Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

This is a Commander Card so probably no Deserts in the main set

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yay Rogah! Slowly but slowly my kobold tribal deck is getting more gas.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am digging this set. I dig another 1 of goblin to throw into goblins. I dig Lily getting cheaper.

Good stuff.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Is sphinx of clear skies commander or main set? I don't like how similar the set symbols are.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

wizards really leaning into the MCU aesthetic huh

It's just so awful, they work with hundreds of talented artists and instead chose to put this out.

What a goddamn turd.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
heck yeah kobolds

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

snyprmag posted:

Is sphinx of clear skies commander or main set? I don't like how similar the set symbols are.

Main set, the Commander cards have the white moustache.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

snyprmag posted:

main set

check the collector number to find out what set something is in. DMU is the main set, DMC is commander

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Compleated Ajani isn't what I wanted for Commander. I mean his first two abilities are Boring Ajani. But that ult is fantastic, especially when I can kill someone by casting Whitemane Lion over and over.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The design is kind of cool because it’s two boring rear end Ajani abilities and then oh no he’s a secret agent and his ult is bad rear end and cool!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Cactrot posted:

It's just so awful, they work with hundreds of talented artists and instead chose to put this out.

What a goddamn turd.

Who are those people even?
I see Chandra of course. Big guy looked like Angrath, but Angrath is no cyclops. Then Dina from Strixhaven.. maybe supposed to be Vraska, would be cool. Chariot rider? He has Chalix's wreath, rides the nyariot so it might me the Kaldheim elf, or Niko who stole the chariot. And finally spiderman for some reason.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MasterBuilder posted:

Doesn't that just add to general bloat instead? And wouldn't sticking to keywords even in small numbers make the rare keywords more recognizable when they get their time in the spotlight.

It's a weird thing, where you have ability words like Constellation, which are all templated "Constellation -- when an enchantment enters play, do ~" rather than "Constellation -- do ~" which would force you to remember that Constellation is enchantments entering.

It's also in italics, same way that "flavor words" like "Magical Tinkering" on Oswald Fiddlebender is, where there's no actual referenced ability called Magical Tinkering, and it's just flavor text.

And these are separate from keyword actions like Surveil or Mill, which refer to specific game actions.

Where it gets messed up is when cards refer to keyword abilities, and you're not positive if the card has been errated from the old templating to use the new keyword or not.

For example, Serra Angel has been reprinted with errata to have Vigilance, rather than the old wording, so it'll be effected by cards like Cairn Wanderer and Odric, Lunarch Marshal who care whether creatures have that keyword.

But a card like Enhanced Surveillance doesn't effect a card like Search for Azcanta, even though it could be errated to say "At the beginning of your upkeep, Surveil 1.Then, if you have seven or more cards in your graveyard, you may transform Search for Azcanta."

Meanwhile, older cards that have never been reprinted like Hair-Strung Koto have been errated to say "Tap an untapped creature you control: Target player mills a card." so it'll trigger abilities like Bruvac the Grandiloquent's.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

I see Chandra of course. Big guy looked like Angrath, but Angrath is no cyclops. Then Dina from Strixhaven.. maybe supposed to be Vraska, would be cool. Chariot rider? He has Chalix's wreath, rides the nyariot so it might me the Kaldheim elf, or Niko who stole the chariot. And finally spiderman for some reason.

Chariot rider is Esika God of the Tree from Kaldheim. Big cyclops is Borborygmos from Ravnica. Spiderman is Baral Chief of Compliance from Kaladesh

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

"spiderman" is Baral, the rear end in a top hat blue cop from Kaladesh who killed Chandra's father

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
wait i thought baral was an rear end in a top hat that the walkers hated

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

So, how do all those people end up on the same plane?
Though Baral planeswalker would be funny. I hope he gets a "this is legal in commander" line.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Cactrot posted:

What a goddamn turd.

Okay now people can rightfully complain about Magic Avengers jesus christ

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm pretty interested to see how good LOTV is in standard. It's flood seems pretty low but it's also kind of older timy design.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

Though Baral planeswalker would be funny. I hope he gets a "this is legal in commander" line.

Phyrexians are growing their World Tree to invade other planes so probably they are doing the super version of Rath overlay

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Cactrot posted:

What a goddamn turd.

It's Magicthegatheringmaster Anthony's birthday, and he's 30!

That means only one thing.... BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

VictualSquid posted:

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1560321407489277953

Big "now you done hosed up" energy from the Phyrexians here. Kinda like how Bolas thought it'd be a smart idea to enact his kill all planeswalkers and absorb their powers plan on the most populous and high-magic Plane in the multiverse.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

snyprmag posted:

This card is really loving good.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

New Braids is kinda disappointing

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1560341773116854272

The rest of the cycle are in the Brothers War.

I'm interested in the new common or uncommon land cycle that we saw some art of during the World Building stream. Tri-lands?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Once the Phyrexians get owned, who is even left for bad guys?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

So if all those people are there one planeswalker and the others very much not planeswalkers......one would assume that more Planar Portals have either been opened up all leading to a giant rear end fight on either Dominaria or New Phyrexia, or with Teferi going back in time and loving around during Urza and Mishra's fight, planeswalkers get a temp boost in power back to godlike levels to take other non planeswalkers with them to the giant rear end Avengers Endgame fight..........oh what the gently caress am I thinking of course it's going to be a shitload of Planar Portals bringing in everyone that's EXACTLY what happened in Endgame so then that would mean Teferi brings ANOTHER Planar Portal machine back with him courtesy of Urza, find one buried in the ruins of Urborg, or Tezzerett defects/sacrifices himself and gives the good guys the portal machine he embedded in himself.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Not good or strong, but this lets black eat the Contract style “lose the game” enchantments at least.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Multiverse

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/1560341773116854272

The rest of the cycle are in the Brothers War.

I'm interested in the new common or uncommon land cycle that we saw some art of during the World Building stream. Tri-lands?

My guess is ETB tapped duals with land types to support domain but are strictly worse than shocklands

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Jiro posted:

So if all those people are there one planeswalker and the others very much not planeswalkers......one would assume that more Planar Portals have either been opened up all leading to a giant rear end fight on either Dominaria or New Phyrexia, or with Teferi going back in time and loving around during Urza and Mishra's fight, planeswalkers get a temp boost in power back to godlike levels to take other non planeswalkers with them to the giant rear end Avengers Endgame fight..........oh what the gently caress am I thinking of course it's going to be a shitload of Planar Portals bringing in everyone that's EXACTLY what happened in Endgame so then that would mean Teferi brings ANOTHER Planar Portal machine back with him courtesy of Urza, find one buried in the ruins of Urborg, or Tezzerett defects/sacrifices himself and gives the good guys the portal machine he embedded in himself.

GamemasterAnthony's Birthday: The Aftermath

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Theres already painlands in Pioneer and they get like zero play. What we needed is the other 5 fastlands.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

fadam posted:

Ob Nixilis

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mcmagic posted:

Theres already painlands in Pioneer and they get like zero play. What we needed is the other 5 fastlands.

mcmagic does it again

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Eej posted:

mcmagic does it again

Fine, ya got me, they see play in one or two fringe decks. The fastlands are a MUCH larger part of the format.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1560321407489277953

Big "now you done hosed up" energy from the Phyrexians here. Kinda like how Bolas thought it'd be a smart idea to enact his kill all planeswalkers and absorb their powers plan on the most populous and high-magic Plane in the multiverse.

Ah, finally, an in-universe explanation as to how the Sense of Right Alliance Cartoon All-Stars Universes Beyond have come together to defeat the Phyrexians...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I wish it wasnt a may ability, feels more flavorful to original braids if theres no choice

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fadam posted:

oko

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

fadam posted:

Eldrazi.
Some random local villian. Strixhaven and new Innistrad were fun.
Nicol Bolas has escaped, assemble 5 planeswalkers with an attitude.
e: also, Oko

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mandatory lesbian posted:

I wish it wasnt a may ability, feels more flavorful to original braids if theres no choice

Ya it’s a real knock on the cards power. Woulda been real nice to sac your thing to kill their thing if they only got 1 of that kind of permanent.

I’m bummed cause braids is one of my fav cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

fadam posted:

Probably Vecna from Stranger Things teaming with Negan from Walking Dead and maybe.......gently caress it The Master from Doctor Who?