Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Eediot Jedi posted:

Paint kill teams and warbands all day, then let people borrow your spares to play intro games. If they're already into 40k/sigmar it won't be hard to divert them into skirmish games.

They just put up a "core rules" for Kill Team, a 3 page PDF rules summary and an Intercessor team list that's really good. That'll be a handy reference for new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

WIP not sure where to go from here besides layering and since this was speedpaint that may not work well

Bored Online posted:

Varnish, or thinning with the medium, is supposed to prevent reactivation issues.

I did some Delaque with speedpaint, matte varnished them, and was able to paint on them after that as normal with no issues.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
What are a good set of brushes for a beginner (it's been over 20 years since I painted anything)?

I'll mostly be working through a backload of old lead, if that makes a difference

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

A nice size 2-or-so, and one or two cheap makeup brushes from the supermarket.

A sharp 2 will do exactly as fine a line as a tiny one, and will hold more paint so you don't have to keep going back to the palette all the time. The makeup brushes are for drybrushing and washing, since you don't want to do either with your nice expensive ones. You might also want a less expensive, synthetic size 2 for metallics if you're planning to use those, since the metal flakes in the paint will likewise damage the bristles over time.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gambrinus posted:

What are a good set of brushes for a beginner (it's been over 20 years since I painted anything)?

I'll mostly be working through a backload of old lead, if that makes a difference

A pack of cheap synthetics that has round brushes of various sizes. I do 90% of my painting with number 8 "Artsmith" brushes that I got at Michaels or Joaanes or someplace like that. Also, brush sizes are "made up nonsense", so one company's #8 will be the same size as another company's #4 which is the same size as someone else's #2, etc. Paint with cheap disposable brushes till you find the size / shape you like, then you can invest in a fancy one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I have had really good luck with these. They don't last forever, but under 10 bucks for 5 is pretty good. So you can use them for metal or contrast or painting fur and not feel too bad that it is terrible for the brush. I have had good luck with all of them coming with good tips as well. I have been trying dozens of different brushes and whatnot and it seems a lot of the synthetic ones just don't last forever. I have two kolinsky sable brushes I have literally never used because I worry that I will ruin them, haha.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T13NBG5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lumpy posted:

A pack of cheap synthetics that has round brushes of various sizes. I do 90% of my painting with number 8 "Artsmith" brushes that I got at Michaels or Joaanes or someplace like that. Also, brush sizes are "made up nonsense", so one company's #8 will be the same size as another company's #4 which is the same size as someone else's #2, etc. Paint with cheap disposable brushes till you find the size / shape you like, then you can invest in a fancy one.

I've been using these as my go-to lovely synthetics. Just look up "classroom brushes" as they're meant for kids to destroy so they'll be fine for basecoats, texture paste, glue, etc

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V983ZK

ironically, the suggested bundle on amazon is actually a pretty decent looking starter kit

these for highlights, eyes, fine detail some fancy brushes. I haven't tried out the first pack but the second is pretty good for the price.
https://www.amazon.com/AIEX-Miniature-Painting-Brushes-Watercolor/dp/B07PJ5GMX7/
https://www.amazon.com/ZEM-BRUSH-Kolinsky-Artist-Detail/dp/B00M7HPVV2/

However generally speaking, this advice is really correct, so don't worry about getting the smallest brushes you can.

Siivola posted:

A nice size 2-or-so, and one or two cheap makeup brushes from the supermarket.

A sharp 2 will do exactly as fine a line as a tiny one, and will hold more paint so you don't have to keep going back to the palette all the time. The makeup brushes are for drybrushing and washing, since you don't want to do either with your nice expensive ones. You might also want a less expensive, synthetic size 2 for metallics if you're planning to use those, since the metal flakes in the paint will likewise damage the bristles over time.

And some makeup brushes for drybrushing, stippling, looking pretty etc
https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Eyeshadow-Eyeliner-Blending-Detailer/dp/B07PRFTX6Z/

Edit: I also highly recommend getting a pencil case or something to store your brushes in. Also brush soap.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 17, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

Edit: I also highly recommend getting a pencil case or something to store your brushes in. Also brush soap.
I use an empty olive jar and hand soap. :shobon:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Siivola posted:

I use an empty olive jar and hand soap. :shobon:

i call my empty olive jar the "Vallejo Branded Water Pot"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Talenti Gelato comes in plastic containers with a threaded lid, and is the perfect size for a water pot or brush holder. I also like to use them for little catch basins when I do basing work as it is deep enough that capturing the material that falls off is relatively easy. Plus it is pretty good Gelato. I get it at Safeway, but probably is widely available.

https://www.talentigelato.com/us/en

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Cheers all, I went with a random 10 brush set thing off Amazon, and some Vallejo paints.

I haven't painted anything since some dwarves in 2000/2001. Finally got a gyrocopter though, which I always fancied.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Talenti Gelato comes in plastic containers with a threaded lid, and is the perfect size for a water pot or brush holder. I also like to use them for little catch basins when I do basing work as it is deep enough that capturing the material that falls off is relatively easy. Plus it is pretty good Gelato. I get it at Safeway, but probably is widely available.

https://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Newton-Silicoil-Brush-Cleaning/dp/B0027ACEI2/

I got one of these for :10bux: and like it personally

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

:hfive: fellow "Talenti container as water pot" user :v:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sydney Bottocks posted:

:hfive: fellow "Talenti container as water pot" user :v:

Yeah, when I was at the grocery store my first thought was "OH, that would be perfect!", and it gave me an excuse to try out a few of their flavors.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So I tried airbrushing for the second first time tonight and it was a loving mess. I'm using a Badger Patriot 105 and after I got everything set up, I put some airbrush thinner in the cup and it started dripping out the front. I added a little primer, tried to backfill it and it made a mess but that's on me, I pushed the trigger down and it started spraying immediately. What I think I needed to do was loosen the chuck and push the needle all the way out, that stopped the dripping but it's now sticking out so much, I worry about it getting bumped and bent out of shape or stabbing my fingers when I try to backfill. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

rantmo posted:

So I tried airbrushing for the second first time tonight and it was a loving mess. I'm using a Badger Patriot 105 and after I got everything set up, I put some airbrush thinner in the cup and it started dripping out the front. I added a little primer, tried to backfill it and it made a mess but that's on me, I pushed the trigger down and it started spraying immediately. What I think I needed to do was loosen the chuck and push the needle all the way out, that stopped the dripping but it's now sticking out so much, I worry about it getting bumped and bent out of shape or stabbing my fingers when I try to backfill. Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

No, the needle on the 105 sticks out

Other models of airbrush have a guard as part of the nozzle to protect the needle, but not the 105 for some reason

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

You should load up a how to vid for the patriot. That's what I did with my Sotar.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Base isn't dry but did some work on another one tonight

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

I will say that my second try, after pushing the needle all the way forward, went much better. I've got plenty to learn about using the drat thing, but I'm definitely at the point where any other problems will be user error/the limitations of a rechargeable air compressor. I also learned that the light in my dining room is absolutely insufficient for this because black primer onto grey plastic should not be as difficult to track as it was for me, but I have LED lights I can move into position next time.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished a few more Rumbleslam characters.

The legendary Grave Digger

The Brothers Berserk

And the mysterious Gobba

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I'm tellin ya'll, you just need two IKEA Tertials with some daylight bulbs and you're good to go for any painting light needs

(not my setup, because I'd be pointing both lights at what I'm actually painting)

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

rantmo posted:

I will say that my second try, after pushing the needle all the way forward, went much better. I've got plenty to learn about using the drat thing, but I'm definitely at the point where any other problems will be user error/the limitations of a rechargeable air compressor. I also learned that the light in my dining room is absolutely insufficient for this because black primer onto grey plastic should not be as difficult to track as it was for me, but I have LED lights I can move into position next time.

it might be worth just doing a session practicing doing lines and shapes on a paper towel to get a feel for the basic mechanics and how the spray changes with distance and different pressure.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Eej posted:

I'm tellin ya'll, you just need two IKEA Tertials with some daylight bulbs and you're good to go for any painting light needs

(not my setup, because I'd be pointing both lights at what I'm actually painting)

Yes, two bright lights is so much better for painting as well as taking pictures! If you wanna glow up your phone pictures giving phone cameras good lighting usually let's them do a decent job.

My one hobby tip so far is keeping a phone note called "Hobby" and every time a thread in TG that has good tips (or links!) to good sources for minis, paints, 3D printed bits, brushes, content creators yadda yadda I can keep it and find it later. Thanks for the brush talk y'all

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

After seeing the rumbleslam characters I thought this was a thumbnail for a ring for them to perform in.

:argh:

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

it might be worth just doing a session practicing doing lines and shapes on a paper towel to get a feel for the basic mechanics and how the spray changes with distance and different pressure.

That had been my intention, I bought a sketchbook just for that too, but I'm excited to get back to painting after a few years off and so I didn't want to waste that momentum and priming has enough of a margin for error that I jumped right in. I'm glad I did too and I'm excited to do more tonight, once I get the trigger back in place, that is, the fucker popped out and I wasn't having any luck getting it to stay back in, but there are plenty of videos that will help me figure out what small thing I'm doing wrong there.

I'm terribly jealous of people who have permanent painting stations.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Superb. I just bought my first gyrocopter last week (same as the bottom one I think). Always wanted a dwarf army when I was a kid but couldn't afford it then.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Gambrinus posted:

Superb. I just bought my first gyrocopter last week (same as the bottom one I think). Always wanted a dwarf army when I was a kid but couldn't afford it then.

Nice one! I didn't know that it existed till recently when i spotted it on ebay, hopefully yours doesnt have parts with mould slip like mine did, took some cleaning

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Catching up on some old grey piles. I loving love painting Death Guard

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I finally got my tertials set up and agreed with everyone else, having two lights has been great on my eyes if nothing else.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 18, 2022

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Has anyone tried these colorshift paints? https://turbodork.com/collections/turboshift-paints wondering how well they work without an airbrush, or how good the brand is in general.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

neaden posted:

Has anyone tried these colorshift paints? https://turbodork.com/collections/turboshift-paints wondering how well they work without an airbrush, or how good the brand is in general.

It's a good brand, with excellent customer service. If you get a bottle that went off due to freezing temperatures during transport or some other issue, they'll sort you out quickly. They have an active Facebook group with users and the company sharing info. I have hand brushed them, and they're fine for it, but you'll have to do lots of thin coats, and even then it won't look quite as smooth as an airbrush.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

neaden posted:

I haven't tried the turboshifts on anything but spoons, but I did use Absinthe by brushing it on a mini primed black with a white zenithal on it and it looks really good.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 18, 2022

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Thanks, I'll pick some up to play around with.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I needed a goblin break and realized that I had one of the infamous Primaris Lieutenants lying around

the first (and probably only) member of The Unseen chapter.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

I haven't tried the turboshifts on anything but spoons, but I did use Absinthe by brushing it on a mini primed black with a white zenithal on it and it looks really good.

Welp, gonna have to get me some Turbo Dork paints for when I get around to printing up and painting some of One Page Rules' Robot Legion figures.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Winklebottom posted:

I needed a goblin break and realized that I had one of the infamous Primaris Lieutenants lying around

*chefs kiss*

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Winklebottom posted:

Beautiful!

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Winklebottom posted:

That color scheme owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lumpy posted:

Beautiful!

Loden Taylor posted:

That color scheme owns

Thanks! It’s embarrassingly close to my goblin scheme, but Incubi Darkness, Kabalite Green and Sybarite Green are probably my favorite paints