Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

priznat posted:

Which EV has the best driving dynamics these days as far as cornering? i4 or model 3?

From what I read the i4, as you'd expect I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

knox_harrington posted:

From what I read the i4, as you'd expect I guess.

Interestingly I was just watching a review of the iX mDrive50 since I asked that, and they much preferred its driving to the i4. Definitely more expensive than the i4 though. And uglier.

Still the iX seems pretty good if one can resist speccing it up over $100k :haw:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

priznat posted:

Interestingly I was just watching a review of the iX mDrive50 since I asked that, and they much preferred its driving to the i4. Definitely more expensive than the i4 though. And uglier.

Still the iX seems pretty good if one can resist speccing it up over $100k :haw:

The iX is on their bespoke EV platform while the i4 uses the CLAR platform shared with many of the ICE models, so that could be why.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The iX is on their bespoke EV platform while the i4 uses the CLAR platform shared with many of the ICE models, so that could be why.

Yah that was their thinking, clean sheet design.

The grille and lack of frunk suck though!

It has some decent rear cargo space behind the seats, best I’ve seen on an ev so far (35.8cu ft)

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

drat that looks sick. What trim did you get? How is the mileage/range?

It's great. I have the eDrive40 with M-sport trim with all the interior packages and drivers assistance stuff.

It drives like a dream, extremely comfortable, smooth and very quiet.

So far I am getting between 3.4-4.1 m/kWh depending on how much fun I want to have which puts me somewhere in the 280's for overall range. I've loaded it up with the wife and kid and luggage and driven 150mi to the beach and went from 100% to ~45% so I think the numbers are pretty solid.

One note is that BMW underestimates how fast the eDrive40 is and multiple videos and my own firsthand experience has been that it can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds, even though they advertise at 5.5. I've also gotten the speed up above the stated 115mph limit by a decent margin (123mph) so idk what their criteria is for those evaluations.

priznat posted:

Not sure what reviews you've seen but the majority I've seen say the IX does its job as a fake station wagon just fine and straight line it's fine but the I4 is the more fun to drive by a wide margin due to the handling and the RWD making it feel more like a normal BMW.

I had never driven a BMW prior to buying this one and I didn't even sit in the I4 until I'd bought it since I was a day 1 preorder but my gamble paid off. I truly think the I4 is the best bang for the buck EV sedan you can get right now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I watch the Throttle House guys, the i4 one was here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2ALyNBGtXw

and iX is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN98_wD8bqc

They say the iX feels more sorted than the i4 M50, and BMW just spent more time on the iX. But for that much more $$ it drat well better have had some work put in!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
The other thing, which I don't know if it's common on other new cars or it's a BMW thing is their MyBMW app is great and allows you to do a ton of stuff very conveniently. Most any modern car can do remote start and most any EV can do preconditioning but they have a pretty handy widget on iOS so I can turn on the AC to the car while I'm leaving a building and the car is cool by the time I get through the parking lot. No menus, confirmations, and 30 second wait time like my wife's Lexus app. It also logs all charging data for each session including where and how much it cost if it was at a public spot or you can define a rate for at home based on your electric bill so you can keep track of how much you've spent charging.

It also has all the diagnostics available for all the sensors so you can see current status of stuff in the car, like if a window is open or what the tire pressure is on each tire.

I don't think these features are unique to the I4 aside from the charging log, but it's great to be part of that premium brand ecosystem/experience where they go the extra distance which is something you don't really get with more entry-level brands, as far as I know.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

One note is that BMW underestimates how fast the eDrive40 is and multiple videos and my own firsthand experience has been that it can go 0-60 in under 5 seconds, even though they advertise at 5.5. I've also gotten the speed up above the stated 115mph limit by a decent margin (123mph) so idk what their criteria is for those evaluations.

Not sure what reviews you've seen but the majority I've seen say the IX does its job as a fake station wagon just fine and straight line it's fine but the I4 is the more fun to drive by a wide margin due to the handling and the RWD making it feel more like a normal BMW.

I had never driven a BMW prior to buying this one and I didn't even sit in the I4 until I'd bought it since I was a day 1 preorder but my gamble paid off. I truly think the I4 is the best bang for the buck EV sedan you can get right now.

Most reviews focus on the i4 M50 which is AWD. The e40 could very well be more playful since it’s RWD and I’m sure a decent bit lighter.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Yeah the Tesla app also does all that (including charging stats which was added in the last year), nice to see the trend spreading because it is so much better than key fobs. Although Tesla is going all in on the app, like scheduling service or anything like that has to be done through the app too which can be good or bad depending on what you need done, they recently added remote diagnostics to it even so the app can pull error codes/logs from the vehicle.

Also it gives away the massive amount of telemetry Tesla can collect, because anything you can see in the app they can see and more, so they know practically everything you do with the vehicle.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1560039540823392262?s=21&t=bwCBHBaWohF3T7PYrlDbxQ

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They microwaved the hellcat for too long.

I like the front and the rear 3/4, but somehow together it looks disjointed?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

quote:

"“We’re not going to go there and do the same thing. Dodge is going to get lost if we try to do the same thing as everybody else.”

Thats a pretty good thought there and explains the more "odd" proposed features. Esp if I read that correctly, the sound will be the amplified sound of the actual motor, rather than ICE. Also that looks so good it could be a Hyundai concept car.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thats a pretty good thought there and explains the more "odd" proposed features. Esp if I read that correctly, the sound will be the amplified sound of the actual motor, rather than ICE. Also that looks so good it could be a Hyundai concept car.

I'd guess more like they're using one of those 'active sound exhaust' setups like some VW/Audi or Thor electronic exhaust.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Scientists: We are just beginning to understand the negative effects that excessive noise pollution can have on people. Quieter electric vehicles may improve our urban environments.

Dodge: IT PLAYS THE JETSONS CAR NOISE AT 120 DECIBELS!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I put down a deposit on one of these, I’ve been watching them try to make this car for over a decade but I guess the tech is finally there to slot in and make a go of it:

https://youtu.be/mpiH-Y-HOvE

Who knows how many years out it actually is or if it will be jank or not, happy to give them $100 to be going for it though. I also live near them so I could actually get it serviced in theory.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's infinity. Infinity number of years out.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

borkencode posted:

Scientists: We are just beginning to understand the negative effects that excessive noise pollution can have on people. Quieter electric vehicles may improve our urban environments.

Dodge: IT PLAYS THE JETSONS CAR NOISE AT 120 DECIBELS!

The guy in the presentation literally says it is designed to wake the neighbors.

Maybe that’s how you get chuds on board with EVs long enough to try them and like them, THEN you put noise regulations in place.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Put some fins on that sum’bitch and you’ve got a Batmobile.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Doom Rooster posted:

The guy in the presentation literally says it is designed to wake the neighbors.

Maybe that’s how you get chuds on board with EVs long enough to try them and like them, THEN you put noise regulations in place.

Add a bleach reservoir that can be sprayed on the rear tires on demand for sick smoky burnouts

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

I put down a deposit on one of these, I’ve been watching them try to make this car for over a decade but I guess the tech is finally there to slot in and make a go of it:

Who knows how many years out it actually is or if it will be jank or not, happy to give them $100 to be going for it though. I also live near them so I could actually get it serviced in theory.

No thanks, I'll keep my e-bicycle.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

marshmonkey posted:

I've also put down a deposit for an Aptera. I think there's decent odds they never actually get to a production run, but by all accounts they're seriously trying and I like the thought of supporting a project that's pushing for an EV designed around the constraints and benefits of being an EV instead of an ICE car body plan roughly adapted to use batteries.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The i4 M50 overheats in Norwegian summer after fast charging. I can imagine it's worse in places that actually get hot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0LaUx5I_28&t=412s

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

An ix parked next to me at work today. Externally it's really quite ugly but I had a peek through the windows and the interior looks great. I'd like to have a go in one.

(this also shows how big the Taycan is, bit of a chonker)

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Russian Bear posted:

No thanks, I'll keep my e-bicycle.

Weird post but ok

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

An ix parked next to me at work today. Externally it's really quite ugly but I had a peek through the windows and the interior looks great. I'd like to have a go in one.

If they just fix the front grille I think it'd be fine.. it looks p good from the sides, for a crossover! I like that one all black.

I keep doing a build on the bmw.ca site but then get aggravated by the final price after options :haw:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
dodge no

I’m pretty sure this “exhaust” is just a speaker run thru some resonators and tubes

the rest of the car is ok. They gave it an auto gearbox for some reason. Maybe it can have a stick, as a treat?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
They should have given that thing a distinct sound but instead it sounds sad and mockworthy

knox_harrington posted:

I'd like to have a go in one.

"In this episode of EVRoadHead, we take the BMW iX out on the town!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

knox_harrington posted:

Just don't turn the autopilot on unless you want to go five stars

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

marshmonkey posted:

Weird post but ok

I just think they are trying to fill a segment of the market that is much better served with smaller 2 wheeled vehicles (ebikes, emopeds, escooters etc), while not having any advantages of those small vehicles and most of the downsides of a car. Maybe you'll see Apteras on your local golf course though. I don't see any reason why micro mobility vehicles would catch on the the US. We don't have infrastructure to make the compromises worth while.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 18, 2022

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo

Russian Bear posted:

I just think they are trying to fill a segment of the market that is much better served with smaller 2 wheeled vehicles (ebikes, emopeds, escooters etc), while not having any advantages of those small vehicles and most of the downsides of a car. Maybe you'll see Apteras on your local golf course though. I don't see any reason why micro mobility vehicles would catch on the the US. We don't have infrastructure to make the compromises worth while.

As specced it's real EV car though, that can do freeway speeds... I don't see how that's equivalent to an ebike or a golf cart at all?

If anything it's equivalent to a Miata or something like that practicality-wise. It's definitely a more useful transportation vehicle than all those dumb rear end open cockpit 3 wheel motorcycle hybrid things from Polaris and Morgan and Vanderhall.

Thinking that really efficient electric cars don't have a place to exist because there are ebikes and scooters seems like a really dumb take.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The i4 M50 overheats in Norwegian summer after fast charging. I can imagine it's worse in places that actually get hot.

I was going to comment on this after my recent road trip.

Some of you may recall I had a similar situation in my Mach-E where I spent the day fast charging and doing 75 on I-5 and like 20 minutes after getting off I-5 and doing 45-55 on backroads (around 50 or 60% SoC IIRC) I went to step on it from a stoplight and got my doors blown off by an F-150 that was just trundling away from a stop normally. Shortly after this I was on an empty highway and able to do a 0-60 run and from the video timer it was something like 8 seconds 0-60. I estimate that instead of the 480 rated horses it was more like 200 or 250 in these conditions.

The Tesla does not seem to suffer from the same sorts of problems. I know there's some throttling under some conditions but even after fast charging and doing 80 mph on I-80 all day and even being at 25% SoC if you punch it in an M3P it will still haul the mail.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

At 8:58 does he say "A Tesla wouldn't act like this, the Tesla would kick rear end for The Lord" or am I hearing wrong

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

At 8:58 does he say "A Tesla wouldn't act like this, the Tesla would kick rear end for The Lord" or am I hearing wrong

"Kick rear end for the lord" is one of his sayings, yeah.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol I like it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
After only 7 months of waiting I finally have a production date on my Mach-E for the middle of September, I was really worried that it was going to run into next year and my i3 has to go by January.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Being based in sweden or whatever tesla bjorn’s lord is actually thor or odin

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

He says all sorts of funny stuff.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.
I wonder if the cooling issues will have consequences for long term battery health on the MachE.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Does the MachE actually have a cooling issue though? From what I've read it sucks past ~60 MPH no matter what, even on the first pull. That isn't a thermal issue, a 70+ kWh battery simply does not overheat that quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

marshmonkey posted:

As specced it's real EV car though, that can do freeway speeds... I don't see how that's equivalent to an ebike or a golf cart at all?

If anything it's equivalent to a Miata or something like that practicality-wise. It's definitely a more useful transportation vehicle than all those dumb rear end open cockpit 3 wheel motorcycle hybrid things from Polaris and Morgan and Vanderhall.

Thinking that really efficient electric cars don't have a place to exist because there are ebikes and scooters seems like a really dumb take.

An e-assist velomobile can do highway speeds, it’s just not a great idea to tangle with the land barges that everyone drives around at top speed while staring at their phones. I wouldn’t feel comfortable driving this around real cars at high speeds either. This is just a wider version of a velo with more batteries shoved in and no muscle power. Yeah, it’s beefed up a little and has a slightly higher top end, but that thing is far closer to a faired bicycle than you seem to realize.

I guess you can spend an uncomfortable night in that tent thing, but you can also shove a normal tent into a pannier on a normal bicycle and get the same result.

e: unless mods decree that this is an electric car and truck thread only for some reason you’re gonna get the bike comparisons because e-bikes are cheap and fun and low maintenance and can fulfill a surprising percentage of transportation needs.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 19, 2022