Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Meme Poker Party posted:

Does this mean I can buy a house in rural Japan?

if you can find a job in japan that would allow for living in a rural area and have the money to fix up an old house they will literally give one to you for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

And no, snakefucker is not a real job, despite what your hentai says.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Stink Billyums posted:

if you can find a job in japan that would allow for living in a rural area and have the money to fix up an old house they will literally give one to you for free.

Wow, you're right. Even a quick google shows there are subsidies towards purchasing/renovating a house as long as you get a job there. And there was (still is?) literally a $9000 bounty for any remote workers to leave Tokyo for the countryside. That's crazy!

McGavin posted:

And no, snakefucker is not a real job, despite what your hentai says.

Unnecessary aggro!!!

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 17, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stink Billyums posted:

that will be a major factor in the future but right now it's mostly young people leaving rural areas. 20 years ago the urban/rural distribution was 80/20 and now it's 92/8.

Yup. If you go to small towns in Japan it's entirely old people. Population decline nationally has started but is still fairly minor, but in the countryside it's already been apocalyptic.

The free house thing is overstated, but it is true there are programs all over Japan where you can get a rural house for very, very cheap. Of course this is also an older style Japanese house that's been abandoned for a long time so it's going to cost you a ton of money to fix it up.

Anyway communism is when landlords.

https://twitter.com/HAOHONG_CFA/status/1559546458063470593

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yup. If you go to small towns in Japan it's entirely old people. Population decline nationally has started but is still fairly minor, but in the countryside it's already been apocalyptic.

The free house thing is overstated, but it is true there are programs all over Japan where you can get a rural house for very, very cheap. Of course this is also an older style Japanese house that's been abandoned for a long time so it's going to cost you a ton of money to fix it up.

Anyway communism is when landlords.

https://twitter.com/HAOHONG_CFA/status/1559546458063470593

Mao killed the landlords, and now the people have become landlords

it's the circle of life

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Seth Pecksniff posted:

it's the circle of life

Mao has a pretty uneven record with killing.

Random innocent people intentionally? Check.
Random innocent people unintentionally? Extreme check.
Birds? Fail.
Landlords? Temporary check, long term fail.

Still, he has the highest bodycount of anyone in Chinese history so... let's put his face on all the money and stuff since he was a cool dude, I guess.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

it's the circle of life

Landlords have tenants alot of people from my understanding didnt even rent the apartments.

I ve been to rual japanese villages and they are nice and scenic but gently caress its country living is alot of work

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I like visiting rural Japan but I wouldn't want to live there long term. I could do a year maybe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I like visiting rural Japan but I wouldn't want to live there long term. I could do a year maybe.

You think they have any openings for monks to maintain remote mountain shrines and dispense sagely wisdom to travelers?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Meme Poker Party posted:

You think they have any openings for monks to maintain remote mountain shrines and dispense sagely wisdom to travelers?

In the event it's a serious question, yes. A lot of temples/shrines in Japan are family affairs and the kids aren't interested, much like farming. I think if you genuinely wanted to do it you could find one without too much trouble.

I'm not as sure about shrines, Shinto may be a bit more of a Nihonjin Only Please situation but Buddhist temples with foreign clergy have been a thing since the beginning and there are plenty of them today. Mostly other Asians but there are white dudes too.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 17, 2022

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Grand Fromage posted:

In the event it's a serious question, yes. A lot of temples/shrines in Japan are family affairs and the kids aren't interested, much like farming. I think if you genuinely wanted to do it you could find one without too much trouble.

To be honest I thought I was asking a joke questions for which the only answer was "lol no". But it is interesting to know that actually it is possible to just start a new life as a mountain monk if one desires.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Meme Poker Party posted:

To be honest I thought I was asking a joke questions for which the only answer was "lol no". But it is interesting to know that actually it is possible to just start a new life as a mountain monk if one desires.

If your Japanese is good enough I bet you could become a farmer without much trouble too. Just have to find an old who has no one to pass it on to and is willing to deal with a disgusting foreigner. Probably a fair number of other rural professions where you could do that. Fishing and stuff.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

If your Japanese is good enough I bet you could become a farmer without much trouble too. Just have to find an old who has no one to pass it on to and is willing to deal with a disgusting foreigner. Probably a fair number of other rural professions where you could do that. Fishing and stuff.

Their are politics in play the rual votes are weighted or something like that. An example that comes to mind is that the rice paddies used to be all weird shaped because of how they d been divided through familys etc. the goverment paid them to make them more organized.

Japanese culture lesson, the most importand part of the family unit is the first born son. (who inherits everything) also alot of japanese tended to die in their 40s from TB.

So you have the head of house hold whose freshly married late teens early 20's dad finds a wife from a village over. He has kids by the time his eldest son is 20 you have to marry him off and teach him how to run the house hold before you pass etc. so after the war two things really changed this

1) you have to give the inheritance equally (so you send the younger kids off to Tokyo to study

2) because of modern medicine the life span jumps through the roof.

The village me and my class visited used to do silk but when chinese stuff came on the market it killed it.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

E never mind

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

Still, he has the highest bodycount of anyone in Chinese history so... let's put his face on all the money and stuff since he was a cool dude, I guess.

When presented with the combined death toll of Imperial Japan's efforts in China, Mao scoffed "Those're baby numbers, watch this."

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
An ex-student of mine is currently wandering around Japan making short films about people who are moving to the countryside, mostly to farm in unusual ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFaY13f6UI0

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

When presented with the combined death toll of Imperial Japan's efforts in China, Mao scoffed "Those're baby numbers, watch this."

yup. and thats why we must make it sting.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
yeah even in the US the housing shortage is basically asterisked with 'in places people actually want to live.' small town where all the jobs are gone and half the people left are either over 60 or on meth and the closest hospital that was already several towns away closed ten years ago and you have to bus 45 minutes to get to (a lovely) school? yeah you can get a house for super cheap

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

yaffle posted:

An ex-student of mine is currently wandering around Japan making short films about people who are moving to the countryside, mostly to farm in unusual ways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFaY13f6UI0

Dang, that's actually pretty cool.

Julian owns.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember there's a not-exactly-isekai (Think Populous, rather than Konosuba) still ongoing where the MC manages to explain to his parents that all the exotic stuff getting mailed to him via fantasy prayers are from a farming village under a government stimulus programme.

They buy it, because, well, there *are* a lot of subsidies and incentives thrown around to rejuvenate the rural sector. Didn't know that at the time.

It's a good book, though. Takes a good stab at the hikikomori problem as a result of the lost decade.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgw_8fTkqNk

This guy bought an abandoned Japanese home in the countryside and is fixing it up(its mostly done by now). Recently he's started to branch off and talking to others who have done the same.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What about dong the same thing in china or korea, or north korea!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

What about dong the same thing in china or korea, or north korea!

How many Japanese houses are there in China or Korea? E: and are they pinku?

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 18, 2022

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'd go live in an old house in a Japanese village if the internet was good. I'm sure I can pick up some Japanese, I've watched a couple of animes in my day. Hello, renkin no jutsu soka koka. They could attach a plow share to my big gaijin shoulders, that would be fun.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

:thunk:

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

The World China Policy The USA recognises that the entire world is China

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Wait prior to 78 the US only recognized Taiwan as China? Lol

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

freelop posted:

The World China Policy The USA recognises that the entire world is China

Always has been.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Always has been.

4.543 billion years of Chinese culture

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Crisis on Infinite Chinas

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Charles Bukowski posted:

Yes, that was when they formally recognised that the Republic of China had lost the civil war.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

freelop posted:

4.543 13.8 billion years of Chinese culture

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Charles Bukowski posted:

There was also an olympics, (I forget which one), where the IOC only sent an invitation to Taiwan instead of the mainland, calling them "China". And by the time the mainland heard there was an Olympics on, they arrived too late and didn't have accreditation. So couldn't compete at all.

I want to say in the 50s, so either Helsinki or Melbourne.

But this is a half remembered story that may well be totally bullshit, and I can't be arsed looking it up properly.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

There was also an olympics, (I forget which one), where the IOC only sent an invitation to Taiwan instead of the mainland, calling them "China". And by the time the mainland heard there was an Olympics on, they arrived too late and didn't have accreditation. So couldn't compete at all.

I want to say in the 50s, so either Helsinki or Melbourne.

But this is a half remembered story that may well be totally bullshit, and I can't be arsed looking it up properly.

Helsinki (1952) was specifically the first one where PRC and Soviet Union both participated so probably not the 1950s.

e: In one event, they only got the invitation one day before the opening lmao. So it was probably that which you were thinking of.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
a video about hotpot restraunts losing money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvo-CdbcN8

How can that be?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Ups_rail posted:

a video about hotpot restraunts losing money

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvo-CdbcN8

How can that be?

Oh FFS no wonder there is no stock, I buy their instant self heating meals all the time for away work and camping, this is my nightmare, THIS IS KILLING

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I avoided going because I never carry much cash

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Under the *weird pause* woodpecker plan...

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
video gone :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006