Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm doing an Elden Ring Randomizer run, the mods I'm running are

Any Buff, any ash, Any weapon
Infinite Buffs
Any Summon, Anywhere, infinite re-summon

I didn't want to make it too overpowered, but I wanted some summons since I can't coop anything, and I felt like the game could get brutal without them.

I'm trying to pick my first starting class, and I'm wondering if I should re-roll or if there's anything really good that stands out.

https://pastebin.com/PFWHSD8T

I'm debating once again doing a magic build and picking prisoner for the Lazuli Glintstone Sword, or Wretch seems possibly good? Or Astrologer for Ice Crag

I'm probably gonna try this sometime soon. Do you know if you have to totally reinstall the mod to get a new seed? Or can the user click something to generate a new seed and re-randomize things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

a.p. dent posted:

mohg is really fun once you master the timings on each attack. he massively punishes you for ANY screwup, though

The long delay on a lot of his combos fucks me up. I'm good at dodging fast attacks but slower delayed windups gently caress me up. I'm very good at dodge rolling Crucible Knights now for example but it took me a long time to master the timing on the shield charge attack they do as I'd always dodge it too early.

Mohg is just like that but with about 5 or 6 different attacks that have that slow windup.

skasion posted:

Theres definitely other bosses earlier where you are trained to jump the shockwave/ground attacks. Works for Godric, crucible knights, the cave trolls, maybe others. You can get by without doing it but…better not

I've always just dodge rolled the Crucible Knight stomp. Jumping it seems like it would be awkward since they usually chain out of that into another attack.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
jumping is so much more reliable, but i always instinctively roll

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

skasion posted:

Theres definitely other bosses earlier where you are trained to jump the shockwave/ground attacks. Works for Godric, crucible knights, the cave trolls, maybe others. You can get by without doing it but…better not

The range on Godrick's stomp is middling and each stomp is hugely telegraphed, making it pretty easy to just run away and not get hit. Crucible Knight stomp only strikes a short, narrow arc and it's usually not hard to get clear of it with a single side or back roll. Cave trolls are cave trolls and if you have to dodge anything at all it's because you didn't beat on their legs aggressively enough (or shoot them in the face). It's extremely easy to get by without doing it basically until CFA forces you to fight Crucible Knights in tight quarters featuring lethal falls, and those knights can just be baited into safer areas or simply sprinted past.

When my husband was fighting Hoarah Loux, he was actually surprised to learn that jumping gives you iframes against shockwave attacks; he had never had any reason at all to try it before, since he prefers ranged combat and every other stomp in the game has much more limited range than Hoarah's arena-spanning testicle obliteration technique.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

So how do dex builds deal with the final boss pair? They seem like they have the least options for effectively engaging them, especially since Radagon is immune to Bleed and the Elden Beast is immune to all status effects.

I just switched my bleed winblades back to keen and used tiche. Barrage black bow works on elden beast sometimes.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Goatson posted:

I love how everyone hates the radagon/EB combo while I find that fight rather trivial. Meanwhile, don't ask how many times I've died to fricking Godfrey/Hoarah Loux. Is no one else struggling against him? Just me?

Defeating EB feels more of RNG: Sometimes the fucker keeps spamming holy blade, and rarely it stays in melee and swings like a whale stuck on a beach.

Sometimes I'll sunbro into this fight without realizing it's like NG+++ for my NG guy and get one shot at 60 vigor the first time I miss a critical dodge lol

It's my favorite fight and first time I did it I thought "this'd be hard as gently caress if he had a way bigger HP pool" and I was right. Seeing someone draw Margit as a late game boss in a rando run is pretty similar. All his bullshit but now he's got Malenia HP and damage lol

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

It's absolutely the stomps that make Hoarah tough. Very few other bosses do anything like that, and it basically forces most players to learn a totally new defensive reaction (timed jumps) which initially conflicts with their instinct to block or roll. When my husband was first trying that fight, the progression from "what the gently caress how am I ever going to beat this guy" to decisively winning mapped more or less perfectly to how comfortable he felt jumping the shockwaves

I feel like I have the opposite reaction from everyone else: Horah Loux is easier than Godfrey for me. Godfrey has a bunch of combos while Horah has a ton of telegraphed 1 or 2 shot moves. Ive always just rolled through the tremors or ran out of range.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Nickoten posted:

I'm probably gonna try this sometime soon. Do you know if you have to totally reinstall the mod to get a new seed? Or can the user click something to generate a new seed and re-randomize things?

There's a generate with new seed button.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Goatson posted:

I love how everyone hates the radagon/EB combo while I find that fight rather trivial. Meanwhile, don't ask how many times I've died to fricking Godfrey/Hoarah Loux. Is no one else struggling against him? Just me?
I found both Radagon and Godfrey/Loux impossible without a spirit since it's so hard to flask without being hit. EB was pretty easy.

Of course, this is on a mage character with shard spiral who constantly gets hit and needs to flask.

Though going back and cooping Godrey I think I either got really lucky the first time I used a spirit or he bugged out, because he was constantly stuck turning back and forth between Oleg and me and barely did anything while I killed him and when cooping he's still proven very effective at murdering me.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
My issue with Godfrey / HL wasnt that he had the stomp its that at some point his AI decided all he would do was fast stomps like an angry toddler.

Left zero opening.

Pretty sure it was a bug or something though since he only did that like once or twice ever.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ZeusCannon posted:

My issue with Godfrey / HL wasnt that he had the stomp its that at some point his AI decided all he would do was fast stomps like an angry toddler.

Left zero opening.

Pretty sure it was a bug or something though since he only did that like once or twice ever.

I've noticed this habit of his in co-op, it's a real bear because if you get hit by one odds are you're getting hit by the rest. I can only theorize it's a response to having a lot of targets around or maybe a NG+ thing, since I've never seen it from him otherwise. I think a lot don't see it because if you're summoning two helpers and then a mimic the fight is like 20 seconds long

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, I've noticed the leading cause of coop loses to Godfry (other than the host not knowing how to avoid the fissure) is when his health gets near half the sudden switch to infinite range stomps kills people backing off to heal.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Left zero opening.

That chain-stomp behaviour is an actual phase one-and-a-half for him, which he does when he's almost at low enough health to go entirely off his meds. Real tough section of the fight if you don't have enough damage to keep it short or skip it entirely.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Godfrey almost always does a step followed by side dodge and a second step. But in co-op if someone manages to take his aggro while he's doing it he'll start the same combo again against that person and he can just end up stomping everywhere all the time.

But Mohg, that loving overhead swing, I always think I'm far enough away. Feels like he can just overhead slam from across the whole arena.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That would explain why I only saw it for a while. There was definitely a point where i just went ultra aggressive after the stompy boi to get to phase two so maybe I started skipping that trigger.

It was loving annoying though and pretty much ended those fights.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Think I'm gonna take a break for a month or two after this current playthrough to keep the game fresh but I'm already thinking about what I wanna play next time I load it back up.

I haven't done Unga Bunga, or str/faith. A pure incantations caster might be interesting as well. Or perhaps a guard counter build as I've never really leaned that hard into shields in ER. A caster type build that buffs its weapon also sounds kinda interesting to me. There's a variety of those in the game that I have never much played with and they all seem kinda cool.

I feel like there's enough builds and weapons in this game that I could easily do a bunch more playthroughs and have a good time

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want to do a grungy necromancer build next, with the various death and omen themed stuff, plus heavy weapons, stomps, and roars. Death sorceries have the dumbest stat requirements though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
When deathbirbs do their giant icefire explosion they leave a field of it on the ground and I'm certain it looks like a radiation warning symbol from a bird's eye view. :toxx:

Am I crazy?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Are you sure it doesn't look like the elden ring instead? They look kind of similar.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm gonna do a crucible knight cosplay!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I had no idea you could jump the Godrick shockwaves! I've just been rolling out and tossing a few spells or arrows at him while he's busy with his tantrum.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Ginette Reno posted:

I haven't done Unga Bunga, or str/faith. A pure incantations caster might be interesting as well. Or perhaps a guard counter build as I've never really leaned that hard into shields in ER.

This made me do a double-take because you just listed my exact four characters hah. I've enjoyed all of them, for what it's worth!

- Unga Bunga powerstanced halberds ended up being my best boss killer, and I keep it at lvl 200 to help people in co-op which I love.
- STR/FAI feels like cheating in most PvE situations once you pick up Blasphemous Blade, and then Sacred Relic Sword is amazing for NG+ farming.
- Incantation caster (I mostly used lightning and buffs/heals) just has a Big Toolkit, and it was fun to problem solve without defaulting to just meleeing.
- Greatshield plus spear character is such an incredible beefcake, skillfully defeating all her foes by holding up a greatshield while poking/countering. It's really smile-inducing to just effortlessly facetank enemies that made my previous characters sweat bullets and panic roll, like Royal Revenants.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mentat Radnor posted:

This made me do a double-take because you just listed my exact four characters hah. I've enjoyed all of them, for what it's worth!

- Unga Bunga powerstanced halberds ended up being my best boss killer, and I keep it at lvl 200 to help people in co-op which I love.
- STR/FAI feels like cheating in most PvE situations once you pick up Blasphemous Blade, and then Sacred Relic Sword is amazing for NG+ farming.
- Incantation caster (I mostly used lightning and buffs/heals) just has a Big Toolkit, and it was fun to problem solve without defaulting to just meleeing.
- Greatshield plus spear character is such an incredible beefcake, skillfully defeating all her foes by holding up a greatshield while poking/countering. It's really smile-inducing to just effortlessly facetank enemies that made my previous characters sweat bullets and panic roll, like Royal Revenants.

Those all sound pretty fun. My 4 plays have been:

- Dex/Int with Flails (Nightrider/Nebula/Death's Head) and Moonveil + Sorceries. Pretty fun/strong.

- Int/faith with Sword of Night and Flame and both incantations/sorceries. SONAF was fun. Swapping between incantations and sorceries was not that practical to be honest and I would have been better off focusing on one or the other. The versatility was fun but it's easier to just lean into one style.

- Dex/Arcane with Bloody Helice plus an Epee set to Blood Affinity. Played around a little bit with ROB as well. This build absolutely shredded things. Maybe the most powerful one I did. Bleed is very strong and Heavy Thrusting swords hit like a truck even before bleed procs. They do decent stagger as well. I also used Dragon Incantations thanks to the high arcane, and those were situationally useful on bosses or big groups of enemies.

- Pure Int with a focus on melee sorceries. This character uses Carian Slicer/Great Sword/Piercer with a few ranged spells for backup like Loretta's Great Bow, Glinstone Pebble/Icecrag, and Rock Sling. Primarily it melees though with staff in main hand and Jellyfish shield in the off hand. I have Carian Sword as a backup. This build has been very fun and strong. The melee spells are dominant and they cover all the bases. Slicer is the bread and butter spell here that shreds anything. Great Sword is good vs groups and Piercer is good vs NPC invaders or aggressive enemies that you want to keep out of your face. I've also started using Adula's Moonblade since picking that up and it trucks and provides frostbite.

So yeah as you can see I definitely have a pro caster bent, with my only pure (or close to pure) melee char being the Bleed build. Even that one used a few incantations though simply because with that high arcane why not.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What unique weapons are particularly good for incantation casters? Most of the famous Faith weapons seem to be geared for a paladin stat spread that also has high strength, dex, or both.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Darth Walrus posted:

What unique weapons are particularly good for incantation casters? Most of the famous Faith weapons seem to be geared for a paladin stat spread that also has high strength, dex, or both.

Honestly I just stuck Misericord on my main hand swap because it's light, you get it early, the stat requirements are low, and it has beefy crits for when I've downed my enemy with incantations and their glowy bits are showing. I stuck with the default Quickstep ashes for a long time, and then played around with others like BHS and Flame of the Redmanes.

e: Oh I think the question was about Somber weapons, which I used none of that run.

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 18, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Cinquedea would be cool with the beast seal to double up on buffs to beast incantations

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Trip report, crucible night cosplay sucks

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

Trip report, crucible night cosplay sucks

?!??!?

Crucible incantations are really good, and the armor is pretty tanky. What's not to like?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Did a bunch of sunbroing and DC'd each time the boss died. Didn't get any sunbro awards. At least I got one invader kill blendering someone cosplaying as Godfrey.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Fitzy Fitz posted:

?!??!?

Crucible incantations are really good, and the armor is pretty tanky. What's not to like?

The incantations are very cool but very much bad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I got a ton of use out of the horn and tail. Both did lots of damage and knocked everything on its rear end.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The Crucible frog throat is amazing against fire weak enemies.

Also the Crucible halberd that looks kinda like a Christmas tree is an A tier weapon with an S tier weapon art.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

?!??!?

Incantations are suh-looowww

Maybe I don't know how to STR/FTH

By the way, does anyone have a stack of lords runes they could drop? Wanna be 200 before NG+

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lite_sleepr posted:

By the way, does anyone have a stack of lords runes they could drop? Wanna be 200 before NG+

Feel like it's more of a sword and board build. My thought was NG+ was that too since they buffed greatswords, especially with counters. Maybe the spear could be fun too. BBlade for those that are resistant to holy.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

lite_sleepr posted:

I had heavy armor, a greatshield, and a greatstars. And healing magic. I just tanked and traded hits a lot. Like a crucible knight!

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Great stars isn't a crucible knight weapon!

:qq: My Immersion!!! :qq:

Though it does jive with the color scheme.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah it matched well enough that I allowed it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One interesting detail I noticed a while back on my second playthrough is the likely true nature of how the whole mess with Fia and D went down. Fia didn't just ice him because he was playing for the opposing team and would make a good sacrifice to her freaky cult, but because he was the one who probably murdered her boyfriend Rogier in his sleep out of pity and disgust at his Deathblight-induced mutation. Check the item description of the dagger she tells you to give to him - she's basically telling him 'I know what you did, so let's settle this outside'.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

pretty sure rogier just succumbed to his terminal case of stinklegs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

pretty sure rogier just succumbed to his terminal case of stinklegs

He falls asleep, D says some highly dubious stuff about him, and then when you come back, he's dead and Fia has found an oddly-crafted silver-and-gold dagger covered in death-goop which she uses to challenge D to a duel. That's highly suggestive about what went down.