Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"He only wants to endanger everyone and everything you've ever known! Cease your emotions!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ugh. Thanks for the emotionless Vision again, Byrne. Another 'problem' you fixed.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Daniel Warren Johnson is just so good. From Do A Powerbomb #3.

Oops this was supposed to be in the art thread. Ah well, belongs here too.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"He only wants to endanger everyone and everything you've ever known! Cease your emotions!"

A lot worse than endanger! The Kree and Shi'ar are using a wormhole near Earth's sun to move materiel for their big space war. But every time the wormhole opens, it destabilizes the sun causing it release larger and larger solar flares which will eventually kill all life on earth. The Avengers have told the Kree and Shi'ar this, and they do not care.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Daniel Warren Johnson is just so good. From Do A Powerbomb #3.

Oops this was supposed to be in the art thread. Ah well, belongs here too.

Please don't moonsault endangered orangutans.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

goatface posted:

Please don't moonsault endangered orangutans.

Don't worry they're actually sapient aliens who just happen to look like orangutans and call themselves orangutans.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
What if they're librarians?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't know what you people are talking about. Eric Masterson is obviously Spider-man.

(I can't find the panel in question so if someone has it, please do the needful.)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Gripweed posted:

A lot worse than endanger! The Kree and Shi'ar are using a wormhole near Earth's sun to move materiel for their big space war. But every time the wormhole opens, it destabilizes the sun causing it release larger and larger solar flares which will eventually kill all life on earth. The Avengers have told the Kree and Shi'ar this, and they do not care.

That's the most realistic part of this, big nations space empires completely indifferent to the side effects of their conflicts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Admiralty Flag posted:

I don't know what you people are talking about. Eric Masterson is obviously Spider-man.

(I can't find the panel in question so if someone has it, please do the needful.)

It was Sigurd, wasn't it? Whose foreman thought he might be Spider-Man?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

It was Sigurd, wasn't it? Whose foreman thought he might be Spider-Man?

Yeah, Walt Simonson run.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahoj

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

reading it in Peter Falk's voice

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
That SNAP sfx/cap square in the middle of that dude's face is cracking me up more than it has any business doing

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Half the construction workers in the universe then disintegrated.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

That's his federal food assistance card.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Elfface posted:

Half the construction workers in the universe then disintegrated.

Only the non-union ones. No scaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabs.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Push El Burrito posted:

What if they're librarians?

If that had been the Librarian, he wouldn't have lost. :colbert:

Looks more like Lanky Kong if you ask me.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Not for nothing, but SPWA-KWOOM has to be the most off-brand bargain basement Mjolnir sound effect ever

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Man, the Thor-Gladiator fight was so good.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

Man, the Thor-Gladiator fight was so good.

Thor gets a couple of really good fights in that run. The other's with Juggernaut.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Not for nothing, but SPWA-KWOOM has to be the most off-brand bargain basement Mjolnir sound effect ever

Yeah everyone knows the real mjolnir goes BATHROOM

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Opopanax posted:

I remember reading IG before I knew who he was and being confused as hell when he has one line about how noone must know he isn't the real Thor and then it's never brought up again

It's kind of funny how Starlin clearly had no idea about Masterson as Thor until around issue #3 of Infinity Gauntlet. There's a letter balloon in one panel in #2 that was visibly thrown in by editorial at the last minute where Eric's thinking, "better not tell anybody I'm not the real Thor."

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Sandman #22 (1991)

I was curious what Lucifer was talking about here, so I looked it up, and the characterization is surprisingly close to Gaiman's.

The Demon #6 (1990)

The Demon #7 (1990)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Wow. Kinda funny how Gwen C's take in the show looks more like the version in Etrigan than The Sandman itself.

So to be clear, in The Sandman, Etrigan and presumably the rest of the DCU, you've got Lucifer, Belial, and Beelzebub running things and it's just Hellblazer that has the 3 dime store KO versions,? Well, until the First kills the other two anyway.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sentinel Red posted:

Wow. Kinda funny how Gwen C's take in the show looks more like the version in Etrigan than The Sandman itself.

So to be clear, in The Sandman, Etrigan and presumably the rest of the DCU, you've got Lucifer, Belial, and Beelzebub running things and it's just Hellblazer that has the 3 dime store KO versions,? Well, until the First kills the other two anyway.

Lucifer quits and then two angels take over, but the three from Constantine are below them or something

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bobkatt013 posted:

Lucifer quits and then two angels take over, but the three from Constantine are below them or something

They are absolutely different cosmologies, they have similarities, but since they're both based on Biblical apocrypha that's gonna happen but there's no way to sensibly reconcile the events of Seasons of Mists with Rake at the Gates of Hell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skwirl posted:

They are absolutely different cosmologies, they have similarities, but since they're both based on Biblical apocrypha that's gonna happen but there's no way to sensibly reconcile the events of Seasons of Mists with Rake at the Gates of Hell.

They mention Lucifer leaving in hellblazer so they try to combine the two.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

They mention Lucifer leaving in hellblazer so they try to combine the two.

Yeah, but it doesn't make any sense, I consider it a reference to the other one not an actual attempt to reconcile them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
If you aren't reading DO A POWERBOMB! do yourself a favor and check it out. A young wrestler gets into a wrestling tournament in Hell, hoping to bring her mother back to life. She teams up with the man who accidentally killed her to win the tournament.

Here's the last page from the most recent issue:

You could post the whole issue here.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Joe Fisto posted:

If you aren't reading DO A POWERBOMB! do yourself a favor and check it out. A young wrestler gets into a wrestling tournament in Hell, hoping to bring her mother back to life. She teams up with the man who accidentally killed her to win the tournament.

Oh poo poo the light tubes are out!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Joe Fisto posted:

MDK all mutherfuckin day

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

From today's Nightwing #96. A bunch more could have gone in this thread.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers Forever #8: On an alternate earth, Thor is unworthy and the Masters of Evil have won. He cannot wield Mjolnir but it floats behind him all the time, as though mocking him. At one point he comes across K'un L'un (where Iron Fists are trained), which is decimated aside from its guardian, Lei Kung.

This is dumb as poo poo but I love it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That is a properly metal as gently caress concept that I can get behind.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I can see the appeal of the concept on a surface level (which is usually about as far as it goes with Aaron stuff) but kung fu Thor is a bit like kung fu Spider-Man in that it feels like sugarcoating something that was already sweet and high in calories

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
no wait, before you hit that hammer, lemme give you a quick haircut

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Kung Fu Thor is actually everything I’ve wanted from comics. Like when everyone armors up in “science guy” armor for some reason. But way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I like that a lot, it's a little bittersweet how most of the retellings of Thor involve taking his hammer away from him somehow or other but that's kind of the problem with the basic Thor story anyway