Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Paladinus posted:

Interest-free loans are the next best thing to free money. Especially with high inflation. Still, not a close second, mind.

I got an idea:

Payback-free loans. Feel free to charge as much interest as you like.

Sanlav posted:

The last conversation I had with my sister, she was bragging about how she scored the highest in the office and got taken out to lunch by management at her property management fund. IDK what they did to that generation. She was downright giddy about giving them every minute on the clock. No bonus, no promotions in 3 years there, but senpai noticed her and it's like it was all worth it.

This is what a school system which doesn't teach critical thinking does to people.

Gotta follow all the orders and diligently do the work and you'll get a sticker and everyone will validate you by telling you you're doing so incredibly well by doing everything you are supposed to. Some people get addicted to that validation. Don't even notice how badly they're getting hosed as long as they get that validation.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

I got an idea:

Payback-free loans. Feel free to charge as much interest as you like.

These already exist, except the payback-free part has an expiration date. They do have the "as much interest as you like" part down though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

That snake robot is cute.

Make Snakes Lizards Again

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

BonHair posted:

These already exist, except the payback-free part has an expiration date.

Well this is just a terrible idea.

Even the bible agrees.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/topherflorence/status/1559577209035112448

Make the brands stop

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
https://slate.com/business/2022/08/uber-lyft-gig-economy-worker-flexibility-choice-act.html

quote:

Now Uber, Lyft, and a coalition of large corporations are expanding their quest to rope off their workers from labor laws, and it’s dramatically more ambitious. With the backing of the Coalition for Workforce Innovation, a lobbying group made up of not just app companies but household names like Google, Kroger, and Target, Democratic Rep. Henry Cuellar and Republican Reps. Elise Stefanik and Michelle Steel introduced legislation, the Worker Flexibility and Choice Act, in late July that wouldn’t just help Uber and Lyft treat their drivers as independent contractors, but exempt virtually any American worker from minimum wage and overtime protections.

This federal foray goes far beyond the state-level bargains these companies had attempted to eke out. The legislation would deem any worker who signed a so-called “worker flexibility agreement” to be an independent contractor for the purposes of the Fair Labor Standards Act, which requires employers to pay minimum wage and overtime. “This bill would dramatically upend labor standards,” said Brian Chen, senior staff attorney at the National Employment Law Project.

Compared to what the companies were trying to broker in state legislatures, the Cuellar bill “is very, very different and much more ambitious,” said Marshall Steinbaum, assistant professor of economics at the University of Utah. The ultimate goal is still the same: to classify certain workers as independent contractors, not as employee. But instead of narrowly tailoring it to so-called gig workers—Uber drivers, DoorDashers, and the like—this bill would apply to any worker in any industry who signed such an agreement.

“Any employer in the private sector could embrace this model,” said Veena Dubal, law professor at the University of California, Hastings. “This is everyone. This is literally anyone.” And there would be a clear incentive for companies to make use of it. Without the requirement to pay at least minimum wage, employers could pay as little as they wanted, devoting less of their profits to their workforces. Without overtime requirements, they could force their workers to put in longer hours without having to pay them anything extra. While these agreements, were the bill to become law, might at first be most prevalent in low-wage service sector work, where workers already have little power to push back against restrictive working conditions and where wage theft runs rampant, they almost certainly won’t stay there. They would be an attractive option for any employer, including “more professional or managerial-style jobs,” Chen said.

Henry Cuellar, if you'll recall, is the anti-bodily-autonomy Democrat whose home was raided by the FBI over his ties to oil interests, and whose campaign Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leadership poured a ton of money and time into even though there was a viable progressive alternative.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

this is really something else. i need a minute

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shear Modulus posted:

uhhhh is this news to people? Of course lockheed recruits at college campuses. they get a booth at the engineering career fair right next to boeing and the car companies and the oil companies and the software companies.
The NSA and CIA had open houses for CS majors. Yes, I went, because I was curious. No, I did not apply.

Paladinus posted:

I forgot, do you need to license youtube videos from creators or does youtube technically own everyone's videos, and you only need to credit the author? Maybe I'm thinking about instagram.

E: Yep, there it is.

Youtube has global rights to redistribute. Not Random McCorporation.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ham Equity posted:

https://slate.com/business/2022/08/uber-lyft-gig-economy-worker-flexibility-choice-act.html

Henry Cuellar, if you'll recall, is the anti-bodily-autonomy Democrat whose home was raided by the FBI over his ties to oil interests, and whose campaign Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Democratic leadership poured a ton of money and time into even though there was a viable progressive alternative.

vote!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I watched the Charles Entertainment Cheese stream a while ago and I just felt really bad for whatever intern they made sit there and play the game, they clearly had no idea what they were doing and were just kinda quiet and awkward the entire time

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

or it was some failson doing something other than lacrosse for the first time. media jobs are drying up

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Danaru posted:

Make the brands stop

Please fill out this survey about which brands enrage you most and we'll adjust your advertising preferences to help you engage only with the brands you love

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's a version of this where they use sensors to give the snake control over the legs, but this just seems to be a snake sitting inside a primitive robo-tube which is being controlled by a laptop? The former would have obvious potential application in robotics and prosthetics, the latter is just some nerd playing with some off-the-shelf servo components.

Not really a big deal either way, it's not like this dude was going to solve global warming if we took away his toys.

It just struck me as absurd that CNN would bother reporting on such a useless device via their official twitter channel. The fact they stole the video in question made me think it would be at home in the thread.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The NSA and CIA had open houses for CS majors. Yes, I went, because I was curious. No, I did not apply.

youtube could just give cnn the video since "news piece that's just a youtube video" is basically an advertisement for youtube and that's for the purpose of promoting the Service

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just wait until you see their report on local kitten saved from tree by firefighter

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Did the dude even post it on YouTube?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am more than sure Mr. CNN has cleared it with Mr. YouTube. It's not like it's the first time a news corporation used a video from youtube, lmao. I imagine their agreement covers the entire catalogue. If they so desire, they can post this video, and all they'll need to do is mention that it's from youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIMpVunf5Co

Ham Equity posted:

Did the dude even post it on YouTube?

Yes. It's on his youtube channel.

Paladinus has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Aug 17, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the key word would be sublicensable

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Paladinus posted:

I forgot, do you need to license youtube videos from creators or does youtube technically own everyone's videos, and you only need to credit the author? Maybe I'm thinking about instagram.

E: Yep, there it is.
YouTube doesn't own any videos and they only have the right to sue them as long as you provide that video to them. If you take your own video down, they can't keep a copy and use it any more. Also, the use they can make of it is limited to "operating, promoting and improving" YouTube. That basically means playing the video on the YouTube website, app and embedded player, or in their advertisements on other platforms.

If a news site wants to embed a YouTube video on a page, they can do that. That's covered under the YouTube licence agreement. The thing is though, they don't want to do that. They want to copy and rehost the video so that they can edit it to just what they want to show, and add their own advertisements and data collection. That's not allowed, but they do it anyway because they basically can't be stopped. Theoretically you could sue them, but you won't. And if you did, they'll just take the video down because it's already been long enough that they've got the vast majority of the views they're going to get so they don't give a poo poo any more - and you've already lost the vast majority of all the views you were ever going to get so there's not really anything in it for you either.

Plank Walker posted:

youtube could just give cnn the video since "news piece that's just a youtube video" is basically an advertisement for youtube and that's for the purpose of promoting the Service
YouTube wants them to use the embedded player, not rehost the video (for the exact same reasons the other website wants the opposite). You might think that this incentivises YouTube to go after those other sites for ripping off their content, but that "non-exclusive" clause gets in the way. They'd have to first verify that the original uploader was the genuine copyright holder and that they hadn't granted the right to publish the video to the other site. Not practical.

Paladinus posted:

I am more than sure Mr. CNN has cleared it with Mr. YouTube. It's not like it's the first time a news corporation used a video from youtube, lmao. I imagine their agreement covers the entire catalogue. If they so desire, they can post this video, and all they'll need to do is mention that it's from youtube.
There is literally no reason for either party to have arranged that. YouTube doesn't want other sites rehosting videos, and other sites don't want to pay YouTube. And there's the practical issue of the original video being taken down, which constitutes revocation of YouTube's rights to use the video, meaning that any other site they allowed to rehost it would also lose such rights. It's a huge hassle for everyone involved and no benefit to anyone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Does the snake have a spine injury or something? Snakes don't really use legs so I don't know if he's really benefitting from it.

Or maybe he just thinks it's cool in which case rock on little buddy

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Snakes don't really use legs so I don't know if he's really benefitting from it.

idk why but the superfluous use of "really" here is killing me

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rgljyrIx681r0uzl6.mp4

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Tiggum posted:

YouTube doesn't own any videos and they only have the right to sue them as long as you provide that video to them. If you take your own video down, they can't keep a copy and use it any more. Also, the use they can make of it is limited to "operating, promoting and improving" YouTube. That basically means playing the video on the YouTube website, app and embedded player, or in their advertisements on other platforms.

I'm pretty sure sourcing a video to a news website counts as promotion, but I'm too lazy to dig deeper into legal implications here. I just vaguely remembered that someone tried to sue either Instagram or Snapchat over a similar case and lost.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Self Help Singh is the life coach we need, but he is too good for us, we do not deserve him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

wisdom

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Millionaire reveals he felt 'guilty' after swapping lives with single mother-of-two who lives on £64 a week and can't always afford to eat on Rich House, Poor House
Roy Ledgister, 48, from Lewis, enjoys £1,750 disposable income a week
In Turnbridge, single mother-of-two Becky Bigginton feeds family on £64 a week
Swapped lives and budgets for a week and are now friends who help each other

quote:

Following the social experiment, which was filmed in the early spring, the pair are still in touch weekly, with the single mother working as an unpaid consultant for Roy's company, as he provides her with mentorship.

:negative:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

He's paying her with the most valuable thing of all: free advice from a man!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is really something else. i need a minute

whats the payout table for "viewers being paid shills/bots"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I've just noticed that the tiger doesn't have ears. He's wearing cat ears headphones instead.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Paladinus posted:

I've just noticed that the tiger doesn't have ears. He's wearing cat ears headphones instead.

Yeah my wife pointed that out and it made me groan even more.

Also the gaming computer is clearly liquid cooled with cum.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Palladium posted:

whats the payout table for "viewers being paid shills/bots"

I mean if it's anything like every other time a company has done something like this, there's plenty of people who will join just to Be Horny at tony the tiger.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shame Boy posted:

Also the gaming computer is clearly liquid cooled with cum.

custom liquid cooling aka #1 proven method to pay more to destroy computers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

God someone in the twitter thread linked this, I completely forgot about this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPcC7cHEhzw

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shame Boy posted:

God someone in the twitter thread linked this, I completely forgot about this moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPcC7cHEhzw

:thunk:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Palladium posted:

custom liquid cooling aka #1 proven method to pay more to destroy computers

it works great when done right

filling your loop with cum/dyed cum is not right

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Warmachine posted:

it works great when done right

filling your loop with cum/dyed cum is not right

I mean, maybe not your cum :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hey, it could just be tax fraud!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
i put in pure distilled water and a tea bag so I get a nice after game cuppa

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

There's more!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8An2SxNFvmU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

He's paying her with the most valuable thing of all: free advice from a man!

This disproves the supply and demand model of economics