Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

surf rock posted:

I've got a list of shows that I want to watch, but very limited viewing time. I'd love input on what I should prioritize next, based on what I've liked so far.

First, here's my backlog of shows:

Gunbuster
Princess Tutu
Diebuster
Samurai Champloo
Kaiba
K-On!
FMA: Brotherhood
Chihayafuru
Hyouka
Attack on Titan
Shirobako
Mob Psycho 100
Girls' Last Tour
A Place Further Than The Universe
Kaguya-sama: Love is War
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken!
Odd Taxi
My Dress-Up Darling
Sonny Boy
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
The Executioner and Her Way of Life
Spy x Family

And next, here's how I felt about the anime I've watched:

Thank you!

Gunbuster and Diebuster together are 12 eps, both fantastic, and the back half of gunbuster in particular was pretty influential.

After that I'd do either A Place Further Than The Universe for a really good adventuring/coming of age story or Mob Psych 100 for for a very well animated action series with a lot of heart and good character writing, though it takes a couple of episodes to really get good imo.

After that, if you wanna learn about the process of making anime you have Shirobako showing the industry side of anime production, and Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! shows similar things about the production of anime from a much smaller, school project perspective and combines it with great visual metaphors.

Princess tutu is a great magical girl show with sone fantastic character animation and a great meta narrative. Chihayafuru is a fantastic combination of a sports anime and romance anime, combined with a fantastic OST.Girls Last Tour is a somber, sometimes heartwarming, tale of people trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic world. And Odd Taxi is a mystery thriller with a really unique sense of style, especially when it comes to the naturalistic dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks all! Super helpful, I appreciate it!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Kaiba is one of the most unique anime I've ever seen, it's hard to say if you'll love it but it's one of those things that everyone should at least try to experience. I should really rewatch it some time.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RabidWeasel posted:

Kaiba is one of the most unique anime I've ever seen, it's hard to say if you'll love it but it's one of those things that everyone should at least try to experience. I should really rewatch it some time.

What's it about or does having the concept described spoil the experience and one should go in blind?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

What's it about or does having the concept described spoil the experience and one should go in blind?

it's a dystopian story about transhumanism. it's also a love story. it's a lot of things

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaiba is more of a visual experience than a narrative imo

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I remember there was some hype on internet for Terra Formas before the anime debuted, not sure maybe it won some awards or it had high sales. But drat the first season is a pile of poo poo. It's made by Lidenfilms and it just looks terrible, looks like some mid 2010s JC staff level crap. I mean the story is even more problematic than that. That being said its so stupid I was wondering what happens in season 2.

Not sure if anyone here has watched Big Order but that's the only anime that was worse than this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't know why you'd even want to seek out Terra Formars unless you went in completely blind and hadn't seen a single picture of the aliens before hitting play.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't know why you'd even want to seek out Terra Formars unless you went in completely blind and hadn't seen a single picture of the aliens before hitting play.

Not sure what you are trying to imply about people who saw Terra Formas if they saw the aliens before watching the show cause that's some crazy mental gymnastics you're doing.

I usually never look at trailers for anime before watching them so I did go in blind but I just wanted to know why people talked about it years ago, also I recently finished but had seen most of the episodes years ago.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The main thing I remember from the discussion surrounding Terra formars was that most people were in agreement that the aliens appearance was pretty drat racist against black people. Not implying anything against you personally I just figured that particular stink preceded the franchise.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 20, 2022

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

Barakamon, Silver Spoon, Flying Witch, Hanasaku Iroha, Natsume's Book of Friends

Tamayura and Kamichu aren't quite inaka but they're both in small towns on the Seto inland sea and have a similar vibe to these

if non slice of life stuff is okay, Shiki is a very good horror series about rural life

Around halfway through Barakamon and it hasn't really clicked with me yet, but I like it enough to finish it. Eating episodes every couple of days so far.

On episode 2 of Silver Spoon and it is fantastic. I think I skipped it in the past because I was given a poor description of it being harvest moon done by the FMA lady which was a pass for me. The trade school aspect and making sure you appreciate the food you eat is making me really like it.

It reminds me a lot of my time in sea cadet camps which were honestly regimented like a boarding school to learn a trade. Those 4am alarms and walks in the fog in the show make me feel so nostalgic since that's exactly what it was like for us if it was our turn to maintain boats, cook at the mess hall for everyone on base, and on top of that do extracurriculars like practicing with band and drill teams for Ceremony of the Flags in Victoria.

Showing all the hard work involved seems to be giving Hachiken (and the audience) an understanding about everything that goes into raising and caring for livestock. Those two things together is making him appreciate mealtimes much more which I reallyl like!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Hey lupin the first was a pretty fun movie thanks for the rec

Can anyone tell me more about the woman called fujiko mine? Spoiler free, but like all I know really is it's written by Mari okada, it obviously focuses on fujiko, and has a more serious tone (slightly more? Much more? Idk)

Between the castle of caglistrogo and the first she seems like a really fun character, I love this idea that there's a second chaos elemental out there having her own insane adventures and we're just seeing where her crazy plots intersect with whatever lupin is doing. Also she seems like 10x more likely than jigen the gun expert to solve problems by abruptly pulling out a machine gun, and that's cool. Unfortunately my friend has informed me that in most of the lupin media he's seen these two movies are an outlier and she's usually little more than a poorly done bond girl, which sucks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well that's because you're comparing against Mari Okada at the top of her game. For what it's worth I do enjoy Fujiko's antics in Part 2 a lot and I'd say A Woman Called Fujiko Mine is worth a watch for the art style alone.

EDIT. And this isn't anime but if you really liked Lupin the First you should go watch The Adventures of Tintin.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 20, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Oh I should note this friend hasn't seen a woman called fujiko mine so idk how well she's treated there

I had actually assumed "pretty well" until now I guess lol

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fujiko also gets a lot of good stuff in Part V, which starts with her and Lupin very much on the outs. Her relationship with Lupin gets multiple focus episodes, even.

She doesn't get quite as bad a run in 6 as Zenigata does, but that season is a massive step down for her.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Hey lupin the first was a pretty fun movie thanks for the rec

Can anyone tell me more about the woman called fujiko mine? Spoiler free, but like all I know really is it's written by Mari okada, it obviously focuses on fujiko, and has a more serious tone (slightly more? Much more? Idk)

Between the castle of caglistrogo and the first she seems like a really fun character, I love this idea that there's a second chaos elemental out there having her own insane adventures and we're just seeing where her crazy plots intersect with whatever lupin is doing. Also she seems like 10x more likely than jigen the gun expert to solve problems by abruptly pulling out a machine gun, and that's cool. Unfortunately my friend has informed me that in most of the lupin media he's seen these two movies are an outlier and she's usually little more than a poorly done bond girl, which sucks.

I feel like she's only treated like a bond girl in a lot of the crummier movies. The Woman Called Fujiko Mine rules and takes a few swerves to avoid some common pitfalls with her character that a weaker work would fully embrace. In most of the regular tv shows it's always a hoot when she tries to backstab Lupin and peace out with whatever treasure he was after. It works a lot but not all the time so it rarely feels rote.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Srice posted:

In most of the regular tv shows it's always a hoot when she tries to backstab Lupin and peace out with whatever treasure he was after. It works a lot but not all the time so it rarely feels rote.

Yeah the fact that parts 1-3 are episodic and not serialized* helps avoid things being too predictable, in that they can kind of just end the episodes when the main plot is over, without having to resolve 'so Lupin is stuck in Antarctica now' or 'so lupin and his gang have billions of dollars now', or whatever in later episodes. Next week he'll be fighting sherlock holmes on a blimp or something.

Also it means you can ignore the more poorly-written episodes a lot easier, I'm looking at you, Part 2, episode 87, 'Lupin rescues the Gestapo for some reason'

*With the exception of an amazing episode callback in part 2 that I don't want to spoil

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Aug 21, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
fujiko-in-peril does happen sometimes in the shows, though, it's just that if anything is her default state it's the heist-based psychosexual dominance game with lupin

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

The main thing I remember from the discussion surrounding Terra formars was that most people were in agreement that the aliens appearance was pretty drat racist against black people. Not implying anything against you personally I just figured that particular stink preceded the franchise.

I definitely think the design is poo poo but the terraformar are literally super human and superior to humans in every way, genetically in terms of strength and intelligence. There is also actual black characters in the show and they seem just fine. So I don't know if the author is racist or not since other than the design the rest doesn't indicate much racism. It definitely is a quite bad show regardless but it actually doesn't pretend that Japan is the whole world like other shows. I think there is characters from many different countries that join the missions to Mars.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Passing along from the ippo thread, but a bunch of series coming to Netflix soon, including parasite and Monster.

Death Note
Death Note: Relight 1 (Death Note Relight - Visions of a God)
Death Note: Relight 2 (Death Note Relight 2 - L's Successors)
From Me to You
From Me to You 2nd Season
1997 Berserk
Parasyte -the maxim-
NANA
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!
Monster

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-08-29/netflix-to-add-13-anime-titles-in-nippon-tv-deal/.189096

Very excited for more people to see monster!!!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Im sick af and looking for something to watch. I used to be into anime a lot when I was a kid and you'd hike to that one comic book store that rented dvds.

I love heroes journeys like last exile. Lately on netflix and stuff Ive watched stuff like a silent voice, your name etc. I dug ride your wave. I also watched long riders and thought it amazing because I binged it with my cycling buddy right when I was getting heavy into riding. Hanebado rocked my world.

I tend to be extremely picky about anime that's 'too anime' in its story line when it comes to 'the (robots/aliens/whatever we're fighting) are actually (angels/our future evolved selves/god) and we need to defeat it with the power of (weird rear end chanting/music/love) which is kinda what turned me off of anime back in the day.

I definitley dont want anything overdramatic.

So whatcha got for me?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You like buddy cop stuff? Tiger and Bunny is a pretty great super hero buddy cop show, seems like it might fit as something that’s less “conventional” than some other things.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Im sick af and looking for something to watch. I used to be into anime a lot when I was a kid and you'd hike to that one comic book store that rented dvds.

I love heroes journeys like last exile. Lately on netflix and stuff Ive watched stuff like a silent voice, your name etc. I dug ride your wave. I also watched long riders and thought it amazing because I binged it with my cycling buddy right when I was getting heavy into riding. Hanebado rocked my world.

I tend to be extremely picky about anime that's 'too anime' in its story line when it comes to 'the (robots/aliens/whatever we're fighting) are actually (angels/our future evolved selves/god) and we need to defeat it with the power of (weird rear end chanting/music/love) which is kinda what turned me off of anime back in the day.

So whatcha got for me?

What live action or western animation shows do you like?

Is there like, a genre you're interested in? Looking for something action oriented, mysteries, romance? Sounds like you've been watching movies (which will generally be much more visually impressive than shows), is animation and visual quality important for you?

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 31, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Avatar, The Dragon Prince, The Witcher, How to train your dragon series, The OA, Black Sails, The Mandalorian, Stranger Things to name a few.

What I'm looking for most is heroes journey type stuff. You know where someone (kid adult whoever idgaf) grows as a person while travelling and collecting friends along the way.

When searching for something else I stumbled upon Made in Abyss and watched the first ep. It seems fun. Does it get bad?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Made in abyss recently got its thread gassed and someone demodded over it

EDIT: sorry I was too quick on the gun here demodded is inaccurate, elaborated on a bit below if you're finding this as a search result or something

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 31, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh... oh no...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mob psycho 100 is pretty anime but it's about a kid growing up and achieving self actualization, he doesn't fight god or anything at the end so it sounds like it's not too anime in the aspect you're looking at.

Moribito is a pretty chill anime that is kind of along the lines you're talking about. The kid isnt the action hero but also the action is pretty rare

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I literally just saw it in passing and clicked and went 'oh hey kids explore caves for treasure' please dont tell me I stumbled upon something thats gonna put me on a list.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ninjewtsu posted:

Mob psycho 100 is pretty anime but it's about a kid growing up and achieving self actualization, he doesn't fight god or anything at the end so it sounds like it's not too anime in the aspect you're looking at.

Moribito is a pretty chill anime that is kind of along the lines you're talking about. The kid isnt the action hero but also the action is pretty rare

I'll have you know that the ultimate form of self actualization is attacking and dethroning god, sir.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ok so correction now that I've had a bit more time to recall the situation namtab didn't get demodded, they stepped down (reasons largely unrelated to made in abyss itself and more because less than a day into being made mod they got handed a poo poo sandwich and said "nah I'm out", I believe batman does not approve of MiA) But there was a big QCS blowup over it so that may be a bit of a sore spot atm lol. Long story short it gets to very uncomfortable levels of "someone's thinly veiled child torture fetish is on display" and has been determined to be unacceptable for discussion in this forum.

There's a lot of "mainstream" stuff picking it up and the people who watch it consider it a critical darling so you know, your choice there. Imo the videos shown were pretty grody and I went from "probably won't watch" to "definitely will never watch"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 31, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Supremezero posted:

I'll have you know that the ultimate form of self actualization is attacking and dethroning god, sir.

can't wait for the K6BD anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

I literally just saw it in passing and clicked and went 'oh hey kids explore caves for treasure' please dont tell me I stumbled upon something thats gonna put me on a list.

It airs on Toonami, the manga is sold at Barnes & Noble, and a game based on the series was featured in a Nintendo Direct. Which is to say you're not gonna be put on a list. Anyways my recommendation is Oddtaxi since it's the kind of show that's good in a way that's easily recommendable to almost anyone.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

EvilJoven posted:

It devolves into vivid body horror depictions of children suffering and dying, so maybe don't go with that series if you want something lighthearted.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mentat Radnor posted:

It devolves into vivid body horror depictions of children suffering and dying, so maybe don't go with that series if you want something lighthearted.

:yikes:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

So whatcha got for me?
liz and the blue bird is a movie by the same director as silent voice, its also really good.

wrt hanebado, run like the wind is a really good, pretty grounded sports anime? theres some other good sports anime but theyre more 'we have to win the tournament' type stuff. there's a more competitive cycling anime, yowamushi pedal, but its pretty exaggerated, but if you're into cycling irl it might still be worth a look.

super cub is a relatively light 'girls get into ___' thing like long riders only its about motorcycles. specifically the super cub. its about the honda super cub. its good tho. yuru camp is also good and its that but about camping if you have any interest in camping.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 31, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
LOL I love camping. I'm a few mins in and yuru camp is definitley long riders goes camping lets give this a go.

Edit: omg this is dope. Also I've been camping for 35 years and last weekend was the trip where someone introduced me to camping ramen.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Aug 31, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell yeah

yuru camp's rad, and its got two seasons. plus a movie that should be hitting home video/possibly streaming here in the next couple months.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Passing along from the ippo thread, but a bunch of series coming to Netflix soon, including parasite and Monster.

Death Note
Death Note: Relight 1 (Death Note Relight - Visions of a God)
Death Note: Relight 2 (Death Note Relight 2 - L's Successors)
From Me to You
From Me to You 2nd Season
1997 Berserk
Parasyte -the maxim-
NANA
Hajime no Ippo: The Fighting!
Monster

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-08-29/netflix-to-add-13-anime-titles-in-nippon-tv-deal/.189096

Very excited for more people to see monster!!!

I'm generally whatever about anime getting onto Netflix, but I'm legit excited to see Monster not only available on a streaming platform but on something where it can reach mainstream audiences. It's one of those rare anime series where it's just plain good television you can show to anyone, and I really hope it gets some love and attention as a drat good drama series.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Same feelings here. Having Monster and NANA on Netflix is awesome, both series are fantastic and very different from what often ends up being the mainstream perception of anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm pumped for 1997 Berserk. My housemates recently watched the Golden Age films for the first time a few weeks ago and I had only seen the 97 show, so it'll be cool if they can see the better version.