Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The title makes sense in context. I've heard interviews about how McCurdy's mom pushed in showbiz, right into Dan Schneider's odious embrace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
DaThings gave us a sequel to her phenomenal Ancient Aliens Youtube poop. This one teaches us amazing facts about Leonarchi da Vindo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4cF94irDE

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

could it be aliens? saos.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ngl I'm kinda glad her mom died too

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Pigbuster posted:

DaThings gave us a sequel to her phenomenal Ancient Aliens Youtube poop. This one teaches us amazing facts about Leonarchi da Vindo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q4cF94irDE

Yeth.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Delphisage posted:

Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within six months.

UNATCO?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah lol exactly, Rooster Teeth didn't start sucking because their crappy anime got bad. It always had huge problems.

I had never known what the gently caress RWBY was until HBomberguy's vid, and I was amazed that it was some kind of a fantasy-school setting that made Rowling's world-building look GOOD.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

RWBY isn't bad so much as painfully mediocre ime. once you're done laughing at the wacky weapons/powers there's not much left to have fun with. it's a frustrating watch that comes close to "maybe this will actually become interesting, in ANY direction?" without ever reaching it like some sort of faux-anime asymptote

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

RWBY isn't bad so much as painfully mediocre ime. once you're done laughing at the wacky weapons/powers there's not much left to have fun with. it's a frustrating watch that comes close to "maybe this will actually become interesting, in ANY direction?" without ever reaching it like some sort of faux-anime asymptote

Weapon: trumpet provides a LOT of laughing though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I completely missed the show as it was happening but is it accurate to call RWBY the Heroes of anime?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

I completely missed the show as it was happening but is it accurate to call RWBY the Heroes of anime?

I don't think so, because Heroes had a really strong first season and then fell to bits. Based on the Hbomb video RWBY started a mess and continued as a mess but became a different sort of mess when Monty Oum died.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Heroes was a lot of things but I'd never call its script extremely derivative.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

That's actually what I found a little confusing about the Hbomb video. From how I remember it, the video's structure was basically "the first season is bad, the second season is bad, the third season starts to get interesting, anyway that's why RWBY is bad". But if it was starting to get interesting, ending the video with "it bad" doesn't really make sense.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It starts to get interesting and then pratfalls.

You seem to have missed that part. Hbomb's got it right in that what RWBY does starting in season 3 is tease you that it might get interesting but every bit of intrigue or source of conflict tends to have the most boring resolution.

Or a resolution that just feels like the writers trolling the fans in some cases. Like they apparently brought back a fan loved character who had died really stupidly the first time around last season only to have her die in an even less satisfying way again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Which RWBY season was it where they just basically walk to a place and then walk back? Now, Max Max Fury Road shows this can be interesting. RWBY does not have somebody like George Miller on their writing staff.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
RWBY is one of those shows that I just cannot understand how it got so popular when everything about it is awful.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I'd passed it off as a small "not for me" thing when it first debuted, but a few years later I saw that one of the main characters in the film Doctor Sleep had a RWBY poster on her bedroom wall and thought "Huh, I guess it's a Thing now". I suppose to a fictional nine-year-old it wouldn't seem so derivative.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Overbite posted:

RWBY is one of those shows that I just cannot understand how it got so popular when everything about it is awful.

As hbomberguy put it, "RWBY is a great show to write a wiki about". Everything about the show's lore was good on paper, but the show itself just utterly failed to capitalize on its ideas. It's popularity ultimately has always been people waiting for the show to suddenly get good with all the promise it seemingly had. It just never paid off, and what's left of it's fans is everyone stuck on a sunk cost.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gertrude Perkins posted:

I'd passed it off as a small "not for me" thing when it first debuted, but a few years later I saw that one of the main characters in the film Doctor Sleep had a RWBY poster on her bedroom wall and thought "Huh, I guess it's a Thing now". I suppose to a fictional nine-year-old it wouldn't seem so derivative.

That was the actress' own suggestion, even. She's also got a figurine of one of the characters in her room, too. Clearly at least some of The Youth like it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Overbite posted:

The fight scenes aren't awful. They range from "cool" to "okay" even post-Monty. It's sustained on people who are fixated on one of the anime girls doing cool fights. Or their OCs doing cool fights because this is one of those settings/stories that facilitates people making their own OC with a cool weapon and not-magic powers.

As far as the show goes, in the post-Monty seasons I'd call them "padded" more than anything else. There will be a burst of activity to start with, a lot of loving around through the middle of the episodes, then there's some big showdown fight at the end that incrementally advances the overarching plot. And this isn't some deep political thriller where a slow burn is good. There's an evil immortal monster lady, and she wants to destroy the world mostly out of spite. The glacial pacing is probably Rooster Teeth milking the series for all its worth while they figure out how they'd keep it running eternally.

The writing also is always profoundly cringe, especially when the show thinks it's doing some social commentary. It's up to the viewer if that's dumb-funny or plain embarrassing.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Aug 18, 2022

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

We tried to watch RWBY after HBomberguy's video just to evaluate it with fresh eyes, I guess and the thing that struck me was that for all the acclaim given to the fight scenes they weren't actually very good. Lots of weightless spinning around in the air and dramatic gesturing but the weird decision to give everybody and everything in the show invisible force fields that sometimes protect them from damage until they don't made the fights seem sort of pointless? Like it doesn't really matter what the characters did if the enemy fought and acted at full capacity right up until their HP hits 0 at which point they dramatically explode or fall apart into shards.

The characters and writing were also really bad and the people that we wanted to actually see the most were the ones who were not part of the main cast and we probably only wanted to see them because they mostly avoided being written terribly by not being around for most of the plot.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

thats also what struck me when hbomberguy was praising the animator and showing off the animations that guy did before but they all looked loving terrible

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There is some sort of spore in the air that makes people think using people with animal ears as stand ins for real minorities is a good idea.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The show is apparently quite popular in Japan since they made an actual anime of it. It's interesting because for all the anime that have gotten western remakes over the years, the reverse happening seems to be extremely rare; other than RWBY I can only think of Powerpuff Girls and Supernatural off the top of my head.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

0 rows returned posted:

thats also what struck me when hbomberguy was praising the animator and showing off the animations that guy did before but they all looked loving terrible

it still kinda carries that DNA of the oughts craze of fan-made matrix parodies and references

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Oum’s fight scenes weren’t great but also you gotta consider the context of, he started out as a one man studio doing this poo poo in a time where independent zero budget computer animation was not a thing, like, people make fun of him doing all his poo poo in poser but that’s because there wasn’t really any other alternative until he’d been doing it for like a decade.

RWBY still bad tho, my favorite point on showing how they squander all their interesting ideas is that ruby and yang (two of the main character gang from the start of the show) are actual, literal sisters and this is such a non-relevant detail that it doesn’t get brought up in the show at all aside from a 10 second scene in the first episode

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Also, and I feel somewhat bad saying it, but the voice acting is just loving terrible. I get that the majority of the initial voice cast weren't big name talent or anything, but none of the main girls voices fit their designs and so much of their dialogue just sounds so stilted and forced.

Everything I've heard about the series sounds like it has potential on paper, and watching the hBomb video just got my mind working on how they could have used these story elements to make a good show, but the execution is just garbage.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Dawgstar posted:

The title makes sense in context. I've heard interviews about how McCurdy's mom pushed in showbiz, right into Dan Schneider's odious embrace.

Totally. Like what ever you think of when you think of an awful stage mom? She's that multiplied by 10. She gave her daughter an eating disorder by weighing her multiple times a day and measuring her while pointing out the smallest gain. She showered with her and performed breast and vaginal exams on her regularly. So many hosed up things. One that made me very sad and emphasizes why that title is so good and apt is, that when her mom died Jeanette vowed to keep her forced eating disorder going to honor her. :smith:

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

RWBY's acting is hilariously bad even by internet comedy standards. From what I remember Red vs Blue was generally fine (half the cast being professional actors helped I'm sure) and same for those comedy shorts they used to do. But iirc the RWBY actors are mostly Rooster Teeth fans they hired for other jobs (marketing, editing, etc) and it really shows lmao. Of course I've never watched an episode, just caught clips over the years, so maybe they all actually kick rear end now.

But I doubt it.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

RWBY's acting is hilariously bad even by internet comedy standards. From what I remember Red vs Blue was generally fine (half the cast being professional actors helped I'm sure) and same for those comedy shorts they used to do. But iirc the RWBY actors are mostly Rooster Teeth fans they hired for other jobs (marketing, editing, etc) and it really shows lmao. Of course I've never watched an episode, just caught clips over the years, so maybe they all actually kick rear end now.

But I doubt it.

to their credit they've gotten marginally better with experience. not a huge leap by any means but the progress is there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I don't think any voice actor could make RWBY's scripts sound good, regardless of skill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

The writing also is always profoundly cringe, especially when the show thinks it's doing some social commentary. It's up to the viewer if that's dumb-funny or plain embarrassing.

"I'm not protecting her."
"She's not protecting me."
"We're protecting each other."

This comes from the main canon pairing in the show with Yang and Blake which felt RT was forced to do because their soundtrack people (who do very middling buttrock that forces the female singer to kinda sing outside her range half the time) wrote a song about it so it was 'confirmed' before RT did it themselves. Are they written to have chemistry with each other? No, not really. But then I don't think Ruby and Blake who are ostensibly on the same team said five words to each other for ages.

Terrible Opinions posted:

I don't think any voice actor could make RWBY's scripts sound good, regardless of skill.

This is also true and most of the cast were amateurs, although after a while they dipped into the Texas dub scene like Vic Mignogna!* Ha ha! Whoops.

*Credit where it's due, they actually fired him before anybody else did once everything came out. Mysteriously his crack legal team did not attempt to sue Rooster Teeth, probably figuring that would mean getting into it with WB's entertainment lawyers who would take them apart at the joints. (And they did so well otherwise.)

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

The RWBY VA's were real bad in what I watched of season 1 but they were alright in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (a crossover game featuring team RWBY). They had a way better director in Patrick Seitz there although that game was a bit all over the place in terms of voice acting quality. Most of them were okay, they landed somewhere in the middle except for maybe Ruby who was way too squeaky. Ruby had excellent interactions in that game though so I can let it slide.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

0 rows returned posted:

The sincerity of Hbomberguy's comments about Oum has been debated since the start, given how he first concieved the idea of making a RWBY video back when he was yelling about Poser being awful and Oum being "a crazy neckbeard who rips keys out of his keyboard because they get jammed with Cheeto dust". It's that conflict with his initial opinions and the constant "Never Speak Ill Of The Dead"-ness in the video that critics keep using to dismiss the entire video.

I think the best way I've seen RWBY's popularity being phrased was "Anime girls and anime weapons! I feel safe...".

Anyway, I couldn't make it through that 2 hour RT video. The voice just sounded way too common to me. Same thing that keeps me from watching Joseph Anderson videos.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 18, 2022

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Delphisage posted:

The sincerity of Hbomberguy's comments about Oum has been debated since the start, given how he first concieved the idea of making a RWBY video back when he was yelling about Poser being awful and Oum being "a crazy neckbeard who rips keys out of his keyboard because they get jammed with Cheeto dust". It's that conflict with his initial opinions and the constant "Never Speak Ill Of The Dead"-ness in the video that critics keep using to dismiss the entire video.

And this post is now making me remember the fashion decisions Monty made in the footage hBomb used...

Again, his death was very tragic and I feel bad speaking ill of him because of it, but why did he dress like Travis Touchdown irl? He was even just, like, inexplicably holding a replica anime sword in some of the interview footage!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

"I'm not protecting her."
"She's not protecting me."
"We're protecting each other."

This comes from the main canon pairing in the show with Yang and Blake which felt RT was forced to do because their soundtrack people (who do very middling buttrock that forces the female singer to kinda sing outside her range half the time) wrote a song about it so it was 'confirmed' before RT did it themselves. Are they written to have chemistry with each other? No, not really. But then I don't think Ruby and Blake who are ostensibly on the same team said five words to each other for ages.

They're not even "canon" in the sense that they've been confirmed in-show to be dating, last I checked. It's still at the point of "Yang blushing at Blake getting a cute bob cut" or "One of them gets especially upset when the other one is hurt or endangered." Given how unsubtle the show is, it'll probably lead somewhere eventually but god knows when. Expect Zutara level meltdown whenever it's 100% undeniably canon though.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mysticblade posted:

The RWBY VA's were real bad in what I watched of season 1 but they were alright in Blazblue Cross Tag Battle (a crossover game featuring team RWBY). They had a way better director in Patrick Seitz there although that game was a bit all over the place in terms of voice acting quality. Most of them were okay, they landed somewhere in the middle except for maybe Ruby who was way too squeaky. Ruby had excellent interactions in that game though so I can let it slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJ1_1N7F0Q

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I am old enough to remember the Master Chief VS Halo animation when it came out and it was just a combination of a lot of factors that made me and lot of others like it at the time.
But the 'wow factor' faded quickly in his following videos which just looked more and more like 'Insert Franchise here' toys fighting other toys, but in 3D.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

And this post is now making me remember the fashion decisions Monty made in the footage hBomb used...

Again, his death was very tragic and I feel bad speaking ill of him because of it, but why did he dress like Travis Touchdown irl? He was even just, like, inexplicably holding a replica anime sword in some of the interview footage!
Why wouldn't you be holding replica anime sword during an interview?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Nuns with Guns posted:

They're not even "canon" in the sense that they've been confirmed in-show to be dating, last I checked. It's still at the point of "Yang blushing at Blake getting a cute bob cut" or "One of them gets especially upset when the other one is hurt or endangered." Given how unsubtle the show is, it'll probably lead somewhere eventually but god knows when. Expect Zutara level meltdown whenever it's 100% undeniably canon though.

"Lesbians only in the last episode" is so obnoxious and noncommital that I can't believe it still gets brownie points from the internet. Korra and Adventure Time both did that, didn't they?

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 18, 2022