Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well it's always been their nature to extract as much money as possible, pushing over time further and further to extract as much money as people will put up with. The original premise of cable TV was that you'd pay so you wouldn't have to watch commercials, too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If the big TV networks wouldn't have just sit by as Netflix dominated the market at the start, we'd have always had commercials during streaming.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
The thing about ads is it’s also smoke and mirrors.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Crowsbeak posted:

The thing about ads is it’s also smoke and mirrors.

I work in marketing and it’s only a slight step above wearing a wizard hat and looking into a crystal ball.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Mozi posted:

it got me to sign up for paramount plus... 50 bucks/year isn't bad but i hate that there are ads at that price tier

lol yeah i watched the SNW premier with my parents on P+ and was real surprised there's like 20 minutes of long rear end ads...

they seemed to enjoy it but thought the nuclear war planet was supposed to be Seattle (the libs destroyed the city you see) and got real confused about why Spock was there because isn't he old??

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I just watched Retrospect (VOY 4-16) and wow was it uncomfortable to watch in TYOOL 2022. The glossing over of a possible assault due to some (plausible) circumstantial evidence and the guy killing himself was real bad.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

MakaVillian posted:

I just watched Retrospect (VOY 4-16) and wow was it uncomfortable to watch in TYOOL 2022. The glossing over of a possible assault due to some (plausible) circumstantial evidence and the guy killing himself was real bad.

The episode hits differently now than it did in 1998, because one big political issue now is the MeToo movement and people not believing claims of sexual assault or rape.

In 1998, the big issue in psychology and the news was recovered memory therapy and false memory syndrome, where well meaning psychologists would convince people they were victims of sexual abuse which they had repressed, which ked to a bunch of false accusations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

appropriatemetaphor posted:

they seemed to enjoy it but thought the nuclear war planet was supposed to be Seattle (the libs destroyed the city you see) and got real confused about why Spock was there because isn't he old??

The profound lack of media literacy some people have will always astound me lmao

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Or just... Any ability to process what's going on around them at all. These are the people who bought an HD TV but continued happily watching the 4:3 SD channels on their cable package - stretched out to 16:9. But act like you're the fussy cineste if you insist on fixing it. Probably have the motion smoothing on 24/7 too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Imagined posted:

Or just... Any ability to process what's going on around them at all. These are the people who bought an HD TV but continued happily watching the 4:3 SD channels on their cable package - stretched out to 16:9. But act like you're the fussy cineste if you insist on fixing it. Probably have the motion smoothing on 24/7 too.

lol my in laws are probably annoyed because i turn off motion interpolation every time i watch tv at their house

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Epicurius posted:

The episode hits differently now than it did in 1998, because one big political issue now is the MeToo movement and people not believing claims of sexual assault or rape.

In 1998, the big issue in psychology and the news was recovered memory therapy and false memory syndrome, where well meaning psychologists would convince people they were victims of sexual abuse which they had repressed, which ked to a bunch of false accusations.

Oh 100% it's because its 2022. I think a bit of my disappointment was because I thought Seven was vindicated at the end rather than...not

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

HD DAD posted:

The profound lack of media literacy some people have will always astound me lmao

i used to watch marvel movies with my mom, because she liked marvel movies but had absolutely no ability to understand what was happening during these simple-rear end action movies. so at her request i'd explain every detail. not like, comics continuity, but more like what just happened and who that guy is.

old people, amirite?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i used to watch marvel movies with my mom, because she liked marvel movies but had absolutely no ability to understand what was happening during these simple-rear end action movies. so at her request i'd explain every detail. not like, comics continuity, but more like what just happened and who that guy is.

old people, amirite?

We always had to do this with my dad for any movie unless it was one he'd seen like a dozen times. And this was even when he was just in his 40s.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HD DAD posted:

To be fair, that was like 30 years ago. People just don't know about it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Bouncing around and Star Trekking it up and got to episode 15 Season 2 Pen Pals and I like that the whole crew gets together and starts discussing the prime directive and Picard is like " Nope they gotta die , sorry"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Bouncing around and Star Trekking it up and got to episode 15 Season 2 Pen Pals and I like that the whole crew gets together and starts discussing the prime directive and Picard is like " Nope they gotta die , sorry"

The problem was, it was a kid who got hold of Data. Picard found that out, and....

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Just got to The Samaritan Snare which is the only time we get a introduction of the Pakleds which I kind of miss the fact that we didn't get more Pakled stories because their a interesting race

Worf is like "Do we need to send our CHIEF engineer"

Honestly if they listened to Worf a lot more in TNG they'd probably be shorter episodes.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 19, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Just got to The Samaritan Snare which is the only time we get a introduction of the Pakleds which I kind of miss the fact that we didn't get more Pakled stories because their a interesting race

They're a series main antagonist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h96_pQurLeA

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is kind of hilarious that Odo takes Worf to task for all the security breaches on the Enterprise when his primary duty as Security Chief was to be ignored at every step.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Worf is like "Do we need to send our CHIEF engineer"

Honestly if they listened to Worf a lot more in TNG they'd probably be shorter episodes.

it’s funny before seeing them pop up a bunch on lower decks i had no memory of them. but they’ve been on a few episodes spanning the shows but i assume mostly just background aside from TNG:TSS

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/Pakled

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
Up to the TNG episode with Lal. Considering editing together an alternate intro that uses the same theme but replaces everyone's credits with "Brent Spiner as Lt. Commander Data" set to footage of Data. I like episodes where you can see Picard think "I really should have anticipated that this could happen and now I have to have The Talk with him post-facto, this 'being a father' thing is difficult."

MakaVillian posted:

This sounds like the episode where Riker is accused of murder and by his own testimony (and the holodeck recreation) he acts like Picard but by everyone elses story he really just acts like Riker, down to the guy killing himself. I mean, it was no Broca Divide, but is this another thing where sci fi writers go "oh boy, new franchise, time to sell literally my worst script again"?

Also, question regarding continuity because this is my first TNG viewing, is it like X Files where I should stop between certain seasons for a particular movie, or is the correct viewing order all the episodes followed by the movies?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tv then movies

theoretically ds9 if you care came on the year before generations

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Not Evans posted:

Also, question regarding continuity because this is my first TNG viewing, is it like X Files where I should stop between certain seasons for a particular movie, or is the correct viewing order all the episodes followed by the movies?

The movies were made after the series, so you're ok watching the TNG movies after the show.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Epicurius posted:

you're ok watching the TNG movies after the show.

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

infernal machines posted:

Frankly, I wouldn't recommend it
Watch the one with Frakes and Sirtis doing the commentary. He spends half of it making fun of Patrick Stewart and she literally can't remember being in the movie.

It's great.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Not Evans posted:

This sounds like the episode where Riker is accused of murder and by his own testimony (and the holodeck recreation) he acts like Picard but by everyone elses story he really just acts like Riker, down to the guy killing himself. I mean, it was no Broca Divide, but is this another thing where sci fi writers go "oh boy, new franchise, time to sell literally my worst script again"?

I like how the trope of "someone in our trusted cast has been accused of murder by aliens and put on trial and they have zero defense or alibi!" is so common in just about every SF show.

It's at the point that I literally want an episode of a show where a main cast member is accused of killing someone and everyone on the alien planet* just goes, "Its cool, you don't even live on this planet, that guy was an rear end in a top hat, the court already had the trial and decided it was justified so you're free and clear, see ya."

(*Other than the Klingons.)

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

you're right, house of quark was a great episode

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Mx. posted:

you're right, house of quark was a great episode

Thats what I was thinking of, but I want more of everyone just wringing their hands at the trial portion of it being "We literally don't care that you killed that guy" while the main characters are more like, "We DIDN'T kill anyone! Reopen the case! We're not leaving here until you admit we didn't kill anyone!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JediTalentAgent posted:

Thats what I was thinking of, but I want more of everyone just wringing their hands at the trial portion of it being "We literally don't care that you killed that guy" while the main characters are more like, "We DIDN'T kill anyone! Reopen the case! We're not leaving here until you admit we didn't kill anyone!"
Janeway getting increasingly angry that they keep agreeing that Paris didn't kill a guy but it's clearly just because they're worried she'll photon torpedo the capital and she wants them to mean it.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Aug 19, 2022

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
watching the orville season 3 and i like that it opens with, in order, a ds9 episode, a voyager episode, and a tng episode

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Splicer posted:

Janeway getting increasingly angry that they keep agreeing that Paris didn't kill a guy but it's clearly just because they're worried she'll photon torpedo the capital and she wants them to mean it.

This is how bad my memory is with Voyager: I literally can't tell if that's a real episode or not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

JediTalentAgent posted:

This is how bad my memory is with Voyager: I literally can't tell if that's a real episode or not.
I think I made it up but I'm not making any promises.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Minera posted:

watching the orville season 3 and i like that it opens with, in order, a ds9 episode, a voyager episode, and a tng episode

They've also done a few shows that feel exactly like Sliders scripts with the character names changed.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

They've also done a few shows that feel exactly like Sliders scripts with the character names changed.

man sliders could be so loving good today. i would be extremely down for a reboot. i've always been a sucker for parallel dimension media

as is it is absolutely not worth watching past john rhys davies

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Sliders is a great show if you stop at right time. If they rebooted jerry o'connell would insist to still be in it somehow and it would be very bad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

mediaphage posted:

man sliders could be so loving good today. i would be extremely down for a reboot. i've always been a sucker for parallel dimension media

Wayne Knight posted:

Sliders is a great show if you stop at right time. If they rebooted jerry o'connell would insist to still be in it somehow and it would be very bad.

Oh my god this was nine years ago but it's still great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtasHWLKWSM

And hey, O'Connell is doing awesome on Lower Decks, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Sliders peaked when they went to a dimension of vampires and Tommy Chong was a vampire hunter and Hyde from That '70s Show was the head vampire and had a guitar that shot laser beams.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Oh my god this was nine years ago but it's still great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtasHWLKWSM

And hey, O'Connell is doing awesome on Lower Decks, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

lmao holy poo poo id never seen this

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

The "standing next to portal about to close" always gives me anxiety lol

Like on SG-1 when oniell kinda stops and looks around. Like go through dude poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

appropriatemetaphor posted:

The "standing next to portal about to close" always gives me anxiety lol

Like on SG-1 when oniell kinda stops and looks around. Like go through dude poo poo!!

But like it's always just good to stop for a second and think like "did I remember my keys? My wallet? My phone? anything else I need to remember" Pretty sure it costs $10'000 everytime the use the gate, they air force are 100% not going to let you go back and get your keys just because you left them on a rock somewhere on another planet.