Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
There are a lot of weirdos out there defending Miller. The internet was ultimately a huge mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Joe Fisto posted:

There are a lot of weirdos out there defending Miller. The internet was ultimately a huge mistake.

Their studio and manager released a two sentence apology for their recent mental health trauma that caused them to groom several teens and tweens 6 years ago and choke a woman 3 years ago. What more can they possibly do?

Move on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Joe Fisto posted:

They were in Harry Potter and Justice League, two of the most insanely dedicate fanbases to ever exist. That's enough to give you a pass on nearly anything. (Even Rowling still gets a lot of a pass and she would have gotten a full pass if she could keep her horrible bigot mouth shut.)

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I’d forgotten about the Potter connection. That makes more sense to me compared to the Flash, since like you mentioned Rowling still gets a pass despite her unabashed bigotry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh I guess with HP, Warner Bros is actually doubly committed to Ezra Miller, then.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Nah, the most recent HP film had their character in the process of dying for vague reasons which the ending left unresolved. In the unlikely event of another entry into that series they probably won't be back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sure they'll make another. Mads Mikkelson was just quoted a couple of days ago hinting at Johnny Depp returning to the role.

His propaganda campaign was successful and most people will never hear about the unsealed records.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:lmao: if they bring Depp back. Even if you, for some awful reason, ignored that the man is quite simply radioactive, going back to him would be the most baffling experience to have as a viewer of those movies. Though, I watched the second Fantastic Beasts recently and that movie is mind-numbing, so maybe people wouldn't notice after all.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I get it from a soulless studio exec POV. Harry Potter in general is radioactive now thanks to Rowling, and the Fantastic Beasts series has never been a critical darling or anything so it’s not like bringing Depp back is going to lose you any fans. If anything it’ll probably bring more in thanks to him and his PR team astroturfing the poo poo out of that trial.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think that franchise is dead because nobody cares about any of that poo poo outside of the school or Harry Potter

Like I think the only thing they could do to get people back would be to remake the books into movies again lol

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I get it from a soulless studio exec POV. Harry Potter in general is radioactive now thanks to Rowling, and the Fantastic Beasts series has never been a critical darling or anything so it’s not like bringing Depp back is going to lose you any fans. If anything it’ll probably bring more in thanks to him and his PR team astroturfing the poo poo out of that trial.

If there's anything I learned by gazing into the hellmouth that is Twitter post-trial, it's that Johnny Depp has a toxic fanbase on par with Snyderbros so yeah, putting him back in a movie would probably drive ticket sales.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really wouldn’t be surprised if someone on Depps team was getting paid to put out a social media campaign.

It didn’t help that Heard’s lawyer seemed like a random woman she found in the grocery store.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Karloff posted:

I mean the best part of Disney Plus is that they pretty much have their entire back catalogue (with very few but notable exceptions). I don't have HBO Max (not in UK) but I gather it wasn't like that? Just curated WB films, but if it had everything then that would be amazing, whatever mood you're, whether for a 30s gangster film for The Shining or Batman it would all be there. That would be the main selling point for me, though obviously many would differ. I don't know why they didn't offer that service though.

There's a ton of poo poo on HBOMAX. In fact they have a classic section of movies that I bookmarked ten movies out of that I still haven't seen but plan to. It's a deluge of product. It's why I don't really see myself giving it up for at least awhile

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Shageletic posted:

There's a ton of poo poo on HBOMAX. In fact they have a classic section of movies that I bookmarked ten movies out of that I still haven't seen but plan to. It's a deluge of product. It's why I don't really see myself giving it up for at least awhile

Better watch those movies fast. WBD has been absolutely massacring even the back catalogue of content in the past few days. The just announced a bunch of Cartoon Network (which WBD owns) content and even HBO Max originals are being removed at the end of the month.
https://tvline.com/2022/08/17/hbo-max-removed-tv-shows-generation-close-enough-elmo-full-list/

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

To be honest I’ve heard of like 1% of the things that people have listed them pulling.

But also like HBOMax pulls like 50 titles every month. So I honestly have no idea what to make of it. I’m just treating it as I always do. I look at the Last Chance section and if there’s something on it I really want to see I bump it up the list.

But I think a big part of the anger from people is that HBO Max did absolutely have a big catalog. And I think they still do. But everyone’s now convinced they’re losing that so they’re understandably upset.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

STAC Goat posted:

But I think a big part of the anger from people is that HBO Max did absolutely have a big catalog. And I think they still do. But everyone’s now convinced they’re losing that so they’re understandably upset.
People aren't convinced they're losing the catalogue, they're legitimately losing poo poo that was in the works or had been OK.

With next to mo justification.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FilthyImp posted:

People aren't convinced they're losing the catalogue, they're legitimately losing poo poo that was in the works or had been OK.

With next to mo justification.

I’m disappointed they pulled Batgirl and that stuff is legit. But also there’s a lot of hysteria about HBO Max ending all scripted tv and pulling everything from the service. And like there doesn’t seem to be a lot of clear evidence of that stuff? Some stuff is being pulled but some stuff is always getting pulled. So like… am I wrong? Am I missing something? It all still seems really up in the air and rooted in internet gossip.

None of this is in anyway defending Discovery’s decisions and the things they have done.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

STAC Goat posted:

I’m disappointed they pulled Batgirl and that stuff is legit. But also there’s a lot of hysteria about HBO Max ending all scripted tv and pulling everything from the service. And like there doesn’t seem to be a lot of clear evidence of that stuff? Some stuff is being pulled but some stuff is always getting pulled. So like… am I wrong? Am I missing something? It all still seems really up in the air and rooted in internet gossip.

None of this is in anyway defending Discovery’s decisions and the things they have done.

HBO Max had said they are ending most (but, not all) original scripted TV that is HBO Max exclusive. There will still be scripted TV on the service, but most of the streaming-exclusive TV series are getting cancelled.

They are also not doing streaming-exclusive movies anymore.

But, those are developments going forward. They aren't pulling the back catalogue or anything.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

But, those are developments going forward. They aren't pulling the back catalogue or anything.

They just pulled a bunch of their back catalogue

https://tvline.com/2022/08/17/hbo-max-removed-tv-shows-generation-close-enough-elmo-full-list/

like yeah stuff cycles on and off services all the time but 20 Max originals is uhhh a bad look

e: wait this was even posted above

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

HBO Max had said they are ending most (but, not all) original scripted TV that is HBO Max exclusive. There will still be scripted TV on the service, but most of the streaming-exclusive TV series are getting cancelled.

I feel like the official statements have still been kind of vague? Like I thing the main takeaway is that Discovery thinks it’s a huge waste of money to do streaming exclusive stuff especially for niche audiences. It wants those big Disney+ crossover shows if anything. But like it also seems like a possible interpretation for that could be “If the Flight Attendant is so good why weren’t we airing it Sunday nights on HBO?” Which seems like a fair question. So maybe part of this is a reshuffling so that the top of the HBOMax projects turn into HBO shows and theatrical releases?

Of course not everything like Batgirl will get that even if it’s the case. And that sucks because less content means less hidden gems and niche favorites. It means I’m probably not gonna randomly stumble on something like Made For Love after two seasons despite never hearing a word about it. Which I can see why that might not be a great business strategy but certainly for the audience less content is worse.

But like… it feels like exactly what is gonna happen big picture is still super up in the air. And I’m not sure what to make of the “leaving HBO Max” lists since like you could have made them any month. Which isn’t to say I do know that they’re not clearing out certain content for some reason. I just don’t know and I haven’t seen a clear pattern or design.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, yes they are. They're pulling a ton of cartoons, according to that article.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like the official statements have still been kind of vague? Like I thing the main takeaway is that Discovery thinks it’s a huge waste of money to do streaming exclusive stuff especially for niche audiences. It wants those big Disney+ crossover shows if anything. But like it also seems like a possible interpretation for that could be “If the Flight Attendant is so good why weren’t we airing it Sunday nights on HBO?” Which seems like a fair question. So maybe part of this is a reshuffling so that the top of the HBOMax projects turn into HBO shows and theatrical releases?

This is just wishcasting. There is no evidence of this and no reason to believe it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Arist posted:

This is just wishcasting. There is no evidence of this and no reason to believe it.

I literally said I have no idea and it seems open for interpretation. I guess I’m just tired of the internet always doomcasting everything and picking fights over it. But then what am I doing on the internet picking fights? That’s on me.

In conclusion I don’t know anything, I’m kind of dumb, and I’m sorry if something you liked got cancelled or is being unceremoniously removed with no guarantee do ever returning. That sucks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Arist posted:

Uh, yes they are. They're pulling a ton of cartoons, according to that article.

Yeah, but I was talking about the original scripted content. They aren't dumping all of it off the service entirely, even if they aren't making much more going forward. You can still watch Peacemaker and the other shows that they fully cancelled are all remaining on there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That's not true. Close Enough was an HBO Max original and they're taking that off the platform.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

From the article, it's sounding like some of this is also completed work that is being shelved and never released for tax breaks, similar to what they did with Batgirl.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Blockhouse posted:

They just pulled a bunch of their back catalogue

like yeah stuff cycles on and off services all the time but 20 Max originals is uhhh a bad look

e: wait this was even posted above

From the article linked

quote:

By removing series and movies from its library, HBO Max no longer has to pay licensing fees for them, which is a bottom line-boosting measure for the streamer even when said checks are being made out to sister company Warner Bros. Television.

It is stupid though. Removing already completed content is asinine. The new platform isn't slated for launch until next year too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh wait, they are worried about paying licensing fees... To a different division of the *same company*??

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fangz posted:

Oh wait, they are worried about paying licensing fees... To a different division of the *same company*??

Hollywood accounting is some wild black hole poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

It's just this classic organization chart only replace Microsoft with Warner Bros Discovery.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Better watch those movies fast. WBD has been absolutely massacring even the back catalogue of content in the past few days. The just announced a bunch of Cartoon Network (which WBD owns) content and even HBO Max originals are being removed at the end of the month.

What the loving gently caress, why remove Close Enough???? Y'all made the goddamn thing.

Oh yeah Young Justice season 5 got the axe. :smith:

I love the TCM chunk of HBO Max it functions as a Criterion Lite for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jiro posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuccckkkkk :gibs:

STAC Goat posted:

But like it also seems like a possible interpretation for that could be “If the Flight Attendant is so good why weren’t we airing it Sunday nights on HBO?”
I mean, it's a separate branch of the company. It might drive subs, or maybe interest in HBO proper. Maybe they do a thing where you get the advanced release streaming and a day later it airs? There's no reason an exec should be wondering why a streaming show isn't on the channel proper save for abject idiocy and tribalism.

Who the gently caress cares since who would prioritize HBO Cable subs in this day and age!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jiro posted:

I'm currently watching young justice for the first time and am enjoying the show immensely so i went to confirm this news.

All I have found is rumors and speculation. The showrunner has said he hasn't heard anything about renewal or canceling. The show was only ever ordered for 1 season for HBO Max. WBD hasn't made any comment of Young Justice yet either.

There is still hope.

https://tvline.com/lists/she-hulk-spider-man-cameo-rumors/ posted:

Is there any news, one way or the other, about a Young Justice Season 5? –Morris
HBO Max from go had only ordered a single season of the onetime Cartoon Network and DC Universe series, and that plan has not changed. There are currently no plans for a Season 5, I am told.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 18, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fangz posted:

This is a thing in the entire industry, and as silly as it sounds, there actually is a good reason. People have contracts that give them a percentage of the streaming revenue, so one division of the company does in fact have to pay a different division for the rights -- and they've got to pay a fair price, too, or the people with contracts can sue them for self-dealing at below market rates to cut them out of money they were entitled to.

Also in Death of WB news, HBO Max just cut their prices by 30% if you sign up for a year, which is not at all a desperation move, no sir. The deal goes away in October, so that puts a very probable date of October 2023 for DiscoverBO+Max or whatever it ends up being called.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Jiro posted:

All according to plan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

CapnAndy posted:

This is a thing in the entire industry, and as silly as it sounds, there actually is a good reason. People have contracts that give them a percentage of the streaming revenue, so one division of the company does in fact have to pay a different division for the rights -- and they've got to pay a fair price, too, or the people with contracts can sue them for self-dealing at below market rates to cut them out of money they were entitled to.

Also in Death of WB news, HBO Max just cut their prices by 30% if you sign up for a year, which is not at all a desperation move, no sir. The deal goes away in October, so that puts a very probable date of October 2023 for DiscoverBO+Max or whatever it ends up being called.

They already announced that June 2023 is when the new merged streaming service is coming out (in North America at least).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

That doesn't make sense. Even if the contracts pay a share of the streaming revenue, internal cashflow between divisions doesn't factor into that at all. Besides, this payment doesn't matter to the company bottom line. If the streaming side of business is paying a ton of licensing fees to the production side of the company... that's just a measure of how well the business is cooperating! The only cashflows that matter is the production side's costs, compared to the profits made by the streaming side.

It's like waiters at a restaurant throwing dishes in the bin to "cut costs". The job of the waiters is to deliver the product to the customer!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fangz posted:

That doesn't make sense. Even if the contracts pay a share of the streaming revenue, internal cashflow between divisions doesn't factor into that at all.
It really does. Let's say that me and you both get signed to star in different movies tomorrow. You're going to star in Movie A for Disney, and I'm going to star in Movie B for Sony. We have identical contracts of $5 million up front plus 5% of the gross profit. A and B both make exactly $200 million at the box office. So far, we've each made $15 million.

But now the movies are out of theaters. Sony doesn't have a streaming service, so they shop B around. Netflix buys the streaming rights for the next 5 years for $20 million. Disney hands A off to Disney+ forever and, according to you, pays nothing, since internal cashflow between divisions doesn't factor in at all. Now I've made $16 million, and you've still only made $15 -- and I'm going to get another check in 5 years, whereas you're done. Is that fair to you?

gently caress no, of course it's not. Disney+ needs to pay Disney for the streaming rights, and they'd better be paying awfully close to $20 million for 5 years if not more, or you're gonna sue them. You don't care if the streaming fees are just a credit on one division's books and a debit on another without any actual money moving, you're entitled to your cut.

quote:

Besides, this payment doesn't matter to the company bottom line. If the streaming side of business is paying a ton of licensing fees to the production side of the company... that's just a measure of how well the business is cooperating! The only cashflows that matter is the production side's costs, compared to the profits made by the streaming side.

It's like waiters at a restaurant throwing dishes in the bin to "cut costs". The job of the waiters is to deliver the product to the customer!
This, on the other hand, is mostly true. (Those streaming percentages that the talent are entitled to do take money away from the company's bottom line.) A smart company would indeed understand the purpose of owning their own streaming service and be willing to tolerate it as a loss leader, especially if it was a young service still growing its userbase. But there is absolutely no evidence that Discovery is a smart company.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

This, on the other hand, is mostly true. (Those streaming percentages that the talent are entitled to do take money away from the company's bottom line.) A smart company would indeed understand the purpose of owning their own streaming service and be willing to tolerate it as a loss leader, especially if it was a young service still growing its userbase. But there is absolutely no evidence that Discovery is a smart company.

Four or five shows about strip mining for gold, and about five shows about 90 Day Fiancés would say otherwise. :colbert: ............... :v:

Remember when Discovery Channel was about science stuff? Pepperidge Farm remembers........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I was going to say at least we have forged in fire then I remembered it was on the history channel