Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Tumble posted:

What disappointed me in RE8 is that while all the modern RE games use the same engine, only RE:2make has that awesome awesome gore mechanic. I guess it's because Japan found most everything else okay but the zombies have too many chunkables in RE:2make so they toned it all down. It's such an awesome gore mechanic too.

It seems weird that fictional creatures coming apart was just... too much. Out of all the stuff the RE franchise has done, wiped out whole towns with horrible viruses, had people burst open and mutate into monsters, numerous people getting their arms cut off and all sorts of other terrible deaths and injuries, zombies reacting too much to gunfire is the line that cannot be crossed again.

It sucks too, because even though RE8 had more gunfire they enemies just don't really react and show damage much at all, they even did more in RE7. I don't like when games push visual fidelity so high but neglect to show bullets doing anything to bad guys or the environment.

I thought it was simply due to technical limitations. RE3make and RE8 have lots of enemies and they are running on last gen hardware. RE2 had only few enemies at a time and very few enemy types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

If you wanna go in the exact opposite direction (TW for real) as a self-harm suicide survivor I genuinely can't get past the intro of Hardspace Shipbreaker because it is, I promise you, as close as they could get to the sound of bleeding out and dying. If you've ever wondered what it sounds like to bleed out alone in a hospital, that really is it. Obviously it's foley work but it's great foley work. For those that haven't played it: the premise is that you are joining this spacefaring corporation as a ship dismantler which requires disposing of your original body and the way this is played for shock value is unbelievably harsh, you listen to your guy die seconds after picking a voice. It's loving brutal and rad but it triggered me so hard I had a panic attack and cannot even open the game to skip past it, haha.

Was thinking of emailing the developers about it but it doesn't seem like they have a non-public channel to contact that I could find. It's all Discord and Steam forums stuff so not sure what to do because the game seems lovely.

Reminds me of Receiver 2 that got some much-deserved flack at launch because one of the ways to gently caress up a run is to listen to a mind control tape that makes you turn your gun on yourself. Super Hot also had something similar.

Jeff Gerstmann's lust for virtual self harm is amusing I guess, but it's really off-putting how quick a lot of devs in the last few years have gone to that particular well. In an attempt to be edgy I guess? Sucks poo poo either way.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Super Hot ends with using your VR-controlled avatar to find your real-life body and shoot yourself execution-style

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

MadDogMike posted:

Hitman Contracts like I mentioned (third game technically I think, but it included remakes of the first game’s missions as “memories”). Here’s killing the ghost, it even gets you an achievement apparently.
If guards come across it, do they get alerted? I don't know which answer would be more logical.

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Aug 17, 2022

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Deep Rock Galactic is the one game where I got used to the spiderbugs pretty much immediately. It's such an awesome game and I'm really glad for the minor exposure therapy. I think it's a combination of the tone and your dwarves' abrasiveness, the sense of camaraderie with friends, the fact that they're so angular and spectacularly stylized. Deep Rock manages to make spider-LIKE bugs with webs and spitting and jumping and all without taking too many cues from the real world and I think that's a great compromise. Even EDF's mecha spiders I could handle, though the real things in that same game are too much. ANYTHING but the Bloodborne method of "take a spider from real life and just put it from a game", I can eventually learn to tolerate.

It's a fun subject to talk about because everyone's got a different line on where their phobia prevents their ability to play!

Any of you folks have phobias that kill games for you? It's really great seeing this outbreak of arachnophobe modes but I've never seen, like, a snake-phobe mode.

I have an irrational fear of bugs IRL to the point that if there’s a large bug in the room I pretty much can’t concentrate on anything else until I’ve gotten rid of it, but have never had such a reaction to them in games to the point where I don’t want to play something. apparently the spiders in system shock 2 were very bad for some people and my reaction was “that’s unpleasant I guess” but no worse than any of the other hosed up enemies in that game. Had absolutely no reaction to bloodborne spiders.

what I was not prepared for was bug zone in ori 2. It didn’t come close to making me want to quit or anything, but it gave me the worst reaction out of anything I’ve played. it was a combination of the fact that A) ori has very good graphics and B) it’s not just bug enemies here and there, the entire place is made of giant bugs. you can see bug anatomy threaded through every part of the terrain and the background, just everything your character touches is dead or semi-dead bugs. You get over gaps by yanking huge bug legs out of the walls and jumping off them before they retract, the spike hazards are just clusters of spiky bugs that all move when you get close, and this is also the game’s darkness gimmick area so you can only see a little bit in front of you. It’s almost a shame because the devs put a lot of love into the rest of the game’s extremely beautiful graphics and environments too, but at the end of the day, when I think of ori 2 my brain just goes to bug zone.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I have an irrational fear of bugs IRL to the point that if there’s a large bug in the room I pretty much can’t concentrate on anything else until I’ve gotten rid of it, but have never had such a reaction to them in games to the point where I don’t want to play something. apparently the spiders in system shock 2 were very bad for some people and my reaction was “that’s unpleasant I guess” but no worse than any of the other hosed up enemies in that game. Had absolutely no reaction to bloodborne spiders.

what I was not prepared for was bug zone in ori 2. It didn’t come close to making me want to quit or anything, but it gave me the worst reaction out of anything I’ve played. it was a combination of the fact that A) ori has very good graphics and B) it’s not just bug enemies here and there, the entire place is made of giant bugs. you can see bug anatomy threaded through every part of the terrain and the background, just everything your character touches is dead or semi-dead bugs. You get over gaps by yanking huge bug legs out of the walls and jumping off them before they retract, the spike hazards are just clusters of spiky bugs that all move when you get close, and this is also the game’s darkness gimmick area so you can only see a little bit in front of you. It’s almost a shame because the devs put a lot of love into the rest of the game’s extremely beautiful graphics and environments too, but at the end of the day, when I think of ori 2 my brain just goes to bug zone.

Have you seen the Deepnest in Hollow Knight? CW if you haven't, it's dark and filled with bugs. In a game where bugs are cartoony and fairly benign-looking, that section is....different.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

Have you seen the Deepnest in Hollow Knight? CW if you haven't, it's dark and filled with bugs. In a game where bugs are cartoony and fairly benign-looking, that section is....different.

I remember that place being somewhat disappointing because it feels like it's leading up to an epic boss fight and then it just doesn't.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Morpheus posted:

That section pissed me off, I really loved Hollow Knight for its abstraction of the creatures and Deepnest is a perfect example of how developers know exactly what they're doing when they put spiders into video games. It's a pathetic cheap scare in 99% of cases and bad enemy design because they couldn't think of something that moves fast and spits webs in the other 1% of cases, and I'm glad the disrespect for one of the most common phobias on the planet is finally disappearing.

Like wow what a way to immediately sour me on a game that had been the best I'd played in years. Holy wow.

edit: Straight up my thought process was 'oh, it's this bug, but they made it accessible to look at! and that one! and that one! and SKITTER SKITTER SKITTER oh, this game's just like all the rest'.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Aug 17, 2022

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

WaltherFeng posted:

I thought it was simply due to technical limitations. RE3make and RE8 have lots of enemies and they are running on last gen hardware. RE2 had only few enemies at a time and very few enemy types.

I'm pretty sure it's censor-y stuff rather than technical, RE3make has a few different versions with different ratings and different amounts of gore.

I get that it may have been more complicated to do RE2make's level of carnage, but it seems kind of strange to not even do some gunshot decals where you shoot the enemies when you're making the game even more focused on shooting this time around. For a game that wants you in combat more and more often, the enemies weren't all that responsive.

Tumble has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Aug 17, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

This too absolutely, ori was such a beautiful game and I was so disappointed I wouldn't be able to finish it that I actually cried. Sorry for posting this stuff in the wrong thread but it's not really worth dragging over there imo, it kinda seems like there's a consensus on it these days at least.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CJacobs posted:

That section pissed me off, I really loved Hollow Knight for its abstraction of the creatures and Deepnest is a perfect example of how developers know exactly what they're doing when they put spiders into video games. It's a pathetic cheap scare in 99% of cases and bad enemy design because they couldn't think of something that moves fast and spits webs in the other 1% of cases, and I'm glad the disrespect for one of the most common phobias on the planet is finally disappearing.

Like wow what a way to immediately sour me on a game that had been the best I'd played in years. Holy wow.

edit: Straight up my thought process was 'oh, it's this bug, but they made it accessible to look at! and that one! and that one! and SKITTER SKITTER SKITTER oh, this game's just like all the rest'.

It's especially weird thinking about it as every other insect in the game is in some way humanised but then Deepnest is just kind of generically skittery monster bugs. Kind of paints a weird picture that resembles poo poo like old Tintin comics treating non-europeans as animalistic or stupid.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

BioEnchanted posted:

It's especially weird thinking about it as every other insect in the game is in some way humanised but then Deepnest is just kind of generically skittery monster bugs. Kind of paints a weird picture that resembles poo poo like old Tintin comics treating non-europeans as animalistic or stupid.

Lore-wise not all the bugs in Hollow Knight are sentient, and none of them are in Deepnest. I think the weavers (the round spiders) were sentient but all got the infection

edit: also the spider tribe but they all left. Wow what a dorky thing to know

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Kind of paints a weird picture that resembles poo poo like old Tintin comics treating non-europeans as animalistic or stupid.

i think i am yet to be convinced that the deepnest spiders represent horrible colonial attitudes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Lore-wise not all the bugs in Hollow Knight are sentient, and none of them are in Deepnest. I think the weavers (the round spiders) were sentient but all got the infection

edit: also the spider tribe but they all left. Wow what a dorky thing to know

the weavers were the spider tribe and wisely hosed off when the infection began to spread. only a few loons like midwife and the mask maker are still around

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think i am yet to be convinced that the deepnest spiders represent horrible colonial attitudes

deepnest's history is definitely meant to evoke a colonialism-resistant region. the pale king and his "civilized" nation were always trying to encroach on it (albeit through benign means like the monorail expansion instead of open warfare) and deepnest's residents responded by smashing up his infrastructure and probably eating his missionaries

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Aug 17, 2022

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

haveblue posted:

Super Hot ends with using your VR-controlled avatar to find your real-life body and shoot yourself execution-style

Didn't the devs respond to the self-harm survivors community and make this optional or removed it entirely?

I remember the usual crowd of morons getting pissed that it was altering the game etc.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Beastie posted:

Didn't the devs respond to the self-harm survivors community and make this optional or removed it entirely?

I remember the usual crowd of morons getting pissed that it was altering the game etc.

Superhot is a prime example of awesome gameplay tied to the dumbest story. It thinks it's deep, but it's doing nothing that hasn't been done before and better by people like Cronenberg. The metalayer about being a gamer who's sucked into a spooooooky VR game was as dumb as a brick and about as subtle. I thought the demo/game jam entry did a way better job with its ending, which had me expecting something far cooler from the finished product.

For those that haven't played it, you play as someone or something that takes control of some poor dude's body and go on a rampage to assassinate a CEO. When you are done, the thing that was controlling the body forces it to jump out of a window and to its death.

I'll grant that the demo is even worse than the ending they ended up going with, because I'm afraid that a lot more people can relate to (or be triggered by) suicidal jumps than becoming a digital ghost that rides an assassin so they can shoot their own body in the head.

But the demo also played with the implication that the player would assume the roll of some kind of controller entity. It reminded me of the Agents from the old Syndicate games. With a bit of tweaking, that could be a cool concept. Yes, it's brutal and would still need a lot of work, but killing a host because your objective is to kill everybody feels much more like video game murder and much less like active suicide. It also offers the option of doing some interesting things with narrative dissonance and inhabiting roles, like accentuating the differences between the player and the player character.

Instead, they went with a Videodrome-knockoff and the idea of the player being an entity that "rides" a main character ended up being the basis for a much maligned XCOM game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Beastie posted:

Yeah, it was completely understandable to change the ending in SuperHot VR, as it originally ended with Being handed a gun and told on a screen, directly to the player, "YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO" :shepicide:.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, it was completely understandable to change the ending in SuperHot VR, as it originally ended with Being handed a gun and told on a screen, directly to the player, "YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO" :shepicide:.
Mario get your poo poo together, there is no princess, there aren’t other castles. She’s not coming back. Mario, look at me.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Frank Frank posted:

I remember that place being somewhat disappointing because it feels like it's leading up to an epic boss fight and then it just doesn't.

that's the point. you're supposed to think that herrah is going to be a brutal horrible boss fight because she's called "the beast" and she lives in deepnest but it just turns out that she loves her daughter and misses her partner

(i love hollow knight and deepnest)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Finally the finished the surprise hit of the summer for me, kingdom come deliverance. After bouncing off of it a few times before, this time it really stuck and it was extremely enjoyable. There's tons of little things that make it a fun game, from the realistic responses to being an unwashed dirty mess "oh god, what happened to you" to Brian blessed being a boisterous siege engine expert, but the thing that made it really work for me is how the progression from scrub to knight feels fluid and rewarding.
You start out with a lovely sword and borrowed armour, with zero skill or knowledge about anything, and slowly work your way up to a full plate armored fighting machine that actually makes bandits run away in fear.
The fighting system is also unique and very challenging, it feels "realistic" and fair at the some time though. An experienced Fighter will gently caress you up, more than one even unarmored enemy will mob you in seconds, but after hours of training and fighting experience you turn this around and can school your original trainer or hold your own against multiple armored fighters. The fact that combos and skills also need precise timing and patterns and you never pull them off easily makes fighting engaging to the end. And you actually get better at it, it's not just skills going up.

All in all a solid game and well worth the 10 bux i paid for it last steam sale.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Kingdom Come: Deliverance was the best open world RPG I've played in years. I came to feel really connected with the characters. They all were fleshed out more than I thought they would be. I love how your rivalry with the shithead progresses over time. That scene where you go off to hunt and return to find him tied to a tree. Riding on horseback through the woods to escape felt really intense. I loved scouting bandit camps and picking them off one by one. I loved the loving journey to get that sword back. I've never engaged with first person melee combat that felt so good and rewarding. It's also got a delicious level of jank. God drat what a good game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The boss of Deepnest is getting thrown into a disconnected area and realizing you can't leave at first

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BioEnchanted posted:

Just curious, are there any circumstances in which your arachnophobia doesn't trigger because something about the spiders breaks your suspension of disbelief so your brain just sees it as "Not a spider" at that point?

I was really super worried about Rakna-Kadaki in Monster Hunter Rise but it's just so... not spidery that I actually kinda like it. It's just goofy enough that it doesn't set off alarm bells for my arachnaphobia even though it's also doing creepy poo poo like carrying its young on its back. Partially because two of its moves involve having the little spiders leap off and anchor into the ground so it can use them like a grappling hook to slide around, it's so goddamn dumb. I love MHR so much :allears:

Bussamove posted:

Satisfactory has an arachnophobia mode that replaces all spider models with flat jpegs of cat faces.

I like the implication that it's actually in-universe filtering because they still make creepy hiss click noises and the cat jpegs are static-y and seem filtered.

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Instead, they went with a Videodrome-knockoff and the idea of the player being an entity that "rides" a main character ended up being the basis for a much maligned XCOM game.

That reveal was about the only reason the game 'needed' to be crossed over with X-COM at all, and I still think it'd have been much better received if it was a standalone new title rather than being bolted to the franchise. I did like the more subtle hints about it at first too like your superiors and coworkers going 'wow you're way less of a motherfucker than your record suggests Carter, glad about that.'

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I like the implication that it's actually in-universe filtering because they still make creepy hiss click noises and the cat jpegs are static-y and seem filtered.

I'm very disappointed that Satisfactory's "Archanaphobia" filter makes you into an outright monster and have to kill cats. Why couldn't it have been something no one likes, like zombie clown politicians?

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Randalor posted:

I'm very disappointed that Satisfactory's "Archanaphobia" filter makes you into an outright monster and have to kill cats. Why couldn't it have been something no one likes, like zombie clown politicians?

We are trying to find something LESS scary than spiders.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been playing Deep Rock Galactic exclusively as the Gunner class, because once you hit max level you unlock some additional playable content. Well, I hit max level yesterday, so I checked out the Scout. Went into a mission, exited the drop pod, got my flare gun confused with my grapple gun, grappled out over an open pit, and fell to my death. A+ would die again.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

We are trying to find something LESS scary than spiders.

Okay, fine, just zombie clowns then. But I say that as someone who likes zombie clowns. I have several for my Spooky Town display. Also, I need to set up my spooky town display again.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Randalor posted:

Okay, fine, just zombie clowns then. But I say that as someone who likes zombie clowns. I have several for my Spooky Town display. Also, I need to set up my spooky town display again.

I'm imagining a whole fleet of clown-based horror analogues. Clown Frankenstein, Clown Wolfman, the Invisible Clown. I never found those movies scary before but I sure would if they were goddamn clowns.

Fuckin imagine the Invisible Clown. Just a fuckin mask of facepaint hovering around trying to watch you in your underwear or whatever it is the Invisible Man does.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

credburn posted:

I'm imagining a whole fleet of clown-based horror analogues. Clown Frankenstein, Clown Wolfman, the Invisible Clown. I never found those movies scary before but I sure would if they were goddamn clowns.

Fuckin imagine the Invisible Clown. Just a fuckin mask of facepaint hovering around trying to watch you in your underwear or whatever it is the Invisible Man does.

An invisible clown would fuckin suck you could tell they were there all the time by the honking and squeaking.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You think that car is empty but

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Kitfox88 posted:

I was really super worried about Rakna-Kadaki in Monster Hunter Rise but it's just so... not spidery that I actually kinda like it. It's just goofy enough that it doesn't set off alarm bells for my arachnaphobia even though it's also doing creepy poo poo like carrying its young on its back. Partially because two of its moves involve having the little spiders leap off and anchor into the ground so it can use them like a grappling hook to slide around, it's so goddamn dumb. I love MHR so much :allears:

Rakna kadaki is a great example of how good monster hunter’s monster design has become. they started with “giant spider monster” and managed to give it actual personality and identity. the whiteboard concept for rakna kadaki was probably “what if a monster had wirebugs too?” and the end result is hilarious.

people always clamor for more returning monsters but when those monsters are “yet another bland dragon that spams the same attack for half of its moves (no not that one the other one)” while capcom’s new additions for MHW and MHR were so drat good, I think they should just focus on making brand new ones instead of continuing to port old ones even if it amounts to a smaller game. (exceptions apply until qurupeco is added back)

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

credburn posted:

Kingdom Come: Deliverance was the best open world RPG I've played in years. I came to feel really connected with the characters. They all were fleshed out more than I thought they would be. I love how your rivalry with the shithead progresses over time. That scene where you go off to hunt and return to find him tied to a tree. Riding on horseback through the woods to escape felt really intense. I loved scouting bandit camps and picking them off one by one. I loved the loving journey to get that sword back. I've never engaged with first person melee combat that felt so good and rewarding. It's also got a delicious level of jank. God drat what a good game.
I had a slow start with this one until I just decided to accept that I was indeed roleplaying as an unskilled rural bumpkin. I really enjoyed the game's focus on learning by doing and that even reading was not an option unless you took the time and effort to figure it out. The combat feels extremely rewarding once you've learned the combos and techniques and leveled up a bit. You go from getting effortlessly slaughtered one on one, to becoming the predator and clowning on everyone at the arena through practice and they made it feel earned. Also thievery was super useful in the cities and during some quests.
I did use my monitor's target option so that I could add a cursor for arrows though.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Zero_Grade posted:

If guards come across it, do they get alerted? I don't know which answer would be more logical.

They can apparently react to its “corpse” if you kill it, though probably just because it triggers their usual “dead civilian” reaction code.

As for phobias in games, I have a fear of bees/wasps, which made Fallout New Vegas’s cazadores a nightmare to deal with. Fortunately I tend to go for stealthy sniper builds in Fallout so I could minimize them buzzing up to my face by simply blasting them from far away, but ick, I loathe them far beyond even their default nastiness in the game.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

future ghost posted:

I had a slow start with this one until I just decided to accept that I was indeed roleplaying as an unskilled rural bumpkin. I really enjoyed the game's focus on learning by doing and that even reading was not an option unless you took the time and effort to figure it out. The combat feels extremely rewarding once you've learned the combos and techniques and leveled up a bit. You go from getting effortlessly slaughtered one on one, to becoming the predator and clowning on everyone at the arena through practice and they made it feel earned. Also thievery was super useful in the cities and during some quests.
I did use my monitor's target option so that I could add a cursor for arrows though.

Haha absolutely the most brutally difficult thing in all of that game is where you have to hunt like five rabbits.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

MadDogMike posted:

They can apparently react to its “corpse” if you kill it, though probably just because it triggers their usual “dead civilian” reaction code.

As for phobias in games, I have a fear of bees/wasps, which made Fallout New Vegas’s cazadores a nightmare to deal with. Fortunately I tend to go for stealthy sniper builds in Fallout so I could minimize them buzzing up to my face by simply blasting them from far away, but ick, I loathe them far beyond even their default nastiness in the game.

There's a fully automatic grenade launcher in one of the DLCs (Gun Runners I think) and I hated the cazadors so much that my default opener became finding a tall thing to climb on and then carpeting the area with thirty rounds of high explosive from stealth. Just wipe them off the map and hope to never deal with them.

They're a nightmare of fast and deadly though. Accidentally aggro'ing one must be what the NPC enemies feel like when you're running with Boone/ED-E: half a second of SPOTTED and then suddenly you're dead without even seeing them.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Final Fantasy: Stranger of Paradise:
- I can’t say I’ve extensively played every Final Fantasy but it’s cool when I can recognize which dungeon (the dungeons are mostly set pieces from other games) is from one I know, I especially enjoyed the Evil Forest from IX.
- you get fatalities by draining an enemy’s not-poise bar and usually they’re just the protagonist going full Doomguy/Mortal Kombat on a guy while turning them into crystal shards, but the one for Tonberries, the infamous pain in the rear end Final Fantasy alumni enemy, is just a pat on the head while they rapidly vibrate and then explode into crystals, which works better than if you just did the normal thing of grabbing their tails and slamming them around.
- they have to assume you can have any weapon so usually for big cutscene moments Jack just punches a guy really angrily.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Last Celebration posted:

- I can’t say I’ve extensively played every Final Fantasy but it’s cool when I can recognize which dungeon (the dungeons are mostly set pieces from other games) is from one I know, I especially enjoyed the Evil Forest from IX.
- you get fatalities by draining an enemy’s not-poise bar and usually they’re just the protagonist going full Doomguy/Mortal Kombat on a guy while turning them into crystal shards, but the one for Tonberries, the infamous pain in the rear end Final Fantasy alumni enemy, is just a pat on the head while they rapidly vibrate and then explode into crystals, which works better than if you just did the normal thing of grabbing their tails and slamming them around.
- they have to assume you can have any weapon so usually for big cutscene moments Jack just punches a guy really angrily.

The fatality on Cactuars is great. Jack picks them up by the leg and they instantly crystallize, implying they just die of fright as soon as they're caught.

I'm also playing this currently and have to say the FF megathread is right: this version of Ultima is absolutely the best version of the spell and worth the hype. It takes a bit to set up but it looks badass and will kill/stun everything in the room, bosses included.

The game is one of the funniest I've ever played. There's a scene early on where a bunch of plot is exposited, to which Jack is barely paying attention. His only contribution is to mutter "Bullshit!" and then power walk out of the room blasting Limp Bizkit on his iPod. I just finished a mission where the highlight was getting on an elevator and having Jack's companions, apropos of nothing, instantly start talking loudly amongst themselves about how cool and strong he is. Just some real charming vintage edgelord poo poo that was thought dead and buried by the mid-2000s. I can't believe none of this poo poo was intentional.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Dang, even just your description of that area started to make me feel a bit...uh...antsy. :rimshot:

I'm the same way as you. 99% of video game creepy crawlies are innately exaggerated in some way and end up not bothering me at all. But I'll still flip the gently caress out at a coin-sized spider IRL. There's a certain spindly limb factor that can make things worse and the more outright realistic something is (ie, RE7's "haha now squeeze past this hornet's nest in the swamp" type stuff") can start ramping it up big time. I think sound can also be something of a factor. EDF is top to bottom nonsense and despite having a huge fear of stinging insects its giant hornets are just another dumb exaggerated bug...except when they're at a very precise range and the action isn't overpowering the sound and I can hear them buzzing just on the edge of my hearing. That gets the hackles up a bit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

tonberries are made of the hatred and grudges of departed spirits so one interpretation of this is they’re literally allergic to affection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Horizon: Forbidden West has an accessibility setting I've never seen before but really appreciate: a toggle for high-pitched ringing sounds a la tinnitus. As someone with lifelong, brutally loud tinnitus I appreciate the option to not be reminded of it while playing a game.