Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bonster posted:

This was removed because of the rule against violent encounters. I'm sorry, what?

much like this website there are no actual rules, merely posts which make mods upset personally and those that don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bonster posted:

This was removed because of the rule against violent encounters. I'm sorry, what?

First rule of fight club: no mushrooms

AITA For not wanting to reimburse medical bills for a kid who jumped into the dryer while my clothes were drying?

quote:

So I am living in a basement suite that has a laundry room next to it. The room is shared by my and the family I am renting from as part of the rental agreement.

One day a week, the family will unlock the door in the laundry room that leads to my suite, and thus I have access to the room for the day. I put my clothes in the machine, and shut the door to the suite so that I don't hear all that ruckus. There are stairs in the laundry room that lead up to the rest of the house, so I assume that is how they access the laundry room.

I had my clothes drying in the laundry room. All of a sudden I hear yelling from the wife and next thing I know, ambulance has arrived.

I soon learn that:

1. Apparently their 4 year old opened up the dryer and climbed in.
2. Their dryer was faulty.. it doesn't shut off when you open the door. Yea....

This was last week and the kid turned out to be relatively fine.

But now the landlord and landlady want me to reimburse their son's ambulance bill and medical bill (they have no insurance), totaling $8477. 34. Because it was my laundry that the kid climbed into. (Really??)

I didn't think I was responsible because:

1. I am not in charge of watching their kid. I am paying an insane amount of rent to begin with, I didn't agree to babysit anyone in addition.
2. It is their laundry machine that is apparently faulty

But they insist and I am not sure. I went to a forum that was orientated towards landlords to see if I was really responsible. I was asked if they family ever raised rent. I have been living there for one year and 4 months, so no, I admit they did not raise rent when the lease was renewed after the first year. But still, they didn't do it for charity. I pay my rent on time everytime and don't cause a problem: I assume them not collecting a little extra is still better than the risk of trying to find a tenant that isn't trouble etc, atleast that was their thinking. Anyways, I am not planning to stay after the lease ends

Anyways I was told then by the landlords that I should be grateful that they did not raise rent and should pay up to be morally fair. AITA?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is this actually at the beginning of a Star War?

Yeah, cause you see Palpatine was alive again and broadcast a message across the universe to announce it. But this message was only visible in Fortnite.

No seriously. That text crawl and this line are all the movie does to address it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gExKT1nwVbg

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I haven't seen anything since the clones attacked so I understand very little of what's going on right now. Is Fortnite a Star War?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

sephiRoth IRA posted:

AITA For not wanting to reimburse medical bills for a kid who jumped into the dryer while my clothes were drying?

Let me ask the face eating leopards fourm if I should allow this leopard to eat my face. I want to make sure I am being fair.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I haven't seen anything since the clones attacked so I understand very little of what's going on right now. Is Fortnite a Star War?

Fortnite is everything and also somehow jj abrams made a worse star war than attack of the clones.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
No matter how many franchises Fortnite throws onto the pile, there is one thing it will never be: good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Funny thing is I heard since they finally introduced a mode without the easily cheesed building mechanics it's actually a perfectly serviceable shootmans.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

sephiRoth IRA posted:

A 30 second phone call to a lawyer would resolve this... Unless the landlords actually put this request in writing because then you have to account for how long the lawyer spends laughing at how dumb the landlord is

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

sephiRoth IRA posted:

'My landlord is screwing me, better check with other landlords to see if this is fair'

That might honestly be even more insane than asking reddit for help.

Obviously don't pay your scumbag landlord nine grand because they can't be hosed to watch their toddler lmao. Hopefully the poster doesn't live in some American hellstate and they have access to at least some bare minimum of tenants protections so they don't get ruined by this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DaysBefore posted:

'My landlord is screwing me, better check with other landlords to see if this is fair'

That might honestly be even more insane than asking reddit for help.

Obviously don't pay your scumbag landlord nine grand because they can't be hosed to watch their toddler lmao. Hopefully the poster doesn't live in some American hellstate and they have access to at least some bare minimum of tenants protections so they don't get ruined by this.

Not only can't be hosed watching their own kid, can't be hosed fixing their own drier to make it not a toddler hazard. The only way this request would have any less merit is if nothing at all happened and they just walked up to the OP and said "Hey, gimme money".

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Only getting access to the laundry room one specific day a week is also pretty hosed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Hello, mr lawyer, I injured myself in my own home, I would like to sue for damages against my neighbour whose stuff was also in the home at the same time. No he wasn't in the home at the time of the incident. No, his stuff didn't cause the injury, but I did touch it in the course of being injured.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is I heard since they finally introduced a mode without the easily cheesed building mechanics it's actually a perfectly serviceable shootmans.

It's a very fun game.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
AITA for knocking down a drone flying over me and filming when I sunbathed?

quote:

I was sunbathing in my own fenced off backyard, I was wearing a bikini but I still wanted privacy. Just chilling laying back with a beer and a book and getting a tan.

Then I saw this little drone looking thing flying high up in the sky which I thought was pretty neat. Then it started descending closer and closer and I didn't think much of it because I figured it was maybe a neighbor's and they were bringing it in.

But then it hovered right over my backyard and it seemed like someone was filming me in my bikini which was creepy af. Like I live alone, was sitting out back so nobody would see me tanning, and someone sent a loving robot to hover and film? So I grabbed a beer can and threw it and the thing. Missed with the first one but hit with the second one and knocked it down into the pool.

I didn't hear this because I was out back, and not on my phone, but I later found out from my doorbell camera, that someone had been by hitting the doorbell and banging on the door for a while.

I heard someone on the street yelling something but I didn't realize it was about me because it is a fairly tight packed neighborhood and several of the neighbors are noisy.

My friend came by later that night to hang out. She was kinda shocked to get a look at it, saying it cost like 1000 bucks. I was like "drat they could see girls in less for less at the strip club" and she got kinda frustrated with me for being so flippant

I told her I was mad at them for sending some loving robot to peep and I didn't want anyone else having that video. Then I found out they have a SD card where the videos get saved so I pulled that.

We forgot about it for the rest of the night, just hanging out drinking and catching up. When I went in to check my phone later that night I saw a bunch of doorbell cam alerts and some guy had come by.

The next day, I threw the thing out by the curb figuring the dude might be back for it and I didn't really want to run into him because I was getting a bad feeling about the whole thing. But in the early morning, he came by, picked it up, and then banged on my door.

I kept the chain on the door but talked to him through it and he was asking me how his son's drone ended up by my trash.

I was like "your son's a loving creep that's how" and he got really defensive and I told him that his kid was using the thing to be a peeping tom and he better not give the thing back.

At that, he got angry and said that it was broken, and he just wanted me to open the door and explain because we were talking about a lot of money. I told him that it maybe that's what happens when you give expensive poo poo to a child unsupervised and I shut my door.

I feel like I might have been a bit of a dick but I felt so loving creeped out by this guy either creeping on me himself and lying about a kid, or coming by my house after his kid hosed up...

AITA for what I did with the drone?

Edit : OMG i was able to load the SD card (i wasn't sure it would work because it got soaked) and the loving DAD was the one who launched the drone. Hell, if he even has a kid.

I also reported this guy to the FAA since the drone had some registration sticker on it.

I'm trying to decide if I should make a police report because even though I think he's in the wrong, the pigs around here turn a blind eye to sexual predators and are obsessed with white suburban guys being like "but myy pwoperty was damaged" and I do not wanna be on the hook for paying a loving creep a grand

At least I got a sick video of me nailing a drone with a beer while looking hot af out of it haha

OP posted:

I think it was pretty well wrecked, it was at the bottom of the pool all day because I was recovering from surgery and couldn't get it out without my friends help

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Only getting access to the laundry room one specific day a week is also pretty hosed.

Don't move to Switzerland: https://www.newlyswissed.com/a-primer-on-share-laundry-rooms-in-switzerland/

I worked with a person in Geneva who had to come to work to open the shop at 8 and then go home from 9-12 to do her laundry every Wednesday. The landlady wouldn't give her the key before 9 (even though nobody else was using it) and would be pounding on her door at 12:00 if the key hadn't already been returned. Absolute psycho petty tyrant poo poo and really common in Geneva apparently. It was one of the most insane rental markets I've ever had to deal with (San Francisco and Dublin were also hosed in different ways). Our building just had a sign up sheet (and certain residents would fill in the sheets months in advance).

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Kuros posted:

Directly into my veins

....aaaaand mods already deleted

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Kuros posted:

To preface, she did the right thing. BUT drones are FAA registered these days and while I don't know the law, I'm pretty sure what she did was illegal.

BUT again, the law is new, society is still figuring out what the rules are and hovering over someone's backyard and creeping on them is right out. She's definitely going to be better off dealing with the FAA than with her creeper neighbor.

I think there was a story a while back where a neighbor kid was operating a drone over a backyard pool where a bunch of teenage girls were hanging out. The drone kept coming around, so the dad came out and blasted it with a shotgun. I think the major source of trouble was when they refused to return the drone and when they gave it back the local cops washed their hands of it.

This is a time to establish precedents, and I think if your drone is low and stationary enough over someone's backyard that they can hit it with a beer can, it was "in" their backyard. poo poo that's a pretty decent, replicatable metric. Call it the "beer can" doctrine.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

coronatae posted:

Directly into my veins

....aaaaand mods already deleted

Lmao. Won't someone think of the precious consumer electronics? Mods? Mods?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Kuros posted:

Amazing

Could not be anymore perfect

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for Grounding My Step-Daughter for Saying She Doesn't Like Mushrooms

quote:

So, that's making a box of Mac and cheese and adding tuna and cream of mushroom soup

That sounds loving disgusting. It seems like if it was a serious concern, you could tell the kids you were just adding a can of umami to their mac & cheese. Whilst mushroom soup does have small mushroom bits, I doubt they are identifiable in that horrible slop thing.

But lying to kids is criminal.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Fatty posted:

That sounds loving disgusting. It seems like if it was a serious concern, you could tell the kids you were just adding a can of umami to their mac & cheese. Whilst mushroom soup does have small mushroom bits, I doubt they are identifiable in that horrible slop thing.

We used to do something similar with plain elbow macaroni, tuna, cream of mushroom, peas and chopped mushrooms (tried with canned mushrooms but those are gross, so ended up cooking fresh mushrooms most of the time). Sprinkle a little cheese on top. It's not gourmet but it's decent and takes like 15 minutes total. Loaded with salt, though. It's better baked but this was the classic "need to feed the kids and don't want to move much" dish.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is there a casserole that doesn't have cream of mushroom soup in it? I swear Campbell's invented the entire genre just to sell soup.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Is there a casserole that doesn't have cream of mushroom soup in it? I swear Campbell's invented the entire genre just to sell soup.

Theoretically there's at least one with cream of celery, but obviously I substituted cream of mushroom in instead

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

My MIL makes a fabulous green bean casserole that has zero cream of mushroom in it but it's also 75% gruyere by weight

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
It might be a UK US divide, but to us, casserole is anything slow cooked in a dutch oven. I guess like a stew or something with tender meat.

I will get destroyed for trying to describe a UK casserole, but thats the way of food chat.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
So the goal of this parent is for their younger kids to not be brainwashed into not liking foods their big sister doesn't like? They don't say anything about not being rude or negative. If all three of these kids know that setting food aside and quietly not eating it is code for "I don't like it," I don't see how the strategy can last for very long.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Fatty posted:

It might be a UK US divide, but to us, casserole is anything slow cooked in a dutch oven. I guess like a stew or something with tender meat.

I will get destroyed for trying to describe a UK casserole, but thats the way of food chat.

Don't even loving start with what you guys call a "pudding" ie literally everything

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

So the goal of this parent is for their younger kids to not be brainwashed into not liking foods their big sister doesn't like? They don't say anything about not being rude or negative. If all three of these kids know that setting food aside and quietly not eating it is code for "I don't like it," I don't see how the strategy can last for very long.

It's an incredibly stupid rule because for all the times one of my kids says "I don't like it" and the other one agrees, there's "well I like it".

Kids want to be individuals, you don't have to have psycho rules to try and keep their preferences hidden from each other. As you point out it won't work anyways.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

It's a lot less likely little kids will notice food left on a plate or someone not eating something compared to that person talking about how much they dislike a food.

Related, all kids tv that makes jokes about EEEW VEGETABLES ARE GROSS should be banned.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

About 100% of all casseroles ever made have had exactly no cream of mushroom soup in them.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Solenna posted:

It's a lot less likely little kids will notice food left on a plate or someone not eating something compared to that person talking about how much they dislike a food.

Related, all kids tv that makes jokes about EEEW VEGETABLES ARE GROSS should be banned.

yeah, I get behind this, same with how kids shows used to relate to kids by going on and on about how school sucks and teachers suck. It's not wrong but it doesn't help set the right frame of mind.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Uncle Enzo posted:

To preface, she did the right thing. BUT drones are FAA registered these days and while I don't know the law, I'm pretty sure what she did was illegal.

BUT again, the law is new, society is still figuring out what the rules are and hovering over someone's backyard and creeping on them is right out. She's definitely going to be better off dealing with the FAA than with her creeper neighbor.

Nope. IIRC a few of these kinds of drone stories have come up & FAA has already ruled it illegal to fly them within a certain distance of peoples' homes. She was perfectly within her right to knock it down, especially with it being close enough to throw something & hit it. Creeper dad is about to be in a whole world of poo poo if/when she contacts the FAA & local authorities.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

Electric Wrigglies posted:

yeah, I get behind this, same with how kids shows used to relate to kids by going on and on about how school sucks and teachers suck. It's not wrong but it doesn't help set the right frame of mind.

Bullying also. "Let's take the stigma away and show how to handle bullying" == Every single kids show about school extensively depicting bullying left and right, making it look extremely common and normal. Hey kid chances are you're going to get bullied, they're loving everywhere

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Fatty posted:

If you want some umami/mushroom flavor without using a can of gloopy cheap soup, used dried mushrooms. You steep them in a cup or two of hot water for a bit (lots of guides how to do this online). It's like amazingly flavored mushroom broth. The dried mushrooms keep forever and are pretty cheap. You get way more flavor without the kind of crappy textured bits of mushroom from canned mushroom. Sub that broth for water/chicken stock in various recipes, it's awesome.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

Rescue Toaster posted:

If you want some umami/mushroom flavor without using a can of gloopy cheap soup, used dried mushrooms. You steep them in a cup or two of hot water for a bit (lots of guides how to do this online). It's like amazingly flavored mushroom broth. The dried mushrooms keep forever and are pretty cheap. You get way more flavor without the kind of crappy textured bits of mushroom from canned mushroom. Sub that broth for water/chicken stock in various recipes, it's awesome.

And then add a can of cream of mushroom soup?

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

coronatae posted:

My MIL makes a fabulous green bean casserole that has zero cream of mushroom in it but it's also 75% gruyere by weight

My wife is allergic to mushrooms and loves gruyere, any chance at getting this recipe?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Nope. IIRC a few of these kinds of drone stories have come up & FAA has already ruled it illegal to fly them within a certain distance of peoples' homes. She was perfectly within her right to knock it down, especially with it being close enough to throw something & hit it. Creeper dad is about to be in a whole world of poo poo if/when she contacts the FAA & local authorities.

Good, I supported her course of action and I'm happy to be wrong about the applicable law

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Eh, illegal to fly is not at all the same as legal to knock/shoot down, destroy, and/or keep the drone.

But the FAA's system is obviously dumb as poo poo, if the drone flies away how would you ever get the tag (assuming it's properly registered) to report them to the FAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Traxus IV posted:

My wife is allergic to mushrooms and loves gruyere, any chance at getting this recipe?

This is a HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL recipe last time I was at their house I saw the original handwritten recipe and took a bunch of surreptitious phone pics like a KGB spy

Then my MIL made me a copy anyways lol

Melt 2tbsp butter, blend in 2tbsp flour, once blended add 1/2tsp salt, 1/4tsp pepper, 1/2tsp sugar, 1/2 cup milk. Cook for 1 minute, remove from heat and add 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2tsp grated onion. Drain 2 cans French-cut green beans very well, mix with the sauce. Grate 1 1/2 cups gruyere, fill a baking dish with alternating layers of green bean/sauce mixture and shredded cheese. 400F for 20 minutes. Serves 4-6 (allegedly, I will fight for extra helpings)

I play fast and loose with the amount of cheese because I'm a cheesy cheesy gal, but I have never had a bad rendition of this dish. You could probably do fresh green beans but I try not to mess with perfection