Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The best Pratchett book to start with is whatever's in your local library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

DontMockMySmock posted:

Also whichever story line tickles your fancy. Wizards? Witches? Detectives? The actual avatar of Death as a character with a fascination for humans? Fantasy entrepreneurs press ganged into service? Most of the stories that are further along in any one group of protagonists story are pretty good as stand alone books too, even if you see more in the way of linking elements to the greater world if you are familiar with the previous books, so if one particular book description stands out, then go for that one because you can always go back if you like it. You'll even have an excuse to re-read that first book to see the greater story it was part of.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

tsob posted:

I barely see them mentioned, but I think the "Science of Discword" books are probably some of my favorite Pratchett stuff, just because I enjoy both halves and I'm not honestly sure if I prefer Pratchett's side about the Unseen University wizards being a gaggle of barely functioning idiots who pull through or Cohen and Stewarts half musing about related science topics in a very easy to digest pop-science way more. I definitely prefer the approach later Wizard stuff took to focusing on the misadventures of a dozen or so UU head men over Rincewind, with Rincewind more the put upon schmuck they drag behind them than focusing solely on Rincewind as the earlier Wizarding books did.

The wizard's stunned awe at how a bunch of idiot, violent apes managed to survive in the face of a magic-free, uncaring universe sums up everything you need to know about Terry's philosophy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
small gods is i think my favourite of the discworld books but it lands so well in part because it's a very deliberate inversion, or maybe a correction of the mistakes made in Pyramids ie just leave AH out it will overcrowd the story otherwise, which makes it very radically different to any of the other discworld books. and if you don't know those beats, if you don't have an understanding of how the religion and tone of the setting work you don't feel the subversion and as such it doesn't land quite as well. so it kind of works as a stand alone but it also doesn't?

guards, death, witches in order then the standalones is how i did it and it's fine. i don't recommend publication order because some significant fraction of people won't make it through the first three books while if you go back and read them as kind of prototypes they tend to read a little better, imo.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DontMockMySmock posted:

To be fair, this approach caused me to start with Strata and be deeply, deeply confused for a while.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 7, 2022

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
My first discworld book was Equal Rites which maybe me almost not keep going. Then I read Monstrous Regiment which I really liked and then Going Postal. After that I liked the series enough to read the whole thing in order. So I usually tell people to start with Going Postal. It's still my favorite Discworld book (hense my avatar :P) and I think stands alone pretty well.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I know I read others before then, but the first one I remember was my dad reading Witches Abroad to me. He liked to do voices when reading, and one scene (the birthday cameo) has stuck in my head. He was a good influence for me getting into them, because he helped me spot some of the various references. The first book reads a lot better if you know the pulp fantasy stuff it's riffing on, for example.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Bruceski posted:

The first book reads a lot better if you know the pulp fantasy stuff it's riffing on, for example.

That was really what endeared me to early Discworld. I started with 'A Light Fantastic' of all things, while making my way through the entire fantasy shelf of my local library. I had read a tonne of second and third entries of a series and was used to being pretty confused for the first couple of pages till I figured out a rough idea of the plot from context clues, but what really sold me on the series was that it poked fun on the fantasy tropes I was consuming at that time.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 8, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Good Omens is another fun standalone recommendation if you like cleverly written prose. Pratchett and Gaiman both have a talent for wordplay and clever symbolism that make for interesting reading when combined.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Liquid Communism posted:

Good Omens is another fun standalone recommendation if you like cleverly written prose. Pratchett and Gaiman both have a talent for wordplay and clever symbolism that make for interesting reading when combined.

I was asked to leave a library while reading this book.

(I couldn't stop laughing)

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Liquid Communism posted:

Good Omens is sooo good and I’ve re-read it several times. I find something new every time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dino. posted:

Good Omens is sooo good and I’ve re-read it several times. I find something new every time.

There is a decent tv version too.

I'm never sure how many people still know about Just William though, because the kids in that are basically a direct quote

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Watching David Tenant swanning about in tight leather trousers was a good time for me and the boyfriend. We loved it.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

sebmojo posted:

There is a decent tv version too.

I'm never sure how many people still know about Just William though, because the kids in that are basically a direct quote

If you can find the audio books read by Martin Jarvis, they are fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpasO_qd22E

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Publication order or gtfo

Yes, but no. Start with Small Gods and/or Guards! Guards! If they pull you in completely then go back to the beginning.

TriggerHappyMarie
Sep 15, 2011

stereobreadsticks posted:

Yes, but no. Start with Small Gods and/or Guards! Guards! If they pull you in completely then go back to the beginning.

^^^
I tried to read Hogfather first but couldn’t get into it. Then I tried Small Gods and was off to the races. Read the Rincewind stuff next and when I started in on Guards Guards I lost my mind, I loved the night watch so much! Then I hit Tiffany Aching because I’m a sucker for YA lit, and I am switching every other book I read with either the Witches line or Death line.
I did circle back around to Hogfather and quite enjoy the BBC miniseries of it :3:

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

stereobreadsticks posted:

I started with Small Gods, and absolutely loved it.Went with Color of Magic next and loved it too, but Light Fantastic didn't grab me much.

There's so many places to start, that as long as you read the synopsis and it looks like you'll like it, you can't go wrong (some of the last books non-withstanding).

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Small Gods is the only Pratchett book I haven’t finished because I freaking hated it. The thing was rife with comic book level assholes, including the loving turtle. If I can’t sympathise with the characters overall (minus a villain or two) I won’t be able to get into the book/story. It’s why I absolutely couldn’t watch The Good Place. I legit hated everyone on it, and couldn’t enjoy myself.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

dino. posted:

Small Gods is the only Pratchett book I haven’t finished because I freaking hated it. The thing was rife with comic book level assholes, including the loving turtle. If I can’t sympathise with the characters overall (minus a villain or two) I won’t be able to get into the book/story. It’s why I absolutely couldn’t watch The Good Place. I legit hated everyone on it, and couldn’t enjoy myself.

:confused: You're not meant to sympathise with Vorbis, he's is literally the antagonist and an absolute piece of poo poo.

Om isn't much better but the whole point of the book is Om realising that Gods are assholes who don't deserve their worshippers, and that includes him.

I can't remember any other "comic book level assholes"

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If you sympathize with anyone in Small Gods who is remotely definable as a "villain", then you're really telling on yourself.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I think the only people in the book you're meant to identify with are Not Thomas Aquinus, Not Diogenes, the Not Man In Black Saffron, and that one dude in the reed raft that got swept up in the armada.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I felt a bit sorry for the Master Of Novices, who was a overall fairly nice man who was very hard on himself for the sin of Really Liking Boobies (and was also trapped in a hellish system of religion)

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I started with The Color of Magic in my first year of high school, in 2004 and was immediately hooked for some reason. It was recommended to me by a student teacher in one of my classes. I had recently read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy so that might have helped, I think the first 2 books have a very "Hitchhiker's Guide, but for fantasy" feel. I don't remember which one I read next, but I'm definitely responsible for my school's library doubling their collection of discworld books. One of the librarians also recommended Tom Holt, who has some decent books but none of them left as much of an imprint on me.

Mort is a very strong starting point though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The first Pratchett I read was a short story featuring Granny Weatherwax, then I went and started from The Color of Magic.

It's a good short story:

https://www.angelfire.com/weird2/athenia/stories/pterry/sea.htm

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Blimey, angelfire. :allears:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah I was surprised that the link worked haha

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just finished my re-read of Small Gods. What a fantastic book! Love the expansion of the world and in particular the world of gods. The desert being filled with billions of small gods buzzing around desperately trying to find a believer is a very fascinating image to me, it makes me think of a world where some other god elbowed away Yahweh at the critical moment and instead we’d have Grubalism or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The first Pratchett I read was a short story featuring Granny Weatherwax, then I went and started from The Color of Magic.

It's a good short story:

The Sea and Little Fishes is a great story, yes. So is Troll Bridge

You did just remind me to source a copy of Theatre of Cruelty, though.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's a good short story:

goddamn that sure is a website design

Thanks for linking it though, I almost forgot this one existed.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Xarn posted:

goddamn that sure is a website design

Thanks for linking it though, I almost forgot this one existed.

All it needs is a guest book, a webring link, and an Enya midi auto playing in the background to fully transport me back to 1997.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's a good short story:

I've only ever read The Sea And Little Fishes reposted on some janky website in the back rear end of nowhere, but that link went down years ago, so this is perfect

A bit from near the end, spoilered for people just running across this now

quote:

"What's empowerin' about witchcraft anyway?" said Granny. "It's a daft sort of a word."
"Search me," said Nanny. "I did start out in witchcraft to get boys, to tell you the truth."
"Think I don't know that?"
"What did you start out to get, Esme?"
Granny stopped, and looked up at the frosty sky and then down at the ground.
"Dunno," she said, at last. "Even, I suppose."

Ahh yeah, that's the stuff

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Edit: Whoops, wrong thread. Thanks for the heads up "Mad Hamish".

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 18, 2022

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think you may have intended to post that in the Wheel of Time thread.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Rereading Moving Pictures for the first time since I was young, and I don't think I understood even half the book the first time :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
At the Discworld Convention, and it’s fun but there’s a huge black space in the middle of everything, and it’s faintly depressing. The constant empty chair onstage is an apt metaphor:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

At the Discworld Convention, and it’s fun but there’s a huge black space in the middle of everything, and it’s faintly depressing. The constant empty chair onstage is an apt metaphor:

Lucky you. I had to cancel in 2018 due to holiday clashes, then 2020 didn't happen and the memberships all bumped to this year. There's people I haven't seen in years.

(Don't go out of your way or anything, but if you happen to run into one of ccooke, Aquarion, Kincaid or Random, do please tell them Jedit says hi to everyone. )

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jedit posted:

Lucky you. I had to cancel in 2018 due to holiday clashes, then 2020 didn't happen and the memberships all bumped to this year. There's people I haven't seen in years.

(Don't go out of your way or anything, but if you happen to run into one of ccooke, Aquarion, Kincaid or Random, do please tell them Jedit says hi to everyone. )

I was sat with them all for a fair bit of yesterday and today, and will again shortly! They’re all my era AFP friends too.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Anyone read 'A Slip of the Keyboard: Collected Nonfictions'?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FPyat posted:

Yes, but not since it came out. It's as Pterry as you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

FPyat posted:

If you want to read it and you’re in the uk I can send you a copy. It’s right here on my charity shop pile.

Edit: gonna regret this when I run out of things to burn and freeze to death in a few months