Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

A couple of questions about the Death/Dream relationship I've been wondering since I finished the season last night. Maybe some goon has some insight.

Why didn't Death tell Dream about the Corinthian or at least where he is during the bring your brother to work episode? Doesn't she end up shuffling all Rinth's victims off their mortal coil when he's done with them?

When Dream laments about his kingdom falling apart when he was gone, Death even asks Dream if it ever occurred that she'd be worried about him and tells him he could have called her while he was trapped. Why didn't Death do something about Dream being a prisoner when she came to pick up Roderick Burgess after his son slammed his head against the glass bubble?

Anyway, show was dope. I really hope they keep making it.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AndyElusive posted:

When Dream laments about his kingdom falling apart when he was gone, Death even asks Dream if it ever occurred that she'd be worried about him and tells him he could have called her while he was trapped. Why didn't Death do something about Dream being a prisoner when she came to pick up Roderick Burgess after his son slammed his head against the glass bubble?
Dream would just be sulky and angry about her showing up and helping unasked instead, because he is a proud rear end in a top hat who is the cause of a lot of his problems, and Death knows that.

Also because Death wasn't really fleshed out as much when the Burgess stuff was written.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Still, Death could have stopped by the Dreaming , fed the fish, let Lucienne know Dream was alive, etc.

I think. Pretty sure they can come through when holding the sigil, and permission is solely about politeness, and that closing the domain completely requires an overt act, not just absence.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

AndyElusive posted:

A couple of questions about the Death/Dream relationship I've been wondering since I finished the season last night. Maybe some goon has some insight.

Why didn't Death tell Dream about the Corinthian or at least where he is during the bring your brother to work episode? Doesn't she end up shuffling all Rinth's victims off their mortal coil when he's done with them?

The Corinthian killing people isn't really her business/it's beneath her concern, she might personally disapprove of his actions (and that's a load-bearing might) but his bodycount is what, low 3 figures at the absolute most? From her perspective he may as well be a human serial killer. The Corinthian is no threat at all to a fully powered-up Dream, so by the time she's in a position to tell him he's more than capable of handling it at his discretion.

Re: the second question, Death was worried, but the situation wasn't "life threatening," so respecting Morpheus' privacy was still a more pressing concern. The Endless mostly try to keep out of each others' business (at least, they're supposed to. Desire/Despair's games are held in contempt by Destiny/Death/Dream). My personal theory is that if Dream's imprisonment had started to have escalating effects on reality (more than just a few million people debilitated by a mysterious disease) she (or other powers) would have intervened, but it just wasn't serious enough to butt into Dream's personal affairs.

Dream's whole arc is opening himself up to change/not being so stuck-up, so it's important he's introduced as someone who would pridefully refuse to ask for help.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 16, 2022

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AndyElusive posted:

Anyway, show was dope. I really hope they keep making it.

She does say she doesn't visit everyone.
And she is to carry them over only, she doesn't really matter about the method it was done.
She never seems to watch them dying or being killed.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Bussamove posted:

Just had a conversation with a friend who complained Sturridge played Dream “too emo-goth” and I had to ask if he had ever actually seen basically any panel of the comic. :psyduck:

Well? Had they?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

happyhippy posted:

She does say she doesn't visit everyone.
And she is to carry them over only, she doesn't really matter about the method it was done.
She never seems to watch them dying or being killed.

I don't remember this line but if she says that in the show it's directly conflicting the comic (or generally what I thought Death was about). It's kind of a thing that Death says everyone meets her twice in their life.

Comic reference from #20 (Facade)

As to why she didn't help Dream, well, I'm guessing he isn't kinda big on admitting defeat or asking for help. If she did interfere without asking then he'd taken it even more badly.

e: A sidenote about issue #20:

It has one of the funniest Death lines in the series, where she tells Rainie that Ra keeps making Metamorphae to fight the never-ending battle against Apep, The Serpent that Never Dies.

"Dumb. I told him: 'The serpent that never dies is _dead_. I took her three thousand years ago! The never-ending battle ended...'"

It's yet another reminder in Sandman that gods are some of the dumbest beings around.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 17, 2022

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
I keep messing up aspects of Gaiman's Death and Pratchett's DEATH, so that had me confused as well. I think the Discworld's Death doesn't have to be present at every occasion, he just needs to visit a few key events each day to keep the momentum going.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dave Syndrome posted:

I keep messing up aspects of Gaiman's Death and Pratchett's DEATH, so that had me confused as well. I think the Discworld's Death doesn't have to be present at every occasion, he just needs to visit a few key events each day to keep the momentum going.

Correct. Discworld Death always comes in person for monarchs, witches and wizards. Other than that, he only makes about three or four direct collections a day and works out who he needs to collect using what is basically a big magical spreadsheet called the Nodes. Nobody knows exactly how his personal visits are selected, but it appears to work on the basis of narrative causality.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I did think "that sounds more like Pratchett's Death" when that line was on the show.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Snooze Cruise posted:

he looked like such a goober dork here, he was perfect in the role

Should have been Keanu

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This show was real good imo. I only really have a few complaints, and they're basically casting related. Firstly, Matthew was the wrong kind of cartoonish (as a counterexample of the right kind of cartoonish, look at Mark Hamill as Merv) and also his pep talk in the hell episode almost ruined a great scene. Secondly Rose's actress just... didn't click with me at all. None of her performances felt convincing to me, especially when placed alongside more compelling actors. The last arc was also not as interesting in general, because the most interesting characters got less focus and Rose was the centre for a lot of it. We still got some great stuff though, like Lucienne's whole deal and Fiddler's Green and Gault are all great.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I think Tom Sturridge is great in the role.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Tom Sturridge has got the look pretty dang well but becomes perfect the moment he opens his mouth. His voice sounds like he's talking in black speech bubbles.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

TeaJay posted:

I don't remember this line but if she says that in the show it's directly conflicting the comic (or generally what I thought Death was about). It's kind of a thing that Death says everyone meets her twice in their life.

Comic reference from #20 (Facade)

As to why she didn't help Dream, well, I'm guessing he isn't kinda big on admitting defeat or asking for help. If she did interfere without asking then he'd taken it even more badly.

e: A sidenote about issue #20:

It has one of the funniest Death lines in the series, where she tells Rainie that Ra keeps making Metamorphae to fight the never-ending battle against Apep, The Serpent that Never Dies.

"Dumb. I told him: 'The serpent that never dies is _dead_. I took her three thousand years ago! The never-ending battle ended...'"

It's yet another reminder in Sandman that gods are some of the dumbest beings around.

After she mentions she doesn't show up for everyone, she immediately mentions Mad Hettie and Hob, who are both essentially immortal, so I think that's what she's referring to that there are people she wont' collect, be it by choice (like Hob) or other circumstances (like Hettie) rather than her stating she doesn't show up for everyone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Sturridge's voice initially struck me as a bit "Christian Bale Batman" but it's grown on me and I've started to hear it in my head reading the comics. Slightly unfortunately, the effect extends to Matthew, whose comics dialogue is a lot more contemplative.

He still looks like Bernard Black though. Last episode I couldn't keep a straight face.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wrote an article and interviewed Dave Syndrome about his rad as gently caress Sandman game: https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/inside-the-secret-the-sandman-video-game-nobody-has-ever-heard-of/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh dang, Wadjet Eye were on that too? That's a shame that that never happened.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Samovar posted:

Well? Had they?

He claims to have read the entire thing, his takes on media are sometimes just… unique and precious.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Episode 8 now, didn't like it. Everything's becoming too compressed and reduced again, and additionally the way they set up this plot feels like they really did turn Sandman into a police procedural. Lyta's had it the worst I think, her role in the story is just whatever's needed at the moment without any particular coherence. And there is entirely too little Gilbert.

e: ooh, but for what it was, Dream was pretty good in this one and went beyond "calmly brooding", as he should every so often. And Hal is pretty great too.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 17, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sturridge's voice initially struck me as a bit "Christian Bale Batman"

Yes me too exactly this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1559905770266845188?t=fNw1tX0jqNYRxfmLGsP5FQ&s=19

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

lol, burned!!

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

I wrote an article and interviewed Dave Syndrome about his rad as gently caress Sandman game: https://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/inside-the-secret-the-sandman-video-game-nobody-has-ever-heard-of/

You should definitely tweet this on out to Neil he'd probably love it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

That one is kind of on the show, I don't think they really made clear why Dream needs the mask. Actually, I can't remember any time in the comics where he used the mask for anything besides a symbol of office. Like, I get that it's made of the same primordial gods whose remains were formed into the gates of Horn & Ivory, and is thus magical in some manner. But there's never a "Oh no, if only I had my mask this obstacle could be overcome!" moment that I'm aware of.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Having not read the comic I thought that this show was pretty interesting. It’s idiosyncratic to say the least, and that’s probably good enough.

The CGI was real bad though. I kinda understand. They’re making an insanely VFX-heavy show on what looks like a relatively small budget. They jump through an endless number of locations and characters and props. They filmed all this during COVID. I assume this show is literally 90% CGI with a smidgen of practical effects.

By contrast I thought American Gods was gorgeous.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Actually, I can't remember any time in the comics where he used the mask for anything besides a symbol of office.

He wears it when he goes back to Hell in Season of Mists. They even make a point where Lucifer says "Take off that stupid helm and we'll talk" and Dream only does so after Lucifer promises he won't harm him in any way. And even then he's sweating like crazy after taking the helm off. So it's pretty much what he counted on would protect him from Lucifer, and it must have some serious power.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 17, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
At some point it is mentioned that the helm was crafted from spine of a dead god.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

In fairness it looks a hell of a lot like a spine in the show. I like it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

That one is kind of on the show, I don't think they really made clear why Dream needs the mask. Actually, I can't remember any time in the comics where he used the mask for anything besides a symbol of office. Like, I get that it's made of the same primordial gods whose remains were formed into the gates of Horn & Ivory, and is thus magical in some manner. But there's never a "Oh no, if only I had my mask this obstacle could be overcome!" moment that I'm aware of.

Yeah but being a symbol of his office is inherently powerful, at least in the logic of dreams. It makes him more...Dream.

Like the metaphysical difference between meeting the pope dressed like a guy and the pope dressed in all the regalia. If he talks about something religious dressed as a guy, it's just...a guy giving his opinion, vs the Pope speaking with all the weight of his office. When your purview is dreams and the alteration of reality, that makes a difference.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sturridge's voice initially struck me as a bit "Christian Bale Batman" but it's grown on me and I've started to hear it in my head reading the comics. Slightly unfortunately, the effect extends to Matthew, whose comics dialogue is a lot more contemplative.

I thought his voice was more Benedict Cumberbatch-like initially. I honestly didn't think it was even Sturridge's real voice and that it was modulated to a lower pitch or something at first.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A lot of older bookworm ladies have been asking me about Neil Gaiman's books at the library since the show started. One lady reserved the first volume, and said she thinks Gwendoline Christie would be a great Death. I told her I wouldn't spoil anything :3:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Vegetable posted:

Having not read the comic I thought that this show was pretty interesting. It’s idiosyncratic to say the least, and that’s probably good enough.

The CGI was real bad though. I kinda understand. They’re making an insanely VFX-heavy show on what looks like a relatively small budget. They jump through an endless number of locations and characters and props. They filmed all this during COVID. I assume this show is literally 90% CGI with a smidgen of practical effects.

By contrast I thought American Gods was gorgeous.

Yeah there's a ton of CGI and it looks like they didn't quite have a budget for all of it.

Not to poo poo on the artists, I'm sure they didn't get enough time or resources to do movie-level stuff.

There's some good stuff and there's some bad stuff.

It's tough though, because some stuff is so obviously dream-y that your brain has no reference for what would make it look real.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Everything being so dreamy makes the CG not matter too. I didn't care about this as much as Preys weird looking bear because it's mostly not supposed to be real kife and doesn't take me out of it (still liked Prey!)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Dream wears his helm every time he expects a fight. There's also a bit in the comics where he visits Delirium's realm to apologise and she says she could drive him mad because he isn't wearing his helm. But we never see him use it for protection, because apart from against Dee he never ends up fighting.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

TeaJay posted:

He wears it when he goes back to Hell in Season of Mists. They even make a point where Lucifer says "Take off that stupid helm and we'll talk" and Dream only does so after Lucifer promises he won't harm him in any way. And even then he's sweating like crazy after taking the helm off. So it's pretty much what he counted on would protect him from Lucifer, and it must have some serious power.

I always got the impression that, helm or no, generally (and particularly inside of Hell) Lucifer is on a whole other power level than Dream. The helm (and the implication that Dream would even intend to fight him) was more offensive than anything else, like threatening an Abrams tank with a pistol. However, I've read the Lucifer series a few times, so my idea of his actual strength may not be supported in the text of The Sandman.

Jedit posted:

Dream wears his helm every time he expects a fight. There's also a bit in the comics where he visits Delirium's realm to apologise and she says she could drive him mad because he isn't wearing his helm. But we never see him use it for protection, because apart from against Dee he never ends up fighting.

I had forgotten this part, good point. Still, with regard to the original post, the show hasn't really shown/explained anything about it (relative to the sand/ruby, which get examples of their power onscreen).

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 18, 2022

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Dream wore the helmet because it looked dope AF until some demon got his crappy fingerprints all over it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liked that when Matthew asked Dream if Lucifer was more powerful, Dream made absolutely no bones about stating that he wasn't even remotely anywhere in the same league as Lucifer.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I just finished the final episode and spotted what I think was a pretty cool detail. The very last shot of the demons chanting Lucifer looks like they made a hell version of St. Peter’s basilica that the crowd is gathered in front of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Sturridge's voice initially struck me as a bit "Christian Bale Batman"

According to Gaiman, he was there on Tom's first day of shooting and had to tell him to stop being Batman, so I imagine it was a lot worse lol