Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Driving is one case where you should just let the bullies have their way. There's nothing for you to gain, but there's a real possibility they'll do something violent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I will always be in the right lane if god forbid i have to use the freeway (rare)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Driving is one case where you should just let the bullies have their way. There's nothing for you to gain, but there's a real possibility they'll do something violent.

yes-- 100%. there's no principle worth sticking to other than "stay as far away as possible from the psychos."

obeying the speed limit or any other traffic law comes second to watching other motorists to stay as far as possible from the insane speedsters or drivers weaving unintentionally due to cell phone or other distraction/impairment

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

The left lane is for passing regardless of the speed you are going. If you aren't passing someone you shouldn't be in the left lane. That should be the only traffic law enforced on the highway.

what if I'm passing a line of cars and the guy behind me decides I'm not doing it fast enough at 80mph instead of 90 and wants to pass me. where's your passing the passing lane lane then bitch.

People psychotically adamant about "PASSING LANE!!1" give me econ 101 supply and demand chart vibes

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I like seeing the guys maniacally switching lanes get stuck in traffic as I catch up and pass them

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

truly one of the most car brained ideas is that you, as a driver, need to enforce whatever you think the rules of the road are upon others. you truly do not need to do dangerous poo poo like not letting people merge or slowing down to annoy tailgaters.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

mistermojo posted:

I like seeing the guys maniacally switching lanes get stuck in traffic as I catch up and pass them

i like it when people pass me to zoom at top speed towards a red light, where they must stop, and then i cruise past them, remaining in motion at my slower speed, getting to the light as it turns green.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

what if I'm passing a line of cars and the guy behind me decides I'm not doing it fast enough at 80mph instead of 90 and wants to pass me. where's your passing the passing lane lane then bitch.

People psychotically adamant about "PASSING LANE!!1" give me econ 101 supply and demand chart vibes

yeah, inside of commuter belts the concept of a passing lane just becoming "a faster lane" is super lovely and obviously doesn't make sense

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

speng31b posted:

yeah, inside of commuter belts the concept of a passing lane just becoming "a faster lane" is super lovely and obviously doesn't make sense

literally the inevitable and unavoidable consequence of a "passing lane" on any highway that isn't a sleepy scenic route. if you want to go fast you are most likely passing people at all times for the entirety of your journey. Then there are people who want to pass you while you're doing that because you aren't speeding enough for their tastes. I've never heard the term used in e.g. California because it's so obviously loving stupid a concept in a place with busy highways, it's just the "fast lane" or left lane there.

CT does have some side highways that are fairly scenic and you don't need to be in the left lane much so I can sort of understand the argument there, but people who won't shut the gently caress up about passing lanes treat it as an immutable law of the road anywhere that has more than one lane. I can only assume they live in the middle of nowhere or some shithole state like Texas

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

literally the inevitable and unavoidable consequence of a "passing lane" on any highway that isn't a sleepy scenic route. if you want to go fast you are most likely passing people at all times for the entirety of your journey. Then there are people who want to pass you while you're doing that because you aren't speeding enough for their tastes. I've never heard the term used in e.g. California because it's so obviously loving stupid a concept in a place with busy highways, it's just the "fast lane" or left lane there.

CT does have some side highways that are fairly scenic and you don't need to be in the left lane much so I can sort of understand the argument there, but people who won't shut the gently caress up about passing lanes treat it as an immutable law of the road anywhere that has more than one lane. I can only assume they live in the middle of nowhere or some shithole state like Texas

if you're taking a road trip on interstates in certain parts of the country you tend to spend most of your time on roads that are like 60-80% long haul trucks and traffic overall is relatively light, so the passing lane is basically just "drive around this giant truck, get a safe distance then pull back to the right." that doesn't happen in high traffic or busy areas but it is a real thing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
the highway I take to work is 55 mph speed limit, everyone goes at least 65 and that still isn't fast enough for some people lol

my advice? the only rule of the road you need is "chill out, we'll get there when we get there"

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

speng31b posted:

if you're taking a road trip on interstates in certain parts of the country you tend to spend most of your time on roads that are like 60-80% long haul trucks and traffic overall is relatively light, so the passing lane is basically just "drive around this giant truck, get a safe distance then pull back to the right." that doesn't happen in high traffic or busy areas but it is a real thing

Yeah I'm aware of that and referenced it in my post. It is a situation that is relevant to a minority of drivers by a considerable margin so car brained people should shut the gently caress up about it and stop pretending it's a law of the road everywhere so that they can complain about people not driving fast enough for them (which is almost always what it's really about)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol printing and taping that poo poo is more trouble than changing the blinker bulbs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the left lane being for passing or speeding is literally the law in most places in the US, sadly

https://www.mit.edu/~jfc/right.html

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yeah I'm aware of that and referenced it in my post. It is a situation that is relevant to a minority of drivers by a considerable margin so car brained people should shut the gently caress up about it and stop pretending it's a law of the road everywhere so that they can complain about people not driving fast enough for them (which is almost always what it's really about)

yeah that's true. In fact many roads with a "real" passing lane have clearly marked signs that say "left lane for passing only," which makes it pretty obvious what's going on!

in most driving i agree with you that just going the speed limit in any lane should be fine.

but that poster above also had it right about letting the bullies get their way. If you're driving in a way that puts you in the line of fire for psychos, don't do that either

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

speng31b posted:

If you're driving in a way that puts you in the line of fire for psychos

aka "Driving in America"

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
yeah even in rural parts of the Midwest, an interstate with three lanes going in the same direction will inevitably have traffic bunch up in the left lane (still traveling well above the speed limit) and won't be enough for someone bombing up behind them and will inevitably veer off to the right lane, narrowly missing clipping the back end of a semi, then cutting off said semi while narrowly avoiding slamming into the slower traffic in the right lane. like they're flying the millennium falcon or some poo poo.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lmao, I'm sure those signs will be highly visible at night!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Something about fluid dynamics and the passing lane

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

why do you need to pass people at all. go with the flow but only at the agreed upon speed limit or below. if you don’t like the limit, vote for elected officials who will raise it.

I generally drive the limit but will go a little over to pass big trucks that block my view of the road ahead. Also I will overtake/avoid trailers or big trucks with open beds that might launch debris

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I generally drive the limit but will go a little over to pass big trucks that block my view of the road ahead. Also I will overtake/avoid trailers or big trucks with open beds that might launch debris

you can resolve this easily without violating the limit by pulling over and waiting, no?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Then he has to drive behind you until you finish passing and change lanes so he can resume his original speed or whatever.

What’s the argument here anyways? passing on the left is safest because the driver seat is on the left. Driving is already dangerous enough, No need to make it any riskier

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

you can resolve this easily without violating the limit by pulling over and waiting, no?

sometimes, but I think the aggregate risk of changing lanes, coming to stop on the shoulder, resuming speed, and re-entering the highway would outweigh the risk of exceeding the limit in order to overtake a truck when conditions allow. You might have a point though

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not about to listen to how actually reckless driving can be a reasonable thing that can be accommodated and built around and anybody who doesn't like it is actually making things more dangerous when you think about it, from the same people who believe any pedestrian or cyclist who doesn't wear ambulance sirens on their high-vis or persists in following the actual laws instead of the ones drivers make up on the fly deserves to get pulped in a hit and run. I hope a bollard totals any car driven recklessly.

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 18:23 on Aug 18, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Epic High Five posted:

I hope a bollard totals any car driven

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i call for the immediate destruction of all cars

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I drive at the speed of traffic and try not to get worked up over things I don't have any control over

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I drive in the rightmost lane at the speed limit, if someone gets mad about it gently caress 'em

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I drive at the speed of traffic and try not to get worked up over things I don't have any control over

speng31b
May 8, 2010

same. i try to treat the poo poo that happens on a commute like a wildlife documentary that's trying to kill me. like, "wow, that was super hosed up, glad I didn't get pink misted." and so on

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

i call for the immediate destruction of all cars

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Clark Nova posted:

lol printing and taping that poo poo is more trouble than changing the blinker bulbs

Pretty sure someone did that to the car that wasn't the driver of the car. Otherwise that is the dumbest thing in the world for a driver of a car to do. And yes, it's trivial to replace the lights on your car.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

speng31b posted:

same. i try to treat the poo poo that happens on a commute like a wildlife documentary that's trying to kill me. like, "wow, that was super hosed up, glad I didn't get pink misted." and so on

I don't commute. If you commute it's a moral failing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

This is the only correct answer.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Agreed, but SPEED LIMIT!!11

speng31b
May 8, 2010

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I don't commute. If you commute it's a moral failing.

luckily I don't have to do it so much anymore

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I sometimes think back to my early 20's when I lived in the Dallas area and commuted like 45minutes to my part-time job in the morning, that turned into an hour and half commute on the way back. The distance of that commute? 21 miles. LMAO.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

dallas sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i simply sit in total gridlock at all times and dont concern myself with "passing" or "keeping right"