Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

They announced the game has sold 2.5M copies a few weeks ago, I don't think I mentioned it.

New update. This one is small, just the typical bug fixes, balance, etc
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3376029156917390054

The most striking changes are:

-They are changing the Ichthyosaurus Offspring boss a bit
-New enemy modifier: "Cloning: When a Cloning monster is eliminated, 2 Cloned normal monsters will spawn"
-Elemental effect changes:
Inflicting Shock Effect will no longer deal extra damage to random nearby enemies
Combustion Effect Adjustment: Inflicting Combustion Effect deals 200% DMG to the target, and deals 100% DMG to the nearby enemies with 5m. Combustion Effect can be triggered once for every 0.12s
Miasma Effect is single target damage now

Also they are teasing the DLC:

That's the very tanky gold lizard being killed in one shot by a meteor? Promising!

And that's totally Serenade from Dead Cells, lol (then again a living, flying sword is a concept stolen from China so in a way they are recovering it)

--A summary of what the game has right now:
6 heroes, each with different base stats, unique primary & secondary skill + 2 dlc
18 hero ascensions (most with 2 extra levels with upgrades)
5 hero talents (unique metaprogression to buy)

11 difficulty levels
161 scrolls
Unlocked on 4th difficulty and above:
-42 spiritual blessings
-144 enhanced scrolls

-27 challenge events
-6 elemental effects

48 weapons + 4 dlc
-93 general weapon inscriptions
-73 exclusive unique inscriptions

47 normal enemies, divided in four groups for the four different environments.
16 elite enemies
7 bosses
18 enemy modifiers

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I bought this a few weeks ago during the Steam sale and was surprised by how much I ended up liking it. Granted, I am usually a sucker for randomised run-based titles, but once I got a decent handle on the game it really clicked.

It is a little unfortunate that spiritual blessings and the like are locked behind Reincarnation difficulty, considering how Nightmare in particular can be a bit of a bitch at times. Glad I stuck it out, though, because some of those blessings are pretty ridiculous in the best possible way.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Are there any guides out there for builds in reincarnation difficulty, preferably non-video? Lately in multiplayer everyone else is doing approximately 100x more damage than me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

If you want to check my posts in this thread I think I've done a post or two on general builds as well as those involving spiritual blessing. All else fails you can always just take a look at what the spiritual blessings do on the wiki page and have a think about what ascension builds would work.

I usually go for ability builds like Nuclear 'Nade Dog, Slap Bird, and Dakka Sword Bunny. Admittedly the Bunny build is more of a hybrid but it gets pretty silly regardless.

Also last patch Slap Bird got hella buffed because now Easy Kill now works with any slap kills you get before you acquire it which is very very good.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Nade dog is beastly, the nuclear spiritual blessing makes it trivial, but even without it you can cheese through with a nade build

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Aquila posted:

Are there any guides out there for builds in reincarnation difficulty, preferably non-video? Lately in multiplayer everyone else is doing approximately 100x more damage than me.

sorry that it's video, but imo this dude's guides are pretty good, and better than most videos in that if you have a decent grasp of the character you can generally read/interpret the tier lists without needing to watch the whole video (watching specific parts if you're curious why a particular skill is/isn't recommended)

and unlike most things tier lists are also probably the best way to approach "builds" for this game since your options in any given run are always different and the value of certain options is highly contextual (and the breadth of your meaningful choices varies quite a bit character to character)

LGD fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 8, 2022

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah, asking for advice on builds in this game is hard because the best choice at any given moment changes rapidly based on context. The amount of times I've passed up on my usual must takes because I desperately needed something else or I'd die is not small.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Aug 9, 2022

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xouO_PXYiUY

First DLC in Aug 29th. 2 new heroes + 4 new weapons, no new areas, so I hope it won't be expensive. Also a new mode? in a free update.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Day one, probably. Monkey looks like Goku, and the female doesn't have a weird rear end face this time, so that's good.

Hope they keep it cheap, game has always been mad undervalued for what you get, but IMO that's a strength to the game and they should keep using it. Online has always been barren it would be better for them to sell more for less vs sell less for more.

Also how do DLC weapons work? If I drop my gun for my brother, could he pick it up? Probably not I'm going to guess. DLC is going to be weird if there becomes a lot of them and it fragments the player-base that don't buy them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

No new maps is a huge bummer to me, my least favorite thing about the game is the lack of biomes and the super mediocre first stage

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

drat, looks like that's a fox. I thought it was a squirrel at first glance and was gonna applaud them for some surprising creativity. They look like fun at least, if the dlc is only like 5 or 10$ I'll probably drop the money for it and take them through Reincarnation a bunch of times.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Evil Kit posted:

drat, looks like that's a fox. I thought it was a squirrel at first glance and was gonna applaud them for some surprising creativity. They look like fun at least, if the dlc is only like 5 or 10$ I'll probably drop the money for it and take them through Reincarnation a bunch of times.

Its a fire fox

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fishstick posted:

Its a fire fox

I noticed lol.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Replaying some more R8 to un-rust before DLC release I really, really hope the DLC doesnt contain a lot of those platform/boulder levels. They are absolutely awful to play with any kind of lag and for me at least completely kill the pacing when you have to sit there trying to make jumps with your +400% movement speed. I just straight up nope out of the acid/fire jumping one in the Desert, its not worth the frustration.

The recent updates to miasma / explosion and the new mutators are fun though!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I dunno, I'm on the opposite end. The jumping puzzles are super easy and basically a free triple chest to help refine your build. I even prefer more move speed because it means I need to dash less on the hard parkour jumps.

Lag I imagine makes them way worse though.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/GunfireReborn/status/1564145828859678723

Only like 5bux, too

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DLC is out (20% off), so it's around 4,5€ right now. The base game is 30% off and the game+dlc is 35% off, so now it's a good time to buy it.

Monkey abilities

Firefox abilities

More details on the changelog
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3246553204896812141

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Daztek posted:

Only like 5bux, too
:discourse:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Anyone tried this new mode yet? It sounds interesting but i'm only half-understanding a lot of their descriptions

New Game Mode (Available in Reincarnation)
In this update, a new game mode is added into the game – Bizarre Dream. In Bizarre Dream, you can have various game experiences by enabling different game options. There are 2 options for now:
Spiritual Link: Affected by the Spiritual Aura, Occult Scrolls, Weapons and Ascensions will offer additional buffs in a specific combination.
Mysterious Jokul: In this mode, the Hyperborean Jokul is more dangerous. To confront the rigorous challenge ahead, all Peddlers and Phantom Peddlers are well-stocked, and you can refresh once for free. Spiritual Remnant in Jokul is awake as well. You can exchange the Spirit Blessing once.

Only making stage 4 harder seems weird?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Anyone tried this new mode yet? It sounds interesting but i'm only half-understanding a lot of their descriptions

New Game Mode (Available in Reincarnation)
In this update, a new game mode is added into the game – Bizarre Dream. In Bizarre Dream, you can have various game experiences by enabling different game options. There are 2 options for now:
Spiritual Link: Affected by the Spiritual Aura, Occult Scrolls, Weapons and Ascensions will offer additional buffs in a specific combination.
Mysterious Jokul: In this mode, the Hyperborean Jokul is more dangerous. To confront the rigorous challenge ahead, all Peddlers and Phantom Peddlers are well-stocked, and you can refresh once for free. Spiritual Remnant in Jokul is awake as well. You can exchange the Spirit Blessing once.

Only making stage 4 harder seems weird?

I haven't tried (on the job...) but it's harder stage 4 + free restock in shops + free change of Spirit Blessing.

Spiritual Link seems interesting. How the game indicates the correct 'specific combinations' ?

In any case, they way is structured, I think they will add more 'bizarre dreams' to select. They could pull some modifications from the Daily Challenges ignored by everyone.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Uh holy poo poo you guys they literally did it. They added the best QoL buff I've wanted forever.

[Glimmering]
Added the Full-Auto mode

[Prism]
Added the Full-Auto mode

Thank loving god lol. It was actively painful using these weapons.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Finally my dreams of a dual throwing dagger dog build will come without rapid onset of RSI

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Are there any improvements to character unlocks and progression? I want to buy this for some friends to play coop, but don't want them to be stuck behind dozens of hours of play to use all the characters and have the basic skill tree.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yes, and no. There's been a general increase on amount of souls you can get per run, but the talent tree was increased in size. Also, every new hero past Bird now requires you spend souls on them to unlock them to play, which is good and bad. Good, cause you don't need to invest heavily in the talent tree to get them, bad because it costs souls you could invest in the tree. IMO more good than bad.

I will say you can easily carry a crew through higher difficulties to get them off the ground faster, and that generally the game is fun enough even learning it on Normal that the grind isn't bad at all.

The most important thing is to not use souls for revives (especially in multiplayer), and to be able to at least beat the third area boss. If you do a full run and go through Jokul you'll get even more souls than you did before, but you sort of need to know how to make a busted build if you want to carry through it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I found the progression was quicker playing coop than alone, so if your plan is to play with your friends I don't think it will be that bad.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Like 80% of beating the game is game knowledge, understanding enemy kill priority, and boss patterns. The last 25% is the talent tree and weapon/scroll unlocks, and you really only need it anywhere close to maxed out for beating Nightmare the once so you can unlock Reincarnation difficulty.

Once you've unlocked Reincarnation you can just never look at Nightmare again. Reinc 1 is vastly easier cause of spiritual blessings and enhanced occult scrolls. Sure you need to use souls to actually buy the former, but they make it so much easier to get a busted building goin. You'll beat the game more often and make back your souls and then some.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Double posting to say I'm real glad they didn't pull another launch Bunny for the Fox's model.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Kinda sad that they give you everything upfront, I booted the game up for the first time since many month and it appears I have all scrolls, weapons, character, monsters/bosses, etc. all unlocked. Was hoping for some new stuff... like where's the carrot here. (achievement I guess...)

Still, 5 bucks for two characters that'll provide several runs each, cannot complain too much.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The new modes are something new at least, they seem designed to spice up Reincarnation even more which is great.

Got to play both characters in a few runs, they're both :discourse:. Monkey surprised me the most, instead of full on primary or secondary build I maxed out Concentrated Essence and had a Deafening Mortar that got up to level 40+ from the extra temporary weapon levels. Was just playing on Nightmare too to help a friend get the Reincarnation unlock, I just melted everything by the end (dual edge helped).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Evil Kit posted:

Got to play both characters in a few runs, they're both :discourse:. Monkey surprised me the most, instead of full on primary or secondary build I maxed out Concentrated Essence and had a Deafening Mortar that got up to level 40+ from the extra temporary weapon levels.

Literally me today, monkey is bonkers with those temp levels, which are not even really "temp" with how easy they are to keep active. I also like how he can go hog wild with pretty much any weapon, not being limited to some type of weapon.

Fox seems bad though, probably my least favorite character out of them all, I finally got a win on her after 3 failed attempts with good o' Slappy who made it happen for me, but it was just some boring fire build that I've done 100 times already on other characters when I needed those Lobster kills for that unlock, so it wasn't even a fun victory there. I dunno on her yet, her primary and secondary also seems really lackluster, I probably won't be playing her much TBH. I'll keep using the browser though.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

The new modes are something new at least, they seem designed to spice up Reincarnation even more which is great.

Got to play both characters in a few runs, they're both :discourse:. Monkey surprised me the most, instead of full on primary or secondary build I maxed out Concentrated Essence and had a Deafening Mortar that got up to level 40+ from the extra temporary weapon levels. Was just playing on Nightmare too to help a friend get the Reincarnation unlock, I just melted everything by the end (dual edge helped).

Launcher weapon types seem MVP for monkey when clearing trash, but when duoing we had a terrible time (on R8) trying to down some Armored Robust guy that literally took 5 minutes to get 25% of his armor gone despite both of us having corrosive weapons and otherwise just blazng thru enemies. Havent gotten to try Fox yet but monkey definitely seems like a very technical build in how many ways you can build up synergies

Also the shield rifle is very satisfying to use

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Re: Fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NApm9QXEeXU

:thunk: Hmm. Maybe I'll give her another go.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Im_Special posted:

Literally me today, monkey is bonkers with those temp levels, which are not even really "temp" with how easy they are to keep active. I also like how he can go hog wild with pretty much any weapon, not being limited to some type of weapon.

Fox seems bad though, probably my least favorite character out of them all, I finally got a win on her after 3 failed attempts with good o' Slappy who made it happen for me, but it was just some boring fire build that I've done 100 times already on other characters when I needed those Lobster kills for that unlock, so it wasn't even a fun victory there. I dunno on her yet, her primary and secondary also seems really lackluster, I probably won't be playing her much TBH. I'll keep using the browser though.

Fox leans in real hard to Spirit Fire, with her hero talents you need to be generating and dumping your energy so you can get stacks to make charging Spirit Fire super quick.

She's got amazing AOE, and I unironically think she's better off using a shock/corrosion weapon pair to leverage taking off shields/armor from enemies. Only got to do a run of each character though so gonna need to experiment more.

Im_Special posted:

Re: Fox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NApm9QXEeXU

:thunk: Hmm. Maybe I'll give her another go.

Yup that looks like more my experience lol

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wish they introduce a character that plays more differently than the others, instead of mainly being about different active skills. Like the bird with the recovering armor. I wish for example a character who is notably faster than the ones we have and with high base armor, but maybe he can only recover health at shoppers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is a fair bit of stuff that needs the nerf bat on the DLC. The monkey gaining 20 extra weapon levels, the fox two-shotting bosses with skills, the hexagon seems ridiculous too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz2L9LQmXHg

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

There is a fair bit of stuff that needs the nerf bat on the DLC. The monkey gaining 20 extra weapon levels, the fox two-shotting bosses with skills, the hexagon seems ridiculous too:

It's a coop pve (as opposed to pvp) game, why nerf? Let us have fun.

Turin Turambar posted:

I wish they introduce a character that plays more differently than the others, instead of mainly being about different active skills. Like the bird with the recovering armor. I wish for example a character who is notably faster than the ones we have and with high base armor, but maybe he can only recover health at shoppers.

See what I want is a non roguelite mode where I can set a build and and level and play through any combination the way I want without as much concern of losing the run to death.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Aquila posted:

It's a coop pve (as opposed to pvp) game, why nerf? Let us have fun.

Fun is having a challenging, interesting experience, that's why. Fun is not selecting always the same 3 weapons of 50 the moment you see them.

edit: I may have said that, but my first game with each new hero ended in defeat...

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 31, 2022

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
It's a causal PvE game, so they don't have to go all hard-nerd on balance and stuff unlike some competitive game, but they should keep all weapons on the same playing field because as Turin Turambar said, always gravitating towards the OP stuff and never touching any of the other things makes for bad uninterested games. I know there are guns I NEVER pick because I suck with them and it will basically just doom my run, so yeah...

You could just OP everything to make everything OP but then there's that number creep and the game will become piss easy, it has already gotten much easier IMO with the Spiritual Links addition, basically now /Oprah "You Get a Buff", "You Get a Buff", "You Get a Buff", "You Get a Buff"...

On a more serious note, they should sell a pay2win pay2convenience DLC that when you finish and room and leave to the next, it auto-scoops up all coins/souls so I don't have to go around and collect that poo poo. /I’d Buy That for a Dollar

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

Having used the hexagon just now, yes, yes it is. Turns the most annoying enemy into a super saiyan boost https://i.imgur.com/ENO0x9f.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just had a delicious game with the fox. Synergies everywhere. I did almost twice as much of total damage in the run than in my three previous successful runs.