Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Maybe if they give Orodruin huge cleavage

Giving new meaning to the Crack of Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The role is played by Summer Glau, in a shocking, unexpected return

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Summer Glaurung

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Judgy Fucker posted:

Giving new meaning to the Crack of Doom

Crack of Doom: A Lord of the Rings Story

Summer 2025

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
So if that was for sale, why the gently caress did Amazon not buy it?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Data Graham posted:

Maybe if they give Orodruin huge cleavage

gently caress yeah, massive diagenetic slaty cleavage spilling all over the place

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

gently caress yeah, massive diagenetic slaty cleavage spilling all over the place

Check out that orogenous zone! :pervert:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Unkempt posted:

So if that was for sale, why the gently caress did Amazon not buy it?

Yeah for real it doesn’t make any sense

Not like a trillion+ dollar company can’t afford it

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The Amazon rights purchase was something like 5 years ago now though?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

MLSM posted:

Yeah for real it doesn’t make any sense

Not like a trillion+ dollar company can’t afford it

Last I heard WB/New Line and Saul Zaentz Co. were still in mediation over who actually owns the LotR movie rights; Zaentz brokered the original deal with the Tolkein estate in the 70's, then leased it to New Line to make the Peter Jackson movies. Warner Bros bought New Line and claim they still own the rights because they have kept up payments, but Zaentz claims the rights reverted back to them after no movies were developed for over a decade.

So it's entirely possible that what Embracer Group bought was a share of an ongoing lawsuit. It would also explain why they picked it up relatively cheaply.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Given how they are presenting these shows, when they get sued I imagine they will be able to be covered as a parody in most jurisdictions.

How does international parody law work? I know there is Hamas Mickey Mouse.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

oof

https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1560741766650662912

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
They're both going to suck, but for different reasons. Nobody will even bother trying to make new fantasy television series for the next decade or two.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm guessing for general audiences there's been no real hook for Rings of Power. The entire sell is "Hey, remember Lord of the Rings?" and I think in order to really hit and get hype it needed a "wow" moment. Like if we saw a shapeshifting werewolf Sauron or a bunch of Balrogs attacking Ungoliant or whatever. Just something to make audiences perk up and go "Oh poo poo, what's this?"

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
they should probably have hired at least a few famous actors as tentpoles for it. who knows what the draw of house of the dragon would be without matt smith

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kliras posted:

they should probably have hired at least a few famous actors as tentpoles for it. who knows what the draw of house of the dragon would be without matt smith

I was going to make a snarky comment about Matt not helping the draw for Morbius or Terminator: Genisys but I'm guessing those audience demographics might not have a huge amount of crossover with GOT fans, or at least not nearly as much as Dr Who

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean even that awful "Invasion" show had Sam Neill in its first episode

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was going to make a snarky comment about Matt not helping the draw for Morbius or Terminator: Genisys but I'm guessing those audience demographics might not have a huge amount of crossover with GOT fans, or at least not nearly as much as Dr Who

To be fair, based on the trailer for Morbius I kept thinking,"Is Matt Smith actually in this film or did they accidentally put in a .5 second clip from some other show of him walking somewhere and not notice till it had been put online?"

Because I didn't see Morbius I have no idea if he's in any more of the film that that scene of him walking somewhere. Does he do a lot of walking in the film? That's a trick question because none of you saw Morbius either.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I'm guessing for general audiences there's been no real hook for Rings of Power. The entire sell is "Hey, remember Lord of the Rings?"

That's a pretty powerful sell though. The sell for the original movies was also just "Hey, remember the Lord of the Rings books?" and it worked really well: https://www.theguardian.com/film/2000/apr/11/lordoftherings.news

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

"what if netflix' the crown but with dragons" is also a much easier sell on a lead actor and show than trying to figure out how smith would fit into a terminator movie

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

feedmyleg posted:

I'm guessing for general audiences there's been no real hook for Rings of Power. The entire sell is "Hey, remember Lord of the Rings?" and I think in order to really hit and get hype it needed a "wow" moment. Like if we saw a shapeshifting werewolf Sauron or a bunch of Balrogs attacking Ungoliant or whatever. Just something to make audiences perk up and go "Oh poo poo, what's this?"

This and the costumes on this show look cheap as gently caress compared to the movies

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

feedmyleg posted:

In theory, Sauron might provide that. People who know Sauron only as a dude in spiky armor/floating eye may be intrigued by Sauron showing up as a handsome man who says reasonable-sounding things (at least at the beginning).

I agree that all the most spectacular moments of the second age happen at the very end.

Since I'm bored, I tried to determine what the new characters' names mean.

Elvish:
Adar: "Father".
Arondir: The "dir" means "man" (as in "male", not as in "human", at least in his context). I think the "aron" is related to words meaning "tree" or "south"?
Eärien: "Sea-maiden".
Kemen: "Earth".

Dwarvish:
Disa: From the old Norse "lady".

Mannish (Old English):
Bronwyn: The "wyn" element means "joy" (cf. Éowyn "horse-joy"). "Bron" has me stumped.
Halbrand: "Brand" means "sword". "Hal" is tricky. Could mean something like "house" or "nook".
Theo: There's a common element in mannish names "Théod", meaning "people". I'm guessing Theo is a short nickname for something containing that.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 20, 2022

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
"Bert ell pup" is old Norse for "I love you" so maybe Sauron hooks up with a dwarf?

I think there are a few issues with this show and selling it:

1) The number of people who have heard of these stories is pretty small.

2) What people have heard are really broad sketches and aren't real hooks. Sauron tricking people to taking the rings is best presented the way it is in the books and movie: as a quick line in a poem.

3) What we have as source material mostly is, in fact, really broad strokes. If good fantasy cribs from myths/history, mediocre cribs from Tolkein and bad cribs from D&D they are left with at best mediocre fantasy. But worse they've got to try and ape the style of Tolkein without Tolkein. Not a great start.

4) Where is the passion? I'm too young to remember the lead up to Bakashi but I know he did multiple dry runs like Wizards before trying to climb Mt Doom. I do remember Jackson's passion in the lead up to the movies. He was dorking out about it in interviews and clearly cared a lot on a personal level. For me at least that buys a lot of goodwill. Doesn't always mean the person helming is competent or willing to actually do the work (see JJ Abrams with Star Wars) but having it be a lifelong goal is a good sign. Jackson making dorks with PhDs in Sindarin front and center spoke to his priorities. This isn't being presented that way.

5) The broad strokes of these stories have been strip mined for several generations. Not that going back to the "source" can't work but see points 2-4.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ar Pharazon is going to be Trump and the show will be "incisive"

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Let’s be realistic here. Lord of the Rings is one of the best known and best selling books in history. Even if people aren’t familiar with the Appendices, they definitely know Tolkien and LOTR.

Plus of course the Jackson movies were insanely popular and well received.

The stories themselves might not be that well known, but it’s not exactly a niche genre work like the Witcher or Wheel of Time or even Game of Thrones.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Mameluke posted:

Ar Pharazon is going to be Trump and the show will be "incisive"

Make Numenor Great Again

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Literally GOT is much more recent that's all this is

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Literally GOT is much more recent that's all this is

I think its a combination of both that and the Rings of Power just looking much more like a generic fantasy show than it should, not much about it says Tolkien. Jackson's trilogy has a very distinct visual aesthetic to them thats totally absent in ROP. I get that the show needs to look different for legal reasons, but still.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe what I've been having trouble putting my finger on is that the show is what "the wider world" will get as their first introduction to what Tolkien nerds always mysteriously allude to being "the deeper lore", the stuff that people who only know the movies all are assumed to have missed out on, what the lifelong acolytes have always maintained is "the real story" without any desire or mechanism to go into detail beyond just a vague :smug: look.

And if the show sucks, it will make all the nerds look like idiots because everyone will assume "this is what you were on about all this time??"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Shame this show is being written without rights to any of the books that deeper lore is in lmao

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Mameluke posted:

Shame this show is being written without rights to any of the books that deeper lore is in lmao

A worry I had recently was that the show would change some beloved, powerful moment because they didn't have the rights to it.

It's the easiest thing to fix: just buy it. Amazon has the money.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why bother? Only non-profit-oriented geeks care that the villain is called "the Stranger" instead of "Annatar"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

webmeister posted:

The stories themselves might not be that well known, but it’s not exactly a niche genre work like the Witcher or Wheel of Time or even Game of Thrones.

According to wikipedia The Witcher books sit at 15 million copies sold (2019), Wheel of Time is "over 90 million" (2021) and A Song of Ice and Fire is 90 million (2019). Lord of the Rings is 180 million (2021).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

William Bear posted:

A worry I had recently was that the show would change some beloved, powerful moment because they didn't have the rights to it.

It's the easiest thing to fix: just buy it. Amazon has the money.

The way I understand it they're not for sale.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Oasx posted:

According to wikipedia The Witcher books sit at 15 million copies sold (2019), Wheel of Time is "over 90 million" (2021) and A Song of Ice and Fire is 90 million (2019). Lord of the Rings is 180 million (2021).

So it's literally twice as popular as the biggest cultural juggernaut of the past 10 years. And I'd be interested to see those numbers eg pre-Witcher 3, or pre-S1 of Game of Thrones.

My point is just that "more LOTR stories" isn't a difficult sell since people are pretty familiar with it - unlike the other series that I mentioned.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

webmeister posted:

So it's literally twice as popular as the biggest cultural juggernaut of the past 10 years. And I'd be interested to see those numbers eg pre-Witcher 3, or pre-S1 of Game of Thrones.

My point is just that "more LOTR stories" isn't a difficult sell since people are pretty familiar with it - unlike the other series that I mentioned.

I think something to consider is people who've read LotR are probably more likely to be suspicious and scoff at new media about LotR. That's probably less true of people who've read Witcher or GoT.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Oasx posted:

The Hobbit also sold at least 100 million copies

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think something to consider is people who've read LotR are probably more likely to be suspicious and scoff at new media about LotR. .

They're also more likely to be dead - the LOTR trilogy was first published back in 1954/5 so a goodly chunk of the people behind those 180 million sales would have died in the subsequent 67 years.

EDIT: ticket sales of the movies is probably a better indicator of recent popularity: wikipedia says Return of the King sold 140+ million tickets, The Two Towers sold 130 million. Fellowship wasn't on the list but can't have been far behind.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 21, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

EDIT: ticket sales of the movies is probably a better indicator of recent popularity: wikipedia says Return of the King sold 140+ million tickets, The Two Towers sold 130 million. Fellowship wasn't on the list but can't have been far behind.

The films have additionally all been on various streaming services for years. It might be hard to accurately gauge their current cultural traction without aggregating those numbers.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I don't think the Venn diagram of people who watch heavily marketed television shows and people who still actually read books--much less fiction--for fun overlaps as much as you all might hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pioneer42 posted:

I don't think the Venn diagram of people who watch heavily marketed television shows and people who still actually read books--much less fiction--for fun overlaps as much as you all might hope.

I had a bookish friend on Facebook whining about how Amazon was "alienating LOTR's core audience" and I was like "LOL bookreaders like us aren't the core audience, teen girls who ship Legolas are the core audience"

Also the thing that he was super upset about was the fact that Sophia Nomvete had been cast as one of the dwarves and she's not white!!!!! OMG they're shoving diversity down our throats!!! so gently caress that guy forever