Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CelticPredator posted:

I really just want AvP set in Alien era times. New planets, space ships. Throw in marines if you want. AvP can be a little cheesy and fun. Just not edgelord schlock.

I’ve kicked around the idea a few times of an AvP movie where the pitch is colonial marines going to suppress a “labor strike” that’s actually predators using the colonists to seed xenomorphs for a hunt, with the twist that the totally-an-android character this time isn’t an ash/bishop type dude, its a Terminator WY reverse-engineered from one of the T-800s skynet sent back from an alternate future and is deploying to steal predator technology, and this is revealed to the audience when it rips a xeno in half over its head Evangelion style and the fountain of acid blood melts the skin off of its metal endoskeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I’ve kicked around the idea a few times of an AvP movie where the pitch is colonial marines going to suppress a “labor strike” that’s actually predators using the colonists to seed xenomorphs for a hunt, with the twist that the totally-an-android character this time isn’t an ash/bishop type dude, its a Terminator WY reverse-engineered from one of the T-800s skynet sent back from an alternate future and is deploying to steal predator technology, and this is revealed to the audience when it rips a xeno in half over its head Evangelion style and the fountain of acid blood melts the skin off of its metal endoskeleton

This would be incredible.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think that's drat near one of the big dark horse cross overs.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
Now we just need it to cross over with Blade Runner/Soldier

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Predator vs. Metroid, with Samus begrudgingly allowing the Predator to incompetently help hunt aliens and completely ignoring its attempts to fight her

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

brocked posted:

Now we just need it to cross over with Blade Runner/Soldier

"Some motherfuckers are always trying to soldier uphill" -Wesley Snipes as he shoots someone who's hand crystal is blinking

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

OK, can you get your script to Hollywood somehow.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

I'd buy that for a dollar! :imunfunny:

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Martman posted:

Predator vs. Metroid, with Samus begrudgingly allowing the Predator to incompetently help hunt aliens and completely ignoring its attempts to fight her

Predator power dunks morph ball samus into an alien queen.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Azubah posted:

Predator power dunks morph ball samus into an alien queen.

They should make a crossover game that's like Metroid Prime Pinball and every table is Samus' unlikely ally dunking morph ball her into the guts/circuitry of whatever that scenario's big bad is. Like the boss fight in Prime 2 where the entire fight is your as a the morph ball having to do some puzzle stuff to stop this slug from loving up some internal systems that if you could just shoot it even some of your weakest stuff would kill it instantly lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Payndz posted:

Predator vs the Three Stooges.

Clickclickclickclickclick... "Nyucknyucknyucknyucknyuck."

lol

Fun fact about Predator, it's vocals in the original film (probably the later films too, but I don't know) are done by voice actor Peter Cullen, best known as the voice of Optimus Prime.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sigher posted:

lol

Fun fact about Predator, it's vocals in the original film (probably the later films too, but I don't know) are done by voice actor Peter Cullen, best known as the voice of Optimus Prime.
To me, he'll always be KARR from Knight Rider (original and reboot!)

Pretty cool to have played iconic heroes and villains with your voice alone.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

Neo Rasa posted:

They should make a crossover game that's like Metroid Prime Pinball and every table is Samus' unlikely ally dunking morph ball her into the guts/circuitry of whatever that scenario's big bad is. Like the boss fight in Prime 2 where the entire fight is your as a the morph ball having to do some puzzle stuff to stop this slug from loving up some internal systems that if you could just shoot it even some of your weakest stuff would kill it instantly lol

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam and AvP jam up, with Barkley Chaos Dunking and taking out a wave of Aliens.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Samus did the Ripley thing of becoming part Metroid, so I'd just assume she would become part Xeno by the end. I mean, the Metroid series is pretty much firmly Alien vs. The Thing right now with the Chozo as Engineers and not even trying to hide it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I hate that I'm asking a curious question about Alien Resurrection, but was there a rationale or explanation for why it made sense at all that Ripley's clone would also have the queen embryo in it? She's all 'in tune' with the aliens somehow, and then there's that room of failed clones which is honestly one of the most unsettling things in the entire film series. And how did they get her DNA anyway if she went up in the furnace?

No, I'm not going to watch Resurrection to answer these questions.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I rewatch Ressurection every couple of years for the basketball sequence alone.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mister Speaker posted:

I hate that I'm asking a curious question about Alien Resurrection, but was there a rationale or explanation for why it made sense at all that Ripley's clone would also have the queen embryo in it? She's all 'in tune' with the aliens somehow, and then there's that room of failed clones which is honestly one of the most unsettling things in the entire film series. And how did they get her DNA anyway if she went up in the furnace?

No, I'm not going to watch Resurrection to answer these questions.

The implication is that when Clemens (the doctor in Alien3) drew some of her blood he kept it on ice for some reason.

One of the theories for Alien reproduction is that the facehugger isn’t so much planting the embryo inside the host as it’s pumping chemicals into the host which makes the host spontaneously grow the chestburster within it.

The logic is that based on the brief scans we see in the first and third movie, we see the facehugger pumping some sort of fluid into Kane, and Ripley’s scan shows the Queen embryo free floating in her chest cavity with some connective tissue.

Since the Alien is effectively “grown” from the host and contains some of its DNA, the idea is that Ripley’s blood as taken by Clemens would have a mix of Alien stuff floating around in it.

This gets contradicted a bit by AvPR where we literally see the PredAlien pumping embryos down the throats of its victims. Some of the novels and comics stray from the “grown embryo” idea, as well.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It gets resolved if instead of a full on embryo it's just like a membrane with a bunch of the chemicals/black goo/whatever in it that pops once it's inside a body.

I think in Resurrection they say it they got it from her hair that she cut early on in Alien 3?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Darko posted:

Samus did the Ripley thing of becoming part Metroid, so I'd just assume she would become part Xeno by the end. I mean, the Metroid series is pretty much firmly Alien vs. The Thing right now with the Chozo as Engineers and not even trying to hide it.

Speaking of that...

Alien
The Nostromo is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a director named Ridley.

Metroid
Samus is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a space pirate named Ridley.

Aliens
Ripley arrives on LV-426 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Alien is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to finally defeat.

Metroid II: Return of Samus
Samus arrives on SR-388 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Metroid is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to finally defeat.

Alien 3
A single Xenomorph hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first film, the alien has an affinity for Ripley, refusing to harm her.

Super Metroid
A single Metroid hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first game, the alien has an affinity for Samus, refusing to harm her.

Alien Resurrection
Ripley is resurrected and is now part Xenomorph because having one implanted in her was the cause of her death. She’s sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to crash a USM ship that’s become host to a ton of genetically engineered Xenomorph creatures…including a bizarre clone of Ripley herself!

Metroid Fusion
Samus is resurrected and is now part Metroid because having one implanted in her was the cause of her near-death. She’s sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to blow up a GF space station that’s become host to a ton of genetically engineered Metroid-derived creatures…including a bizarre clone of Samus herself!

BUT THEN THE TABLES TURN AND...

Metroid Prime
A prequel where the Metroids are technically around but aren’t the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The game ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal “Metroid.”

Prometheus
A prequel where the Xenomorphs are technically around but aren't the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The film ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal “Xenomorph.”

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
After a rough almost-crash Samus lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Ing, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet’s ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet’s major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills Samus in on the situation. Samus also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before her arrival, with dire consequences for its human passengers.

Alien: Covenant Act I
After a rough almost-crash the Covenant crew lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Neomorphs, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet’s ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet’s major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills them in on the situation. The crew also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before their arrival, with dire consequences for its human passenger.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
A mysterious returning character that’s been around since the beginning sets in motion a plan to replace all sentient life with their own perverse creations by seeding more worlds with mutagenic embryos of their own design.

Alien: Covenant Act II
A mysterious returning character that’s been around since the beginning sets in motion a plan to replace all sentient life with their own perverse creations by seeding more worlds with mutagenic embryos of their own design.

So I haven't played Metroid: Dread yet but I'm assuming whatever Alien movie happens next will follow it pretty closely. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

thotsky posted:

I would say the best Alien game in recent years is Duskers. It has the right mood, setting, gameplay and even the visuals and input method is evocative of truckers in space.

I was searching for something I posted way earlier in this thread and came across this post recommending the game Duskers. I gave it's rad, thank you!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Duskers is really loving dope, it's like a totally immersive puzzle title. It's hard and unforgiving and at the time I played it, it was a dead game without any balancing but the original dev returned and the game is still getting updates apparently, might have to jump back into it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ok, but what's the sci-fi here?

It's good fun to pitch "what if a Predator fights a Samurai", but Prey is specifically set right at the beginning of the Age Of Enlightenment, shortly before the industrial revolution and industrialized capitalism. The world Naru inhabits, with 'coureurs de bois' at the edges of New France, is certainly more alien to us than that of the monster guy. In that context, the Predator can be best understood as a primitivist hoping to escape 'civilization'.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Yo, I loved Prey and just wanted to drop a link in case anyone was interested:

GoFundMe Comanche Language Revitalization: https://www.gofundme.com/f/CLCPC

In case anyone wants to donate the price of a ticket for language preservation. I haven't watched the Comanche track yet though.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 16, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
prey was good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i liked when the predator killed the frenchmen

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 17, 2022

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Neo Rasa posted:

Speaking of that...

Alien
The Nostromo is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a director named Ridley.

Metroid
Samus is given a priority order to land on and investigate a mysterious planet and encounters a bizarre alien parasite amid the wreckage of a long dead advanced alien race. The whole thing is orchestrated by a space pirate named Ridley.

Aliens
Ripley arrives on LV-426 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Alien is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to finally defeat.

Metroid II: Return of Samus
Samus arrives on SR-388 on a mission to eradicate the Metroid species once and for all. A massive Queen Metroid is confronted at the end that requires some creativity to finally defeat.

Alien 3
A single Xenomorph hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first film, the alien has an affinity for Ripley, refusing to harm her.

Super Metroid
A single Metroid hatchling survives and reaches adulthood. On a grim planet with a plot meant to evoke the isolation and tension of the first game, the alien has an affinity for Samus, refusing to harm her.

Alien Resurrection
Ripley is resurrected and is now part Xenomorph because having one implanted in her was the cause of her death. She’s sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to crash a USM ship that’s become host to a ton of genetically engineered Xenomorph creatures…including a bizarre clone of Ripley herself!

Metroid Fusion
Samus is resurrected and is now part Metroid because having one implanted in her was the cause of her near-death. She’s sort of down with this but also hates that this was done to her and makes sure to blow up a GF space station that’s become host to a ton of genetically engineered Metroid-derived creatures…including a bizarre clone of Samus herself!

BUT THEN THE TABLES TURN AND...

Metroid Prime
A prequel where the Metroids are technically around but aren’t the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The game ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal “Metroid.”

Prometheus
A prequel where the Xenomorphs are technically around but aren't the focus at all. Instead, through exploration of the ruins of a long dead empire that spread throughout the galaxy via total mastery of bio-mechanical engineering we piece together both the beliefs of their kind as well as the cause of their downfall. The film ends with a gratuitous appearance of a more primal “Xenomorph.”

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
After a rough almost-crash Samus lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Ing, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet’s ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet’s major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills Samus in on the situation. Samus also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before her arrival, with dire consequences for its human passengers.

Alien: Covenant Act I
After a rough almost-crash the Covenant crew lands on a once heavily populated world that was devastated by the Neomorphs, protean creatures born out of a black goo that causes the entire planet’s ecosystem to change and mutate into a variety of permutations, drastically altering all lifeforms on it. Near the planet’s major temple/spiritual center a lone seemingly helpful survivor fills them in on the situation. The crew also learns about a previous ship that crash landed on the planet not too long before their arrival, with dire consequences for its human passenger.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Alien: Covenant Act II

So I haven't played Metroid: Dread yet but I'm assuming whatever Alien movie happens next will follow it pretty closely. :D

This is amazing, never thought about it before!

Metroid Dread:
The only Metroid in Metroid Dread is Samus herself, and she isn't one anymore at the end IIRC. Or she's cured or something.

There are a couple of Chozo characters you interact with, though.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Love your thinking, but we've got a weedy nerd vs bodybuilder disparity in the casting choices for the robots

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Speleothing posted:

Love your thinking, but we've got a weedy nerd vs bodybuilder disparity in the casting choices for the robots

Yeah but consider the Lance Henriksen connection

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
wrong thread! prey was cool though

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

This thread is for all movies related to aliens, what's the problem?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wolfsheim posted:

Shame; thought you were making a comparison about how Community season 1 was like Alien, season 2 Aliens, etc, and Chevy Chase is Mother or something. (I have never seen Community.)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Payndz posted:

Shame; thought you were making a comparison about how Community season 1 was like Alien, season 2 Aliens, etc, and Chevy Chase is Mother or something. (I have never seen Community.)

this lines up in that the first two movies/seasons were the best its ever gonna be, then after a lull it was slightly good again, but then AvP/etc happens and the metaphor just goes straight out the window

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Myth:

Predators see in infrared.

Reality:

Predators have fairly normal, humanlike colour vision, but are blinded by infrared. They use the masks like sunglasses to protect their eyes - translating the harsh infrared radiation into a pleasant pseudocolour image.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

This is false, as demonstrated by the first movie.

The Predator uses its mask like sunglasses to tone down and filter the overwhelming infrared of the jungle to better see variations in temperature, but its mask-less vision is otherwise an undiluted infrared view. In Predator 2 the Predator gets some POV shots without the mask if I remember right, and the view is normal infrared because the environment is cooler.

Not to mention, in order to be blinded by something, by definition you have to be able to see in that spectrum. It’s why we as humans don’t get blinded by infrared, ultraviolet, or radio waves.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 18, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Payndz posted:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Predators have fairly normal, humanlike colour vision, but are blinded by infrared. They use the masks like sunglasses to protect their eyes - translating the harsh infrared radiation into a pleasant pseudocolour image.

The issue here is that, while this makes sense on the surface, it essentially means that the Predator would blind itself with its own body heat (which it's shown to definitely have in Predator 1).

It's an interesting idea though, that the Predator might not just have "human vision", but a separate organ that detects infrared. Sharks actually have something like that for electrical activity. Rendering this sense on top of a shark's "regular vision" would probably look a lot like the Predator's "thermal vision" except the POV would be seeing everyone's central nervous system instead of their heat map. Then of course it could be run through a filter so that a buried power line doesn't fry out the image.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The issue here is that, while this makes sense on the surface, it essentially means that the Predator would blind itself with its own body heat (which it's shown to definitely have in Predator 1).

Infrared is a spectrum in and of itself, so thermal infrared may just be uncomfortable to them. (I presume that they evolved on a fairly cold planet, which explains why they don't wear pants on Earth.) In any case, Predator 1 clearly shows the character's POV with the mask off, and everything in the (to us, mostly-green) environment appears as a red mess until they put the helmet on, at which point they can see a nice rainbow.

Xenomrph posted:

In Predator 2 the Predator gets some POV shots without the mask if I remember right, and the view is normal infrared because the environment is cooler.

That's an error; the rainbow colours of "normal infrared" are generated by the machine to help with visualization. Predator 2 is NON-CANON.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 18, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

rofl okay

Thermal and infrared are the same thing fyi

Edit— I am canon

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 18, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

(I presume that they evolved on a fairly cold planet, which explains why they don't wear pants on Earth.)

A cold but also kinky planet-- hence the fishnet covering their entire bodies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The fishnets help them get warm!