Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaggar posted:

coffee is a pretty american drink. we started a war of independence so we wouldnt have to drink tea anymore

yeah calling it a war of independence was post-hoc marketing to burnish their legacies, it was actually all a war to end tea dependence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
suckers!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the salad shop next to my office got an espresso machine. now I can stop for coffee whenever I want

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

mediaphage posted:

yeah calling it a war of independence was post-hoc marketing to burnish their legacies, it was actually all a war to end tea dependence

poo poo was so gross we dumped boatloads of it in a harbor

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://www.lavazza.com/en/business/offices/espresso-point/capsules/english-breakfast.html

mycrimes.lavazza.com

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

got a raise, using it to double my bean stash

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bean bag is empty

both the bean tin and bean hopper are full but empty bean bags still make me nervous :ohdear:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

put the bag on your head and inhale the residual smog of caffeine within

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Brother, my bag is empty
And I haven't got a penny
For to buy no more coffee
I have to go home

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
two days with no coffee was bad

have coffee today, today good

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nobody Interesting posted:

goongrats coffee chum

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

broke my coffee duck yesterday with a pot of filter. heart didn't even complain once. 3-cup moka pot this morning, still feeling good

looks like bean's back on the menu boys

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

congratulations posting pal. enjoy.

jesus WEP posted:

broke my coffee duck yesterday with a pot of filter. heart didn't even complain once. 3-cup moka pot this morning, still feeling good

looks like bean's back on the menu boys

hell yeah brother

Chris Knight posted:

Brother, my bag is empty
And I haven't got a penny
For to buy no more coffee
I have to go home

here is a coffee sonnet for u

i tumble, stumble out of bed,
my brain not yet awake.
excited for my morning meds,
and what form they might take

the grinder spins the beans around;
i tamp them down with haste
the smell’s the best that i have found,
and oh my god the taste

water sluices through the slots,
and drips into a mug
a drop of cream: a waiting shot
a cara-mel-ized drug

the ritual is like no other
i cannot wait to have another

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

smoking a fat bowl of beans this morning

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Same as hell brother

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

post hole digger posted:

smoking a fat bowl of beans this morning

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

send bripe pics

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
On pot #2 :sludgepal:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

having an afternoon coffee to celebrate the end of the work day :coffeepal:

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

espresso machine came in. it's a bit more automatic than i suspect most coffee nerds would like, but it makes a latte that wakes me up and tastes decent with some good beans so i ain't bitching.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1559628029109878785

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

don’t dox me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

why would that be a joke

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neito posted:

espresso machine came in. it's a bit more automatic than i suspect most coffee nerds would like, but it makes a latte that wakes me up and tastes decent with some good beans so i ain't bitching.

if you are newish to espresso machines

i recommend running some distilled or ro water through it to make coffee and see if you like the slightly different flavour. if so, it will make your machine last longer.

otherwise keep an eye on descaling it, if you have very hard water you may wish to do it as often as every couple of weeks

what kind did you get?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

my big work mug perfectly holds 400g of coffee. just a little room left to prevent spillage. or more byon juice

fyi

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

mediaphage posted:

if you are newish to espresso machines

i recommend running some distilled or ro water through it to make coffee and see if you like the slightly different flavour. if so, it will make your machine last longer.

otherwise keep an eye on descaling it, if you have very hard water you may wish to do it as often as every couple of weeks

what kind did you get?

That's what the manual said. I don't have an easy source of distilled or ro water other than buying bottled water, and not owning a car makes that obnoxious, so I'll just pay attention and descale often.

it's just a pushbutton Mr. Coffee brand. It makes some good hot bean water, but it's not going to win any competitions.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Neito posted:

That's what the manual said. I don't have an easy source of distilled or ro water other than buying bottled water, and not owning a car makes that obnoxious, so I'll just pay attention and descale often.

it's just a pushbutton Mr. Coffee brand. It makes some good hot bean water, but it's not going to win any competitions.

lol thats fine, having coffee is more important than how it's made. glad you like it

for us it wasn't a big deal to just switch over to ro since we bought one to generate water to water orchids lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

coffee does sound like a good idea right about now

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

my mr coffee came in yesterday and i have just made my first pot with it. i hope it is not terrible.

i am going to keep the pot on the warmer as an experiment and see if it really does make it worse over time.

re descaling: what's the method for one of these? just run white vinegar and water through it as if you were making the world's most heinous coffee?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

haveing coffee

mediaphage posted:

for us it wasn't a big deal to just switch over to ro since we bought one to generate water to water orchids lol

my wife pulled her orchids out of the pot and now the roots hang down into regular tap water and it's been going well

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

mr coffee trip report:

took a sip. not bad. is coffee. now caffeinated. will likely need to poop in a few minutes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my mr coffee came in yesterday and i have just made my first pot with it. i hope it is not terrible.

i am going to keep the pot on the warmer as an experiment and see if it really does make it worse over time.

re descaling: what's the method for one of these? just run white vinegar and water through it as if you were making the world's most heinous coffee?

imo coffee definitely gets worse on the warmer after a handful of minutes. i just let it get cold and microwave it

relatedly you don’t really need any kind of coffee maker if you simply enjoy basic coffee. mix up a batch of cold brew once a week, keep it in the fridge, and just microwave to suit. works great.

anyway buy a big five pound bag of citric acid on amazon; most commercial descales are largely citric plus a few other acids. you can mix off a moderate citric acid solution and just run it through a few times with no coffee. then rinse a few times.

you can use vinegar but citric acid is mostly odourless so i prefer it

Cat Face Joe posted:

haveing coffee

my wife pulled her orchids out of the pot and now the roots hang down into regular tap water and it's been going well

yeah they’re all different. some will just rot if you do that lol

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

dioxazine posted:

coffee does sound like a good idea right about now

trust your instincts

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

mediaphage posted:

i just let it get cold and microwave it

friend you are missing out on the hot dog water smells :ohdear:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i sure am

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my coffee maker has a separate warmer switch that i never turn on to begin with :smug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

burnt coffee taste like rear end. you can bring it back from the brink with a very small pinch of salt in the coffee though, but keep that a secret :ssh:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

my coffee maker has a separate warmer switch that i never turn on to begin with :smug:

if feeling compelled to use the drip, i got one that came with a thermal carafe. i don’t mind the effort of putting hot tap water in it first, and it keeps coffee hot for hours

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i went to buy one of those but none of the ones i could find fit under my maker :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

second cup from mr coffee (warmer on): it isn't terrible, definitely not as good as it could be. but also not rear end flavoured. expecting 3rd cup to be full rear end.