Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

The Moon Monster posted:

When non-goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about Johnny Five Aces :eek:

When goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about whatever Johnny Face Ace is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I've always hated those vacuum sealed packs of meat that the supermarkets moved to a few years ago. So loving difficult to open, I was slicing them with knives or even getting out the big scissors.

These things:

Last night I discovered they have a flap on one corner where you can pull the whole plastic off in one easy movement.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hyperlynx posted:

I remember that as a child my grandma didn't believe me that Venus is a planet, not a star. She said "but it's called the 'Evening Star'!"

So fair enough. And, as it happens, the root of the word "planet" is literally "wandering star", because they move around in the night sky relative to the "fixed" stars.

I read a lot about space as a kid, and I guess my grandma didn't :shrug:

I distinctly remember an uncle pointing at Sirius and declaring "see that there? That's the evening star. It's actually Jupiter."
Thanks Uncle Geoff

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I've always vaguely wondered why sandwich boards are called that, and assumed it had some tradition associated with sandwich shops or something. I just never gave it much thought, but today I saw a sandwich board and I thought to myself, "why do they call it a sandwich board?" and then it was real obvious. It folds up like um, two pieces of bread, uh... well, okay, now wait. Is that why they call it that? Because it's barely a sandwich. It's more like a book. They should call them bookboards. Or hotdogbunboards, since hotdog buns usually are connected at the spine.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tree Bucket posted:

I distinctly remember an uncle pointing at Sirius and declaring "see that there? That's the evening star. It's actually Jupiter."
Thanks Uncle Geoff

He can't even spell Jeff right, why would you expect him to know anything about astronomy?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

Thanks Uncle Geoff

I have an Uncle Geoff also spelled correctly!

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

credburn posted:

I've always vaguely wondered why sandwich boards are called that, and assumed it had some tradition associated with sandwich shops or something. I just never gave it much thought, but today I saw a sandwich board and I thought to myself, "why do they call it a sandwich board?" and then it was real obvious. It folds up like um, two pieces of bread, uh... well, okay, now wait. Is that why they call it that? Because it's barely a sandwich. It's more like a book. They should call them bookboards. Or hotdogbunboards, since hotdog buns usually are connected at the spine.

if you wear it, your body is the meat

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

moonmazed posted:

if you wear it, your body is the meat

Stuff I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out: The sandwich boards outside shops and the sandwich boards people wear are the same thing

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Stuff I Can't Believe I Just Figured Out: The sandwich boards outside shops and the sandwich boards people wear are the same thing

People! Sandwich boards are made of people!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

sandwich as a verb opens up a lot of sandwich possibilities

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Moon Monster posted:

When non-goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about Johnny Five Aces :eek:
Imagine Los Locos kicking four balls into outer space...

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

SLOSifl posted:

When I was a kid the pro strategy for pulling off wishes was to hit the sun - most kids wished at stars that were so far away that they died before the wish even got there, let alone back to earth. The sun is only 8 minutes or so away and it gets back to you in the same amount of time, if it goes through. And if it gets denied or flagged you can just try again. It’s a slippery slope of course and there’s been trauma that can’t be undone, burned bridges and massive regret I’ll have to die with. Still better than getting a voltron toy in sixteen thousand years, I guess.

This bit isn't true - the furthest visible star to the naked eye is about 16,000 light-years away, so by the time the wish gets back to Earth it's 32,000 years old. Stars have life-spans in the order of billions of years, meaning the majority of stars you see are good and healthy. Even that furthest star is estimated to have another 50,000 years before it goes pop.

Yes I'm applying astrophysics to wish magic. No I don't have anything else to do with my morning.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think he means the kids died before their wish even got there, assuming wishes travel at the speed of light.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I think he means the kids died before their wish even got there, assuming wishes travel at the speed of light.

gently caress, I forgot children died

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SLOSifl posted:

When I was a kid the pro strategy for pulling off wishes was to hit the sun - most kids wished at stars that were so far away that they died before the wish even got there, let alone back to earth. The sun is only 8 minutes or so away and it gets back to you in the same amount of time, if it goes through. And if it gets denied or flagged you can just try again. It’s a slippery slope of course and there’s been trauma that can’t be undone, burned bridges and massive regret I’ll have to die with. Still better than getting a voltron toy in sixteen thousand years, I guess.

You don't wish at stars, you wish on shooting stars. The song just omits that bit because it wouldn't fit the melody. And shooting stars aren't that far away.

You were all doing it wrong lol none of it came true lmao smhd!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Freudian posted:

gently caress, I forgot children died

That's what I've been wishing for

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's what I've been wishing for

Username/post combo. Very nice.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

exquisite tea posted:

It took me several tries to read it as anything but this. I was like "dude, how long do you think kids live for?...

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You don't wish at stars, you wish on shooting stars. The song just omits that bit because it wouldn't fit the melody. And shooting stars aren't that far away.

I knew that, and that's why I had like, so many ponies as a kid.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bonster posted:

I knew that, and that's why I had like, so many ponies as a kid.

But then you bankrupted your parents because you forgot to wish for the jars :(

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've always hated those vacuum sealed packs of meat that the supermarkets moved to a few years ago. So loving difficult to open, I was slicing them with knives or even getting out the big scissors.

These things:

Last night I discovered they have a flap on one corner where you can pull the whole plastic off in one easy movement.

That thing usually never works tbh, it is just easier to use the scissors.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Moon Monster posted:

The robot from Short Circuit, or is there some other Johnny 5 I haven't heard of?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There's the guitarist in Marilyn Manson's band as well

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Annabel Pee posted:

That thing usually never works tbh, it is just easier to use the scissors.

Scissors force you to to cut through the seam, the one part that is hard to cut. Just smash the package against the corner of the counter like a caveman.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

credburn posted:

When goons mention Johnny 5 they're not talking about whatever Johnny Face Ace is.

Silver Falcon posted:

The robot from Short Circuit, or is there some other Johnny 5 I haven't heard of?
Johnny Fiveaces is part of an old SA meme documented on SAclopedia and Know Your Meme, and mentioned on BBC News a few years ago when the original artwork sold.

Ellie Crabcakes posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Scissors force you to to cut through the seam, the one part that is hard to cut. Just smash the package against the corner of the counter like a caveman.

I bung it in the hotbox. The plastic "seals" the meat when it melts.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
In the film The Parent Trap (1998) (about identical twins separated as babies when their parents divorced then meeting by chance as 11 year olds, for those who don't know), the twins bond over the fact that they both like eating Oreos with peanut butter.
As a kid, I just accepted, like "yep, twins have the same odd taste in food, no surprises there."
It's just occurred to me that them stumbling across the same combo is a stupid coincidence, and the real explanation (assuming the writers did actually put some thought into it) is that it's a food their parents ate when they were together and passed on to their kids.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

dirby posted:

Johnny Fiveaces is part of an old SA meme documented on SAclopedia and Know Your Meme, and mentioned on BBC News a few years ago when the original artwork sold.

Oh, yes. I knew about that. I've been on this website for way too long... I was wondering what Johnny 5 the non-goons were talking about.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You wish on the first star you see tonight. Which isn't going to be the sun, unless you're very far north at the right (or wrong) time of year.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Lady Disdain posted:

In the film The Parent Trap (1998) (about identical twins separated as babies when their parents divorced then meeting by chance as 11 year olds, for those who don't know), the twins bond over the fact that they both like eating Oreos with peanut butter.
As a kid, I just accepted, like "yep, twins have the same odd taste in food, no surprises there."
It's just occurred to me that them stumbling across the same combo is a stupid coincidence, and the real explanation (assuming the writers did actually put some thought into it) is that it's a food their parents ate when they were together and passed on to their kids.

No, I think it's the first one. This is a dumb movie, it doesn't need to be the most reasonable explanation for why two people who have never met would enjoy the same thing, it's going to be the simplest and most obvious.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

wait the parents split up, took one twin each, and went no contact? thats super messed up lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

You wish on the first star you see tonight. Which isn't going to be the sun, unless you're very far north at the right (or wrong) time of year.

Seriouspost: the tradition is you wish on a shooting star and it's a bit (like, a few thousand years at least) older than any Anglo poem.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

There's the guitarist in Marilyn Manson's band as well

Oh that guy!

I was thinking "oh it's that kids show", but that's Ben 10

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Or Joe 90...

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait the parents split up, took one twin each, and went no contact? thats super messed up lol

It's a kids' movie, so you're supposed to ignore that bit entirely.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Lady Disdain posted:

It's a kids' movie, so you're supposed to ignore that bit entirely.

Even as a kid I thought it was messed up!

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Deadlifts are primarily for the glutes, not the lower back.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Captain Splendid posted:

Deadlifts are primarily for the glutes, not the lower back.

It really depends on the angle and the stance, etc. I've used DLs, sumo DLs (shite) and Romanian DLs (nice) variously to help my lumbar pain and give me a juicier cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wish I could be there the first time you just rip that little triangle flap right off

Both so I could see your face when it happens, and so I could fix you a cup of tea to console you