Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Maybe? Outside of unpainted pewter, it's generally unsafe to leave any miniatures in direct sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Sab669 posted:

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/08/15/resin-and-magnet-safety/

:argh: Stupid children, eating magnets like a bunch of idiots, delaying the shipping of my dolls

But it's still okay to feed them the resin bits, right?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know much about resin toxicity other than what's been discussed ITT since Mk4 was announced, but I'm guessing the threat of death from eating magnets is more immediate than resin. You do not want those pinching intestines.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

PharmerBoy posted:

So looking more at the resin situation, I'm caught thinking about the UV curing. Does that mean unpainted models will over-cure over time from regular daylight?

They definitely will, so uh, don't do that if you can avoid it. I guess this is one way to encourage people to play it painted

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

They definitely will, so uh, don't do that if you can avoid it. I guess this is one way to encourage people to play it painted

I think if you apply a clearcoat (preferably one designed to block UV rays) to an unpainted resin 3D print, it should be OK. That said, you'd still have the same issues with heat from the sunlight potentially warping or deforming the print, so I'd still recommend not putting it somewhere where it'd be left in direct sunlight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sab669 posted:

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/08/15/resin-and-magnet-safety/

:argh: Stupid children, eating magnets like a bunch of idiots, delaying the shipping of my dolls

I wonder how far they got into the process before they found out shipping magnets has an extra layer of production.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Change in tune between blog posts makes it sound like . . . one, maybe two weeks ago.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Maybe they're just frantically going through everything they boxed already looking for uncured resin :tinfoil:

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
There's also:

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/product-safety-laws/safety-standards-bans/product-bans/small-high-powered-magnets

edit: wait yes obviously this is what that post was about i'm misreading

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What a pita. I can't help but wonder if (as they say) 3D printing lets them do any shape they want, it wouldn't have been easier to just sculpt some bayonet-style sockets and plugs for the arms. Not sure if that would work for the smaller heads though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

smug jeebus posted:

What a pita. I can't help but wonder if (as they say) 3D printing lets them do any shape they want, it wouldn't have been easier to just sculpt some bayonet-style sockets and plugs for the arms. Not sure if that would work for the smaller heads though.

Sockets and plugs would likely break. One time I experimented with using some magnets in that style which on many occasions ended up with the rod snapping off inside the donut.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

GW's "Easy To Build" models use sockets/pegs just fine.... Too fine, because it can be really hard to disassemble a model even if you didn't use glue. They clearly want you to be able to swap arms & heads about rather than buying 4 different Jack kits to build every option.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Sab669 posted:

They clearly want you to be able to swap arms & heads about rather than buying 4 different Jack kits to build every option.

Obviously they've learned nothing from GW's business model :v:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
Another take is that it's GW's current constant FOMO boxes taken to its logical conclusion. FOMO boxes every 3 months. Limited retail to no support thereafter. The permutations better be in the boxes you buy because it's going to be a PITA to get them thereafter.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 18, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Maneck posted:

Another take is that it's GW's current constant FOMO boxes taken to its logical conclusion. FOMO boxes every 3 months. Limited retail to no support thereafter. The permutations better be in the boxes you buy because it's going to be a PITA to get them thereafter.

I dunno man I really love waiting 6 months to get a single character after it's been released

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They also said they'll just print up whatever you order and ship it in a nondescript package.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/08/18/legacy-armies-in-prime-arena/

quote:

The complete list of Legacy armies making their way into the Prime Arena includes:

Blackclad Army (Circle)
Tharn Army (Circle)
Convergence Army
Crucible Guard Army
Bane Army (Cryx)
Blackfleet Army (Cryx)
Storm Knight Army (Cygnar)
Trencher Army (Cygnar)
Grymkin Army
Infernals Army
Man-O-War Army (Khador)
Winter Guard Army (Khador)
Blighted Nyss Army (Legion)
Blighted Ogrun Army (Legion)
Blindwater Army (Mercenary)
Cephalyx Army (Mercenary)
Farrow Army (Mercenary)
Privateer Army (Mercenary)
Rhulic Army (Mercenary)
Steelhead Army (Mercenary)
Exemplar Army (Protectorate)
Flameguard Army (Protectorate)
Dawnguard Army (Retribution)
Mage Hunter Army (Retribution)
Immortals Army (Skorne)
Praetorian Army (Skorne)
Northkin Army (Trollbloods)
United Kriels Army (Trollbloods)

Well my huge Minions collection isn't scrap, so that's a plus

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
So what’s the difference between an army and a theme list?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Stricter rules has been my takeaway. You have to choose an army and you can't take units without that army's keyword. The example they gave is not being able to take Trencher units if you're playing a Storm Lance army and vice versa.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Gato The Elder posted:

MK4 armies are basically just themes again, so not much.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
It is not a surprise that Cephalyx made the cut, but it is comforting that they did.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I wonder what happens to the other kinds of themes for armies based on that list - just thinking about Khador because I know them best, Greylords and Doomreavers don't really feel like they fit with either Winter Guard or Man-o-War and I have tons of those models. I wonder if they'll just kinda be thrown in with the others?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

No Llael, no dice. :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gato The Elder posted:

Theme bonuses don't exist anymore.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Ashcans posted:

No Llael, no dice. :colbert:

Yeah I'm wondering what's gonna happen with Gun Mages because thats the only part of cygnar I give a poo poo about any more.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Given that Lael is once again an independent nation it wouldn't surprise me to see them become an army down the road or a cadre of some sort, Gun Mages might also become a Cygnar cadre rather than a full army.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

Yeah my speculation is that they have combined previous themes to get to 2 per major faction - shove gun mages into gravediggers for example, and faithful masses into flameguard.

Otherwise there's no way they'd pick flameguard instead of faithful masses as one of the two themes, since FM was far more popular and actually had new releases right?

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
The Exemplars army from the beta docs is Major Theme: Exemplars and Minor Theme: Reclaimers. I think it's a fair guess that that's how all the Legacy MkIV armies will go. Extrapolating, I'd think they'd go with Faithful Masses as the minor theme for the Flameguard army, and save Paladins for some sort of cadre (especially given how independent from the Protectorate they always rather were).

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

xiw posted:

Yeah my speculation is that they have combined previous themes to get to 2 per major faction - shove gun mages into gravediggers for example, and faithful masses into flameguard.

Otherwise there's no way they'd pick flameguard instead of faithful masses as one of the two themes, since FM was far more popular and actually had new releases right?

They presumably won't want to produce the same model in the new process because that just leads to folks posting side by side comparisons forever until the sun implodes, so I'd guess they're going to want to avoid new stuff. They lost the newer molds anyway, and/or don't really have a way to produce from them anymore, right?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
maybe i am scum

counterspin posted:

They presumably won't want to produce the same model in the new process because that just leads to folks posting side by side comparisons forever until the sun implodes, so I'd guess they're going to want to avoid new stuff. They lost the newer molds anyway, and/or don't really have a way to produce from them anymore, right?

Oh I just meant that FM was very much a supported theme with relevant new releases during mk3, whereas flameguard didn't get a thing since 2015.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
I'm just thinking of my beloved Temple Flameguard, with whom I've had so many good times. The number of occasions that I've pinned down legendary warbeasts with nothing but a handful of lads with sticks... Bring tears to the Menite eye. I was mortified to not find them in the initial Protectorate demo army, so I'm just happy to see that my stick-happy helmetchums are going to be hitting the table again. Presumably commanded by my bestie Feora, in some form or other.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Really excited to get my Preview Box tomorrow. Anyone know if people have received theirs already? I'm on the East Coast so I imagine shipping here from WA is taking longer than customers on the West coast, but I haven't seen any pictures of models on Reddit, don't know where else people post. I assume there's gotta be a Discord but I don't like Discord.

Now the problem I have with every single miniature ever: I can't decide how to paint them :negative:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I'm sort of jealous, my order is still Awaiting Fulfillment, but I'm also glad because I don't know if I could manage another painting project at the moment,

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've actually been largely out of the hobby for a while. Sold all my paints and minis in like 2018 or 2019, wiped my hands and said I was done with the hobby... then during the pandemic I bought an airbrush and more models lol, then this year I have assembled exactly 1 model and painted 0. ADHD is a trip.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I airbrushed last week for the first time, myself, just priming and basecoating since I don't have a real air compressor but now I'm really struggling with the normal painting part; my paints aren't thinning well, my brush control is garbage, and not having a dedicated place to paint sucks. But I'm going to regroup and get them done enough to put on the table.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow
Nice sight:

https://twitter.com/PPS_Charles/status/1563256033388408842/photo/1

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I think a couple people near me got their preview boxes and I haven't heard any complaints so far

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My only complaint is that I dropped my Jackal torso while pouring the contents out of the bag and one of the spikey bits on it broke :staredog:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I should be getting my Cygnar starter on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

E: misread the thread, I'm dumb. Sorry

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 28, 2022