Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

All racing games that aren't burnout or wipeout are terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2XLqrWvd6I

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
f-zero exists cretin

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

There has never been a good video game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

There has never been a video game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A post I can get behind.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

yup. See also Scorched Earth.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ohtori Akio posted:

f-zero exists cretin

Yeah point still stands

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah point still stands

let me clarify: a strict upgrade to wipeout exists

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

Speaking of racing stock sedans, did anyone ever play the Initial D arcade games? The one where you had a physical card the machine printed for you to save your record and progress? That game was awesome.

I played the one in odaiba that has the actual cars you sit in but I was very bad at it lol

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Earwicker posted:

also while not exactly a normal "racing game" there was an indie game a few years back, i cant remember the name but it takes place in some post-soviet country and your uncle gives you some old beater of a lada or a volga or whatever and your job is to fix it up with parts and getting it running and then start tear assing around eastern europe. it was janky of course but i thought it was a great idea and would love to see more games in that direction

I think you're conflating two games. There's My Summer Car which is about being a poor rear end teen in 1990s Finland and trying to rebuild a car from pieces and buying speed parts for it, and there's Jalopy which is a procgen roadtrip thing where your uncle gives you an old Trabant and says you're going to drive to some far-away country with him in it, and the entire time you're trying to keep it fueled up and running by smuggling sausages past border guards to resell at a higher price and scavenging other cars you find on the side of the road.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

satanic splash-back posted:

Oh yeah that would be pretty cool. I don't think I've played any decent sim game with buggies and stuff like that in it

1nsane was pretty good, loads of additional mods for it. pretty old game though.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
how in the hell do you play Dishonored with low chaos?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

i know right the game is bad enough as it is but then you decide to not even use any of the powers? would have saved money and had more fun if you'd bought a brick and smashed yourself in the head with it

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

low chaos corvo is a psychopath. there's a perfect explanation for why corvo wants to kill these people, maybe even without killing every single guard. kidnapping lady boyle, however, and delivering her unconscious to her stalker who promises to keep her out of sight forever is uhh

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

QuarkJets posted:

i know right the game is bad enough as it is but then you decide to not even use any of the powers? would have saved money and had more fun if you'd bought a brick and smashed yourself in the head with it

You can do low chaos with powers. You just have to not kill everybody

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

low chaos corvo is a psychopath. there's a perfect explanation for why corvo wants to kill these people, maybe even without killing every single guard. kidnapping lady boyle, however, and delivering her unconscious to her stalker who promises to keep her out of sight forever is uhh

don't worry she's not real and isn't actually going to be held prisoner by a stalker or harmed in any way

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I killed like a billion mooks in dishonored and took the lethal option on half the objectives and still got the good ending. They give you so much leeway you have to purposefully go out of your way to get the evil ending.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

don't worry she's not real and isn't actually going to be held prisoner by a stalker or harmed in any way

They said the character is a psychopath, not the players choosing those options. You're jumping at shadows.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

maybe you haven't watched hit TV documentary series ReBoot.....

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Genres I refuse to play any more (or ever):

MOBA
MMORPG
RTS
ARPG
Any sports game that's tied to professional sports (except golf)
Any non-arcade style racing game (also any F-Zero, hate em)

You can disagree with me and that's okay. This is a safe space.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

galagazombie posted:

I killed like a billion mooks in dishonored and took the lethal option on half the objectives and still got the good ending. They give you so much leeway you have to purposefully go out of your way to get the evil ending.

the chaos version of the last level is better anyway

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

neato burrito posted:

MOBA
MMORPG
RTS
ARPG

Looks like you're still down for Battle Royale so you're cool with me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Would have been shorter to list the genres of games you do play

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

neato burrito posted:

MOBA
MMORPG
RTS
ARPG

a dating gamer huh, cool

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Looks like you're still down for Battle Royale so you're cool with me

Only Tetris 99, and Mario 35 when it was available (gently caress you Nintendo, I'll pay for it)

fridge corn posted:

Would have been shorter to list the genres of games you do play

Survival
Roguelike
Roguelite
Metroidvania
FPS (usually only single player because I'm terrible)
JRPG
CRPG (Fallout / Baldur's Gate)
TRPG
Souls-likes (I think these are a genre of their own at this point)
Platformers
Open World
Rhythm / Bemani
Puzzle
Picross
Spectacle Fighters
Fighting games (terrible at these too)
Whatever Satisfactory is
Deck builders

hawowanlawow posted:

a dating gamer huh, cool

Too niche to consider. But no.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I only play soulslikes and games people incorrectly label as soulslikes.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Doom, the original soulslike, is a pretty decent game

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I only play soulslikes and games people incorrectly label as soulslikes.

I only play Fromsoft games. I've heard good things about their post-2008 output but I haven't tried any of those yet.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

neato burrito posted:

Souls-likes (I think these are a genre of their own at this point)

the souls games fit very neatly into the definition of "metroidvania" and do not need their own genre

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
metroidvania always makes me think of pawnsylvania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWbzstYaC5s

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I only play games which have been banned in Germany for not being fun or interesting enough to be considered a form of entertainment.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DontMockMySmock posted:

the souls games fit very neatly into the definition of "metroidvania" and do not need their own genre

Not really. It's certainly possible to make a game that's a soulslike and a metroidvania, much like you can make a game that's an fps and an rpg, but one doesn't particularly imply the other.

Also metroidvania is not only the worst genre name, but the worst possible genre name, so categorizing games that way should be resisted when possible.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Castlevania needs to stop doing Metroidvanias and give up on the 3D experiment if Konami ever decides to return to gaming and make another one.

Or take a cue from Metroid and make a 3D game in the first person, they already stole one of their ideas so this won't be unprecedented.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah metroid came out first so just call em metroids

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Metroid is bad though

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Was disappointed this version of Mother Brain wasnt in the game.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

that depends on how you define "soulslike" i guess. i mean elden ring uses almost every major mechanic from the souls games so its certainly very souls-like in that sense, but it's not really a "metroidvania" due to the way the world is built

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Earwicker posted:

that depends on how you define "soulslike" i guess. i mean elden ring uses almost every major mechanic from the souls games so its certainly very souls-like in that sense, but it's not really a "metroidvania" due to the way the world is built

Yeah, it's more of a crappy ubisoft open world game. Except without all the QoL stuff that makes ubi games somewhat bearable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

DontMockMySmock posted:

Is this what it finally takes to dethrone SOTN as the greatest ever metroidvania, to call Dark Souls a metroidvania?

Btw the level up system in SOTN works better than the hidden upgrade system in Super Metroid