Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Fantastic month, Eve's Bayou has been on my "to watch" list for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Franchescanado posted:

They’re fine. They’re just a little aesthetically different. None of them are “compromised”, but the original palette for In The Mood For Love is better. Not a deal breaker at all.

I knew this existed and couldn't remember where it was so sorry it's a bit late to the discussion.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/7325-world-of-wong-kar-wai-director-s-note

WKW going into detail about why he made the changes and what he was trying to evoke. Here's the relevant part;

After the premiere of Ashes of Time Redux in 2008, some audience members observed that the film looked different from what they remembered. I realized that some of our audience had discovered it on pirated copies and in suboptimal exhibition venues that presented the film in a different light. Still, some preferred the versions that they had watched, because memories are hard to beat.

As the saying goes: “No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.”

Since the beginning of this process, these words have reminded me to treat these restorations as an opportunity to present new works, from a different vantage point in my career.

Having arrived at the end of this process, these words still hold true.

I invite the audience to join me in starting afresh, as these are not the same films, and we are no longer the same audience.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yeah, it still doesn't really excuse not having all versions of the films on the set, but I enjoy the set nonetheless.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

uh, yeah, we know all this

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Arsenic and Old Lace is a ton of fun and worth getting.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think WKW is a great director and everything but I don't give a poo poo about a director's take on the visuals of a film outside of the psychology or philosophy...how about getting some feedback from Christopher Doyle on the visual changes?

The only good example of this I've seen is David Simon's open letter on using the full gate/open matte for the blu ray release of The Wire, not only for how articulate and genuine he comes across, but also due to the death of Bob Colesberry

(you can read that discussion here: https://davidsimon.com/the-wire-hd-with-videos/)

Also this maybe-consult-with-the-friggin-DP conversation excludes Storaro because he's lost his goddamn mind trying to crop everything to 2:1 from 2.35. Kick rocks buddy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Daisies
In the Mood for Love 4K
Power of the Dog 4K
Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Malcolm X 4K

Great month. I assume it’s only the matrix tint for in the mood for love which is sad

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Escobarbarian posted:

Daisies
In the Mood for Love 4K
Power of the Dog 4K
Infernal Affairs Trilogy
Malcolm X 4K

Great month. I assume it’s only the matrix tint for in the mood for love which is sad

the individual wkw releases will have the original versions of the movies as extras.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

That cover for Malcolm X is atrocious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I kinda like it but for the life of me I couldn’t tell you why

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Daisies already had an amazing cover. The new one is nice, but it’s a step down.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What cover was that? I thought it was only on criterion as part of a boxset before.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'm assuming Power of the Dog has a typo, otherwise 2.28:1 is a very specific aspect ratio.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

What cover was that? I thought it was only on criterion as part of a boxset before.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cemetry Gator posted:

I'm assuming Power of the Dog has a typo, otherwise 2.28:1 is a very specific aspect ratio.

We live in a post-aspect ratio world so I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go with something splitting the difference between 2.20 and 2.35/2.40.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Never seen that one. It’s pretty cool. I love this one:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Gripweed posted:

the individual wkw releases will have the original versions of the movies as extras.

drat, I might have to double dip in future. And I just got the wkw set in the last sale.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Gripweed posted:

i don't see anything about this listed on the criterion page

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still feel buyer's anxiety towards Criterion blu-rays now. I wish they'd just make every new release have a 4k option now.

I don't want to buy Daisies and then re-buy it in two years when it gets a 4k release.

I get maybe not releasing the trilogies and box sets as 4ks, cuz it'll be expensive, but are they really saving money by doing a 4k restoration on a film and then putting it on a blu-ray disc instead of UHD?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Parallax posted:

i don't see anything about this listed on the criterion page

oh yeah I didn't see it anywhere either, I just said it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Lotta Tony Leung, to which I can only say "Good."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gripweed posted:

oh yeah I didn't see it anywhere either, I just said it

My uncle works at Criterion and he says their first 8k release in 2035 is going to be Fishing with John

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
8k Freddy Got Fingered when

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
https://twitter.com/Kyle_MacLachlan/status/1562822851090317312?s=20&t=1qW6KnaQ5Ge7h956WAZr7g

Showgirls 4K inbound

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
He misspoke, it is the coffee. Criterion is doing coffee now.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Criterion Collection: Michael J. Anderson's dialogue track was accidentally reversed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1567899052334874625?s=20&t=csjylolHoZ8nrKP2dYuLwA

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Egbert Souse posted:

Someone revealed a bunch of titles coming from Criterion before deleting their account. Turns out two of the titles were among the March releases ("4K Scorsese" and Le cercle rouge in 4K), so I think it's safe to expect these as likely...

"3 more Netflix movies from North American directors, one controversial not because of content"

I think this is the controversial 4K:

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1567899052334874625

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Oof, that movie hasn't aged well.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I don't care what people say, Jeff Garlin is still a hero to me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hope the WALL-E deal gets them access to things I actually care about

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Disney doesn’t seem to give much of a poo poo about physical media anymore, so I’m extremely all for Criterion getting a shot to dig around in the vaults.

Film Twitter won’t be happy about it, but gently caress those losers.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Wal-E? How not?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looking at the specs of the Blu-ray and existing UHD, looks like Criterion is adding...

- Likely BD-100 over Disney's BD-66
- Dolby Vision and HDR10+ (HDR10 on Disney's UHD)
- Lossless stereo track (Blu is 5.1, UHD has Atmos and 5.1)
- Second commentary (Blu only had the Andrew Stanton one)
- New influences piece
- Stanton's student film A Story
- New piece with Stanton and Jim Reardon
- Trailers
- Essay/booklet

Seems to be missing the Presto short film, but I bet that'll be added at some point.

Huge deal since I can see Toy Story, Ratatouille, and Up getting releases. Hopefully, this opens the door to mainline Disney stuff. I can totally see them doing Snow White and Fantasia now.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gripweed posted:

Wal-E? How not?

The whole thing about fat people is pretty oof.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The whole thing about fat people is pretty oof.

oh lol nah people got mad about that back then too.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

If nothing else, it’ll certainly sell.

Can’t wait for My 4K Criterion Edition of Cars 2.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Tired: Wall-E is fatphobic

Wired: Wall-E cynically employs gender essentialism to tell a story that is superficially anti-capitalist but actually reifies the cultural norms of consumption and exploitation that will lead to environmental collapse, advocating that the proletariat servitors of globalized capitalism embrace the nuclear family model to better continue the capitalist mode of production and reject sexless, sterile communism.

I kid, Wall-E is a great film.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Hope the WALL-E deal gets them access to things I actually care about

I'd like to see if some of Hayao Miyazaki's films could make it into the Criterion. Doesn't Disney still own the publishing rights to most of his work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Macrame_God posted:

I'd like to see if some of Hayao Miyazaki's films could make it into the Criterion. Doesn't Disney still own the publishing rights to most of his work?

I think Shout has them all.