Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The thing about "Forward" is that it is literally nonsensical. We’re all going forward. The question is what line do we go forward on. You need to define a trajectory. He seems to be suggesting that he alone has managed to escape the three dimensions of space to figure out how to move through the fourth dimension of time. "Forward" is the fourth co-ordinate, and it doesn’t make any sense without the other 3 coordinates.

Eat something and drink some water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

The thing about "Forward" is that it is literally nonsensical. We’re all going forward. The question is what line do we go forward on. You need to define a trajectory. He seems to be suggesting that he alone has managed to escape the three dimensions of space to figure out how to move through the fourth dimension of time. "Forward" is the fourth co-ordinate, and it doesn’t make any sense without the other 3 coordinates.

I feel best way to think about Forward, is that it is like if some donors looked at Americans Elect, thought the problem was that they did not have a candidate first, then removed the half of the interest that came from people who were ditched by the Democratic party in the 90's. This end result is an ideology that was a Simpsons joke.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Jaxyon posted:

Apologies for substack blog, and it's not a subject I'm super familiar with, but it looks like Intel is taking the CHIPS act cash, cutting it's fab buildout, and juicing shareholder dividents?

https://semianalysis.substack.com/p/intel-cuts-fab-buildout-by-4b-to

Posting here instead of tech thread because of the CHIPS act implications.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think this is more Intel struggling than CHIPS act specific.

Yeah, it's this. That was all happening/planned well before the CHIPS act looked like a sure thing and ultimately passed. For reference, Intel has been selling off non-core sections (their 5G modem division, McAfee Security Division, just recently Optane, etc.) for awhile now in part to pay those dividends and cover areas they are interested in remaining, but obviously they're running out of non-core areas to sell.

They're still trying to push into discrete graphics, but I'm sure that'll be up next to sell/close.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the Forward people are interesting in the sense that they've identified a genuine bona-fide Market Opportunity: there's a whole bunch of people out there who feel unrepresented by either the democratic or republican parties, and theoretically appealing to those people SHOULD catapult you into a position of real power.

and then because they are the kind of people they are, they can't imagine any way to do outreach to them beyond "what if the democrats, but slightly further right"

it's like some weird electoral mirror of the economic dominance of right wing ideology. when times are good, those in power agree you have to cut spending, and when times are bad, those in power agree you have to cut spending. when the democrats are in power, democrats need to move to the right to capture undecideds. when the republicans are in power, democrats need to move to the right to capture undecideds.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Third parties actually holding Congress/Senate seats in the US would probably just lead to weird more single-issue lobby capture than we already have.

And let’s not kid ourselves the single issue would be “put the social security trust fund in bitcoin.”

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Probably worth noting that Preferential Compulsory Voting is one of the main reasons Australian democracy has been able to withstand all this as well as it has. It's not perfect by any means, but we are able to elect a fair few greens party members in both houses, while keeping the crazies out almost entirely. The voluntary-first-past-the-post-electoral-college poo poo Americans do is just absurd.

If I had a wand to make one change though, it would probably be to limit the influence of money in politics by eliminating political advertising. At the moment it is almost literally "the biggest purse wins", which is basically why the world is hosed.

Give all candidates a two page spread, a ten minute spot, and a televised debate weekend, and then go to the polls.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the Forward people are interesting in the sense that they've identified a genuine bona-fide Market Opportunity: there's a whole bunch of people out there who feel unrepresented by either the democratic or republican parties, and theoretically appealing to those people SHOULD catapult you into a position of real power.

and then because they are the kind of people they are, they can't imagine any way to do outreach to them beyond "what if the democrats, but slightly further right"

it's like some weird electoral mirror of the economic dominance of right wing ideology. when times are good, those in power agree you have to cut spending, and when times are bad, those in power agree you have to cut spending. when the democrats are in power, democrats need to move to the right to capture undecideds. when the republicans are in power, democrats need to move to the right to capture undecideds.

It's a result of a very particular set of political ideas you can only get in a specific set of circumstances we happen to have now. The detachment from real issues and materialism to treat political opinions like preferences for flavours of ice cream, uncritically buying into the already barely coherent ad copy of both parties at once with no closer examination, and holding the Golden Mean Fallacy aloft like a holy tenet.

It's like libertarians calling for society to be what is already effectively the status quo, but they cannot acknowledge it because they, personally, are supposed to be in charge and powerful.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Andrew Yang's Forward thing is the first time I've ever seen someone unironically identify as a Repandercrat.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The NYT has a deep dive on the guy who attacked Salman Rushdie.

None of it is too surprising.

- He came back from a trip to the middle east in 2018 very interested in fundamentalist Islam.
- He was "a loner" who lived with his family, but never talked to them.
- His mom has disowned him and he frequently fought with his mom because she wanted him to focus on school and he wanted to do religious studies.
- He is a huge fan of the late Ayatollah Khomeini and became obsessed with his writing.
- His only friend says he was a nice guy and they didn't keep in touch anymore, but he never thought he would do anything like this.

And, obviously, he attacked him because of the fatwa against him.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1560106764456103941

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Probably worth noting that Preferential Compulsory Voting is one of the main reasons Australian democracy has been able to withstand all this as well as it has. It's not perfect by any means, but we are able to elect a fair few greens party members in both houses, while keeping the crazies out almost entirely. The voluntary-first-past-the-post-electoral-college poo poo Americans do is just absurd.

If I had a wand to make one change though, it would probably be to limit the influence of money in politics by eliminating political advertising. At the moment it is almost literally "the biggest purse wins", which is basically why the world is hosed.

Give all candidates a two page spread, a ten minute spot, and a televised debate weekend, and then go to the polls.

What’s really trippy about reading this post is thinking about how I was feeling when I read Lessig in 2011, thinking how hosed we already were by Citizens United. Fast forward to today, and well, lol, lmao.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Big Slammu posted:

What’s really trippy about reading this post is thinking about how I was feeling when I read Lessig in 2011, thinking how hosed we already were by Citizens United. Fast forward to today, and well, lol, lmao.

Brian Boyko didn't inspire you to bigger and better things?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

voluntary-first-past-the-post-electoral-college poo poo Americans do is just absurd.

"Voluntary" in that it is an artifact of how the state was initially set up and changing it is a huge bar to clear

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

GoutPatrol posted:

Brian Boyko didn't inspire you to bigger and better things?

Wow I had no idea about this LOL

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Blind Rasputin posted:

Andrew Yang's Forward thing is the first time I've ever seen someone unironically identify as a Repandercrat.

That is a term apparently so obscure that Google only gives me two hits when I look it up, and they're both to two articles written for the same website. I also don't understand what it is supposed to mean :v:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I only heard it said by someone calling in to a talk show over a decade ago. I think it is republican pandering and democrat all mushed together to be a single voting class.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Star Man posted:

That is a term apparently so obscure that Google only gives me two hits when I look it up, and they're both to two articles written for the same website. I also don't understand what it is supposed to mean :v:

At a guess, it's made up from the words Republican, Pander and Democrat, and is referring to someone who is pandering to both sides to try to peel off votes.

Unless that was meant as :thejoke:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I swear there was some political organization that had the same stupid "not it, not right, forward" slogan like a decade ago

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

More specifically it's pandering to the narcissistic idiots who see themselves as totally above ideology. Everybody knows that rear end in a top hat. He's not left or right, Democrat or Republican, he just wants common sense solutions. What are those solutions? Who loving knows. Thinking about that is ideology. But he's also very very smart because he's different from all those sheeple.

It's a party for people who have convinced themselves that they're intelligent but haven't actually given any thought about anything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fister Roboto posted:

More specifically it's pandering to the narcissistic idiots who see themselves as totally above ideology. Everybody knows that rear end in a top hat. He's not left or right, Democrat or Republican, he just wants common sense solutions. What are those solutions? Who loving knows. Thinking about that is ideology. But he's also very very smart because he's different from all those sheeple.

It's a party for people who have convinced themselves that they're intelligent but haven't actually given any thought about anything.

Again isn't this just mainstream Democrats

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fister Roboto posted:

I take it these are the same people in meeting that are always saying "good point", but never really say anything relevant or help decided anything, making their presence in the meetings completely pointless?

I see a party full of those sort of people going well, and not being completely utterly pointless.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Fister Roboto posted:

Maybe he wants an American Idol voting style call-in every day to determine what the party should do on each issue.
It's really embarrassing.

Actually, the funny thing is if he just took the highest ranked public position on everything, it would be basically a leftist party, not some mealy-mouthed centrist one. If they were seriously trying to make this "the people's party" or whatever, they would have made a list of the most popular views and said them already.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 18, 2022

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I personally know a European person like this and he just votes for the really racist party

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

JazzFlight posted:

Actually, the funny thing is if he just took the highest ranked public position on everything, it would be basically a leftist party, not some mealy-mouthed centrist one. If they were seriously trying to make this "the people's party" or whatever, they would have made a list of the most popular views and said them already.

Right at the center(hah) of this is that the Democrats at some level advocate taxing wealthier people more than low-income people and taxing businesses. Andrew Yang, a VC guy believes that businesses ultimately hold the solution to all problems and taxation at any level would hurt them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

True. Good point.

"Off a cliff", "into a raging forest fire", "directly at the tornado" and "straight into landfill" would all be examples of "forward"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

I swear there was some political organization that had the same stupid "not it, not right, forward" slogan like a decade ago

It was Bill Clinton who first said "We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling towards freedom"

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It's literally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqjhHVUzl8o

Does Yang even talk about UBI or any specific policy at all any more?

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Zwabu posted:

Does Yang even talk about UBI or any specific policy at all any more?

He has UBI in his twitter bio, what more could you want!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The really interesting thing about a Yang presidency is that both his parents are from Taiwan and his dad still lives there. That would certainly add a new tone to The Current Political SituationTM. At least you'd expect it to if Yang had any actual beliefs or ideas i guess.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

It's just radical centrism. His theory is that the radical left and radical right have hijacked the political parties and heavily polarized politics, and that the sensible moderate center have been unable to have their opinions heard due to weaknesses in the system. He's out to get the neverTrump Republicans and the centrist Democrats the representation that has been denied to them by the Progressive Activists and Devoted Conservatives, so he wants to bring them together for a political movement to restore the strength of the sensible center against the fringes that are dragging the political parties away from what REAL AMERICANS want.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Main Paineframe posted:

I think Andrew Yang isn't handling his roasting well.

https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1559863392499793920
https://twitter.com/AndrewYang/status/1559869776188641281

Not copy-pasting his whole ranty thread because it's not really anything new - just his usual philosophy wrapped up in his faux populism. What's interesting, though, is how quickly he's letting the mask slip after just a little bit of pressure. Even though he commonly frames the Forward Party as a way to restrain radical Trumpism, he's exclusively getting mad at "the left" for not acknowledging good Republicans.

To me, this is the epitome of "Silicon Valley Entrepreneur" thinking.

Step 1: Come up with a "disruptive" idea that contains a kernel of a good idea.
Step 2: Get investors to throw money at it.
Step 3: Money makes the idea become reality.

It's the same process that brought us WeWork, Theranos, and Juicero. Yang's "disruptive" idea is a real third party that differentiates and distances itself from the other two parties. How? Well, he championed UBI back in 2020, so that'll be in there somewhere. The rest? That's what the investors (donors and voters) are for, to magically make that idea become reality. Once he gets enough stakeholders, those pesky details will just fill themselves in.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
American Politics being a grift to separate people from money to do nothing except eat it is kind of sad.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Andrew Yang isn't terribly difficult to understand IMO. He's no different from any other tech bro billionaire who has been insulated from criticism for a decade or more and is consequently high on his own supply. Zuckerberg's metaverse puppets and the Forward Party are an overlapping Venn diagram.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Unclear yet how this will affect Trump and the Trump org but it's hard to look at this and not think that he's telling them everything.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1560276702433263628?s=20&t=D5S-57Yhr03P6lILcTT-Mw

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

no its bros that love South Park ( or want it to "Be Great Again"), Rick and Mort, and think Musk and Rogan are freethinking gods.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

volts5000 posted:

To me, this is the epitome of "Silicon Valley Entrepreneur" thinking.

Step 1: Come up with a "disruptive" idea that contains a kernel of a good idea.
Step 2: Get investors to throw money at it.
Step 3: Money makes the idea become reality.

It's the same process that brought us WeWork, Theranos, and Juicero. Yang's "disruptive" idea is a real third party that differentiates and distances itself from the other two parties. How? Well, he championed UBI back in 2020, so that'll be in there somewhere. The rest? That's what the investors (donors and voters) are for, to magically make that idea become reality. Once he gets enough stakeholders, those pesky details will just fill themselves in.

To add, its also business people not really understanding how policy or politics work. They've never really needed to understand and they want results for all this money they are spending to change the machinery of bureaucratic governance. Look at all the education reform groups that formed and have fallen away. Funded by billionaires thinking, just change the system how hard can it be.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

skylined! posted:

Unclear yet how this will affect Trump and the Trump org but it's hard to look at this and not think that he's telling them everything.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1560276702433263628?s=20&t=D5S-57Yhr03P6lILcTT-Mw

When Good Coffee Boys Do Bad Things

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

It's just radical centrism. His theory is that the radical left and radical right have hijacked the political parties and heavily polarized politics, and that the sensible moderate center have been unable to have their opinions heard due to weaknesses in the system. He's out to get the neverTrump Republicans and the centrist Democrats the representation that has been denied to them by the Progressive Activists and Devoted Conservatives, so he wants to bring them together for a political movement to restore the strength of the sensible center against the fringes that are dragging the political parties away from what REAL AMERICANS want.

which, again, it must be stressed, is literally just the democratic party's ruling ideology

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

which, again, it must be stressed, is literally just the democratic party's ruling ideology

And the fact that this is so very clear and obvious, and that a middle lane does not exist, just sort of reinforces that Yang is.... maybe not stupid because he has had some success with some non-profits, but not very well-informed at all, at least in regards to politics.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Rigel posted:

And the fact that this is so very clear and obvious, and that a middle lane does not exist, just sort of reinforces that Yang is.... maybe not stupid because he has had some success with some non-profits, but not very well-informed at all, at least in regards to politics.

Or at least that he might be adept at harnessing the cohort of people who want to feel like they're taking part in the system but the extent of the actual opinions they ever have amount to a 3-star restaurant review.

That way you never have to confront anyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rigel posted:

He's just a kind of dumb guy with good grades who's been able to convince a bunch of galaxy brained VC dipshits into giving him money over and over again, and is incapable of thinking about anything in any terms other than DISRUPTION.

Like, yes, the two party system is hosed and needs to be torn down--but he's incapable of seeing that we have a center status quo party and an extremist party.

He's also somehow immune to the idea that humans have been trying to solve these problems for centuries because he's convinced he's got a unique solution.

Also he's capitalism poisoned, and thus totally incapable of even seeing the problem.

Basically, Yang is a loving moron in the Musk/Rogan vein and he should gently caress off and build ships in a bottle or do literally anything else.