily more disposed to atomizing personhood. I think lsd ended up playing the role it did over psylocybe mushrooms is pretty simple?

When you could get precursors and a willing chemist, you could churn out way more LSD than you can grow active doses of mushrooms, and you also don't have to chow down on tons of dried up mushrooms. Yeah I know there are ways to make ingestion less painful, but it's never gonna be more pleasant to take mushrooms than to down a sugar cube/sweet tart/strip of acid.

so that was the drug that caught fire, with mushrooms kind of playing second fiddle until LSD supply got hosed enough by the war on drugs? There's probably a reason mescaline has never come close to either, too, and has nothing to do with its quality as a drug.

but that's beside the point, i don't think either of them is more or less disposed to a trip of a certain type. For me some of the subjective effects, the kind of visual distortions, and body load are wildly different, but the overall headspace is imminently comparable. Mushrooms and cannabis give me nightmarish thought loops that i've never had on acid, but I can't really tell them apart for their mental effects besides.

Between that and the fact that LSD was popularized by ex-army guys and the children that grew up in the wake of world war two, the ideas that were in the air were just more individualistic, because that's what those early acid guys pushed, that's what was in the air of the counter culture at the time. That's what tripping minds riffed on, and it became embedded in the emergent counter-culture.

since then, boomers have infected just about every level of culture and art with their individualistic poo poo, so several generations have grown up under the shadow of a revolution carried on the shoulders of a drug that can make you change your mind, and so the rebelliously minded in our midst will always be at risk of faling into a trap that's only gotten easier to fall into in the decades since.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Riot Bimbo posted:

psychedelics mute your ego

you must have never meet a wook

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

I downloaded Hillary’s 2021 novel “state of terror” from LibGenes and it had the sample chapter of that book followed by the entire text of David Icke’s latest :discourse:

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Futanari Damacy posted:

LSD was created in a government lab as part of an attempt to make the ultimate super soldier who could function without sleep.

:wtc: