Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
"My name is Yu Law! I am nobody's bitch!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Seeing The One in the theater on opening weekend is one of my movie badges of honor.

That and Pitch Black. Me and my friends used to just be like "we're going to the movies this weekend, what looks vaguely interesting", and we'd go see whatever. Ended up seeing a bunch of good stuff almost by accident that way.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Basebf555 posted:

Seeing The One in the theater on opening weekend is one of my movie badges of honor.

That and Pitch Black.
I saw it in the cinema as well with my wee pals and distinctly remember doing kung fu moves with them in the car park afterward.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Narzack posted:

I think Donnie Yen got one of the worst US intros. Bloody awful Highlander. Blade 2, he had the worst off screen death ever, but at least he was cool. I don't think he cared all that much in that one, because, as I recall he was also one of the fight coordinators.

I have a soft spot for Highlander endgame because it did introduce me to Donnie Yen and made me realize there was so much more to cinema that just whatever the US puts out. That led me to John Woo and tons of other awesome movies.

B-Rock452 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 16, 2022

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

thatfuturekid posted:

TNCFU is my favorite action film since The Raid. It's just so bonkers and violent and doesn't let up at all. Timo went all in, can't wait for his Train to Busan remake tbh

Goddamn that movie is so dark I legitimately got desensitized to the mayhem, and whatever the hell else was going on.

e:

Ulio posted:

Didn't watch the GI Joe movie, I gave a chance to the 2nd one but its the most generic Hollywood bad 2010s type poo poo.

From my faint memory I'd say the first GI Joe movie is worth a watch. It goes to some wacky places.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 16, 2022

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Goddamn that movie is so dark I legitimately got desensitized to the mayhem, and whatever the hell else was going on.

e:

From my faint memory I'd say the first GI Joe movie is worth a watch. It goes to some wacky places.

The first GI Joe is great.

B-Rock452 posted:

I have a soft spot for Highlander endgame because it did introduce me to Donnie Yen and made me realize there was so much more to cinema that just whatever the US puts out. That led me to John Woo and tons of other awesome movies.

Alright, that's pretty cool, then.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Narzack posted:

The first GI Joe is great.

Alright, that's pretty cool, then.

What was less cool was I was a huge highlander fan and used to dress like Duncan McCloud when I was in high school. Yes I was a huge nerd...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The One is a perfect movie for its era.

And I slogged through MECHANIC RESURRECTION the other day which is EASILY the worst movie featuring actual famous people I’ve ever seen. Tommy Lee Jones ffs!!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm convinced that not a single person has seen Transporter 3 more than once.

And I'm someone that's watched the second one over a dozen times. Granted that's mostly because Kate Nauta is a total babe and I was a teen.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ulio posted:

Didn't watch the GI Joe movie, I gave a chance to the 2nd one but its the most generic Hollywood bad 2010s type poo poo.

Try and find it with director commentary.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
The first GI Joe movie is a fun time if you imagine it being a literal live action Saturday morning cartoon. The second one loses this direction and it's a kinda lovely and forgettable flick.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Inzombiac posted:

I know I’ve seen it because I only remember the bit about floating the Audi in the river and then apparently it somehow being driveable an hour after being submerged.

And that one made the most money. Insane.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A movie directed by Sam Peckinpah where James Caan and Paulie from Rocky fight ninjas and Robert Duvall really shouldn’t be as boring as The Killer Elite is. The 30-minute chunk where Caan rehabs from getting shot in the knee is somehow more compelling than all the action

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
For whatever reason I never actually got around to watching Wu Assassins, does Iko speak english in it?

Also, the show seems to have done well enough that they made a movie afterwards.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Inzombiac posted:

Or all episodes of the TV show once.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Narzack posted:

I think Donnie Yen got one of the worst US intros. Bloody awful Highlander. Blade 2, he had the worst off screen death ever, but at least he was cool. I don't think he cared all that much in that one, because, as I recall he was also one of the fight coordinators.

he was in Hero the same year too (and Hero owns)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MrBling posted:

For whatever reason I never actually got around to watching Wu Assassins, does Iko speak english in it?

Also, the show seems to have done well enough that they made a movie afterwards.

Yes, he speaks English. He's clearly working incredibly hard but it's still a bit stilted and wooden.

Luckily Iko has a great face for emoting, so this helps.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Justin Godscock posted:

The first GI Joe movie is a fun time if you imagine it being a literal live action Saturday morning cartoon. The second one loses this direction and it's a kinda lovely and forgettable flick.
The good things about the 2nd one are a) the mountainside bungee ninja fight and b) the RZA. God love him, he's one of the most fantastically bad actors I've ever seen. He delivers every line like he's going off a teleprompter that's slowly moving backward and getting harder to read

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was very silly that they even bothered pretending the GI Joe: Retaliation was even a sequel considering they ditched just about everything from the first movie. The only thing that really carries over is the idea that Zartan had replaced the US President.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

It was very silly that they even bothered pretending the GI Joe: Retaliation was even a sequel considering they ditched just about everything from the first movie. The only thing that really carries over is the idea that Zartan had replaced the US President.

They reshot more scenes with Tatum because he started to get actually popular in a positive way. They definitely killed him off in one scene because of the poor reaction he got in the first one. He wasn’t really that great in it.

I love Stephen sommers but idk that first movie is kinda lame. The second one is way worse though.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Prey good. Just watched it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Alan Smithee posted:

I was confused too

that would suggest it really didn't know how its own technology worked and either she did, or she got REALLY lucky that the Yautja didn't

I think he assumed the mask was far enough away to turn his bolts into dumbfire projectiles

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I think he assumed the mask was far enough away to turn his bolts into dumbfire projectiles

Prey ending :They start tracking the sound of the dart as it goes left, and only upon turning 720° does he notice the laser. If you're conceited and not expecting it, you'll have about as much time as they did to cock your head and put 2 and 2 together

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Say what you will about the Predator in Prey, he's still a lot more competent and intelligent than the Predator in Predator 2 who just bounces around on cars n poo poo and gets shot while awkwardly trying to push aside meat lol. Of course, he can't say motherfucker, so that's a problem.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Not a movie, but not too far off: finished reading Heat 2 today.
Both a prequel and a sequel and basically reads like a novelization of a movie. Or fan fiction, I suppose.
A good summer read if you want to spend some more time in that universe - definitely (re)watch Heat first though, to get yourself in the right mindframe (and since it's a god drat great movie).

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Angryhead posted:

Not a movie, but not too far off: finished reading Heat 2 today.
Both a prequel and a sequel and basically reads like a novelization of a movie. Or fan fiction, I suppose.
A good summer read if you want to spend some more time in that universe - definitely (re)watch Heat first though, to get yourself in the right mindframe (and since it's a god drat great movie).

My copy is coming tomorrow so pretty psyched. Just rewatched Heat so I am ready

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Oh boy, Day Shift should be right up my alley.
It's essentially a Hunter: The Reckoning (World of Darkness TTRPG) set in LA but I thought it was fairly forgettable.

Jamie Foxx is someone I normally look forward to but his character is pretty flat.

Some neat action and liberal use of contortionists as "spider" vamps was neat and the world overall has potential. A solid C+. I've seen waaaaaay worse.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

dokmo posted:

Are there any examples of an asian martial arts star being used effectively by a Hollywood movie, aside from the John wick series? It's pretty sad how bad Hollywood's record is in getting the best use out of these performers. Iko in Mile 22, Tony Jaa in fast and furious, Donnie Yen in xxx, all wasted.

I guess some of Jackie Chan's movies count. Maybe Michelle Yeoh in that one James Bond movie?

I think most people said the correct answer, Jet Li is probably one of the better examples. But even Jet Li's best movies are his Chinese stuff, Hero is one of my favorite Wuxia type movies.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
The Assistant just dropped on netflix. Malaysian flick from the guy who directed Wira and Paskal, both decent action movies from a place that doesn't get much western exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM6aWqHxewo

I'm halfway through it and the action is pretty good, significantly better than the director's previous movies. The story is pretty bad however.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

dokmo posted:

The Assistant just dropped on netflix. Malaysian flick from the guy who directed Wira and Paskal, both decent action movies from a place that doesn't get much western exposure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM6aWqHxewo

I'm halfway through it and the action is pretty good, significantly better than the director's previous movies. The story is pretty bad however.

Trailer looks good, I'll prolly watch it this weekend.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Everyone should watch Wira. Early in the film, a minor villain verbally taunts the hero, who responds with 'so how about your dead sister.' I don't know if it was just subtitling giving it a completely weird tone but it was one of the funniest things I've seen. The whole movie has the most bizarre vibe.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is RRR supposed to be good? I seem to recall seeing quite a bit of chatter about it but not sure if it was ITT. But other than imperialist monsters getting owned it didn't stand out as an actual action movie. I'm not a huge expert on Indian flicks but it seemed to be similar to what I have seen (was it Edhiran? with the robot squid thing), in that the action is nicely shot and looks cool, but gets progressively more ridiculous and ultimately not very satisfying. Some unusual sound mixing/design choices too. Plus, over 3 hours, ugh.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Is RRR supposed to be good? I seem to recall seeing quite a bit of chatter about it but not sure if it was ITT. But other than imperialist monsters getting owned it didn't stand out as an actual action movie. I'm not a huge expert on Indian flicks but it seemed to be similar to what I have seen (was it Edhiran? with the robot squid thing), in that the action is nicely shot and looks cool, but gets progressively more ridiculous and ultimately not very satisfying. Some unusual sound mixing/design choices too. Plus, over 3 hours, ugh.

Live a little

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

mobby_6kl posted:

It's a fun, fun movie op.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I finally watched No Time to Die and I thought it was funny how the ending literally went scorched Earth with making sure this was the last Daniel Craig Bond movie. Also super disappointed how little Ana de Armas was actually in it since she was pretty fun (and extremely pretty.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I finally watched No Time to Die and I thought it was funny how the ending literally went scorched Earth with making sure this was the last Daniel Craig Bond movie. Also super disappointed how little Ana de Armas was actually in it since she was pretty fun (and extremely pretty.)

It was a nice callback to the completely otherwise unconnected but attractive woman would pop up in the old bond films and then vanish. They just did it with a really good actress and gave her a dope fight scene instead of a barely legal ice skater or whatever they were doing in the Moore era.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

mobby_6kl posted:

:dogstare:
:lmao:

feel like trying to explain the magic of RRR is like trying to explain the beauty of nature

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They should have sent a choreographer

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Comcast’s on demand for free action movies is trying to tell me that Bruce Willis was in 75% of the past two years of action movies and that’s disappointing. Was his agent taking advantage of him for paydays or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Pillowpants posted:

Comcast’s on demand for free action movies is trying to tell me that Bruce Willis was in 75% of the past two years of action movies and that’s disappointing. Was his agent taking advantage of him for paydays or something?

I think what came out is that he was trying to make as much money as possible because he’s suffering from aphasia.