Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
not sure i'd be laughing if i'd moved to ireland

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1559956001226366978?s=20&t=BRUUFUPqK5-bOlo7Oys_8w

https://twitter.com/TheConorFinn/status/1559629580100591616?s=20&t=BRUUFUPqK5-bOlo7Oys_8w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that first one asks an interesting question that's relevant to me, and that's "how on earth are students supposed to handle this". the maintenance loan is not tied to inflation and as such i have no idea how most students are supposed to keep the lights on, quite literally.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hey whats the source for the quote in the title?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CoolCab posted:

"how on earth are students supposed to handle this"

pretty sure the response is "lol we don't give a poo poo, not our problem"

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I didn't move to dublin, I'm not insane

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Less than 1000 rental properties in the whole country was what I saw elsewhere

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Mirello posted:

hey whats the source for the quote in the title?

Liz Truss allegedly, according to a pop bitch rumour, likes to engage in anal sex in her office, over her desk in fact, and once demanded that one of her conquests "put it in dry".

A lot of these conquests are SPADs so if you don't get on with the boss you get the boot.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When I first moved here, took roughly 50 tries to find an available rental property and I ended up paying more than I did in London for an hour outside Dublin. Now I'm looking to buy out in the west, just put an offer in on a house that ended up outbid going for 70k over the asking price. It's bad yeah.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 10:23 on Aug 18, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Barry Foster posted:

pretty sure the response is "lol we don't give a poo poo, not our problem"

well right it's just - okay i am pretty lucky, i could claim the full maintenance loan amount (9,250) and an opportunity scholarship through my school (2k). for sake of relative comparison as a student i also don't pay about £1500 in council tax. that means if i don't work my effective "pay", or at least the total financial adjustment i get compared to someone in work, is £12,750.

that's close to sustainable? i wouldn't describe it as comfortable, i have to live very frugally, but there's enough to get by and have a takeaway a month or something. in combination with a side hustle here or there the first two years have been quite manageable - now not really, i'm burning savings for my final year even before and the pricing gets worse in october.

i am insanely lucky in my position, rental situation, etc. how on earth is some 18 year old supposed to do it? good luck kid, here's not quite enough money to survive, hope you didn't plan on drinking this year.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

gonadic io posted:

When I first moved here, took roughly 50 tries to find an available rental property and I ended up paying more than I did in London for an hour outside Dublin. Now I'm looking to buy, just put an offer in on a house that ended up outbid going for 70k over the asking price. It's bad yeah.

yeah its fuckin brutal. I just got obscenely lucky with a great rental for half what I was paying in london.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Don't forget masters students are now also being made to put down a non-refundable deposit to get onto courses and if the uni decide that you don't meet their cost of living evaluation you still don't get onto the course

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My BIL went to Plymouth as a mature student and his loan didn't cover his accommodation fees. He had to apply for jobs before he moved to the city and was on food banks for a while

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Marxist educationalists are to blame apparently

https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1560177845032419329?t=qUExwOIU2i_pYbWpPdiLOQ&s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i cannot help but contrast how quickly the government moved to keep the service industry moving with that idiotic eat out to help out and the complete sleepwalking here. it's strange but i think i would rather someone drunk at the wheel as we had rather than asleep.

covid has completely obliterated the broad social consensus that governments can or should do things.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

only one solution: war with europe

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CoolCab posted:

i cannot help but contrast how quickly the government moved to keep the service industry moving with that idiotic eat out to help out and the complete sleepwalking here. it's strange but i think i would rather someone drunk at the wheel as we had rather than asleep.

covid has completely obliterated the broad social consensus that governments can or should do things.

video calls to greece are too expensive sorry

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

so yer doing ads for xenophobia now, i hear

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Consent manufacturing going into overdrive

https://twitter.com/unherd/status/1560139428986851329?t=OrZroGxy2R-0MsYFEH2HWQ&s=19

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

gonadic io posted:

When I first moved here, took roughly 50 tries to find an available rental property and I ended up paying more than I did in London for an hour outside Dublin. Now I'm looking to buy out in the west, just put an offer in on a house that ended up outbid going for 70k over the asking price. It's bad yeah.

In comparison we moved to Belfast about 3 years ago and got the first rental we applied for. £415 a month for a 3-bedroom terrace about a mile from the city centre and the rent hasn't gone up since. I'd been considering a move to Dublin since I'd earn considerably more in a similar role and there are a lot more opportunities, but every time I look at the housing situation it puts me off the idea.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Someone from southern water is on for the last 20 seconds or so of this

https://twitter.com/GMB/status/1560133199736422400?t=vvdZzMbheC0uIw7qIR6aMQ&s=19

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Can't wait to romantically walk into a door while I contract hypothermia in the Stygian darkness.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

going in the "good vibes" collection with this one

https://twitter.com/TelegraphLife/status/1559582738973425664?s=20&t=2UiPWVxDXeYXjm-KPCJCJw

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

In comparison we moved to Belfast about 3 years ago and got the first rental we applied for. £415 a month for a 3-bedroom terrace about a mile from the city centre and the rent hasn't gone up since. I'd been considering a move to Dublin since I'd earn considerably more in a similar role and there are a lot more opportunities, but every time I look at the housing situation it puts me off the idea.

give it 2 years or so, you won't need to any more

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've heard good things about intermittent fasting and weight loss. Involuntary fasting is pretty much the same thing, right?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Handing you a bottle of mineral water which is only 5% human piss and poo poo. You can use your own judgement if you think that it's safe or not.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

One of the funniest British media moments in history was when Allison Pearson spent years posting about how exams were too easy these days then did a complete 180 the second her brain-dead kid got poo poo results lol

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

CoolCab posted:

The similarity between launching Eat out to Help Out and not doing anything about energy prices is that both ultimately mean lots of money ending up in the hands of large corporations, there's been no change in boundaries.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

CoolCab posted:

My read on it is that the pandemic has forced the rentier/financier capitalists to play their hand at the expense of the petite bourgeois and "original recipe" capitalists. But it's pretty well fuckin muddled; who knows who'll be left to make sense of it all by the time it plays out.

Amongst the human detritus otherwise known as the rest of us there remains broad social consensus that governments can and should do things; look at the level of support for re-nationalization among conservative voters, let alone labor.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

R. Mute posted:

so yer doing ads for xenophobia now, i hear

dead eyed widespread privatisation of public infrastructure? im gonna go punch a dutchman!!

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

any business with a kitchen is about to go arse up; restaurant trade is already on paper thin margins in the good times and being crushed by staff shortages and the decline in discretionary spend

most independents and pubs will be gone or going by xmas, the chain places will hang on a bit longer but not for ever

first sign of this is reduced trading hours, loads of places near me already on limited hours. that's a last resort move tho, the beginning of the end.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

Handing you a bottle of mineral water which is only 5% human piss and poo poo. You can use your own judgement if you think that it's safe or not.
no thanks, I’m not drinking that until I’ve read an editorial telling me that sewage is actually all-natural and very fashionable at the moment

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
limited hours is a death spiral yeah. all those little boutique sandwich shops and poo poo that we've allegedly gone back to the office to keep in business are fuckin toast, lol

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I can't help but read the sentence "anything can happen when the lights go out" as a pretty obvious threat

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Rustybear posted:

any business with a kitchen is about to go arse up; restaurant trade is already on paper thin margins in the good times and being crushed by staff shortages and the decline in discretionary spend

most independents and pubs will be gone or going by xmas, the chain places will hang on a bit longer but not for ever

first sign of this is reduced trading hours, loads of places near me already on limited hours. that's a last resort move tho, the beginning of the end.

I had to pop into Boot's on Sunday in my local shithole of a shopping centre. The store was closed, along with about half the other stores in the centre. They all used to be open on Sunday.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i assure you: small and even medium business cannot afford this. they cannot absorb 4k monthly energy bills and put what 40k per annum extra into paying for gas and electric. everyone knows this. even if we weren't heading into recession, even if we weren't in the biggest spending crunch since 2008 - they cannot possibly sustain it. the minority who could in the short term will price themselves out of business, if they haven't already.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

can we just loop this on every page itt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8zhNb8ANe8

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

soviet style collapse but with predatory capitalism isn’t going to be fun

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
UK doesn't even have many natural resources to plunder like russia had during the 90s, does it? it's gonna be like greece or something

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

soviet style collapse but with predatory capitalism isn’t going to be fun

But?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I had to pop into Boot's on Sunday in my local shithole of a shopping centre. The store was closed, along with about half the other stores in the centre. They all used to be open on Sunday.

Blackouts, rationing, shops closed on Sunday - seems like a good time to invest in a music hall.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjibKx8LmLM