Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah i think they just stackoverflow everything but iunno it's all greek to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i say swears online posted:

yeah i think they just stackoverflow everything but iunno it's all greek to me

stackoverflow is pretty good yeah but there's also being able to quickly check if the way you're doing something won't screw with someone else's poo poo

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

i have programmer friends and some of them really miss being in an office around other people. they're the kind of people that really need social interaction and they were absolutely miserable during covid.

Why would anyone who actually needs social interaction become a computer janitor. Completely counterintuitive

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

crepeface posted:

really? coding on large complex projects requires so much collaboration!

just get on a teams call

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

some plague rats posted:

Why would anyone who actually needs social interaction become a computer janitor. Completely counterintuitive

it's what you do if you have a degree in pure mathematics but discover there aren't actually many positions that don't pay like absolute poo poo. also, like I said, large projects are very collaborative

susan b buffering posted:

just get on a teams call

it works for important stuff but not as good for general "is anyone free for me to bounce ideas off"

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
people like getting paid to spank it, everybody knows, shut up

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

crepeface posted:

it works for important stuff but not as good for general "is anyone free for me to bounce ideas off"

I litterally just phone a boss or colleague if I need to bounce ideas around it's not that complicated

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
:rolleyes:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crepeface posted:

it's what you do if you have a degree in pure mathematics but discover there aren't actually many positions that don't pay like absolute poo poo. also, like I said, large projects are very collaborative

why would someone who needs social interaction get a pure mathematics degree?!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

josh04 posted:

why would someone who needs social interaction get a pure mathematics degree?!

mathematicians do math because they're geeks who think it's cool and want to share, which helps other math geeks make cool things

selfish antisocial weirdos like Grigori Perelman push the edges of Math forward but kill community momentum, and we don't get a lot of genius collaborators like Paul Erdos (couchsurfed his whole life slamming amphetamines and jamming with interesting mathematicians)

jobs like data science are dirty but they let you combine your math with interesting people's real world projects, so the work gets out there

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

crepeface posted:

really? coding on large complex projects requires so much collaboration!
Don't you have a company group chat?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
are you seriously too dumb to understand why talking to someone in person is different to chat

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

not in the context of making money for someone else

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I don't care about programmers.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There are problems that can be resolved in chat, and problems that can be resolved with a zoom screen share. All other problems are for the escalation tech, who is contacted via chat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Saagonsa posted:

I don't care about programmers.

yeah we really shouldn't be making policy based on what's best for computer programmers.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

crepeface posted:

are you seriously too dumb to understand why talking to someone in person is different to chat

the difference between handholding a coworker through a merge conflict in person versus over chat/screen share/etc is that they get to witness my life force leaving my body as i read the indecipherable error message of

code:
do a pull you loving dumbass
WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY MEAN

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

for the loving life of me I can't remember the US senator/representative guy that posed for a gym glamour shoot which Chapo covered ~5 years ago. seemingly not Ted Cruz

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paul Ryan

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

nice

guess this is now a meta-dunk on Cruz, since his skinnyfat rear end isn't even up to Ryan's college repbrolican standards

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Re: the newest ep. Why are they talking about “dirty bombs”? Iirc that was just a fear mongering thing used by the US government that actually wouldn’t really work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uh, no, a bomb full of radioactive material combined with a substantial enough payload would be absolutely devastating to any environment, potentially for generations. The US fear mongering about it is deeply ironic given our propensity for depleted Uranium bunker busters leaving toxic waste buried below the surface of the earth forever.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I remember as a kid hearing about dolphins and Elian but I didn't realize it was made up by some newspaper brain genius lol.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Analytic Engine posted:

nice

guess this is now a meta-dunk on Cruz, since his skinnyfat rear end isn't even up to Ryan's college repbrolican standards

"skinnyfat"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

Uh, no, a bomb full of radioactive material combined with a substantial enough payload would be absolutely devastating to any environment, potentially for generations. The US fear mongering about it is deeply ironic given our propensity for depleted Uranium bunker busters leaving toxic waste buried below the surface of the earth forever.

No, dirty bombs are bullshit. Depleted uranium underground is a problem because it's in one place for a long time. The radioactive material attached to a dirty bomb would be spread around and pulverized by the explosion. Back in the Bush days there was a study done to prove how dangerous dirty bombs were, and to prove it they had to assume that everyone in the vicinity of the bomb would never leave the vicinity or shower and also that it would never rain. If it did rain or people came in with hoses to hose down the area, and the people who had been near the blast showered, the effects of the radioactive material would be too small to measure.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m glad the scientists employed by the federal government said it was ok to use radioactive garbage to bomb people because our poison rains will come and disperse it harmlessly

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The man portable suitcase dirt bombs Bush guys talked about were bullshit, but the Saudis just stuffing radioactive material into the bombs they're already dropping all over Yemen would indieed be bad.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

The man portable suitcase dirt bombs Bush guys talked about were bullshit, but the Saudis just stuffing radioactive material into the bombs they're already dropping all over Yemen would indieed be bad.

Not sure why that would require nuclear secrets though

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m glad the scientists employed by the federal government said it was ok to use radioactive garbage to bomb people because our poison rains will come and disperse it harmlessly

My man, they used that study to argue that dirty bombs were bad. I know you're like 40 don't you remember the Bush administration? Don't you remember the dirty bomb fear mongering?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terrible Opinions posted:

that's like saying a pipebomb with nails in it is a super ultra omega pipe bomb though. Like, yea, putting extra poo poo in a bomb is always bad, that's how bombs work. You don't need anything more than access to the materials, though, and there's zero way to stop a state or group from having access to 'radioactive material' as a concept.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Gripweed posted:

"skinnyfat"?

Maybe on the Goon Scale

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Here to say that Culver’s rules, and sometimes it’s nice to go to the office and bring people cookies or brownies/bars.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1559736133185060865?s=21&t=6K_bbgUkTJGMTab6nNti0w

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I have a Culver's up the street and it's ok, but there is always a line at the window and you have to wait a bit for your food so I've only gone a couple times. It's a hamburger and tastes like pretty much every other hamburger.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
cursed palate

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
weird city

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Wrong thread

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 17, 2022

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Gripweed posted:

yeah we really shouldn't be making policy based on what's best for computer programmers.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Here to say that Culver’s rules, and sometimes it’s nice to go to the office and bring people cookies or brownies/bars.

Culver’s double deluxe bacon burger, fries, curds, raspberry shake. I’m in heaven right now. Looking down on you and your inferior burger chains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boywhiz88 posted:

Culver’s double deluxe bacon burger, fries, curds, raspberry shake. I’m in heaven right now. Looking down on you and your inferior burger chains.

Yeah because you died from eating that poo poo