Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Probably Goldberg for me. Cena is Cena and Undertaker is probably the truest version of a WWE legend but Goldberg is a guy that was most popular 25 years ago and didn't even seem to mean much to the WWE.

I think this. The Fiend is dogshit but the way he was positioned he shouldn't be getting squashed Goldberg style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, that's that.

Second question, have there ever been any male valets, for either a woman or man wrestler? Do any women even have managers? I don't think I could name one but I haven't paid attention to anything past 2001.

Mayumi Ozaki has been managed by POLICE for decades

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, that's that.

Second question, have there ever been any male valets, for either a woman or man wrestler? Do any women even have managers? I don't think I could name one but I haven't paid attention to anything past 2001.

Paul Bearer is surely the most famous

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh, yes.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

NikkolasKing posted:

Which Bray/Fiend loss is the most baffling?

I know not everyone is wild on him but the strange thing about him is they'd build him up, build him up, and then pull the rug out from under him right when he needed a win. And this happened over and over and over again with Cena, Undertaker, Goldberg.... Probably others I'm forgetting. I've never seen anything like it, putting in a lot of effort only to sabotage all your efforts at the end.
I would say the Box Like Structure match vs Orton, but I suppose it makes more sense if they already knew he was being released by then

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Probably Goldberg for me. Cena is Cena and Undertaker is probably the truest version of a WWE legend but Goldberg is a guy that was most popular 25 years ago and didn't even seem to mean much to the WWE.
Baffling but not surprising imo. For some reason WWE can’t help themselves with Goldberg, he’s like the only 100% WCW guy that they’ve booked consistently strong, and at the expense of their own roster.

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Minidust posted:

Baffling but not surprising imo. For some reason WWE can’t help themselves with Goldberg, he’s like the only 100% WCW guy that they’ve booked consistently strong, and at the expense of their own roster.
Berg did lose to taker in Saudi Arabia when the match was promoted as a clash of Monday night war vets but otherwise yea.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I think the original idea was for Goldberg to be a belt pillow between Fiend and Roman Reigns, but then Covid happened and Reigns went away. Not sure why you couldn't have just run Fiend/Roman.

Anyway my most baffling Bray loss is this, from Fastlane '16:

quote:

Big Show, Kane, and Ryback defeated The Wyatt Family (Braun Strowman, Erick Rowan and Luke Harper) (with Bray Wyatt)

like, why

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Anyway my most baffling Bray loss is this, from Fastlane '16:

like, why
um

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

did he eat the pin in a match he wasn't even part of because that definitely would be a baffling loss

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He lost in spirit

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Well, that's that.

Do Dalton Castle's boys count as valets? Also, same question but with 3 Count and Tank Abbot.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How do you figure wrestlers apply to work in other promotions that may be unfamiliar with their work? Do you try to show them some matches of what you're capable of? For example, if you have a tryout match but it doesn't go well because of extenuating circumstances, can you go to the promoter and go "but wait! I am actually good! Look at this match I had!" and then show them that match or something?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Has Tessa Blanchard seriously not worked ANYWHERE in 2 years? I mean, good, but holy poo poo that's hard to do in 2022.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

How do you figure wrestlers apply to work in other promotions that may be unfamiliar with their work? Do you try to show them some matches of what you're capable of? For example, if you have a tryout match but it doesn't go well because of extenuating circumstances, can you go to the promoter and go "but wait! I am actually good! Look at this match I had!" and then show them that match or something?

Unironically probably youtube.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Has Tessa Blanchard seriously not worked ANYWHERE in 2 years? I mean, good, but holy poo poo that's hard to do in 2022.

She is or was a part of Women Of Wrestling (https://wowe.com/) though a glance at the roster doesn’t seem to show her there.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

From what I've heard, in ye olden days (20 years ago), you'd send them a DVD or VHS but now it's just a Youtube link, either to a comp video or just a playlist with a bunch of matches to show you strutting your stuff.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

TV Zombie posted:

She is or was a part of Women Of Wrestling (https://wowe.com/) though a glance at the roster doesn’t seem to show her there.

She had a backstage role there, but was semi-released before they launched. Here's some information that I could find:
https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2022/05/backstage-news-on-tessa-blanchard-wow/

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

From what I've heard, in ye olden days (20 years ago), you'd send them a DVD or VHS but now it's just a Youtube link, either to a comp video or just a playlist with a bunch of matches to show you strutting your stuff.

Yeah, Lance Storm and Jericho have talked about sending tapes to promoters, like Cornette and such. I recall them saying something nice about a guy who took the time to write back personally even though he didn't have a spot for them, but I forget who.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Well, CYN had to cancel all their shows, so

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Goodness. Is she really that toxic? I mean I buy it if so, but like you say look at other people who still work.

That does seem like a shame, too. She's Tully's kid and Magnum TA's step-daughter. That's as condensed Jim Crockett Promotions as you can get.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Goodness. Is she really that toxic? I mean I buy it if so, but like you say look at other people who still work.

That does seem like a shame, too. She's Tully's kid and Magnum TA's step-daughter. That's as condensed Jim Crockett Promotions as you can get.
it's because the industry doesn't #respectfemalevets op

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

thoughts on taz's take here?

https://twitter.com/officialtaz/status/1559740741282398210?s=21&t=WvR6U5fDboy94JPhuLRdzw

disregarding this place or the internet as a whole does anyone else use wrestling vocab in regular conversations?

once in a while I'll use pop or mark since it is pretty apparent from context what they mean. if I actually talk wrestling with someone I will gauge how much of a nerd they are before breaking out vernacular. would never do it to a wrestler's face, feels disrespectful but maybe that's just me

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Critical posted:

thoughts on taz's take here?

https://twitter.com/officialtaz/status/1559740741282398210?s=21&t=WvR6U5fDboy94JPhuLRdzw

disregarding this place or the internet as a whole does anyone else use wrestling vocab in regular conversations?

once in a while I'll use pop or mark since it is pretty apparent from context what they mean. if I actually talk wrestling with someone I will gauge how much of a nerd they are before breaking out vernacular. would never do it to a wrestler's face, feels disrespectful but maybe that's just me

I think it's fair from Taz. Frankly wrestling fans use the lingo more than actual wrestlers do from my experience of when I was in locker rooms with people and so it just comes off as very very tryhard when using it speaking to actual wrestlers.

My one caveat is that alot of the terms are very funny and handy to use especially outside of the context of wrestling, describing bad guys in movies as the heels will always be a good time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My impression from shoot interviews (which are works, I know) is that wrestlers use wrestling lingo all of the time, especially in non-wrestling situations. My son said he was going to the library but I knew he was kayfabing, so I cut a promo on him

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My take is that wrestling fans saying they mark out or popped or whatever is not cringe, because those are terms related to the fan side of things. The rest, I can kinda see it.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Calling someone a mark is the most cringe thing a wrestling fan can say.

It is however acceptable to use the phrases: jobber, no sell, kayfabe and work.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
And stuff like babyface or heel has filtered into general nerd slang thanks to sites like TVTropes. Still, there's definitely a line where it stops being slang people can easily understand through context clues and becomes cringe.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm with him on this. It's very annoying to me when people say poo poo like "that popped me" or talk about something being a shoot because it's a regular thing that happened in real life. Dan Ryckert has been doing this a lot on Giant Bomb since coming back and I find it pretty grating. I don't know why, something about it just rubs me the wrong way and sounds very dumb.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Taz is not exactly well-known for his nuanced feelings about things. Plus, what, do you have to actively make a living in professional wrestling to be allowed use the terms? What if JOOONY is an indie guy???

Other than referring to ourselves as "marks for [wrestler]" (usually in the sense of that person not being hugely popular overall), I would say the only insider lingo I ever heard any of the guys from my old indy fed use in normal life were, like, "bladed" if someone cut themselves obviously unintentionally or "no sell" usually when someone did not laugh at something or flinch when somebody pretended to hit him or whatever dumb carny bullshit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Calling someone a mark is the most cringe thing a wrestling fan can say.

It is however acceptable to use the phrases: jobber, no sell, kayfabe and work.

what if i call myself a mark for someone

bartok
May 10, 2006

Only when talking politics and prestige TV shows. I always thought it was kinda disrespectful to use them when actually interacting with somebody involved with pro wrestling.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurks With Wolves posted:

And stuff like babyface or heel has filtered into general nerd slang thanks to sites like TVTropes. Still, there's definitely a line where it stops being slang people can easily understand through context clues and becomes cringe.

This conversation makes me think of an Avengers comic from a few years ago where Cannonball and Sunspot went into the future and were talking themselves up in a bar about being badass Avengers. Then they mentioned how they took down Thanos and the patrons got all angry and rowdy because Thanos is a goddamn hero who saved their lives multiple times and he's considered the greatest Avenger ever.

One of them said, "That's a faceturn I was not expecting," and I had a laugh.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ganso Bomb posted:

I'm with him on this. It's very annoying to me when people say poo poo like "that popped me" or talk about something being a shoot because it's a regular thing that happened in real life. Dan Ryckert has been doing this a lot on Giant Bomb since coming back and I find it pretty grating. I don't know why, something about it just rubs me the wrong way and sounds very dumb.

to be fair anything dan ryckert does is pretty grating, but at least he's not actively trying to be a heel in real life anymore

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I will refer to things as gimmicks or as being gimmicked until the day I die

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think a lot of stuff like heel and face is just Popular Culture Speak now. That said were I talking to somebody who was actually in the business I probably wouldn't even use that. Less common terms like kayfabe can kinda come off as awkward in conversation. And I always thought 'heat' was for heels but some folks use that as a catch-all for crowd reaction but I don't think that's right?

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
please don’t tell taz i say ‘oh hi mark’ in order to disguise my wrestling lingo use under a more respectable wiseau façade

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Everyone should use more and more wrestling slang until we perfect the Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo of using gimmick, i.e. This gimmick's gimmick was that he had a gimmicked gimmick that he sold as a gimmick

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edge & Christian posted:

Everyone should use more and more wrestling slang until we perfect the Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo of using gimmick, i.e. This gimmick's gimmick was that he had a gimmicked gimmick that he sold as a gimmick

You mean the Tatanka tatanka Tatanka tatanka tatanka tatanka Tatanka tatanka, surely.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

don't forget to throw in a "give mick" pronounced gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I will refer to things as gimmicks or as being gimmicked until the day I die

I think this makes sense because it's not a word specific to wrestling. Same with heels and babyfaces. As a smarky young kid, I was confused the first time I saw "heel" used in a book because I thought it was just a wrestling word as I'd never heard anyone use it anywhere else in the context of "this person is a bad guy".