Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
As someone who has been dealing with a bit of that this week (via Steam guides), it is bewildering how often "poo poo at giving directions" and "really wants to make a guide" overlap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

As someone who has been dealing with a bit of that this week (via Steam guides), it is bewildering how often "poo poo at giving directions" and "really wants to make a guide" overlap.
the overlap section is labeled "path of exile streamers"

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lib and let die posted:

the overlap section is labeled "path of exile streamers"

The amount of knowledge they accrued since the times of diablo is inverse to their ability to explain a speedrun.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

John Murdoch posted:

What's worse, that or a 15 minute video guide on where a single collectible is located with a dumb nerd performativity grinning as hard as he can in the video thumbnail and a 5 minute preamble where he mugs for his subscribers?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Roguelike car-combat roadtripper Death Skid Marks will become free forever next Monday (August 22).

The Showdown Effect, a 2.5D multiplayer shooter that got was delisted from Steam a long time ago, is receiving a free, publisher-approved, fan-patched re-release on Saturday, with an early release already available.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Kins posted:

Roguelike car-combat roadtripper Death Skid Marks will become free forever next Monday (August 22).

gently caress those guys I'm gonna buy their game before they make it free

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Breetai posted:

What's worse, that or a 15 minute video guide on where a single collectible is located with a dumb nerd performativity grinning as hard as he can in the video thumbnail and a 5 minute preamble where he mugs for his subscribers?

At least you can usually just skip past dumb stuff in a video. Bad written directions, especially ones that are just the right amount of wrong to maximally waste your time, definitely worse imo.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

John Murdoch posted:

At least you can usually just skip past dumb stuff in a video. Bad written directions, especially ones that are just the right amount of wrong to maximally waste your time, definitely worse imo.

Strange, to me it's the exact opposite. I can search for keywords and skim the text; video demands much better attention.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

Played through Kingdom Hearts for the first time this month and it's amusing how often the top-rated guide on GameFAQs gave a boss strategy along the lines of "time to give this fool a beatdown by repeatedly attacking him"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

For more tips on beating the boss, make sure to check out PlayOnline.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cat Machine posted:

Played through Kingdom Hearts for the first time this month and it's amusing how often the top-rated guide on GameFAQs gave a boss strategy along the lines of "time to give this fool a beatdown by repeatedly attacking him"

Towards the end of MG:S V I was spooked by a giant bipedal tank of some kind. Never fought one but I thought, hey this AAA truck would be a good mobile platform to slam the dude. But just to be sure I popped out real quick to check with a "reputable" site on technique. Turns out the best way is to hit it with RPGs over and over again calling in reloads from the air as you run around on foot. :sweatdrop:

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

sebmojo posted:

gently caress those guys I'm gonna buy their game before they make it free

Bought a copy for a buddy a month ago and I'm not even mad (do kiiinda wish they'd revisit it to remove stuff like "just another r****d" in the descriptions, but I just tell myself it's going for a particular aesthetic).

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"keep hitting them with everything you've got and eventually they'll go down" is common enough in FAQs to warrant being a meme imo

oh you think i should use all my strongest stuff and the enemy hitpoints will decrease? great tactics, guide

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The 7th Guest posted:

"keep hitting them with everything you've got and eventually they'll go down" is common enough in FAQs to warrant being a meme imo

oh you think i should use all my strongest stuff and the enemy hitpoints will decrease? great tactics, guide

PROTIP: It already was a meme.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

But really there is some value in an faq saying "there is no special strategy or technique needed for this boss" so you know if you're losing that you just need to gitgud or grind more levels and you're not missing some gimmick mechanic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah it doesn't happen too often these days but i've definitely gone 'okay i must be missing something, let me look up to see what the trick is' and found out that either there is no trick to it or nobody else has found it either

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I feel comfort when reading a gamefaq and realizing the author mixed up left and right

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

elf help book posted:

I feel comfort when reading a gamefaq and realizing the author mixed up left and right

yeah but the ascii art is on point

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

elf help book posted:

STAGE left!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

flatluigi posted:

yeah it doesn't happen too often these days but i've definitely gone 'okay i must be missing something, let me look up to see what the trick is' and found out that either there is no trick to it or nobody else has found it either

I remember fighting the Skulls in MGSV and thinking "I must be missing something, they seem to be just sacks of hit points that aren't weak against anything" and going online to look for pro strats and all I found was people complaining that the Skulls are just sacks of hit points that aren't weak against anything

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
They're actually weak to a few things! Armor piercing guns, getting CQC countered, and the water pistol which locks them in a stupid animation. But very much your first reaction is meant to be "oh gently caress this I'm out"

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Oh my god you've made me realize that there was almost certainly a theater kid gamer nerd in the 90's who wrote GameFAQs guides and used that conveyance in their walkthroughs. There's just no way this didn't happen at least once; it's the perfect intersection of smarminess and cringe that those guides were rife with

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Breetai posted:

Videos also have the problem that they only exist for ad revenue, so they're designed to waste your time as long as possible. The only thing you get out of Steam guides are donated steam funbucks you can spend on avatar borders and other cosmetics.

What sucks is when you're looking for a steam guide and the rear end in a top hat just embedded his youtube video. One sentence answer hidden somewhere in a 10 minute video with a 3-minute preamble. YO THIS IS THE BUTTMUNCH GAMER BRINGING YOU A VIDEO, LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 17, 2022

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I can't stand the videofication of the internet.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

elf help book posted:

The lovely fandom and fextra wikis are awful for this. That and vague descriptions of things to use for navigation. "The third large rock" doesn't help when you're on a gravel beach

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I can't stand the videofication of the internet.

Would you say that video killed the FAQ stars?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1560235171508535296?t=yPDx7ssReORKIbJ3L_2Ldw&s=19

Doom 64 on EGS today

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Tweet's deleted, do you have another source on this?

I know I shouldn't be as surprised as I am but I can't recall a game with a 64 in the title ever being available on a non-Nintendo platform :psyduck:

e: found something on Twitter, dunno this person but

https://twitter.com/yeetusgafetus/status/1560245648758284288

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

timp posted:

I know I shouldn't be as surprised as I am but I can't recall a game with a 64 in the title ever being available on a non-Nintendo platform :psyduck:

Doom 64 has been on Steam for a while, it's on sale for $1.25 right now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Twerk from Home posted:

It's also a really a good classic Doom game that you should buy so you can actually play it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

It was in limbo for a long time though, it took until 2020 for it to be officially released on anything besides the N64

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

timp posted:

Doomguy is coming to Fortnite… oh crap

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

It should be extremely illegal to auto-play loving Twitch streams that are embedded into every possible page of a wiki.

Not sure if it helps but on Firefox I've been using this for years to stop autoplaying videos, which lets you specify sites to disable-disable-autoplay on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/disable-autoplay/

There does seem to be a similar Chrome extension but I've not used it myself so can't vouch https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/disable-html5-autoplay-re/cafckninonjkogajnihihlnnimmkndgf?hl=en

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Doom 64 is also on game pass if you can't wait.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Saoshyant posted:

It's also a really a good classic Doom game that you should buy so you can actually play it.

Hmm yeah. Fingers crossed for Starcraft 64 as well.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's up: Doom 64 free on EGS. Also a Rumbleverse costume, if that's something you care about.

Next week's free game is Ring of Pain.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Starcraft 64 is just the PC version of Starcraft but modified for the N64 isn't it? While Doom 64 despite the name, is actually a completely different game from the original Doom and more or less acts as the real Doom 3 according to Doom Eternal's lore.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Doom 64 has a wholly original level set that people have been porting out to play on pc for years before this was sold around on other platforms.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Starcraft 64 is just the PC version of Starcraft but modified for the N64 isn't it? While Doom 64 despite the name, is actually a completely different game from the original Doom and more or less acts as the real Doom 3 according to Doom Eternal's lore.
Starcraft 64 had like one extra bonus level IIRC.

Doom 64 is an entirely new game with all new levels, sounds and graphics wrapped around the traditional Doom gameplay, and it has an extra set of ten new levels included as an unlockable bonus in this remaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Kins posted:

Starcraft 64 had like one extra bonus level IIRC.

Doom 64 is an entirely new game with all new levels, sounds and graphics wrapped around the traditional Doom gameplay, and it has an extra set of ten new levels included as an unlockable bonus in this remaster.

I'll get the free game but I'm not going to play it. :colbert: