Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cuttlefush posted:

did anyone here actually watch the original addams family tv show? Gomez being rich despite consistently squandering vast sums of money and making what would be terrible business decisions, pickle for the knowing ones style, is to illustrate the nature of capital. he's not a schrewd businessman. his input doesn't matter. the skillful, deserving capitalist is a myth. this is not what pro-capital propaganda of the 1960s would be. most members of the family also betras their class consistently in the show, or at least do not demonstrate solidarity.

Unfortunately I bet a lot of people know them from the movies, or even the goddamn cartoon. That said, yeah, Gomez is almost uniquely shown as being cheerfully terrible at his job and outright proud of how much money he loses. They're also usually foiled against middle-class suburban Americans, the aspirational figures, for not acting 'properly', but if you get used to their strangeness they're some of the best neighbours you could ask for.

That said I feel like they're absolutely gonna make a mess of Wednesday as Goth Daria, given her whole deal is that she's a particularly sensitive and empathetic girl who happens to have, well, Addams family tastes. (ironically also the treatment the original Daria gets in pop culture, because the premise of much of the show is how Daria's attitude is defensive and hiding her true feelings about things, and how she comes to emphasise with even people who annoy her the most when they find common ground)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Elastico Gomez

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The world isn't ready for Julia Vins She-Hulk.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The premise of netflix addams family is going to be "we cast an adult as little girl Wednesday" y'all

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gresh posted:

it really is wonderful living long enough to see Tolkien's legendarium about to be dumbed down into endless commercialized bullshit

Really looking forward to The Adventures of Young Gandalf going around, slaying monsters, smoking pipeweed and banging elves

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This is what happens when you don’t discover r/redscarepod

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smacking her on the forehead with a big red rubber stamp that says BABYBRAIN

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

man cut down by sword demonstrates power of pen, writes @bic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sunriiise, sunset

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Tried to get into teletubbies again but somehow the magic is gone.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

She should read the Jakarta Method

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

looking for adult pacifier recommendations (NO SHAMING)

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The lord of the rings is the new Garfield

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

She should read the Jakarta Method

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

projecthalaxy posted:

jonnum, jonnum

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I can't wait for bilbo to try my new lasagna recipe at his birthday!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

congratulations mr saruman. you are going to give birth to a fine, healthy litter of puppies.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

projecthalaxy posted:

what's Heathcliff

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Really looking forward to The Adventures of Young Gandalf going around, slaying monsters, smoking pipeweed and banging elves

...you wouldn't watch that show?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

indigi posted:

...you wouldn't watch that show?

I'd absolutely watch it

but I would hate myself for doing so

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

very helpful thread for any readers

https://twitter.com/Abookishdiaries/status/1560078943843020800

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
"I know you guys are tired of “the same discourse” but this needs to be shared. There have been so many books I’ve read that have made me feel uncomfortable, triggered, and disrespected because of the authors. I’m only trying to help others, if you don’t like it then scroll."

if you feel disrespected by a book, just put that poo poo down lol

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

"I know you guys are tired of “the same discourse” but this needs to be shared. There have been so many books I’ve read that have made me feel uncomfortable, triggered, and disrespected because of the authors. I’m only trying to help others, if you don’t like it then scroll."

if you feel disrespected by a book, just put that poo poo down lol

but what if people you don't know on the internet are talking about a book without mentioning its authors sins every time how will you know without a spreadhseet

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Im glad there's finally someone willing to be the arbiter of who is Woke and who is Broke

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

this can't be real (of course it is)

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Dav Pilkey is great, but the best one on that list is cancelling Ayn Rand for "racism specifically anti-Native american" like god drat talk about not intersecting your idpol with class whatsoever lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ClosetFurry69/status/1560268149433389057?s=20&t=mraeU_D_BkEvS2wKTA15jg

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i was just surprised to see DFW (abuser, wrote racist caricature of black character) wasn't included

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I like how occasionally after a few long entries about male ya/sf writers the list probably started with they throw in a woman with extremely vague crimes to avoid looking biased

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Mark Twain | Uses the n-word | The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Twain had an n-word pass, he used to whip it out when he got drunk at parties.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I like how occasionally after a few long entries about male ya/sf writers the list probably started with they throw in a woman with extremely vague crimes to avoid looking biased

the part where shakespeare is between a YA author and romance author is so fucken funny

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Mark Twain | Uses the n-word | The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

That's some entry level cancellation lol. Hope this lady doesn't read the travelogues and find out that Native Americans are a kind of insect and not one of the nicer insects, or that spaniards can't understand Europeans due to their degraded culture.

Do read the travelogues though they're good

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Adolf Hitler: "Noble Savage" trope, fails the Bechdel Test

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I think a list like this needs to differ between problematic themes expressed in books (and often by characters that are antagonistic) and the author's own personal views.

edit: also this is stupid, 18 is adult in all legal senses, the nomenclature is irrelevant (a big age difference is still creepy as gently caress though, even though both are above 18)

https://twitter.com/Abookishdiaries/status/1560095064491057153

ymgve has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Aug 18, 2022

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

ymgve posted:

I think a list like this needs to differ between problematic themes expressed in books (and often by characters that are antagonistic) and the author's own personal views.

Why? They're both Impure, and they both make you the consumer Impure. There's no difference.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If it were up to me every author would be on that list as a consequence of Original Sin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

i have since learned the tweeter in question is 20....... hopefully this is a learning moment