Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
X-Cutionar's Song is an X-Men/X-Force crossover that happens to have some X-Factor members in it. It's probably a fun read if you were following that era of those two books, but I read it while working through Claremont and so didn't care much for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think it’s that nobody from the team appears on either of those covers.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I think the bigger problem is that it doesn't contain an appearance from 1993 Uncanny Annual breakout star X-Cutioner

(unless it does, I didn't research this joke very thoroughly)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I think the bigger problem is that it doesn't contain an appearance from 1993 Uncanny Annual breakout star X-Cutioner

No, you're quite right. It's all about Stryfe. It irritated me too as a youth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
X-Cutioner's Song was published in the summer/autumn of 1992, and the character of X-Cutioner came along a year later. So I assume the title of the crossover inspired someone in the X-Office to create the character when the "introduce a new character in every annual so we can pack in a rookie card" edict came down.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What do we think X-Cutioner's karaoke song is? Do we think he can do "Psycho Killer"?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

X Gon' Give It To Ya

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Bizarrely it's Bohemian Rhapsody, including the harmonies

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
X-Cutioner's Song was my first big crossover, so 10-11 year old me took it very seriously.

Re-reading it a couple years ago, my main thought was, "This is pretty dumb." Although I still love Kamikaze's death in X-Factor 85.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Carl the X-Cutioner is an all time classic, but the real star of the ‘93 annuals was Bantam over in Captain America.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
DC and Marvel both used their 1993 annuals to introduce a bunch of great new characters. To this day we enjoy the adventures of Jamm, Prism and Annex.

X-Cutioners Song is a pretty average crossover but I there seems to be a huge amount of nostalgia for it amongst people in there late 30s/early 40s. I think it’s because it’s the first x-crossover after the 1991 overhaul.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

DC and Marvel both used their 1993 annuals to introduce a bunch of great new characters. To this day we enjoy the adventures of Jamm, Prism and Annex.

X-Cutioners Song is a pretty average crossover but I there seems to be a huge amount of nostalgia for it amongst people in there late 30s/early 40s. I think it’s because it’s the first x-crossover after the 1991 overhaul.

The mystery about the X-Traitor that was introduced by Bishop was in high swing at that time. It fed a lot off that and Cable's popularity and mystery in general. And it jumpstarted the whole Legacy Virus plot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Y'all are missing the most important part of X-Cutioner's Song: the epilogue issue of Uncanny where Jubilee takes Prof X rollerblading

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Y'all are missing the most important part of X-Cutioner's Song: the epilogue issue of Uncanny where Jubilee takes Prof X rollerblading

Wasn't it called something extremely dramatic like SONG'S END?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

For some reason I really love this design. Probably doesn't hurt that that piece is by Jason Pearson.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

That "some reason" is because the design bangs! I've talked about the art in that issue in BSS before, it's great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pretty sure I had a toy of X-Cutioner as a kid even though I'd never read a book with him in it at the time. The only reason I had it was because it looked cool. I think it had a removable mask.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Rhyno posted:

For some reason I really love this design. Probably doesn't hurt that that piece is by Jason Pearson.

That entire annual is beautiful. I imagine that design might be a disaster in the wrong hands but fortunately I mostly associate with that one Pearson annual and a few gorgeous Steve Skroce issues of the late 90s Nicieza Gambit solo.

I did recently(ish) reread X-Cutioner's Song as part of my ill-advised reread of every x-book, and you know, in the context of the time it reads pretty well. The immediate post-Claremont period is rough, and XCS feels like the office, gutted even further by the Image exodus, trying to just demonstrate that they can tell a story. And they do, with the kinds of Claremontian melodrama and intrigue and character beats that had been lacking since X-Men #3. It's not a great story and it's certainly not a tidy story but it's a story that actually tries to engage with something in the reader and in 1993 that is a refreshing thing.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

There is something very Cerebus about this pose. The mask makes the nose look long, the leg looks very cylindrical.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

There is something very Cerebus about this pose. The mask makes the nose look long, the leg looks very cylindrical.

I THOUGHT THE SAME drat THING!!! The mask makes him look like an angry bird, i love it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad it's only 13 issues, after Secret Wars II 40 odd issue run I don't think I can take a crossover that big again, just so much of nothing happens.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bessantj posted:

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad it's only 13 issues, after Secret Wars II 40 odd issue run I don't think I can take a crossover that big again, just so much of nothing happens.

I have very bad news for you about every crossover of the 21st century.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I've started reading DC crossovers with my friends and we excited/scared about our future!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Is X-Cutioner still around, technically speaking?

(I like to think if Vulpes had his druthers we'd see X-Cutioner versus Bats the Ghost Dog and God bless him for it.)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Is X-Cutioner still around, technically speaking?

(I like to think if Vulpes had his druthers we'd see X-Cutioner versus Bats the Ghost Dog and God bless him for it.)

He was in Marauders a year or two ago but it might have been a different guy with the same name/costume.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

How Wonderful! posted:

He was in Marauders a year or two ago but it might have been a different guy with the same name/costume.

He was? I have no memory of that and Marauders was my favorite of the first batch of Krakoa era comics.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He was? I have no memory of that and Marauders was my favorite of the first batch of Krakoa era comics.

Yeah he's in #5 and #6. It's the little arc where he's teamed up with the Hatemonger and Donald Pierce is wearing this horrible suit-jacket with transparent sleeves.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

That "some reason" is because the design bangs! I've talked about the art in that issue in BSS before, it's great.

I may have missed it, I was absent for several months and only sort of recently returned to posting.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I think I saw some crossover called King in Black (could be wrong) had 60-odd issues so I'm not looking forward to it but that's very much a future me's problem.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A lot of crossovers have time in issues you absolutely don't need to read if you're just reading the crossover.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Rhyno posted:

I may have missed it, I was absent for several months and only sort of recently returned to posting.

Oh no, I only mentioned it because I realized I was about to retread the same ground from a year or so all over again.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You know how DC (and Marvel and Image) often issue $1 reprints of key issues? I've never paid any attention to those, since I figure they are aimed at newer readers, and I try to avoid buying single issues anyway. But especially with the new Sandman show out, does anyone know if they ever released a cheap reprint of Sandman #8, "The Sound of Her Wings" (the story that introduces Death)?

I have decided to sell my Sandman TPBs, but I'd kind of like to own a copy, and even my wife has expressed interest in reading that story (and only that story).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You know how DC (and Marvel and Image) often issue $1 reprints of key issues? I've never paid any attention to those, since I figure they are aimed at newer readers, and I try to avoid buying single issues anyway. But especially with the new Sandman show out, does anyone know if they ever released a cheap reprint of Sandman #8, "The Sound of Her Wings" (the story that introduces Death)?

I have decided to sell my Sandman TPBs, but I'd kind of like to own a copy, and even my wife has expressed interest in reading that story (and only that story).

Looks like there was an "Essential Vertigo" release in 1997 you can get pretty cheap.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Looks like there was an "Essential Vertigo" release in 1997 you can get pretty cheap.

Thank you! That's just what I want.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
Dunno if there's a better thread to ask this, but here goes: I own the first two volumes of Absolute Sandman and would love to buy 3 and 4, but presumably thanks to the Netflix series they are listed as out of print in every place that I checked. How often do these get reprints? If it's going to take years I guess I need to buy the non-absolute collected books that are fortunately much cheaper, but I would love to have everything in same format.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's no set schedule for Absolute editions coming back in print but DC are loving idiots if they aren't printing more right this minute. Sandman has been something that always sells well even before the Netflix series.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

IIRC they're doing some new omnibuses for Sandman right now so might be a bit before the redo Absolutes

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
they've been out of print for awhile, too. Amazon had new in stock a little before Christmas, as i recall, but shortly after that they were resellers only so I went with individual trades. easier to carry around, at least

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

A bit late to the discussion: the Sandman deluxe editions (which have a really ugly printed-on Audible 'sticker' on the cover :argh:) are the only hardcover releases of the core The Sandman comics that are currently in print. The leatherbound omnibuses got new print runs not too long ago, but it seems like those are OoP now too. I fear that if you're looking to complete your Absolute collection of The Sandman you're going to be waiting for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JordanKai posted:

A bit late to the discussion: the Sandman deluxe editions (which have a really ugly printed-on Audible 'sticker' on the cover :argh:) are the only hardcover releases of the core The Sandman comics that are currently in print. The leatherbound omnibuses got new print runs not too long ago, but it seems like those are OoP now too. I fear that if you're looking to complete your Absolute collection of The Sandman you're going to be waiting for a long time.

DC has a weird habit of letting their classics run out of print. Sure, you can get whatever Batman story from five years ago you want but you can’t get the physical version of New Teen Titans volume 1, an absolute classic