Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Oh look lots of new posts on the Jan 6 thread maybe something big happened regarding the investigation.

Oh it's all just talk about the Russian Civil War....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Charliegrs posted:

Oh look lots of new posts on the Jan 6 thread maybe something big happened regarding the investigation.

Oh it's all just talk about the Russian Civil War....

New accusations dropped that Trump is really Trotsky in a blond wig.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Donald Trump is harboring Ezra Miller.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is that the real Ezra Miller or Professor Zoom impersonating him?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Trump's hatred of gender noncomforming people is overridden by his admiration for all the women that Ezra Miller has beaten the poo poo out of and all the teenagers that they have sexually manipulated.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Ugh, history.

Why yes trump has tweeted classified photographs without any regard for standard declassification procedures, didn't ya know?

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Kemp says he's too busy with reelection stuff to be deposed by a lowly grand jury. https://www.ajc.com/politics/breaking-kemp-blasts-fulton-da-for-playing-politics-as-he-fights-subpoena/YSGK66OTLRHGZMOGYEA26PXJSE/

Geez maybe it you hadn't jerked them off for months then skipped out on even your simple, scheduled video statement. Now he wants to wait until 2023.

Contempt! Come on judge, fire up a contempt trial!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Ugh, history.

Why yes trump has tweeted classified photographs without any regard for standard declassification procedures, didn't ya know?

He has a standing order declassifying anything he tweets.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

So do I and it's just as effective!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

mobby_6kl posted:

Very funnily he does not because he also hosed up at one point and they had to hurriedly backtrack.

quote:

Trump tweeted earlier this month: "I have fully authorized the total Declassification of any & all documents pertaining to the single greatest political CRIME in American History, the Russia Hoax. Likewise, the Hillary Clinton Email Scandal. No redactions!"
He also wrote, "All Russia Hoax Scandal information was Declassified by me long ago. Unfortunately for our Country, people have acted very slowly, especially since it is perhaps the biggest political crime in the history of our Country. Act!!!"

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1558275571666362369

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 17, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
FBI picking on conservatives again

Man charged with election interference tied to Capitol riot

https://news.yahoo.com/man-charged-election-interference-tied-174655424.html

A Virginia man who is facing trial on charges that he drove a Hummer packed with guns to Philadelphia to interfere with the 2020 presidential election has been arrested in a separate case that alleges his involvement in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

LaMotta, 63, is among more than 850 people charged with federal crimes for their alleged conduct inside the Capitol building. But he stands out for the case already pending against him and another man in Philadelphia.

In November 2020, LaMotta and Joshua Macias drove to a Philadelphia convention center where votes were being counted for the presidential election, prosecutors have alleged. The men arrived in a Hummer adorned with a QAnon sticker and loaded with an AR-15-style rifle, more than 100 rounds of ammunition and other weapons.

Prosecutors say Macias and LaMotta had planned a mass shooting as the election hung in the balance but were thwarted by an FBI tip about their travels. A trial for the men is scheduled for October. Charges include interfering with an election.

At a preliminary hearing last year, lawyers for both men argued there was no evidence they interfered or tried to interfere with election-related activities. The lawyers said that it appeared the men were being punished for their beliefs, including support for false theories that the presidential election was fraudulent.

The criminal complaint against LaMotta for his alleged actions on Jan. 6 states he was identified through images captured on Capitol surveillance cameras as well as police body cameras. LaMotta also was identified by an FBI agent who had interviewed him after his arrest in Philadelphia.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
With the news that DoJ subpoenaed NARA months ago for all White House documents requested by the J06 committee and the recent search warrant and that Giuliani is a target of the Georgia investigation I’m past ‘will Trump be indicted’ and now I’m now at ‘when Trump is indicted’.

BUT that has made me realize that if DoJ is serious, and the Biden administration is serious then they have more responsibility than just announcing an indictment. They have a responsibility to try and execute such that the country doesn’t decay into (more) stochastic violence and localized insurrections.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Murgos posted:

With the news that DoJ subpoenaed NARA months ago for all White House documents requested by the J06 committee and the recent search warrant and that Giuliani is a target of the Georgia investigation I’m past ‘will Trump be indicted’ and now I’m now at ‘when Trump is indicted’.

BUT that has made me realize that if DoJ is serious, and the Biden administration is serious then they have more responsibility than just announcing an indictment. They have a responsibility to try and execute such that the country doesn’t decay into (more) stochastic violence and localized insurrections.

Biden is handling things quietly and not yelling about it every day at campaign rallies. It's far more the responsibility of Trump to keep his supporters peaceful and non violent, since he's the one gaslighting them

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

They should pull trump aside quietly and say if you manage to keep your morons peaceful we will play ball otherwise we are throwing the entire library at you.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

cr0y posted:

They should pull trump aside quietly and say if you manage to keep your morons peaceful we will play ball otherwise we are throwing the entire library at you.

If Trump listened to reason over ego we wouldn't be here.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Biden is handling things quietly and not yelling about it every day at campaign rallies. It's far more the responsibility of Trump to keep his supporters peaceful and non violent, since he's the one gaslighting them

I dont see it. Trump isn’t the kind to realize he has a losing hand and he’s just going to keep doubling down.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Murgos posted:

I dont see it. Trump isn’t the kind to realize he has a losing hand and he’s just going to keep doubling down.

That's precisely the point. What do you think any person not named Donald Trump, especially Joe Biden, can do to keep this from getting much worse?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Did we already know there's a Jan 6 grand jury? I feel like that's new

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Uglycat posted:

Uh, there's been Jan 6 grand juries from the very beginning. People have been getting arrested and criminally charged for January 6, 2021 since January 6, 2021.

We don't know how many GJs there are now convened to investigate J6, or how long this particular one has been active. We knew they were subpoenaing Trump's legal counsel more than two weeks ago, and they were subpoenaing organizers of the J6 rallies two months ago, and they launched this pivot from purely footsoldiers and brawlers/property damagers to actual fundraisers and organizers of the events nearly five months ago.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Murgos posted:

Trump's numbers are through the roof over this. If he runs, he'll probably still lose, but he's going to go down hard.

But in the end it won't matter because Trump isn't the problem his voters are. And DeSantis is waiting in the wings right behind Trump; with a better version of MAGA, that's more refined and purified. All MAGA talks about is Trump passing the torch to DeSantis, if not in 2024 then 2028. Plus, the establishment GOP doesn't really have an axe to grind with DeSantis, like they have with Trump. The old establishment GOP donors are already cozying up to DeSantis, with the idiot MAGA base none the wiser, and DeSantis, clearly not a true believer, will only be too happy to play ball with the NeoCons and Business wing GOP.

Right now Trump is the only thing standing in the way of all that. We're not the only ones rooting for Garland.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 18, 2022

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Uglycat posted:

No we did not. The earliest reference I found was 7/25 or 7/26, when one of the subpoenaed witnesses reported to the press after being deposed (Marc Short). There's been very little information but it sounded like a grand jury empaneled by the Justice Dept after the conclusion of the hearings.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

That's precisely the point. What do you think any person not named Donald Trump, especially Joe Biden, can do to keep this from getting much worse?

An exclusive solitary confinement cell in Guantanamo Bay would do that job pretty well.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Murgos posted:

I don't think it's going to be possible to avoid that.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't think it's going to be possible to avoid that.

This is one reason I am convinced that the various states and federal agencies are at least broadly coordinating the roll-out of info. I know that's not what the DOJ typically does (or should do), but then again this is not a typical case.

For example, I don't believe either NY or GA will indict him before the DOJ does. And I believe that once the DOJ does, the other entities will follow quickly along.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

mdemone posted:

This is one reason I am convinced that the various states and federal agencies are at least broadly coordinating the roll-out of info. I know that's not what the DOJ typically does (or should do), but then again this is not a typical case.

For example, I don't believe either NY or GA will indict him before the DOJ does. And I believe that once the DOJ does, the other entities will follow quickly along.

I'm sure any one indicting will trigger an avalanche of others, but I don't know that they're all waiting for the DOJ specifically to act first.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

https://twitter.com/politicususa/status/1560357059022954497

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

This is the immediate, mediating entity, politicususa, quoting a politico article and then just adding an inaccurate sentence at the top of the quote, which is used to distribute the article on twitter. Based on a quick scan I'd suggest just not using politicususa as a source, since this sort of content mill stuff seems to be all they do.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm sure any one indicting will trigger an avalanche of others, but I don't know that they're all waiting for the DOJ specifically to act first.

My guess is that the DOJ just has so much poo poo to wade through prior to any indictment that they can't just jump in. Trump's strategy of 'do so many crimes they can't keep up' is effective in slowing down investigations, but it does put more targets on him.

At this point, he might as well just do more wild poo poo because it would either force the DOJ to assign mountains more staff to investigate him, or force them to switch gears. I'm sure the government would do the former, but it would effectively slow things down on their end, and doesn't change his legal situation much. He's already legally hosed, so he might as well run the gamble on the clock towards the next presidential election or dying of old age.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

This is the immediate, mediating entity, politicususa, quoting a politico article and then just adding an inaccurate sentence at the top of the quote, which is used to distribute the article on twitter. Based on a quick scan I'd suggest just not using politicususa as a source, since this sort of content mill stuff seems to be all they do.

thanks truly did not know what the hell they were when i saw it and meant to add to it that the source was odd but got distracted

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Red posted:

My guess is that the DOJ just has so much poo poo to wade through prior to any indictment that they can't just jump in. Trump's strategy of 'do so many crimes they can't keep up' is effective in slowing down investigations, but it does put more targets on him.

At this point, he might as well just do more wild poo poo because it would either force the DOJ to assign mountains more staff to investigate him, or force them to switch gears. I'm sure the government would do the former, but it would effectively slow things down on their end, and doesn't change his legal situation much. He's already legally hosed, so he might as well run the gamble on the clock towards the next presidential election or dying of old age.

perhaps there is some sort of crime containment chamber that we could put him in to limit his ability to do new crimes while we investigate and prosecute the old crimes?

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Herstory Begins Now posted:

perhaps there is some sort of crime containment chamber that we could put him in to limit his ability to do new crimes while we investigate and prosecute the old crimes?

Ah, but if we put him in the crime containment chamber then his followers will commit many more crimes in his name to make up for the crimes he is no longer able to commit because the crime containment chamber is only for people who are bad and/or not white.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What if we put him in a crime containment chamber but tell him it's a special work office for bigly important politics people?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

I think that the US Government Executive Branch has vast planning, execution and monitoring capabilities and they should be using them to investigate how to introduce the concept of Trump being indicted while minimizing hysteria, generate a strategy based on that analysis, execute that plan and monitor it to ensure it’s performing. Just like big boy entities do with all their major endeavors where they want a specific public reaction.

Hire Disney or whatever.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Murgos posted:

I think that the US Government Executive Branch has vast planning, execution and monitoring capabilities and they should be using them to investigate how to introduce the concept of Trump being indicted while minimizing hysteria, generate a strategy based on that analysis, execute that plan and monitor it to ensure it’s performing. Just like big boy entities do with all their major endeavors where they want a specific public reaction.

Hire Disney or whatever.

Ah yes, Disney. Their involvement would definitely calm down the kind of insane Nazis who would be committing these acts of terror.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Murgos posted:

Hire Disney or whatever.

Lol ok. Just throw a bunch of money at this intractable problem. Like, manufacturing consent is obviously a thing, but the USA is rapidly sliding towards some variety of civil war and you're saying that can be averted with what? A well-made PSA? A national MKUltra campaign?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I don't know how any of this ever gets solved without addressing the completely disparate media ecosystems.

The fact that Conservative social media spaces have their own separate group of news article sources and they all read like they're straight out of Man in the High Castle is seriously one of the most screwed up and damaging things about our current political situation. It's just gotten completely insane how walled off reality has become for people.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

cr0y posted:

1. he would never be able to comply, even if willing. he would spontaneously reverse course at the slightest irrational internal urging. he could not be kept on course for anything no matter the benefit

2. i don't want trump to be able to leverage violent followers as a protectionary blanket that makes justice timid to apply the rules to him

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Kavros posted:

1. he would never be able to comply, even if willing. he would spontaneously reverse course at the slightest irrational internal urging. he could not be kept on course for anything no matter the benefit

2. i don't want trump to be able to leverage violent followers as a protectionary blanket that makes justice timid to apply the rules to him

:hmmyes:

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I've been on these forums for nearly 20 years and I still don't know what this emoji means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

cr0y posted:

I've been on these forums for nearly 20 years and I still don't know what this emoji means.

Hmm, yes.