Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
it was actually synthesized as part of a program to develop the ultimate bicycle joyride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

cia funds infiltration of counterculture and cognitive awakening of its members with lsd

counterculture creates radical new modes of interpersonal relations on communes

communes all implode from toxic personalities going unchecked by the supposedly level and apolitical forum they used for conflict resolution

commune kids then get intelligence funding to become radical individualist cyberneticists and create an internet version of the perfect society the communes had fallen short of.

the cyberneticists instead end up creating the commodification of their old toxic commune forum experience, transferring the small group societal breakdown methodology they unwittingly pioneered to broader society where the drama of strangers can be sold as a drug more powerful in its mind altering capabilities than the lsd this whole American destabilization project started with.

wild

cybernetic capitalism harnesses our opposition and resistance to learn how to produce better subjects and grow more complex and capable. :nsa:

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran
I've been getting ketamine infusions for depression and it rules. You listen to some cool music, see some cool poo poo, then rest the rest of the day and feel slightly less depressed.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Zodium posted:

cybernetic capitalism harnesses our opposition and resistance to learn how to produce better subjects and grow more complex and capable. :nsa:

The metaverse is hot trash so far. I like how zuck wants to turn VR into meetings and shopping at wal mart like that's what people really want

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

The metaverse is hot trash so far. I like how zuck wants to turn VR into meetings and shopping at wal mart like that's what people really want

what does that have to do with my post

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Milosh posted:

I've been getting ketamine infusions for depression and it rules. You listen to some cool music, see some cool poo poo, then rest the rest of the day and feel slightly less depressed.

it's so so good

listened to a bunch of GSftEotW eps while getting infusions and it was pretty pleasant

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Milosh posted:

I love that psychiatric therapies will go to crazy lengths to try and make people slightly less depressed before doctors will even consider agitating for a society that isn’t mind cancer

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

therapists will literally lobotomize people instead of engaging in class struggle.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Zodium posted:

what does that have to do with my post

I just thought metaverse/VR universes had to do with "cybernetic capitalism"

Have people live out their fantasies online and forget about the real world, forget about the real world and how to improve it

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I just thought metaverse/VR universes had to do with "cybernetic capitalism"

Have people live out their fantasies online and forget about the real world, forget about the real world and how to improve it

I see. I suppose the metaverse would be more of a wholly digital capitalism, and it probably won't work because you need people to actually labor in the material world for there to be surplus value. cybernetic capitalism is about self-regulating governance machinery through systems implementing real-time feedback and second-order control while maximizing behavioral complexity, e.g., allowing a contained experimentation with psychedelic substances in order to both explore new modes of living that reinforce Capital's stability, as well as to identify and immunize Capital against modes of living that threaten its stability.

Real hurthling!'s post speaks to that dynamic: the modes of living that were threatening to Capital got culled, and the toxic modes that reinforcd its stability were developed into the internet. there was never a real chance that the communes and whatnot were going to threaten Capital.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zodium posted:

therapists will literally lobotomize people instead of engaging in class struggle.

if you are having a literal lobotomy performed by a therapist, you're in a questionable medical ethics situation

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Victor Vermis posted:

Yeah, hoo boy, AI created art that draws from unknown sources across an unfettered landscape of input. Sheeeeeesh.

So where did you go during your absence from the thread?

~~kicks footstool in your direction, twists swinging lightbulb on~~

I was auditioning to run jinx’s Twitter account when they swapped him during a ban

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

it's so so good

listened to a bunch of GSftEotW eps while getting infusions and it was pretty pleasant

I think u accidentally posted your pw there

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

VR itself is still a pretty terrible experience. Terrible framerates and input lag and low video resolution along with poo poo graphics that use flat lighting and low polygon counts are all immediately noticeable to people who are used to looking at good computer graphics, so pretty much everyone who plays video games. Even if you have the highest end machine it just looks like poo poo, so nobody but children seem to be into that for very long.

I assumed the metaverse stuff was some misdirect by Zuckerberg for something else, but no it really appears that he wants to make the company into a big VR chat product. Beyond idiotic, the whole company deserves to collapse under the weight of his stupidity.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Pryor on Fire posted:

VR itself is still a pretty terrible experience. Terrible framerates and input lag and low video resolution along with poo poo graphics that use flat lighting and low polygon counts are all immediately noticeable to people who are used to looking at good computer graphics, so pretty much everyone who plays video games. Even if you have the highest end machine it just looks like poo poo, so nobody but children seem to be into that for very long.

I assumed the metaverse stuff was some misdirect by Zuckerberg for something else, but no it really appears that he wants to make the company into a big VR chat product. Beyond idiotic, the whole company deserves to collapse under the weight of his stupidity.

A sibling of mine is a NYC based "metaverse lawyer" and they were trying to argue that no it wasn't just VR chat it was really about Blockchain type deregulatory apparatus

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pryor on Fire posted:

Most people who play video games play them on their phones, so Quest 2's graphics capabilities can mostly keep up (72/90/120Hz, 1-3 frames latent depending on whether you're running the local display or wireless connect to a PC). It has come a long way from DK1 or even Rift CV1 on 970 cards. Art direction is trickier for sure, though, and not all games are well-written. Switch games tend to be stylized graphics too in a lot of cases and they do OK, and even early on the stylized experiences were the ones that had the longest play value IIRC.

VR is plenty fun for a lot of people now (I've basically never had a guest who tried it and didn't want to keep playing, including my 70-year-old parents) but it needs to be more like essential if it were to carry a half-trillion-dollar company on its back. VR isn't the only play for Meta, though, or even the Metaverse really, so I don't think it has to bear that load all on its own. We won't be rid of Facebook that easily; VR/AR is still a small part of their operations and investment.

E: no doubt there will be some blockchain bullshit in there somewhere, yeah

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

much like the real value in a search engine is not delivering useful information to the users, but in collecting data about them, the real value in VR is capturing ecological user behavior for use in robotics, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think AR is more likely a source of meaningful user behaviour data. VR user behaviour is pretty much video game user behaviour.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Subjunctive posted:

Most people who play video games play them on their phones, so Quest 2's graphics capabilities can mostly keep up (72/90/120Hz, 1-3 frames latent depending on whether you're running the local display or wireless connect to a PC). It has come a long way from DK1 or even Rift CV1 on 970 cards. Art direction is trickier for sure, though, and not all games are well-written. Switch games tend to be stylized graphics too in a lot of cases and they do OK, and even early on the stylized experiences were the ones that had the longest play value IIRC.

VR is plenty fun for a lot of people now (I've basically never had a guest who tried it and didn't want to keep playing, including my 70-year-old parents) but it needs to be more like essential if it were to carry a half-trillion-dollar company on its back. VR isn't the only play for Meta, though, or even the Metaverse really, so I don't think it has to bear that load all on its own. We won't be rid of Facebook that easily; VR/AR is still a small part of their operations and investment.

E: no doubt there will be some blockchain bullshit in there somewhere, yeah

If you're immediately buying the newest headset and upgrading your PC every six months for tech demos to people new to VR then that's pretty much the ideal use case for VR. Even then you have to compare it to phone graphics and claim that the awful switch resolution looks good because it's "stylized"? The switch chugs below 10fps often and looks like garbage at 720, I doubt VR improves the experience much.

I spent $4K and have a nauseating platform that compares favorably to phone gaming. lol

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
have you actually played anything in VR?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Not on switch but yeah I've tried all the steam games people recommend.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

I think AR is more likely a source of meaningful user behaviour data. VR user behaviour is pretty much video game user behaviour.

don't scoff at "video game user behavior"; the ability to collect data about user behavior for arbitrary situations with different physics or nonexistent situations is a very powerful methodological tool for behavioral science. for example, it would be difficult to collect data about how people behave if they had six arms outside a VR context, because the real world is built to need two arms only. or see, for example, this personal favorite that used simulated perturbation of movement to empirically test different theories of how people catch balls in the air, which under normal conditions would be relatively difficult to test.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you're immediately buying the newest headset and upgrading your PC every six months for tech demos to people new to VR then that's pretty much the ideal use case for VR.

Nah, I bought a Quest 2 for $400 a while back and it's all I use, standalone. I have a CV1 somewhere as a souvenir, but I don't use it, and I gave my Vive to another Goon. When my kids' friends come over they'd rather play on the Quest than do Fortnite or Roblox, which I understand to be pretty successful franchises. If you think the Switch is an awful platform for games, though, then I expect we're just not going to agree on much about what it means for an entertainment product to be successful.

The controls are a lot of it, I think; good motion controls on PC or console could be a lot of fun too, but head-tracking is hard to beat as an interface gimmick.

If you spent 4 grand on a VR setup and can't find anything that's comfortable then either you super, 1%-worst sensitive like the first CEO of Oculus, or something is terribly wrong and you should ask for configuration help in a thread or something. You should be able to stay under 20ms of MTP consistently with a wired headset, even before timewarp/spacewarp helps.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zodium posted:

don't scoff at "video game user behavior"; the ability to collect data about user behavior for arbitrary situations with different physics or nonexistent situations is a very powerful methodological tool for behavioral science. for example, it would be difficult to collect data about how people behave if they had six arms outside a VR context. or see, for example, this personal favorite that used simulated perturbation of movement to empirically test different theories of how people catch balls in the air, which under normal conditions would be relatively difficult to test.

oh I know, we learned a lot of interesting things about human sensory systems when we were building the Rift and trying to figure out the optics and tracking and prediction and so forth. a lot of that you can do with flat video though, you just need the body controllers. might as well use VR if it's available, but if that's the catching experiment I'm thinking of the prediction happens when the ball is so far away that there's basically no stereoscopic element to the viewed scene. In 2009 VR setups' resolutions it might literally be sub-pixel.

(I think someone recreated that experiment as part of testing different warp/prediction strategies, actually. it's awfully familiar.)

I don't think Meta is going to try to add a trillion in market cap off of insights in perceptual science, though.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my ex had playstation vr, and two oculus devices. one was an economy thing that sucked for 99% of anything you'd wanna do, but the other two were a recent-ish model thing that was fine, had fine resolution and minimal input lag

as an experience I guess it was fine, but something skeeves me about vr and the sorts that are into it, and it gives me the wrong kind of cyberpunk vibes.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

oh I know, we learned a lot of interesting things about human sensory systems when we were building the Rift and trying to figure out the optics and tracking and prediction and so forth. a lot of that you can do with flat video though, you just need the body controllers. might as well use VR if it's available, but if that's the catching experiment I'm thinking of the prediction happens when the ball is so far away that there's basically no stereoscopic element to the viewed scene. In 2009 VR setups' resolutions it might literally be sub-pixel.

(I think someone recreated that experiment as part of testing different warp/prediction strategies, actually. it's awfully familiar.)

I don't think Meta is going to try to add a trillion in market cap off of insights in perceptual science, though.

if meta can establish a pseudo-monopoly on identifying ecological variables the way google did with technical information or facebook did with interpersonal information, that's easily a trillion dollars worth of robotics. AR seems like more of a dead end to me.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
idk half-life Alex, il-2, DCS look pretty good in VR on a reverb. I suspect a lot of game devs develop(ed) for lower resolution and lower end hardware, so no point in making detailed environments.

wonder if VR has applications in therapy

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Corky Romanovsky posted:

my public elementary school science teacher buddy uses it as a teaching aid and reward system and has some pretty heartwarming tales about permanently disabled children having extremely positive experiences with it

i love him and im proud

the idea of it being used in a therapeutic settings sounds like it would get the biofeedback quacks hot and bothered

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Zodium posted:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

idk half-life Alex, il-2, DCS look pretty good in VR on a reverb. I suspect a lot of game devs develop(ed) for lower resolution and lower end hardware, so no point in making detailed environments.

It's only a paper moon

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Corky Romanovsky posted:

yeah, there are people using it for controlled exposure therapy for phobias and social anxiety, I believe. not quite therapeutic but there's a company that uses VR for public speaking training

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

vr is perfect for therapy because the founding, development, research, and application of both were exclusively done by and for wealthy white children

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

The Saucer Hovers posted:

vr is perfect for therapy because the founding, development, research, and application of both were exclusively done by and for wealthy white children

very good. it'll be fully compatible with our psychological and psychiatric theories and interventions.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
i always assumed that the cia found that lsd and other psychedelics helped some people resist coercive influence and this is one reason they are not legal

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Corky Romanovsky posted:

mcluhanism intensifies

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

War and Pieces posted:

A sibling of mine is a NYC based "metaverse lawyer" and they were trying to argue that no it wasn't just VR chat it was really about Blockchain type deregulatory apparatus

Zuck got in trouble or stopped being useful or something. He's out of the club. It's this

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

zuck was never in the club he just managed to be the highest paid state department shill of all time

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the elite locked themselves out of the club with the keys inside 20 years ago, and now they can't get back in.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Victorian Holocausts might not be Epstein material, but I am finding it extremely relevant to today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

zuck was never in the club he just managed to be the highest paid state department shill of all time

he's the frontman for the rebranded TIA project, which was run by Iran Contra personality John Negroponte lol