Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

She definitely didn't have those Norn-style chest plates before. I'm hoping she got put in line by force rather than simply seeing the way the wind was blowing. Because villainous infighting is fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

Both "Sunlit Marsh" and "Molten Tributary" sound like enemy paired duals, but "Radiant Grove" sounds like a GW land, so maybe there's going to be all 10 combinations in the set?

yeah that's what I figured. I wonder what the gimmick will be this time

my guess is etb untapped versions of the bounce lands, except you have to return a typed land to hand. e.g. "Sunlit Marsh - Land - When ~ etb's, sacrifice it unless you return an untapped Plains or Swamp you control to its owner's hand. - Add WB." Like Karoo, but it's a typeless dual land

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I've been playing a bunch of MTG Arena and it's got me jonesing to play paper magic again after not having owned any cards since I was a kid. I've got some RL friends looking to start back up too and we can all set our money on fire during game night. My paper collection was lost to time so I'm back to square 1. What's the best way to hop in? The starter kit is only $10 and seems a halfway decent way to get the ball rolling. Or maybe talk my buds into some draft boosters? Also are there any "shitload of lands/tokens" collections or just make some stand-ins from whatever?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Horace Kinch posted:

I've been playing a bunch of MTG Arena and it's got me jonesing to play paper magic again after not having owned any cards since I was a kid. I've got some RL friends looking to start back up too and we can all set our money on fire during game night. My paper collection was lost to time so I'm back to square 1. What's the best way to hop in? The starter kit is only $10 and seems a halfway decent way to get the ball rolling. Or maybe talk my buds into some draft boosters? Also are there any "shitload of lands/tokens" collections or just make some stand-ins from whatever?

It depends what you and your friends plan to do:
If you plan to just play against eachother I would recomoend buying a box of CL2 draft boosters. Let tat be your gateway into EDH and work from there.
If you plan to go to your LGS and play in FNMs and weeklies, then find out what formats your LGS plays before: Either drafting a standard collection targeting a non-rotating deck (pioneer, modern, ect)

CL2 (Battle for Baulder's gate, make sure you get the draft boosters and not the set boosters) is still relatively cheap (the set kinda sucked, but the draft-commander experience is supposed to be pretty good I'm told) and since you're only ever playing against each other, it'll be ok that the cards you'll own aren't the best ones. You're never going to play against a Full Power Feldon of the Third Path uberCombtacular. SO you and 3 friends can get a good start for about 130+shipping.
Alternitively building for 60 cards requires a different in-row. the CL2 cards will only be playable in Legacy, where they're pretty bad (except my boy Sailors' Bane). SO you'll need actual cards and those cost money and are rarely in starter kits. There you either buy the 75 cards that interest you the most for the format you'll play and that gets real expensive real fast. Which is why you should use the standard pipeline of: Draft most current set -> use draft acquisitions to build a standard deck -> use the cards that rotated out to build a pioneer deck -> modern -> legacy -> therapy. (skip vintage)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 17, 2022

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Ok lol I guess I was wrong, looks like the "legend people have been asking for" probably is Gix

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

another option to look into, if it's just you and your friends, is tabletop simulator. it's $15 last I checked, and you can have all the fun of playing magic without having to buy into it. you just load the cards into the game and you can play with them as if you were playing at the kitchen table, except virtually

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

kalel posted:

another option to look into, if it's just you and your friends, is tabletop simulator. it's $15 last I checked, and you can have all the fun of playing magic without having to buy into it. you just load the cards into the game and you can play with them as if you were playing at the kitchen table, except virtually

cockatrice is free if digital is what they want to do

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Playing at a kitchen table and making the losers do a shot is our goal, so we're pretty committed to paper.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Horace Kinch posted:

Playing at a kitchen table and making the losers do a shot is our goal, so we're pretty committed to paper.

I stand by commander then; It's a high variance format (since it's singleton) but also TCC advertises those 10 dollar theme decks that you might want if you're comitted to 60 cards.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74ssC2Y1Do

In where Spice8Rack tries to play a deck that was randomly generated by A.I.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/shards-nightmares-2022-08-17

Well gently caress.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Urza is rolling in his grave

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

the Orb of Zot posted:

Urza is rolling in his grave

Doubtful unless he can pay 5 generic mana

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ngl i don't usually read the mtg story posts but both the main one and the side stories have been good this time around. lots of poo poo happening, all at once

maybe it's just that the stakes are so high and we're back to characters i'm familiar with?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It's weird that one talks about 'years' worth of phyrexian invasion. Are they just jumping all over the place?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Reminds me of that time in the Harry Potter books where Ron treats his dad's car like poo poo, it gains sentience and kicks their asses out of itself, while driving itself into the forest nearby never to be heard from again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

So they put Phyrexian poo poo on the Weatherlight as camouflage but it ended up becoming Phyrexian for real? Did I read that right

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So they put Phyrexian poo poo on the Weatherlight as camouflage but it ended up becoming Phyrexian for real? Did I read that right

Yes. It turns out this corrosive oil that poisoned and corrupted an entire plane is bad actually.

In the worldbuilding vid they played this up as a long term goal of the Phyrexians but, nope.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes. It turns out this corrosive oil that poisoned and corrupted an entire plane is bad actually.

In the worldbuilding vid they played this up as a long term goal of the Phyrexians but, nope.

*Pours corrupting nanomachine oil all over the deck of ship* There's no way this is a bad idea

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

How did the Phyrexian Oil come into existence in the first place? Was this Yawgmoth's like ultimate creation or something?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiro posted:

How did the Phyrexian Oil come into existence in the first place? Was this Yawgmoth's like ultimate creation or something?

Yeah, Yawgmoth made it after remaking Phyrexia, it's oil that he dumped a bunch of Thran powestones into to make an essential oil that can do anything. as long as anything is Phyrexian horrors

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I wasn't super into Magic lore earlier on so I went to the wikipedia to read about the Nine Titans after seeing that image and it just sounds so stupid.

Aha, Mr. Szat, I needed moral justification to kill you to power a super weapon to stop a murderous plane bent on assimilating the universe so I let you kill two other planeswalkers first. What the gently caress?

And then when he actually can destroy the plane he's just like nope too much interesting stuff here? The guy who has devoted his millennia long existence to wiping them out? Bizarre stuff.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

mikeraskol posted:

I wasn't super into Magic lore earlier on so I went to the wikipedia to read about the Nine Titans after seeing that image and it just sounds so stupid.

Aha, Mr. Szat, I needed moral justification to kill you to power a super weapon to stop a murderous plane bent on assimilating the universe so I let you kill two other planeswalkers first. What the gently caress?

And then when he actually can destroy the plane he's just like nope too much interesting stuff here? The guy who has devoted his millennia long existence to wiping them out? Bizarre stuff.

Urza is an antihero. His selfishness has destroyed Dominaria, past present and future

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

mikeraskol posted:

Urza wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was a big big believer in being mad at stuff and blowing poo poo up drat the consequences. A true American.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Even then that final turn doesn't sit right with me, since this is the guy obsessed with stopping Phyrexia for millenias. But ah well, that whole saga was a fun ride anyway.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jiro posted:

Urza wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed,

He was lookin kinda dumb with his finger and his thumb in the shape of a on his forehead

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He was lookin kinda dumb with his finger and his thumb in the shape of a on his forehead

lmao

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

flatluigi posted:

ngl i don't usually read the mtg story posts but both the main one and the side stories have been good this time around. lots of poo poo happening, all at once

maybe it's just that the stakes are so high and we're back to characters i'm familiar with?

as it turns out doing worldbuilding to you know build a world instead of propping up a theme park attraction lends itself to good storytelling

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Theres an mtg theme park?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

dragon enthusiast posted:

as it turns out doing worldbuilding to you know build a world instead of propping up a theme park attraction lends itself to good storytelling

Yeah, I think this is the most I've cared about Magic's story since, like, the Khans of Tarkir era

A large portion of which is fueled by "Hey, that character I remember offhandedly from when I was in 8th grade! What's that crazy rascal been up to sinc-- Oh no. Oh no!"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiro posted:

Urza wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was a big big believer in being mad at stuff and blowing poo poo up drat the consequences. A true American.

Urza was written as like 20 shades of crazy and catatonically depressed. After he invades Phyrexia for the first time and gets Yawgmothed to near death, he flees to Serra's realm and she heals him up for ages during which the Phyrexians figure out how to follow him and completely destroy Serra's realm, womp womp. After that Urza returns to dominaria and is useless leading to his pet Phyrexian having her boyfriend pretend to be Mishra to motivate him enough to kill a bunch of Phyrexian infiltrators. Then they die killing Gix and that motivates Urza enough to gently caress around with Time college and then that blows up too and then it's time for eugenics and super weapons.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

mikeraskol posted:

It's obviously totally ludicrous but as a kid reading it I got all excited because it brought back a bunch of obscure little known planeswalkers from earlier sets (to unceremoniously kill them) and Tevesh Szat is just a gleeful bastard. Also...Commander Guff or something? That old guy who kinda broke the 4th wall a bunch of the time? it was fun.

Plus they were in cool looking mech suits. Invasion was fun, except Apocalypse was kind of a wet fart of an ending.

This reminds me, it would be cool to have a set take place in the time of the Thran

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

A Thran-era set would be dope and would give an excuse to reprint Yawgmoth Thran Physician into standard :getin:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Congratulations to MTG for existing long enough to generate its own nostalgia, makes it much easier to rake in those nostalgia bucks off the thing from decades ago that many people were sick of at the time.

It's like that old quote about the flaws in a medium (VHS tracking, record needle hiss, etc) being what people are fondest of.

Hell I'm not above it either, I loved all the references in Time Spiral and hope the Braids card is cool, gimme da slop please.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A Thran-era set would be dope and would give an excuse to reprint Yawgmoth Thran Physician into standard :getin:

wtf did your avatar always cycle

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even then that final turn doesn't sit right with me, since this is the guy obsessed with stopping Phyrexia for millenias. But ah well, that whole saga was a fun ride anyway.

He was pretty insane and detached from humanity at that point, and then Yawgmoth trolled him into completely giving in to his obsession with the "perfection" of machines.

Kind of far-fetched but still a pretty good story.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mandatory lesbian posted:

Theres an mtg theme park?

Its a critique of the one-and-done planar visits. We basically don't spend any time there so everything we know about the plane is reduced to a theme park. The city of New Capenna is some mobster world theme park. Kaladesh is Epcot Magic: The Subcontinent, ect ect.
Meanwhile dominria, is a fully fleshed out world because it's the only one that's basically an Erath.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah it was one of those storytelling devices that could have totally worked if it had just been established a little better in the narrative. If you actually read the novelizations, it flows well enough to not come across completely stupid, but it ain't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

wtf did your avatar always cycle

It’s been that way for months