Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
wake up babes new glam just dropped

My staff going kupo every time I pull it out undermines the gravitas of the Praetorium cutscenes and I will not have it any other way.

holy poo poo the lesbian bar full of bunnymaids in the background :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Doomykins posted:

5.0 Baby Sprout Almost At Modern Day
--snip--
And Endwalker is BETTER???
You don't even have to look that far, 5.3 by itself is a strong contender, looking forward your reactions to this
Oh and don't sleep on the normal 8 man raid

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I always hear people say they hate Neverreap but anytime I've done it it's just like... fine. A totally just okay dungeon. Was it considerably harder on release?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Macaluso posted:

I always hear people say they hate Neverreap but anytime I've done it it's just like... fine. A totally just okay dungeon. Was it considerably harder on release?

We spent a long time (3.1 came out a couple of months later than patches usually do cause the dev team desperately needed time off after HW release) with only 2 dungeons in expert roulette and stat inflation means the bosses die significantly faster than they did when it was current so you got a lot more of the annoying phases where they go untargettable.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Basically Neverreap was played out. We only had two dungeons and Neverreap was the worse of the two so that is the one everybody hated.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Neverreap's final boss also had a ringout mechanic that you couldn't raise someone after, right? It was in that era?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cleretic posted:

Neverreap's final boss also had a ringout mechanic that you couldn't raise someone after, right? It was in that era?

Ringout mechanics were no rez until the Warring Triad and I think it even was the last one of them that they introduced it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macaluso posted:

It's very annoying. The thing with the totems in the opening area and the wandering whirlwinds. The killer bees in the second section. The dropsy gimmick in the third. Every single boss has multiple phases that force you to not do anything. First boss with the fog mechanic, second boss dealing with dragging the totems around, and the last boss doing zoomies. Everything just dragged, the last boss in particular used to take an average of 5-7 minutes due to all the downtime, and also the inflated hp pool, and then also yeah, as cleretic said you could get ring out'd and be unrezzable. Plus, it being one of the 2 end game dungeons meant that a lot of poorly geared people funneled into it looking to get upgrades and it was just a bad, boring time.

Except for the animation for hauling totems around, just a delight.

You don't get the full experience these days because potencies are generally up across the board and if you end up in it, it's probably going to be 3 at cap players and a random sprout. But it was tedious as gently caress back when it was current.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

parasyte posted:

TBH it's hard to tell what parts of these are denouement from 1.0 and particularly in ARR/HW things were not exactly being set up for a specific purpose. The writers said in interviews post-Endwalker release that (not endwalker spoilers, but perhaps spoily anyway) the Ascians particularly didn't have a driving motivation, they were just villains doing typically villainy poo poo; to their credit they worked things out well enough so ARR Hydaelyn and ARR Lahabrea's speeches still kinda fit, as long as you're willing to work it into what came later

Ahh, fascinating. Square really made great use of what they had then, yeah. The N-something guy that kidnaps Minifilia for his punch clock patch trial encounter was maybe the worst story beat in the game for me, worthy of the filler label! Even if it's a nice fight! They did pick up on the elements of menace for HW/StB storybeats and the HW fights but there was a palpable relief in StB that I wasn't seeing them. Then they got their Exdeath!

Zanael posted:

You don't even have to look that far, 5.3 by itself is a strong contender, looking forward your reactions to this
Oh and don't sleep on the normal 8 man raid

Aww hell yeah. Believe me I leave no blue undone, even if they just hand me food at the end of it.

SirPhoebos posted:

I think you'll like it well enough.

I've heard he rubs some people the wrong way but I 100% buy into the crazy FF antag rivalry relationship and my friend, Zenos Roos Galvus.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Zenos would not work for me if it weren't for his voice performance being absolutely spectacular. I love him.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

SirSamVimes posted:

Zenos would not work for me if it weren't for his voice performance being absolutely spectacular. I love him.

he's what saturday morning cartoon villains wish they sounded like

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Aww hell yeah. Believe me I leave no blue undone, even if they just hand me food at the end of it.
Just to let you know, it's better to do the first two wings of the raid (so bosses 1->8) before that specific patch, and the last one after, because of reasons. Not sure you can even do the last wing before completing the patch, but just in case.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Can someone explain to me what the white hot gently caress is going on with gatherer guerdon 5 prices?

I'm not complaining, mind you. I've made 2 mil off it in the past few days but seriously what the hell

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

I assume people are gearing up in anticipation of the new crafted battle gear next week

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

Can someone explain to me what the white hot gently caress is going on with gatherer guerdon 5 prices?

I'm not complaining, mind you. I've made 2 mil off it in the past few days but seriously what the hell

Just a guess but I'm assuming there's a significant number of people gearing purely off of guides so if there's a guide written by someone afraid of red numbers they'll put V in a spot that can also take a VII but the people reading the guide won't know about any of that so Vs shoot up while VIIs stay flat.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Ringout mechanics were no rez until the Warring Triad and I think it even was the last one of them that they introduced it.

The first fight to have respawn after falling off was Sophia, and that was in 3.4 so pretty late in the expansion. Thank god for it, because the first boss of Dun Scaith would have been impossible with permadeath.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

If a lower-level materia jumps in price it’s almost always because it fit the perfect number to max out a specific sub-stat on a current piece of gear. Someone probably listed it in a melding guide so the price jumped from folks that just follow the guide without trying to swap out similar, cheaper materia.

e: beaten

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So you don't want to use the highest level materia for melding?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Electric Phantasm posted:

The highest-level materia is what you want... unless you're overmelding, because the overmeld slots (except the first, I think), don't accept the even tiers, they only accept the lower-stat odd tiers.

Overmelding is extremely grognardy and annoying to do and only worth caring about if you're doing first week raiding though, generally.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is more of a concern for overmelding where you have to contend with failure percentages and stuff, for normal melding you want the highest level.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Good to know! I've only overmelded a few times and understand the fear of red numbers so I'll have to remember this when I start kitting out the final set of gatherer gear.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yep i ran into the same thing when i melded my crafting gear earlier. the ones recommended in the guide were insanely expensive compared to other ones that would do the same thing but with a red number.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Am I misremembering, or don't low rank materia have a higher chance to meld?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Raised By Birds posted:

Am I misremembering, or don't low rank materia have a higher chance to meld?

its minimal. certainly not worth paying like 5x the price for each one.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Yeah 7 vs 10% success doesn't mean much if there's a tenfold price difference

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Lower rank material has slightly higher chance to meld, but you might need more of it to hit caps, and it's actually harder to get than just buying the highest tiers with scrip.
So even though melding guides will tell you the exact materia required to hit your goals, it'll probably be cheaper to just use the new stuff and overcap. Especially on a patch day where the entire server is trying to follow the optimal guide and destroying the market board.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

USUALLY lower level materia have the dual benefits of 1) Costing less and 2) hitting the stat cap without wasting any points. People see this and buy them like crazy, so the price shoots up, so then it becomes cheaper to buy higher level materia and not worry about "wasting" stats

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I don't remember specific percentage for every tier but the rules are:

1st overmeld slot is the only slot that takes additional evens above tier IV (so VI, VIII, and X)
current expansion even (X), has its own overmeld chance lower than anything else for that slot
odd overmelds greater than tier III all have the same chance (V, VII, and IX), this is where you see the weird prices where people buy out lower tiers even when higher tiers are functionally identical
tiers I to VI are the only overmelds with greater than "normal" overmeld chance, going for a 4th overmeld on a naturally 1 slot item with V, VII, or IX is 5%, for tiers I to VI, the chance is higher, the lower the tier the better the chance.

Basically just look up prices and plug your stuff into a gear calculator, it's just trying to cram as much stats as possible onto your thing and then looking for the cheapest stuff to buy to get there.

Algid fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 17, 2022

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Quick note, if you plan to ever do mass production end-game crafting macros, do not just plug in whatever you feel like. You need to reliably hit certain break points and know exactly what stats you are working with so that the macros work every single time, without fail and loss of time/money/materials.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Suboptimal materia melds can usually be made up for with the right food/meds, HQ precursors, and longer macros. None of these options are great for mass production, since you want spiritbond food/meds, minimal time spent crafting precursors, and minimal macro length for higher throughput, but if you’re only gearing up to make pots for your static then you don’t need to care too much.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm talking specifically about very high end crafting, where you absolutely cannot just wing it. It's very good to plan ahead if it's something you might want to do in the future because it can end up being very, very costly not planning correctly. Basically, if that sort of crafting is appealing to someone, they should become a lot more familiar with breakpoints and stat requirements now rather than in the future.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If you're is trying to cram the highest tier materia in a slot that wouldn't overcap or would overcap the least, while generally favoring CP, control, and craftsmanship in that order you're good for any content outside specific expert recipe progress rotations.

Basically so long as you don't cheap out you will hit the relevant breakpoints before even putting anything besides CP on your tools. If you are trying to do stuff for cheap I wouldn't even bother since it slows you down when you're trying to go for volume, what you'll save from a full set of materia can instead be spent on any green gear you want, and you can craft old items or furniture as well as anyone else.

Shadowfyst
Jun 8, 2003

I'm not sure if there's a better place for this, but my 6/8 Heavens' Legend static on Crystal is recruiting a shield healer and a non-sam melee for the next savage tier with a goal to clear week one. Normal raid times are S-Th from 7p-9p PT, but we'll probably do a bit more week one and a lot less after. Send me a pm if you're interested or have questions.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Finally had a little time to sit down and do the event quests, and, uh...that's unfortunate.

Crackerjack posted:

The new beachwear is A++. Keeps me cool while scanning the beaches for signs of Chaos.

Yeah, I was surprised at how much I like it. The top is now part of my new favorite casual glam.

I'm considering changing my hair to a brighter purple to match with the bow glow, since the rest of the bow matches with the top so well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Onean posted:

Finally had a little time to sit down and do the event quests, and, uh...that's unfortunate.

That happens a lot for the dramatic shot of Keeper of the Lake unlocking, since you often get purple fog there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Onean posted:

The course is so imposing you can’t even comprehend it’s true form!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Onean posted:

I had that happen too!

derra
Dec 29, 2012
In preparation for the next patch, anything particularly noteworthy to get with the CC currency? I bought all the frames and register-able things, but still am capped and not sure what's going to happen with my extra series rank currency that I haven't redeemed yet.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Since it's new currency nothing should happen to it, it might get bumped down so you can't earn more but I haven't heard any patch notes indicating that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derra
Dec 29, 2012
After you're level 30 you start earning 1k every so much series XP. I am sitting with some currency there (you don't have to redeem it right away) and am worried I will lose that when the series switches over.