Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Powershift posted:

Dodge Hornet

There will be a GLS package on the lower end model which is still a 265hp 2.0t

R/T is a plug-in hybrid with 1.3 liter turbo + 44hp starter/generator driving the front axle and 121hp electic motor driving the rear which seems pretty neat.

Looks like an Alpha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

davecrazy posted:

Looks like an Alpha.

Funny you say that...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Looks like an Alpha.

That's because it is! e: ^:argh:

they apparently couldn't afford much new sheet metal, it looks like everything but the hood and bumper are the same.

The dodge is ~$7k cheaper per model.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

The dodge is ~$7k cheaper per model.

So the Alfa is now effectively a trim option on a midrange Dodge crossover?

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

Or is the Dodge a povo-trim Alfa?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Think of it more of a "Not a dodge" surcharge.

Consider how much passion and soul you can buy for $7000

Jeremy Clarkson must be rolling in his grave.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Powershift posted:

Jeremy Clarkson must be rolling in his grave.

You got me excited for a second there

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Wait till you see the Lancia Theta!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Wait till you see the Lancia Theta!

Theta is almost a decent looking car compared to its ancestor, the thesis

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

Theta is almost a decent looking car compared to its ancestor, the thesis

Ugliness is on the inside

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

mobby_6kl posted:

Thesis and theme best parts were the interiors after all, the Frau leather on the top spec cars was awesome.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Is the Chrysler nine-speed auto still an absolute gear-hunting piece of poo poo? I remember it being lambasted when the transverse "Cherokee" was released.

Per Jalopnik

quote:

To its credit, the Hornet is clearly aiming to be the spicy one among the myriad small SUVs on offer today. It comes only in two flavors: GT and R/T. Both have all-wheel drive standard, and the base powertrain in the GT is a turbocharged, two-liter four-cylinder producing 265 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque mated to a nine-speed transmission — segment-leading numbers, Dodge is quick to highlight. It’ll supposedly start below $30K.

No transmission mentioned for the hybrid. Does this mean CVT? I suppose it matters a lot less when there is a pretty powerful rear axle motor helping push things around.

The bright side of vehicles like this is the possibility of adapting that powered rear subframe assembly into something else. Mad Max that electric motor into a fun FWD car that would be better with AWD and more power. This is a Chrysler product, so the parts will be in junkyards before you know it.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 17, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It says 6-speed automatic for the PHEV in the article.

Also, new Celestiq spy photos are out if anyone has that kinda cash and is in this thread.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a40919705/cadillac-celestiq-prototype-testing/

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

PBCrunch posted:

Is the Chrysler nine-speed auto still an absolute gear-hunting piece of poo poo? I remember it being lambasted when the transverse "Cherokee" was released.

Per Jalopnik

No transmission mentioned for the hybrid. Does this mean CVT? I suppose it matters a lot less when there is a pretty powerful rear axle motor helping push things around.

The bright side of vehicles like this is the possibility of adapting that powered rear subframe assembly into something else. Mad Max that electric motor into a fun FWD car that would be better with AWD and more power. This is a Chrysler product, so the parts will be in junkyards before you know it.

Stellantis uses 6-7 gear DCT units on engines under 300hp, using the ZF 8-9 auto units only for high torque-hp poter units. The tonale uses a 7 gear DCT part on the 1,6l hybrid for instance.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

mobby_6kl posted:

Theres quite a bit of it on the outside too.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I guess a DCT paired with electric assist could be a decent combo. Hopefully the electric motor can iron out the low-speed clunkiness that everyone except VW gets when using DCTs. Hyundai/Kia apparently uses a DCT in some of its hybrid models.

The Juke and Murano convertible are at least creative ugly. Nissan tried some new stuff and it just didn't work. The BMW ix is disappointing because it is a mostly-OK-looking car with an aggressively ugly front clip.

Those wheels on the Alfa Tonale in that press shot look great.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Stellantis uses 6-7 gear DCT units on engines under 300hp, using the ZF 8-9 auto units only for high torque-hp poter units. The tonale uses a 7 gear DCT part on the 1,6l hybrid for instance.

In the US, the base 2.0t 265hp Hornet and Tonale are the 9 speed auto. The hybrid is a 6 speed auto with a 1.3 with a 44hp starter/generator but the rear axle is electric so there's no transfer case.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Pics or it didn't happen

lovely pic because it started raining right after I got the car. I was at the dealer for almost 4 hours. After they figured out the "is it ours" issue the holdup was a fill in finance guy covering while their normal person was in training. This picture doesn't do the color justice, it's really pretty.

The interior is gorgeous though and is what sold me on not waiting for the select. That and my girlfriend loved it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A Dodge with all the reliability of an Alfa? Where do I sign up!?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The PHEV also doesn't quality for the :911: tax credit because its made in Italy

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Speaking of the does the Rav4 Prime qualify for it? I've been pointing my friends towards it as the ultimate "normal person car".

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I don't think it's made in the US? Also they're like $75k with ADM now

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rav4 primes are made in japan. Rav4 Hybrids are made in Tennessee, The regular Rav4 is made in Canada.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

fknlo posted:

lovely pic because it started raining right after I got the car. I was at the dealer for almost 4 hours. After they figured out the "is it ours" issue the holdup was a fill in finance guy covering while their normal person was in training. This picture doesn't do the color justice, it's really pretty.

The interior is gorgeous though and is what sold me on not waiting for the select. That and my girlfriend loved it.

Congrats on the Carbon edition, I wish they put the garnet leather in the turbos instead of the black or white seats.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Throatwarbler posted:

I don't think it's made in the US? Also they're like $75k with ADM now

lmao

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

fknlo posted:

Sweet car, absolutely love mine. Though you should have gone with the red ;)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This is fine? Looks decent. They should also make cool looking EVs that don't have a billion horsepower though.

https://twitter.com/GeekyGearhead99/status/1560046615498563586?s=20&t=DRp9jVt9cDA6CgY-eO-r_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pCyfyeHEs

davecrazy posted:

Don’t get the point of fake exhaust.

People are afraid of change. Plus sound is an important part of the enjoyment of driving for a lot of people hence new ICE cars being so insulated from the outside world they pump fake engine noise into the interior. I assume you're able to turn it off but it's also a concept so it might not even happen if people go "but why?"

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 18, 2022

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Don’t get the point of fake exhaust.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's very funny to read comments saying "they should put a V8 in this"

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It sounds like a child's toy. The weird spacey noise in the background which is trying to be an engine idling is kinda cool though. Sound ominous which does fit with the looks of the car.

https://twitter.com/BurtoniMotors_/status/1560062087153459200?s=20&t=9MpxusLUvZmDOf6Q2dhBSQ

*edit: OK it's good. New Charger good.

https://twitter.com/jar_rosenholtz/status/1560045795004522496?s=20&t=Y68T15HfWimJ9IqiC9Bd5A

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 18, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The idle noise is kind of similar to Ford's electric truck pedestrian noise but with the bass cranked even higher.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm a v8 guy. I've owned a muscle car/v8 every day of my life since 2003.

My current daily drive is a Durango SRT 392.

This poo poo is right in my wheelhouse as a consumer, but the fake noise just seems do dumb.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a Challenger and I've been waiting for this to be revealed. I'm curious how much of the concept will make it to production... they have to be almost production-ready, right? I think it looks good but yeah I really don't get the point of the exhaust. It's kinda silly. I'm all about silly normally but that's dumb silly.

I'm curious how much it will cost. I love that it's a liftback though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

davecrazy posted:

I'm a v8 guy. I've owned a muscle car/v8 every day of my life since 2003.

My current daily drive is a Durango SRT 392.

This poo poo is right in my wheelhouse as a consumer, but the fake noise just seems do dumb.

It just sounds so obviously artificial that I don't like it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sab669 posted:

It just sounds so obviously artificial that I don't like it.
Yeah it sounds very bad. I think some sort of digitized scifi rumbling sound could be good for the low speed safety noise but the revving sounds is dumb and bad

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Can't wait for the hot EV mods where dorks increase the volume on their fake Challenger ~exhaust~ to annoy the poo poo out of everyone

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Can't wait for the hot EV mods where dorks increase the volume on their fake Challenger ~exhaust~ to annoy the poo poo out of everyone

How long until they re-route it through their sound system that shakes the entire neighborhood? :ohdear:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Pumping fake exhaust noise into the cabin is a hell of a lot better than pumping real exhaust noise into the cabin

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

The wheels on that electric Charger thing look great. They remind me of C4 Corvette sawblade wheels. Too bad we won't get those in real life. The front clip looks great. I like the hatchback.

The car itself looks terrible IMO. The front fenders and rear quarter panels are so tall. There is way too much beef above the wheel arches. The whole car looks like it has been heated up and squished in a vise lengthwise. Too stubby.

Is Dodge going to end up releasing this as an SUV "coupe"? The weird proportions and the hatchback rear honestly make more sense if the wheels and tires were much larger and the ground clearance was increased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Something about the way it looks is off. Like a giant stepped on it and crumpled it a bit. Not saying that it's too short, more that the body lines and proportions look like damage instead of intentional. It might partly be that paint that makes me think of tin foil.