Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You could always lol at how the Gollum game that's coming out looks like it was developed in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

just give me more orc murder simulator

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

WoodrowSkillson posted:

just give me more orc murder simulator

Probably gonna be a while before a Russo-Ukrainian War game comes out

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Judgy Fucker posted:

Probably gonna be a while before a Russo-Ukrainian War game comes out

:mad:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Dwarf Fortress but with Dwarves.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

keep punching joe posted:

Dwarf Fortress but with Dwarves.

That's actually coming next year!

https://www.pcgamer.com/co-op-survival-crafting-comes-to-middle-earth-in-lord-of-the-rings-return-to-moria/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It has a single player mode. I hate how every game has to hit those marketing buzzwords

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Well holy smokes.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Elf lord dating sim

Which son of Feanor will catch your eye??

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Can I mentally lathe a stardew valley clone where you are Sam replanting the Shire.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012

Phy posted:

Which son of Feanor will catch your eye??

You play Andreth, trying to get the good ending where you live happily ever after with Aegnor, but the game makes it impossible to avoid the bad ending where Finrod lectures you about free will.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i want a city builder in the style of banished

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
A video about those Shadow of War/Mordor games came into my youtube feed today and it got me wondering.....did "Tolkien purists" piss and moan or make as vocal of an uproar about the absolute insanely stupid creative liberties with the lore those games took or is it just because this time those changes made for Rings of Power involve black people and women?

I know the answer is obvious but I forgot completely about how wild some of the choices they made in those games were but I dont remember nearly as much collective anger from the internet.

IE Isildur and Helm the Hammerhand becoming Nazgul lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

AccountSupervisor posted:

A video about those Shadow of War/Mordor games came into my youtube feed today and it got me wondering.....did "Tolkien purists" piss and moan or make as vocal of an uproar about the absolute insanely stupid creative liberties with the lore those games took or is it just because this time those changes made for Rings of Power involve black people and women?

I know the answer is obvious but I forgot completely about how wild some of the choices they made in those games were but I dont remember nearly as much collective anger from the internet.

IE Isildur and Helm the Hammerhand becoming Nazgul lol

There was some backlash, yes, but I don't recall it being quite this strong. Sexy Shelob definitely caused an uproar though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm still mad about sexy shelob, yes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the purists mostly sensed that those ones in particular were a lost cause. I don't think purism is even the best angle to approach the Sexy Shelob howler. It's simply sexist.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

There was definitely a lot of pissing and moaning, particularly about Sexy Shelob, but nothing on the scale of Rings of Power. And yes, it's exactly why you think it is.

Though to be fair, the games themselves were fairly decent which probably gave them a bit more leeway. If they'd been terrible, the outcry would've been worse than it was.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’d read the term Sexy Shelob on SA several times and I never actually knew what it was about.

I just looked it up, and my, what a choice that was. I can understand if they wanted a female antagonist, but why go about it this way?

And what was the game’s rationale for how she was supposed to be able to assume a human form anyway?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Daughter of a potential Maiar and therefore able to take on the fair form of elf or man?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

MrMojok posted:

I’d read the term Sexy Shelob on SA several times and I never actually knew what it was about.

I just looked it up, and my, what a choice that was. I can understand if they wanted a female antagonist, but why go about it this way?

And what was the game’s rationale for how she was supposed to be able to assume a human form anyway?

Because Shelob is either a child of Ungoliant, or some related type of Ainur that came into Arda in the early days. That's the theory anyway. My beef with those games (as more of a purist) is more that it is really a modern fantasy style of game pasted over LOTR. LOTR is "different" enough from modern fantasy that I don't think that style of game really fits - Tolkien never quite went into detail about magic systems, or combat styles, or whatever like modern fantasy novels tend to do. So modern games that take place in Middle-earth tend to import a lot of the modern fantasy conventions, which of course mostly started with LOTR's influence in the 60s and 70s affecting things like D&D, but then filtered through decades of development and gamification (for better or worse). It bugs me in the same way some of the anachronistic things that pop into the movies bug me, things just feel out of place (e.g. Gimli talking about nervous systems)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

hannibal posted:

Because Shelob is either a child of Ungoliant, or some related type of Ainur that came into Arda in the early days. That's the theory anyway. My beef with those games (as more of a purist) is more that it is really a modern fantasy style of game pasted over LOTR. LOTR is "different" enough from modern fantasy that I don't think that style of game really fits - Tolkien never quite went into detail about magic systems, or combat styles, or whatever like modern fantasy novels tend to do. So modern games that take place in Middle-earth tend to import a lot of the modern fantasy conventions, which of course mostly started with LOTR's influence in the 60s and 70s affecting things like D&D, but then filtered through decades of development and gamification (for better or worse). It bugs me in the same way some of the anachronistic things that pop into the movies bug me, things just feel out of place (e.g. Gimli talking about nervous systems)

I mean, Tolkien himself mentions a freight train or locomotive at the beginning of FOTR. I know the whole “this is a modern translation of the Red Book of…” bullshit but that’s just papering over a mistake. I find complaints about anachronisms pretty tedious in the grand scheme of things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's not the anachronism that bothers me about Sexy Shelob, it's that it just strikes me as crass commercial capitalism sexualizing literally anything vaguely female because sexy art sells more copies of the game than a non-sexualized spider would.

You might as well make one of those facebook boob "milord" games starring Rosie Cotton as the arm candy. It's just crass and shallow and sexist.

I'm not particularly excited bout the new adaptation but it might surprise me and be great. I'm kinda not really expecting it to be "Tolkien" at all -- they're "adapting" a few pages of Silmarillion out into a five season epic, it'll fly or fail on the merits of the current writing staff, not anything Tolkien put on a page.

That said, I suspect the main differences between the reaction to Shadow of Mordor and the "reaction" we're seeing these days is because of a few reasons:

1) Shadow of Mordor came out in 2014 before the culture of making GBS threads all over every new adaptation of everything for being "too woke" had really taken off online (I feel like it got started and became a self-perpetuation shitball somewhere around 2016)

2) The new adaptation is casting black people and women, yes.

Mahoning posted:

I mean, Tolkien himself mentions a freight train or locomotive at the beginning of FOTR. I know the whole “this is a modern translation of the Red Book of…” bullshit but that’s just papering over a mistake. I find complaints about anachronisms pretty tedious in the grand scheme of things.

There's something more interesting going on there actually, I feel. All the "anachronisms" (umbrellas, trains, etc.) are mentioned in Hobbiton. It's because as we move forward in the story, we're moving backward in British Time, from the Edwardian era back through the middle ages (Bree, Rivendell), through Anglo-Saxon Britain (the Rohirrim) to High Roman Britain (Gondor).

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 18, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

hannibal posted:

Yeah, I think I see what you mean. Tom Bombadil isn't powerful because he's a level 300 arch-something with a +7 to BLT who takes half damage from AGV. He's just Tom Bombadil.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Ungoliant might be a Maiar though there’s no especially good reason to just assume that but regardless even if it/she was any offspring would not have any ability to change their form as seen with Luthien and her being half Maiar.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ungoliant is from beyond the walls of Night, isn't she? I thought, whatever she was, she was categorically not part of Eru's creation

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Mameluke posted:

Ungoliant is from beyond the walls of Night, isn't she? I thought, whatever she was, she was categorically not part of Eru's creation

She's not categorically ANYTHING because everything we've got is explicitly the elves going "we don't know this is our best guess."

However... she straight up lived in Valinor before Morgoth recruited her. The place where Valar and Maiar live. Which kinda... gestures frantically in a certain direction.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mameluke posted:

I think that it's a pretty radical reading to reach a conclusion that would imply that anything isn't part of Eru's creation. More likely she is a part of it that the elves, or Manwë, or the other Valar and Maiar in general, don't understand well, being associated with darkness and all.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

reignonyourparade posted:

She's not categorically ANYTHING because everything we've got is explicitly the elves going "we don't know this is our best guess."

However... she straight up lived in Valinor before Morgoth recruited her. The place where Valar and Maiar live. Which kinda... gestures frantically in a certain direction.

She lived in Aman, not Valinor. There is a big difference. Large parts of Aman just aren't inhabited. Valinor is the part of Aman that the Vala and Maia live in, they explicitly did not live in the place that Ungoliant came from.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
She’s not in Valinor, she’s clung on to the foot of the Pelori so she can hide in the mountains shadow. She’s drawn to the light from outside, but doesn’t dare come into it alone. Imo, creation of Iluvatar who came down from the Void.

In the Book of Lost Tales the spider, in keeping with the more “mythic” or archetypal character of the writing, is clearly darkness/void incarnate.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I forget where I heard it, but I read something in a fan speculation that Ungoliant could have been something created from the dissonance that came from Melkor causing trouble in the singing part of the Silmarillion.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Absolutely everything in existence is the work of some part of Illuvatar’s mind in service of his grand design. This fact is what ultimately drove Melkor to dive into deeper depths of resentment and then hatred toward any and all things. But there are pretty compelling theories that some of the more mysterious and unexplained things such as Ungoliant or the Nameless Things deep under Moria may be the byproduct of Melkor’s discord introduced during creation. These would be things that not only predate the first Elves by essentially infinite time but would also predate most if not all of the Ainur descending into Arda for the first time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I promise I only do this like once a year but

Maia, Vala = singular
Maiar, Valar = plural

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Data Graham posted:

Maia, Vala = singular
Maiar, Valar = plural

Graham I am pretty sure you did this about two weeks ago in your Rings of Power thread!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ok once a year starting ... now

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Personally I find the too often argued take that the Silmarillion is written in the form of an unreliable and biased narrator pretty dumb and really just an unnecessary attempt to be contrarian. Yes it is accurate that it’s essentially the in-universe Elvish biblical account of creation and the early days of Arda but the difference between that and the real life Bible, and especially even older mythological tales, is that several of the key figures who took part in these events were still alive and well in the LoTR. Galadriel was only one generation removed from the first born Elves and grew up with them. And plenty more Elves, including those who were among the very first awoken, are still hanging around in Valinor with the lower case G gods who know first hand everything since before the universe was a thing. So they really do know first or second hand what happened in mythological times.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

In addition to what's been said before, video games are even below animated works in how much book purists care. Live adaptations are far and away most expected to become the platonic idea of the source material; everything else gets held to lower standards.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I find the too often argued take that the Silmarillion is written in the form of an unreliable and biased narrator pretty dumb and really just an unnecessary attempt to be contrarian. Yes it is accurate that it’s essentially the in-universe Elvish biblical account of creation and the early days of Arda but the difference between that and the real life Bible, and especially even older mythological tales, is that several of the key figures who took part in these events were still alive and well in the LoTR. Galadriel was only one generation removed from the first born Elves and grew up with them. And plenty more Elves, including those who were among the very first awoken, are still hanging around in Valinor with the lower case G gods who know first hand everything since before the universe was a thing. So they really do know first or second hand what happened in mythological times.

I get what you mean, but I just think about Elrond there neither confirming nor denying anything in Bilbo's poem about his dad.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My read on Ungoliant is that it's a spin on the CS Lewis "There are other worlds and God/Christ show themselves in different ways in these places" idea - something from another world that has forced its way through the void/nothingness.

You know, just typing it out now this is also starting to remind me of Milton's Satan carving a path through the chaos and Sin and Death following. I might do a close reading some time of relevant passages in both and if I find something interesting I'll post.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Personally I find the too often argued take that the Silmarillion is written in the form of an unreliable and biased narrator pretty dumb and really just an unnecessary attempt to be contrarian.

This isn't talking about "we can't trust what the text tells us" though, this is specifically talking about the text going "we don't know for sure." The subject of conversation isn't the general case it's Ungoliant Specifically.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Shadow of War rules and sexy shelob was fine. Sauron has just become a werewolf and a giant bat for no reason in the past, so its not like shapeshifting has hard and fast rules in Tolkien. The point is her character seduces talion with words anyway, she is hardly even sexualized other than not being an ugly woman. People should have been more up in arms of her purported romance with Sauron than her taking on another form temporarily. It's made explicit to the player that she is using that form to make herself more amenable to Talion to manipulate him, and since he is a giant idiot he falls right into it.

The stuff with the Nazgul was fine. I thought it was at least an interesting attempt at a fresh spin on a part of the story. Tolkien never named the nazgul besides Khamul anyway. It was a neat idea to imagine that the 9 have not been static since they were turned, but instead Sauron has continued to use the 9 rings for men to corrupt further, more advantageous victims like Isildur, Helm Hammerhand, and then Talion later after he kills/frees Isildur.

Oh also people got mad that one of the playable characters in the first game was a woman, and in the second game its a black dude from Umbar that grew up and served in Gondor's army.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Data Graham posted:

Maia, Vala = singular
Maiar, Valar = plural

drat, I'll turn in my Tolkien Superfan card now. :(

Mahoning posted:

True, but that's not one of the characters saying it. The nervous system thing is a movie example, I know, but to me it takes me out of the world a bit.