Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

they are called HVAC systems because they vacuum up hydrogen. Hydrogen Vacuums. HVAC. Huh.

I've never heard anyone call Vulcans HVAC systems :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

they are called HVAC systems because they vacuum up hydrogen. Hydrogen Vacuums. HVAC. Huh.

I thought it was heating, ventilation, air conditioning

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Len posted:

This is correct

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Do you think it's funny yeah? To come into the thread and lie?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Len posted:

i actually didn't know this because i just assumed it was high volume air circulation and never looked it up

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Although I would appreciate if my home had a system to vacuum up any floating clouds of hydrogen before they detonate or suffocate me

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Although I would appreciate if my home had a system to vacuum up any floating clouds of hydrogen before they detonate or suffocate me

:gary::gas:

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
hey, cunninghams law worked and got myself pleasantly owned. the delicate dance of the universe continues on! thanks for the info haha

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Captain Splendid posted:

Vulcans are just elves in space

No, that's the Eldar

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Failed Imagineer posted:

Do you think it's funny yeah? To come into the thread and lie?

Wait are we supposed to be telling the truth?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's what I prefer but I'm not a thread czar or anything. It's also just frankly harder to make an insightful post about a misconception.

Content: Until it came up in the online game framed, I had always thought Moulin Rouge took place in China and was "Mulan" Rouge. I'd never seen the movie, never seen it spelled, and just sort of had this stupid assumption lurking in my general pop culture knowledge.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Hola Vaquero, All Cool.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Chupacabra was made up in Puerto Rico in the mid 90s after some lady had a nightmare after watching Species.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
When I was a child I learned that the Gillette safety razor was invented by someone called King Gillette.

I guess I naturally assumed he was an actual king, maybe of a small European country. Not just some American businessman whose parents named him "King".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's what I prefer but I'm not a thread czar or anything. It's also just frankly harder to make an insightful post about a misconception.

Content: Until it came up in the online game framed, I had always thought Moulin Rouge took place in China and was "Mulan" Rouge. I'd never seen the movie, never seen it spelled, and just sort of had this stupid assumption lurking in my general pop culture knowledge.

When I was in college doing an internship at an audio post house there was a session with about a dozen producers that wouldn't usually be in for sessions, I think this was maybe the final pass or a celebrity was doing voiceover or something. Anyway I'm taking coffee orders for a bunch of people that aren't the regulars, and one of them requested "café olé."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Captain Splendid posted:

Vulcans are just elves in space

Klingons were space orcs, Ferengi were space goblins

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Vulkans are space ancient greeks. They're a whole race of stoic philosophers who live on a planet covered in white marble columns. Guess who the Romulans are based on

Most star trek aliens are based on some earth culture or another, but it's kind of nebulous. Klingons are just "asian." They were very obviously Chinese in the original series, then Russian in the movies, and then in TNG they became a race of japanese samurai

Rick Berman straight up said in interviews that the borg represent America. An expansionist, resource gobbling juggernaut that takes in anybody they can exploit, but you better leave your culture behind and assimilate

The cardassians and bajorans are israel and palestine, though which is which depends on the political views of whoever is writing the episode

We don't need to talk about the ferengi

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
ferengi are space-libertarians right?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

This is wonderful.

The movie is loosely based on the actual place, a famous cabaret in Paris. They invented the cancan. It's a tourist attraction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moulin_Rouge

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

rollick posted:

When I was a child I learned that the Gillette safety razor was invented by someone called King Gillette.

I guess I naturally assumed he was an actual king, maybe of a small European country. Not just some American businessman whose parents named him "King".

His middle name was “Camp”.

He was also a utopian novelist with a plan for a bizarre porcelain city in the vicinity of Niagara Falls, operated as a company town of sixty million people.

Weird guy.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Titty City

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Take me down to the paradise city
Where the grass is green and the apartments are titties
Oh won't you please take me home

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And nobody ever called them "flats" again

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Here's a thread full of people that make us all look like geniuses
https://twitter.com/kathbarbadoro/status/1559587676352925696?t=PQLzzn2tmEJaIFftW5tokQ&s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/pixelsbyprince/status/1559615566566293504

:psyduck:

What's with all the masks, is this some kinda burglar convention??

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I had always thought Dancing With Myself was by Billy Idol, then Spotify tells me its by a band called Generation X, and I think "huh maybe this singer just sounds a lot like Billy Idol, interesting I think I'll check out more about this band."

Then I find out the singer of Generation X was goddamn Billy Idol, and he shortly after released his own version of Dancing With Myself credited to just him that sounded exactly the loving same to me over FM radio.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Captain Hygiene posted:

:psyduck:

What's with all the masks, is this some kinda burglar convention??

Dip Viscous posted:

I have a relative that was completely willing to wear a mask but thought that it was just for hiding his identity rather than breathing through until I explained it to him. So he was wearing it covering his nose but only partially covering his mouth.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That's an absolute goldmine. Nice find!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I once observed a woman in her fifties finally learning that the sun was a star.

Because her colleague had read about it the day before.

"But it's out during the day!", she replied.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

She makes a compelling point

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Captain Splendid posted:

I once observed a woman in her fifties finally learning that the sun was a star.

Because her colleague had read about it the day before.

"But it's out during the day!", she replied.

One of these days I'd love to find out what this specific kind of person would put on a list named "interesting things I'd enjoy thinking about" and what they put in the "boring crap that is pointless to think about" garbage bin and most of all, why

Your ignorance is bliss for you, but it can be a curse for everyone else (cf. climate change)

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Aug 18, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
many people don't find thinking interesting

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

20% of people don't think.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I remember consciously realizing the sun was a star as a kid. I mean, I was pretty dumb, but I knew it was also a big burny thing out in space, it was more the contextual realization that I'd never really thought of it in the same way because it's close enough to feel like a completely different thing than the ones you see at night. I like to think I'm canny enough as an adult to hide my reaction if I finally realize something very simple like that nowadays though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

One of these days I'd love to find out what this specific kind of person would put on a list named "interesting things I'd enjoy thinking about" and what they put in the "boring crap that is pointless to think about" garbage bin and most of all, why

They're in the public domain, dude, feel free to read as many Holmes novels as you want.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I remember that as a child my grandma didn't believe me that Venus is a planet, not a star. She said "but it's called the 'Evening Star'!"

So fair enough. And, as it happens, the root of the word "planet" is literally "wandering star", because they move around in the night sky relative to the "fixed" stars.

I read a lot about space as a kid, and I guess my grandma didn't :shrug:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well if scientists discovered a term wasn't accurate, we'd all stop saying it, wouldn't we?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When non-goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about Johnny Five Aces :eek:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

I remember consciously realizing the sun was a star as a kid. I mean, I was pretty dumb, but I knew it was also a big burny thing out in space, it was more the contextual realization that I'd never really thought of it in the same way because it's close enough to feel like a completely different thing than the ones you see at night. I like to think I'm canny enough as an adult to hide my reaction if I finally realize something very simple like that nowadays though.
When I was a kid the pro strategy for pulling off wishes was to hit the sun - most kids wished at stars that were so far away that they died before the wish even got there, let alone back to earth. The sun is only 8 minutes or so away and it gets back to you in the same amount of time, if it goes through. And if it gets denied or flagged you can just try again. It’s a slippery slope of course and there’s been trauma that can’t be undone, burned bridges and massive regret I’ll have to die with. Still better than getting a voltron toy in sixteen thousand years, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I always figured wishes traveled through subspace or something and were not bound by the speed of light, that's good to know